U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 10:11 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So Hurts stays with Alabama and Bryant leaves Clemson. This new redshirt rule is making things very interesting.

Not sure what Bryant hopes to gain from this. I do not see him as a pro QB. he's not Deshaun Watson. Now, just about any school will snap him up for next year. Is it next year he can play or the year after? Anyway, he'll land somewhere. But..

I think the smarter move would have been to remain at Clemson. Lawrence is green, he could have come in several times to shake up the offense and given them a much better chance at a championship. I'm not a huge fan of platooning QBs, but Bryant is generally more the style QB that gives them fits.

Swinney is now left with two Freshman QBs in Lawrence and Chase Brice. Both pocket passers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 12:07 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not sure what Bryant hopes to gain from this. I do not see him as a pro QB. he's not Deshaun Watson. Now, just about any school will snap him up for next year. Is it next year he can play or the year after? Anyway, he'll land somewhere. But..

I think the smarter move would have been to remain at Clemson. Lawrence is green, he could have come in several times to shake up the offense and given them a much better chance at a championship. I'm not a huge fan of platooning QBs, but Bryant is generally more the style QB that gives them fits.

Swinney is now left with two Freshman QBs in Lawrence and Chase Brice. Both pocket passers.
The only people who think it would be the smarter move for him to stay at Clemson are Clemson's coaching staff and fans. If I have even a 1% chance to play in the NFL and make money, why should I sacrifice MY DREAM so that YOU as a fan can be happy? If it's his dream to play professional football one day, then why should he not transfer and see if he can boost his stock somewhere else? Odds are he won't make it but we can't fault the man for trying.

I mean, the message fans are sending to Bryant is: "Look, you're not that good. You'll never make it. So abandon your silly, stupid dream and help us win a championship. We clearly know what's in your best interest. Not your Mom, Dad, Pastor, most trusted teammates or best friends who will have your back long after your playing days are over."

Old 09-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The only people who think it would be the smarter move for him to stay at Clemson are Clemson's coaching staff and fans. If I have even a 1% chance to play in the NFL and make money, why should I sacrifice MY DREAM so that YOU as a fan can be happy? If it's his dream to play professional football one day, then why should he not transfer and see if he can boost his stock somewhere else? Odds are he won't make it but we can't fault the man for trying.

I mean, the message fans are sending to Bryant is: "Look, you're not that good. You'll never make it. So abandon your silly, stupid dream and help us win a championship. We clearly know what's in your best interest. Not your Mom, Dad, Pastor, most trusted teammates or best friends who will have your back long after your playing days are over."

It wasn't a "You're not going to play" situation. And packing his bags and leaving doesn't help his NFL dreams.. After all, if he's going to bail here.. He gets drafted, which I think is a long shot, how does it look to an NFL team that he doesn't start and demands "Trade Me", basically?

I wish him well. Was thinking he could go to South Carolina, but, Bentley is just a junior, so, he'll be back next year. Some places I've heard bandied about.. East Carolina, Arkansas to (sort of) reunite with Chad Morris.

Bryant is not that good... At something that Lawrence is very good at.. Downfield shots. Kelly is very good at something that Lawrence isn't.. Namely scrambling. Lawrence isn't horrible, but put him against Kelly and he looks horrible.

Watson could do all three. Rare that you can find a player like that. I mean, Dabo could have waited until next week to make this call, then the option is removed. So, it's not like Clemson has done him dirty here. Hey, we're going to make Lawrence the starter.. Lawrence accepted the decision when the roles were reversed. From what Dabo says, they were still planning on playing Bryant, or, if he wanted, they'd just sit him the rest of the year so he could keep his eligibility..

Old 09-27-2018, 01:37 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Quote:
It wasn't a "You're not going to play" situation. And packing his bags and leaving doesn't help his NFL dreams.. After all, if he's going to bail here.. He gets drafted, which I think is a long shot, how does it look to an NFL team that he doesn't start and demands "Trade Me", basically?
The difference is that NFL backups get paid; college backups do not. Most backups are perfectly content to ride the pine and collect a paycheck in the high six figures (or higher).

