U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 04:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 558,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Alabama would toss OSU, Clemson, UGA, etc. right now. Every team has weaknesses, but this particular Bama team probably has fewer weaknesses than any other during the Saban era, especially compared to those many, many Alabama teams with anemic offenses. I fully expect them to shut down any and all comers in the Playoff.
This means that if the SEC title game is close, then the SEC might get two teams in the playoffs. The other two spots will likely go to the Big 10 and ACC champs.

As for Notre Dame, they are overrated. They played a Virginia Tech team with an inexperienced quarterback. They almost lost to "Ball State" and Vanderbilt earlier. This is just another case of the media fascination with a team that hasn't won the championship since 1988 but with steroid abuse (usually tossed aside in historical discussions). USC might beat them though. FSU could too on a good day. FSU lost to Miami but will be more than fired up for Notre Dame. They have improved since their earlier games. Teams are improving, so ND could lose once or twice by December.

As usual, the SEC will be tough with the Tide at the top. Ohio State looked very vulnerable against Penn State and got lucky on that 4th down play when the coach made a really bad call. The SEC will likely win again. Clemson's new quarterback can't run and is vulnerable to injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 07:58 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
This means that if the SEC title game is close, then the SEC might get two teams in the playoffs. The other two spots will likely go to the Big 10 and ACC champs.
No way Georgia gets in assuming OSU and Clemson win their respective conferences and ND goes undefeated. Literally zero chance. The Committee is salivating at the prospect of 3 college football bluebloods making the CFP. If you could take Clemson and replace them with USC, it would be the perfect playoff bracket as far as money and ratings are concerned.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Quote:
Alabama is a nightmare scenario for the rest of college football. We all used to ask "What would happen if Alabama ever got a good QB?" Now we're seeing what that looks like and it's frightening. It took a Herculean effort by Deshaun Watson on a well-balanced Clemson team to barely pull out a win against the Tide in 2017. He arguably played better the year before that and his team still lost. And remember, the 2016-17 Tide was a team led by a true freshman (Hurts) who couldn't hit the ocean if it was more than 15 yards away.

The Tide may not be as good on D this year as they have been in very recent years, but the D hasn't slipped that much if at all, and it doesn't have to be as good as it has been in the past because the offense is so much better. The only way I could see them losing is if a team gets up 14-0 early on them in a road game. If Bama gets up 14-0 on any opponent, and the defense feels free to blitz at will, I honestly don't see any team recovering from that deficit given their firepower. They put so much pressure on opponents on both sides of the football whereas Bama teams of the past were more one-dimensional.

So can Bama be beat? Sure, anything is in the realm of possibility. I just don't see Haskins or Lawrence or Fromm/Fields dropping 500+ yards on them AND their defenses not gassing the hell out against Bama's high-powered offense. It's a tall task for sure.
One could argue that 'Bama's soft schedule is making the team look better than they are. The only real fight they have all season before the playoffs will be LSU who is currently only ranked at 13. That's the highest ranked team of the season they will face.

Bama's offense and defense looks very powerful. Just would like to see them test it against a top 10 team at least once.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
One could argue that 'Bama's soft schedule is making the team look better than they are. The only real fight they have all season before the playoffs will be LSU who is currently only ranked at 13. That's the highest ranked team of the season they will face.

Bama's offense and defense looks very powerful. Just would like to see them test it against a top 10 team at least once.

Clemson's schedule is a problem this year as well. The ACC is in something of a down year.

The past 2 years, Clemson has been able to absorb and bounce back from an upset loss.. I don't think that happens this year. They've got NC State, thankfully at home, which COULD be their only ranked opponent until the ACC Championship. In theory, the ACC Championship will likely come down to Clemson vs either VT or Miami. If it's VT, that's a problem. In all honesty.. Duke isn't out of it yet.

Clemson's got a couple of sucker games as well.. NC State I don't consider a sucker game, they play each other tough regardless. It's like a Dallas vs Washington game. One team can be 15-0 the other 0-15.. That game is not a gimme.

Boston College probably their defense won't be able to stop the running game, but.. They're much better. South Carolina.. Rivalry game. Again.. I expect Clemson to win, they're the better team, but it's on the road. FSU.. Same deal.

They will not have a signature win until the ACC Championship.. The only win they'll have, assuming they win, would be against NC State.

I just see Clemson having to go undefeated this year, assuming things play out as expected. Without a shocking Alabama or ND or Ohio State loss.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Isn't that what people said last year too when they faced off against Mercer, Fresno State, Vandy, Colorado State, etc?

Old 10-08-2018, 03:37 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Isn't that what people said last year too when they faced off against Mercer, Fresno State, Vandy, Colorado State, etc?

