U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,029,326 times

Advertisements

Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,141,495 times
Hmmm...

Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 AM

3,992 posts, read 3,647,583 times
And I was worried that UT would find it hard to get someone coach the Vols. Florida gets rid of a coach that has won SEC Eastern Conference twice.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:28 AM

6,579 posts, read 10,315,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
And I was worried that UT would find it hard to get someone coach the Vols. Florida gets rid of a coach that has won SEC Eastern Conference twice.
McElwain's a good coach and a lousy recruiter. He's also a gigantic drama queen and is about as loyal as Dennis Erickson and Dennis Franchione. Tennessee would be better off looking at Matt Campbell from Iowa State or (if he gets his season turned around) Mike MacIntyre from CU.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 AM

23,397 posts, read 11,589,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
McElwain's a good coach and a lousy recruiter. He's also a gigantic drama queen and is about as loyal as Dennis Erickson and Dennis Franchione. Tennessee would be better off looking at Matt Campbell from Iowa State or (if he gets his season turned around) Mike MacIntyre from CU.
McElwain is a much more proven coach than either of the 2 you named.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 AM

2,552 posts, read 1,845,374 times
Unfortunately for Tennessee and Florida both, Kirby Smart may be turning Georgia into a powerhouse as hard to beat in the east as Alabama is in the west. Both Florida and Tennessee HC's will be expected to beat Georgia sooner rather than later.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,193,143 times
McElwain was always a bad fit at UF. This year proved that in lots of ways. I never liked the hire myself and I'm not sorry to see him leave UF.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Wow!
Not surprising. No one in FL liked the man then he started lying about death threats and losing by lopsided scores.......writing was on the wall for the dude.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:57 AM

1,144 posts, read 563,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
McElwain was always a bad fit at UF. This year proved that in lots of ways. I never liked the hire myself and I'm not sorry to see him leave UF.
I was shocked with the way he handled Will Grier's suspension. I saw that Ole Miss game with Grier at quarterback. That was the best home game I had ever seen. The stadium and campus were awesome and intense. The fan frenzy was at a maximum. The Gators annihilated Ole Miss shortly after they had beaten Alabama. That was in 2015. The intensity of the UF - Ole Miss game was better than the Notre Dame games with Holtz I had seen in-person.

Then it suddenly ended. Grier made a mistake with an over-the-counter medication with an NCAA-banned substance (unbeknownst to him). Then he was gone. Now, Grier is fantastic at WV. Meanwhile, no Florida quarterback has been able to match the success of that day. It's a shame.

I am a Florida graduate with a master's degree. But I also went to FSU. Both schools are suffering right now. However, it's only temporary. Both have won championships within the past decade.

By contrast, Notre Dame hasn't won a legitimate championship since the 1970s with Dan Devine. The last championship of 1988 was tainted by steroid abuse (see Steve Huffman's articles on google with "steroids"+"Notre Dame" as a search parameter-set). Notre Dame hasn't been relevant since the era of Joe Montana (LOL). They also lost at home to an SEC team. Imagine having to play Georgia or Alabama at a neutral site.

So UF will be back. FSU will easily make a comeback as well. For now, the premier in-state match is the "War on I-4" with UCF and USF. Miami may also work its way into the CFP soon. FSU and UF are definitely down this year though.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:39 PM

21,237 posts, read 30,486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Why in the heck would he leave a Big 12 program on an upward trajectory for an SEC program on the way down that has to compete with the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and LSU year in and year out? The Big 12 is much thinner and on near equal footing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or