And there's no guarantee that his snaps wouldn't decline as Lawrence improves. The writing was basically on the wall for everyone not wearing orange-tinted glasses to see: Clemson's coaching staff knows they can't compete against Bama/OSU/UGA without Lawrence and they know he needs all the snaps he can get in order for Clemson to be competitive. Those snaps were going to come at Bryant's expense. You are not going to fare well in the Playoff if the guy you are depending on to beat Bama only plays half a game against the likes of Wake Forest, Duke and Boston College.

Honestly, I think emotions and a bit of naivete have some fans reading this all wrong. When the news was reported that Bryant had missed practice the other day, a lot of fans on the internet said there was no chance he'd transfer because he loves the program, loves the culture, wants to be with his friends, yaddda yadda. The very next day he announced his decision to transfer LOL. If you couldn't see what virtually all non-fans could see--that he was gone the moment he was benched--then you probably also naively believed that his reps wouldn't go down either. You could try to spin it as "this is only a game by game thing" but that's wishful thinking at its finest.

Quote:
I mean, Dabo could have waited until next week to make this call, then the option is removed. So, it's not like Clemson has done him dirty here. Hey, we're going to make Lawrence the starter.. Lawrence accepted the decision when the roles were reversed. From what Dabo says, they were still planning on playing Bryant, or, if he wanted, they'd just sit him the rest of the year so he could keep his eligibility..
I don't think anybody is saying Clemson did him dirty. I think people believe Clemson did what's best for Clemson and Bryant did what's best for Bryant. The only thing I have a problem with is people saying that Bryant's interests are aligned with Clemson's interests when in reality they are not. Bryant staying at Clemson would indeed be great for Clemson, but it's not so great for Bryant if he wants to improve his chances of making the League or simply wants to play more at the collegiate level.

Also, I think it's pointless to say that "Lawrence accepted the decision when the roles were reversed" since he's a freshman with 3 more years of eligibility after this season. They are not in the same position. Bryant doesn't want to end his college career as a 2nd stringer and that's perfectly understandable.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 AM

4,890 posts, read 3,978,050 times
19-9 Last week to go 61-42 for the year, If I counted my claws correctly
The SEC hurt me last week I got all but two wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UCLA vs. COLORADO at home. UCLA has a ways to go and Colorado has found ways to win.

Arkansas vs. TEXAS A&M Texas A&M Band just celebrated 120 years of doing the Exact Same Halftime show at every game

Army vs. BUFFALO I may regret this one, but I think the Bulls not Bills will want to protect a so far perfect season at all costs
Syracuse vs. (4) CLEMSON The Orange men will lose to the Other Orange team
(5) WEST VIRGINIA vs. Texas Tech They are riding high in the saddle in Texas after beating Oklahoma State, but West Virginia will cool their spurs sho nuff

Virginia vs. (17) NC STATE
FLORIDA STATE vs. Louisville Both Teams are Bad Louisville, or as we say it here "Lew-ISS-Ville " is a little badder

Old Dominion vs. EAST CAROLINA Is not going to make the same mistake that Vermont..I mean Virginia Tech did and take the week off

Pittsburgh vs. (14) UCF
PURDUE vs. Nebraska I HATE Picking Purdue OR Purdon't games. I am always wrong
(22) TEXAS vs. Kansas State

Nevada vs. AIR FORCE
(15) MICHIGAN vs. Northwestern
Florida vs. (24) MISSISSIPPI STATE Hard game to pick MISSISSIPPI STATE will be looking to bounce back at home after last week's loss, and Florida, like the Texas A&M Band, is over -rated.
Utah vs. WASHINGTON STATE This could be a good game. I'll give it to the home team in the Pac-24 matchup

Louisiana Tech vs. (19) NORTH TEXAS The Alma Mater wins at home in a divisional matchup