And they would have lost against Georgia, had it not been for Tua. So, people who said that.. Were pretty much right. Because I don't think one person thought Tua would be inserted into the middle of the National Championship game.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And they would have lost against Georgia, had it not been for Tua. So, people who said that.. Were pretty much right. Because I don't think one person thought Tua would be inserted into the middle of the National Championship game.
But they didn't lose. They are defending national champions. And they strangled out Clemson along the way, which was a better team on paper since they had the stronger SOS. Clemson beat a No. 13-ranked Auburn, a No. 14-ranked Louisville, a No. 12-ranked Virginia Tech, a No. 20-ranked NC State, and a No. 7-ranked Miami team. Yet they couldn't manage to score a single TD against Bama. So was SOS a good gauge there?

Georgia was going to be a tough hurdle to clear since they got to play a national championship game in Atlanta, Georgia.

Quote:
ATLANTA — When the Georgia players first rushed out of the tunnel to take the field inside Mercedes-Benz stadium prior to the start of Monday’s national championship game against Alabama, they were met with raucous cheers and yells from the crowd. When the Alabama players stormed out moments later, boos drowned out much of the noise created by Crimson Tide supporters.

And thus the tone was set for what ultimately amounted to a home-game experience for Georgia, the team that hasn’t had a shot for a national title in over 30 years.
https://www.redandblack.com/cfp/geor...1fb7dd465.html

Unfortunately for Georgia, they won't get to play a national championship game in Atlanta for a very long time.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,551 times
All right, here's the Week 7 picks. Doing it today because there's a game interesting enough tonight to make the cut.

Appalachian State vs. Arkansas State
Texas Tech vs. TCU
Arizona vs. Utah
Iowa vs. Indiana
Duke vs. Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh vs. (4) Notre Dame
Baylor vs. (9) Texas
(3) Georgia vs. (14) LSU
Michigan State vs. (12) Penn State
Purdue vs. Illinois
Temple vs. Navy
Texas A&M vs. South Carolina
(7) UCF vs. Memphis
(8) Washington vs. (20) Oregon
(11) Miami vs. Virginia
UCLA vs. Cal
(6) West Virginia vs. Iowa State
Ole Miss vs. Arkansas
(10) Wisconsin vs. (15) Michigan
(23) Colorado vs. USC

Pick Overall Record: 93-58
Pick Record Last Week: 11-12

Here are my picks.
Appalachian State vs. Arkansas State (Going to go with App State on the road.)
Texas Tech vs. TCU (It was hard to pick this...but in the end, i'm favoring TCU at home.)
Arizona vs. Utah (I don't know what make of Arizona or cal, but i'm favoring the Utes here.)
Iowa vs. Indiana (Tossup.)
Duke vs. Georgia Tech (GT's wins are over bad teams, to be honest...and the decent ones they've played have beat them. I'll go with Duke winning on the road.)
Pittsburgh vs. (4) Notre Dame (Unless the injury bug hits, it's hard to find a game left that ND could or will lose.)
Baylor vs. (9) Texas (Going to take us here...but i'm not sleeping on Baylor. Trust me.)
(3) Georgia vs. (14) LSU (Honestly, if Georgia's going to catch an L, it'll be here. Middle of the seasons, players are tired, and it's right before the bye week...good opportunity for an upset here. And it's at Death Valley. Plus, in the two times Kirby Smart's gone on the road to face a West team while at UGA, not only did they lose, but they got hammered.)
Michigan State vs. (12) Penn State (I'll take the Nittany Lions getting their revenge from last season.)
Purdue vs. Illinois (Only now is Purdue starting to click...)
Temple vs. Navy (This is a guess.)
Texas A&M vs. South Carolina (I had hope that the Gamecocks would end the streak against A&M going into the year, but now...)
(7) UCF vs. Memphis (Don't overlook this game...yes, Memphis has lost to Navy and Tulane, and UCF's on fire at the moment with plenty of offensive weapons, but i think this is a trap game, and could potentially be an upset. This will be closer than expected IMO.)
(8) Washington vs. (20) Oregon (One of the more interesting games of the week to watch...but i'll go with the Huskies.)
(11) Miami vs. Virginia (I'll go with Miami, even with how last week went.)
UCLA vs. Cal (UCLA is trash...just watch Cal give them their first win here, though.)
(6) West Virginia vs. Iowa State (Another trap game that shouldn't be overlooked...WVU was sloppy against Kansas, and Iowa State's finally finding rhythm. Expect this to be a fun-filled matchup.)
Ole Miss vs. Arkansas (I swear, if Ole Miss doesn't break their streak against Arky this year...)
(10) Wisconsin vs. (15) Michigan (I'm not buying Michigan yet. And from what i've seen out of both...even with the loss to BYU, i'm giving the edge to Wisconsin in a defensive slugfest.)
(23) Colorado vs. USC (This was a difficult one to decide on. Colorado's undefeated, and USC hasn't impressed, but they tend to play better at home than they do on the road. So, although i really want to pick Colorado, i'm not going to. Trojans at home.)

Old 10-09-2018, 04:59 PM

6,550 posts, read 4,497,941 times
I'll take App State tonight, get the rest and my totals from last week later tonight, tomorrow or Thursday.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM

579 posts, read 375,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Gutsy move no doubt.
Going back to the middle of last season, there were whispers from those watching Bama practices that Tua should have been playing more if not starting outright.
Everything came to a head in the NC game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or