Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,549 times

Advertisements

Decided to share this with y'all...it's user-based, so you'll find a few oddities, but here it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:17 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Wow, I hate these maps. Not anywhere near accurate. WVU only has 30% or less of its own state, and a sliver of Long Island.

I know you can't take these serious, still they are annoying. haha

Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
I'm pretty sure that if you drove into Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas and Kentucky and assumed everyone was an Alabama fan, it wouldn't end well.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,101 times
I love stuff like this. Being from New York City, it looks like the most popular team is Michigan, i thought it would be Notre Dame . ( college football isn’t that big in NYC....people more into Jets & Giants ).....Love seeing where people’s allegiances lie not only in college football, but college basketball & the 4 major sports ...wish they did this annually or every 2 years for all the sports ( college football, college B.B., nhl, nba, mlb, nfl)

Old 09-08-2018, 05:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
That Fan Map is definitely skewed in the direction of certain fanboys & fangirls without much research or consideration in reality!

Thanks, anyway!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
That Fan Map is definitely skewed in the direction of certain fanboys & fangirls without much research or consideration..
Colt, Elaborate..Your opinion, is the breakdown of Arizona wrong (?)

Also curious, any Eastern Shore (VA) people in our forum ? How is the Eastern Shore, Penn St country (?) I figured that's solid UVa & VA Tech. Are they getting a lot of PA retirees ?

Old 09-08-2018, 12:41 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Colt, Elaborate..Your opinion, is the breakdown of Arizona wrong (?)

Also curious, any Eastern Shore (VA) people in our forum ? How is the Eastern Shore, Penn St country (?) I figured that's solid UVa & VA Tech. Are they getting a lot of PA retirees ?
Obviously, I can't speak for all states. My main concern is with how the entire state of Arizona is misrepresented by this "fan map".

Arizona has both Sun Devil (ASU) fans, which are based in Tempe and largely followed by central Arizonans... and Arizona Wildcat (UA) fans, which are based in Tucson and largely followed by southern Arizonans.

However, there is absolutely a large contingent of Arizona (UA) fans in the Phoenix area, and there are definitely a large amount of ASU fans in southern Arizona as well.

Northern Arizona is not correctly represented at all, and is actually more of an NAU Lumberjacks area... with a smattering of both ASU and Arizona (UA).

This particular "fan map" is quite inaccurate when it shows that about 3/4 of Arizona is all Sun Devil (ASU) fans, and barely 1/4 being fans of Wildcats (UA). It totally misrepresents what I know about our state.

There has to be a better way to properly put together a colorized fan map of all Arizona college football fans, and other fans definitely should chime in about their states as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:22 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,932,965 times
Wonder if the Midland, TX Ohio U alumni association got together and skewed the results there. Definitely makes sense that it would have the largest fan base.

(Trivia: the current Ohio U president held the same position at Texas Tech earlier this decade.)

Old 09-09-2018, 09:38 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Wonder if the Midland, TX Ohio U alumni association got together and skewed the results there. Definitely makes sense that it would have the largest fan base..
Shoe, I just noticed that little Ohio patch in Texas. Ironically, it's about the same size as Ohio's in-state fan base. Zooming in, I also noticed a Spartan in the heart of Texas; is that for real (?) There's a large contingent of Michigan State alumni there, enough to theoretically outnumber Longhorn fans (?)

Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 PM

484 posts, read 467,241 times
I don't buy this map for Ohio at all outside a few small patches. I am not surprised UC and Ohio University are the most popular schools in their respective schools. Of all the other fan bases in the state, those are the two that like Ohio State the least and are most likely to not have crossover fans (as in rooting for both OSU and a MAC school).
Other than that, no. OSU is not less popular than Bowling Green, even in Wood County, and Michigan is not more popular in those northwest counties shaded in maize (nor in Ashtabula County in the northeast corner of the state). I've been in those areas too much to think otherwise. OSU is immensely popular in those areas. Michigan fans can be found, more up northwest than in other areas, but they aren't as dominant as this map would suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football