(25) Virginia Tech vs. (21) DUKE I doubt Vermont I mean Virginia Tech will blow two in a row but if they do, then the Dukies are the team to do it.
(2) OHIO STATE vs. (12) Penn State Clearly the T V game of the week
(8) Stanford vs. (6) NOTRE DAME The Other TV Game of the week Stan says they will win, but Ford and the Leprechaun say not And in spite of Notre Dame being a catholic school and all, Touchdown Jesus Stadium is a very hostile place for visiting teams.
BYU vs. (11) WASHINGTON Warshinton is a 17.5 point spread According to the bookies in Rock Vegas...BUT the MORMONS don't Bet !
Ole Miss vs. (7) LSU The Tigers are geauxing to give Georgia and Alabama the fights of the season in a few weeks
Organ vs. CAL
Toledo vs. FRESNO STATE Bulldogs nip the Rockets in the fins.
USC vs. Arizona Another Fine Pac-20 matchup

Old 09-27-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I don't think anybody is saying Clemson did him dirty. I think people believe Clemson did what's best for Clemson and Bryant did what's best for Bryant. The only thing I have a problem with is people saying that Bryant's interests are aligned with Clemson's interests when in reality they are not. Bryant staying at Clemson would indeed be great for Clemson, but it's not so great for Bryant if he wants to improve his chances of making the League or simply wants to play more at the collegiate level.

Kelly is saying that. He's saying he's done nothing to lose the starting spot.. Well, that depends on your point of view. Staying at the same level while someone bypasses you.. It happens. Someone has to be Wally Pipp.

I'm not sure of the rules with transfers. But, had he stayed with the team I think he'd look better from a teammate standpoint. Now, obviously, if the transfer rules prevent that.. I understand.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:14 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
Last week: 24-4
Overall: 68-35

UCLA vs. Colorado. Chip Kelly is going to have to find some new gimmick because everyone runs his old offense now, and this team stinks. Buffs by 2+ touchdowns in Boulder.
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M. Aggies should rebound against the Razorbacks.
Army vs. Buffalo. Are we going to get the Army team that got crushed by Duke or the Army team that took Oklahoma to overtime?? Meanwhile Buffalo has some ok wins both on the road @ Temple, and a thorough beatdown last week @ Rutgers, and also owns a win over a surprisingly not terrible EMU team. I'll take the more consistent of the 2, which is also the home team in Buffalo, but I could see this going either way.
Syracuse vs. (4) Clemson. If this was @ Cuse I'd take Cuse in the upset, but can't do it at Clemson.
(5) West Virginia vs. Texas Tech. Nice win last week no doubt, but I agree with SouthernTiger, they have to do this 2, 3 weeks in a row before I start to believe. This is the same defense that gave up 47 points to Ole Miss and 49 points to Houston this month as well, let's not overlook that. WV will outscore them in Lubbock.
Virginia vs. (17) NC State. Wolfpack at home I guess.
Florida State vs. Louisville. Both teams stink, but Louisville looks worse.
Old Dominion vs. East Carolina. Back to reality for the Monarchs in a huge let down game.
Pittsburgh vs. (14) UCF. If Pittsburgh can't even beat that sorry UNC team, UCF with Mills will steamroll them.
Purdue vs. Nebraska. Forget 6 wins, I'm wondering if Nebraska will even get to 3 wins this year. Have you seen their schedule, woof!
(22) Texas vs. Kansas State. Couple good home wins for Texas, now going on the road to the Little Apple, no one goes into Bill Snyder Family Stadium and walks away with a laugher. Wildcats will hang tough, but Texas pulls it out.
Nevada vs. Air Force. I'm taking a wild guess here.
(15) Michigan vs. Northwestern. Thought Northwestern would be better than they are, but this usually seems to be the time of the season Northwestern starts to get rolling.
Florida vs. (24) Mississippi State. Happy homecoming for Mullin in Starkville as he sends his old employer to a second straight loss.
Utah vs. Washington State. Cougs at home at the Paloose.
Louisiana Tech vs. (19) North Texas. Mean Green train keeps rolling along.
(25) Virginia Tech vs. (21) Duke. Wake up call for Va Tech after last weekend's disaster.
(2) Ohio State vs. (12) Penn State. Ohio State has better wins so far this year than Penn State does and that's the difference.
South Carolina vs. (18) Kentucky. Forget second place in the East, UK gets Georgia at home this year, they are gunning for first.
(8) Stanford vs. (6) Notre Dame. I don't see ND handing this game on a silver platter to Stanford the way Oregon did last weekend. If they fall behind again early, it's over.
BYU vs. (11) Washington. Alright BYU, last chance to lose, otherwise you are on my $#!t list for life!
Ole Miss vs. (7) LSU. Tigers at home.
Oregon vs. Cal. Tough way to bounce back after last week's debacle, but I think Oregon will find a way. Cal's opponents so far this year haven't been very good.
Toledo vs. Fresno State. Long travel for Toledo, so that's the only reason why I'm picking Fresno.
USC vs. Arizona. Tough start to the season for Arizona. Maybe they've turned it around, but like Texas Tech I need to see it 2 or 3 weeks in a row before I buy in.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:57 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,551 times
Damn, i killed it this week. 20-5 on picks. Here's the Top 25 for this next week.

