U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 AM

5,590 posts, read 2,375,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Then why hasn't the media included Baylor in the jihad against the sex predator culture & those who cover for them?

I think they pretty much went scorched earth on Baylor and, after the requisite firings, moved on to fresh meat.

However, to me the larger question (And an unpopular one) is this: Why have we fetishized college sports to the point that it's come to this?

Don't get me wrong. Love college football.

But when colleges get into the business of essentially running semi-pro football teams, you really start making these kinds of compromises. Kids who would never make it into school, either from an academic or conduct standpoint often get admitted to college and, far worse, get a free pass once they arrive.

And don't give me that tired wheeze that football gives kids opportunities that wouldn't otherwise exist. Part of the reason these kids aren't prepared for college in the first place is because they get coddled in high school, too. And middle school.

This isn't exactly a mystery. We pretty much play this out every February before signing day. ESPN and other news crews show up at high schools across the country to film some 17- or 18-year old kid picking the college where he will attend or-- to be more precise--play. If you don't think that kind of adulation, not to mention all the courting that happens for the two or three years before that, doesn't inflate a kid's ego to massive proportions then you are living in Fantasyland.

I mean, how many stories have you read about the highly-rated athlete who does things that we wouldn't tolerate in an ordinary kid, but they get a pass because they can run, pass, catch, block, or tackle? I can't even begin to count. I mean, hell, look at Jameis Winston. Accused of raping a woman, among other alleged incidents of sexual assault, and was allowed to play with Florida State. Heisman trophy, first-round pick, and a $25,000,000 contract. Look at Joe Mixon. Broke a woman's face in four places (On video, no less) because she spurned his advances, and got charged with a misdemeanor. Hey, he was suspended for the 2014 season, but a slap on the wrist compared to what would have happened had he been an ordinary Joe. He is making millions running for the Bengals today.

In other words, if those guys were not athletes or even mediocre athletes, they would be under the jail. Instead, we hold them up and give them wheelbarrows of cash.

So in the case of Michigan State, Baylor, and just about every other college football program under the sun, the athlete does something terrible, the local police department and athletic department get to together for damage control, the victim gets paid off, and it's like it never happened at all. ESPN did a pretty good job of exposing this in 2015: Outside the Lines: College athletes at major programs benefit from confluence of factors to sometimes avoid criminal charges

The crux of the matter is this. It's all too easy for a star athlete to get off the hook compared to some ordinary kid. There's too much on the line for the school.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 09-10-2018 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or