Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:48 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times

Advertisements

With Jimbo Fisher recently signing a 10 year 75 million deal and with Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh getting 6-10 million a year and with several assistant coaches getting over a million dollars per year. i think the salaries are getting out of control. Pretty soon a coach will sign a 100 million deal.

I can see maybe a private school paying that amount but i think it's ridiculous that a state school would pay that amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
With Jimbo Fisher recently signing a 10 year 75 million deal and with Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh getting 6-10 million a year and with several assistant coaches getting over a million dollars per year. i think the salaries are getting out of control. Pretty soon a coach will sign a 100 million deal.

I can see maybe a private school paying that amount but i think it's ridiculous that a state school would pay that amount.
Man, that ship sailed years ago.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post

In 39 of the 50 states, the highest paid government employee is either a college men's basketball coach or college football coach. THIS is the direction our county has gone AND NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE. At least in my state (South Dakota) the highest paid government employee is the dean of the Medical School. At least THAT makes sense to me.

39 US states where the highest-paid public employee is a college coach - Business Insider

Old 12-21-2017, 06:15 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
In 39 of the 50 states, the highest paid government employee is either a college men's basketball coach or college football coach. THIS is the direction our county has gone AND NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE. At least in my state (South Dakota) the highest paid government employee is the dean of the Medical School. At least THAT makes sense to me.

39 US states where the highest-paid public employee is a college coach - Business Insider
That makes sense to me too.

Since they are state employees they really need to institute some cap.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:50 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
I am surprised there isn't some kind of a cap. I guess that's what happens when programs are profiting 50+ million a year.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:15 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Unless you can get all 50 states to put a cap in, and make it the same everywhere.. Not going to fly.

Someone like Urban Meyer.. He's going where he can get the most dollars.

Others, like Dabo and some others, Jerry Kill comes to mind.. They would stay at the same university until they either just didn't want to do it anymore or until they were shown the door, so long as the pay was marginally acceptable.

At least, that's my reading on those handful of coaches I mentioned.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:31 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, et al make money for their educational institutions - these guys put a product out on the gridiron that puts butts into stadium seats and that bring in the big TV network dollars. At schools like Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, etc, the football programs pay for a majority, if not the entirety of each university's athletic programs. Throw in the free advertising these universities get for the football and basketball programs and it's actually understandable why the coaches are paid so much - they're rain makers.

College football/basketball coaches - they aren't public servants but rather corporate chief executive officers.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, et al make money for their educational institutions - these guys put a product out on the gridiron that puts butts into stadium seats and that bring in the big TV network dollars. At schools like Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, etc, the football programs pay for a majority, if not the entirety of each university's athletic programs. Throw in the free advertising these universities get for the football and basketball programs and it's actually understandable why the coaches are paid so much - they're rain makers.

College football/basketball coaches - they aren't public servants but rather corporate chief executive officers.
Absolutely big name football programs bring in big dollars for these schools.

Next this is how free market works. Why shouldn't they get paid that much?? They've got a commodity everyone wants

Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Absolutely big name football programs bring in big dollars for these schools.

Next this is how free market works. Why shouldn't they get paid that much?? They've got a commodity everyone wants
Just like actors, star singers, and professional athletes, they are in great demand with a lot of competition for the best coaches, so their pay goes up and up. A good coach means more wins, and that means more ticket and TV revenue. Just like any industry where the best people are poached from other companies. The only difference is that it looks like we are paying for that with our tax money. Actually, in most cases only a small fraction or even NONE is from taxes, the rest or all of it is from the ticket sales and television revenues.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:06 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Yeah, I had read that the money the Ohio State football program brought in paid 100% of the athletic departments bills. They then often transfer millions over to the academic side of campus. I'm sure this goes for other schools such as Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football