#1: Alabama (5-0)
#2: Ohio State (5-0)
#3: Georgia (5-0)
#4: Notre Dame (5-0) +2
#5: West Virginia (4-0)
#6: Clemson (5-0) -2
#7: LSU (5-0)
#8: Oklahoma (5-0) +1
#9: Auburn (4-1) +1
#10: Washington (4-1) +1
#11: UCF (4-0) +3
#12: Wisconsin (3-1) +1
#13: Miami (4-1) +3
#14: Penn State (4-1) -2
#15: Kentucky (5-0) +3
#16: Michigan (4-1) -1
#17: Stanford (4-1) -9
#18: NC State (4-0) -1
#19: Texas (4-1) +3
#20: Virginia Tech (3-1) +5
#21: Michigan State (3-1) -1
#22: Oregon (4-1) NEW
#23: USF (4-0)
#24: Cincinnati (5-0) NEW
#25: North Texas (4-1) -6

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out

Missouri (3-1)
Florida (4-1)
Oklahoma State (4-1)
Appalachian State (3-1)
Syracuse (4-1)
Colorado (4-0)
Boise State (3-1)
Troy (4-1)
Fresno State (3-1)
San Diego State (3-1)
Duke (4-1)

Old 09-30-2018, 04:55 PM

929 posts, read 297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Damn, i killed it this week. 20-5 on picks. Here's the Top 25 for this next week.

#1: Alabama (5-0)
#2: Ohio State (5-0)
#3: Georgia (5-0)
#4: Notre Dame (5-0) +2
#5: West Virginia (4-0)
#6: Clemson (5-0) -2
#7: LSU (5-0)
#8: Oklahoma (5-0) +1
#9: Auburn (4-1) +1
#10: Washington (4-1) +1
#11: UCF (4-0) +3
#12: Wisconsin (3-1) +1
#13: Miami (4-1) +3
#14: Penn State (4-1) -2
#15: Kentucky (5-0) +3
#16: Michigan (4-1) -1
#17: Stanford (4-1) -9
#18: NC State (4-0) -1
#19: Texas (4-1) +3
#20: Virginia Tech (3-1) +5
#21: Michigan State (3-1) -1
#22: Oregon (4-1) NEW
#23: USF (4-0)
#24: Cincinnati (5-0) NEW
#25: North Texas (4-1) -6

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out

Missouri (3-1)
Florida (4-1)
Oklahoma State (4-1)
Appalachian State (3-1)
Syracuse (4-1)
Colorado (4-0)
Boise State (3-1)
Troy (4-1)
Fresno State (3-1)
San Diego State (3-1)
Duke (4-1)
Why would you not have Syracuse in the top 25- even some of the others as well, but include Cinci? Because they are undefeated?? Cincinnati is no top 25 caliber team- and beating UConn I would think doesn't merit suddenly inclusion for the first time.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,005,733 times
I wonder if Scott Frost is regretting leaving UCF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or