U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 AM

929 posts, read 297,282 times

Advertisements

Alabama is in a galaxy by itself. Not just really, really good, but more over, no one else really is even on that second tier. Another dumb talking head on ESPN mentioned Michigan being some real contender. Good god; does anybody anymore remember anything that happened more than a day ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 AM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times
Doing a scanning through the games, it looks like I was 12-8, but I'll have official totals up later in the week.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:57 AM

1,139 posts, read 558,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Alabama is in a galaxy by itself. Not just really, really good, but more over, no one else really is even on that second tier. Another dumb talking head on ESPN mentioned Michigan being some real contender. Good god; does anybody anymore remember anything that happened more than a day ago?
Agreed. Georgia was exposed for its flaws. Some top 25 teams have improved. Notre Dame almost lost to Pittsburgh. Earlier, they had a hard time with Vanderbilt and Ball State at home. The analysis seems to be a weak pass rush defense. A team with that strength against the pass rush could give them a hard time in the regular season. In the playoff (if they get in), they could just be annihilated like back in January of 2013.
Meanwhile, Ohio State looks strong as does Clemson. I wish Notre Dame would lose before the season ends so we don't have to see a mismatch again. And I am saying this as a Domer (those on campus know what this means). But I also went to graduate school in the SEC which I prefer as a football standard of excellence. Notre Dame's best days was in the 1970s. That 1988 championship had some players abusing steroids (albeit common at the time at other schools too).

Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
The Heisman race should be interesting. Dwayne Haskins has thrown for more TDs and yards than Tua, but Tua is doing his best Steph Curry impersonation, often sitting for the entire 2nd half. Tua has 21 TDs and 0 INTs and is averaging 14.3 yards per attempt with a 71.5% completion rate. That's insane. I wonder if the voters will value total #s over insane efficiency.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,019,551 times
All right, here's the picks i have chosen for Week 8.

Stanford vs. Arizona State
Auburn vs. Ole Miss
(20) Cincinnati vs. Temple
Maryland vs. Iowa
(8) Michigan vs. Michigan State
(9) Oklahoma vs. TCU
Tulsa vs. Arkansas
Virginia vs. Duke
Colorado vs. (15) Washington
Houston vs. Navy
Minnesota vs. Nebraska
(14) NC State vs. (6) Clemson
Wake Forest vs. Florida State
Memphis vs. Missouri
Mississippi State vs. (5) LSU
(2) Ohio State vs. Purdue
(11) Oregon vs. Washington State
USC vs. Utah
Arizona vs. UCLA

Pick Overall Record: 104-67
Pick Record Last Week: 11-9

Here are my picks.

Stanford vs. Arizona State (As disappointing as Stanford has been, i expect they'll deal with Arizona State, although not a blowout. Then again, Pac-12 after dark is a bizarre realm, and this is on a Thursday night, so...)
Auburn vs. Ole Miss (From what i've seen, Auburn is the 6th place team in the West. Plus, i think Ole Miss has gained a bit more confidence after the win over Arky. Expect this to be the first of many death rattles for Malzahn.)
(20) Cincinnati vs. Temple (Potential trap game, as Temple is starting to get their pieces together. But i don't they they'll hang on with Cincy enough.)
Maryland vs. Iowa (Personally can't help but feel that this is going to be one of those games Iowa loses that you won't expect they will. They have that game at least once a year.)
(8) Michigan vs. Michigan State (Tossup of the week. No matter how either team is, this is usually a hard-fought game, and Michigan State football is pretty unexplainable this season as well. I'll take Michigan edging out Sparty...7 point favorites, you say? Yeah, give me the under.)
(9) Oklahoma vs. TCU (I'd love to see TCU do it, but they don't have the offense. And McNeill is not a magic man, the defense won't look 100% better instantly. But it won't be much of a factor against TCU.)
Tulsa vs. Arkansas (Tulsa might actually be worse than Arky this year, and considering the fact they only lost to Texas by 7...i don't know, if Arkansas loses this one, can they even beat Vanderbilt?)
Virginia vs. Duke (Didn't know here.)
Colorado vs. (15) Washington (Colorado's non-con of candyass teams and a so-so Arizona State team hurt them, and it showed. Buffs are still going to a bowl, but this will not be where they notch win 6.)
Houston vs. Navy (Navy just isn't good this year...)
Minnesota vs. Nebraska (Minnesota is just as odd to figure out as Northwestern is...but i think they beat Nebraska.)
(14) NC State vs. (6) Clemson (This is going to be a rather interesting game to watch, as well...this will pretty much decide to wins the ACC Atlantic. I mean, come on, look at the rest of the division. Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake are not cupcakes i'm aware, and BC is a potential trap for Clemson. However, all three of these teams have already lost at least conference game, and two of them already lost to the Taters. Expect another year of Clemson in the ACC title.)
Wake Forest vs. Florida State (Wake is tempting me this go around, but i've picked them the last two years to beat FSU (I believe i picked them in 2017, didn't i?) and they didn't do it. I'll take the Seminoles in a close game at home, even with that atrocious O-line you can think Jimbo for getting lazy on recruiting at that area.)
Memphis vs. Missouri (Under-rated matchup that will be a barnburner. I think i'm going to tune into this at points. I'll give the edge to Memphis, though.)
Mississippi State vs. (5) LSU (This is another case like the Florida game - potential trap game due to where it lays on the schedule. Even in Death Valley at night...i'll give the edge to the Tigers, but Moorhead seems to be figuring out how the SEC works, and i won't be all too shocked if they do pull out the upset.)
(2) Ohio State vs. Purdue (They don't call Purdue the Spoilermakers for no reason, but while i feel this will be close, there will be no spoiler here. Buckeyes will stop Purdue's hot streak in its tracks.)
(11) Oregon vs. Washington State (Congrats to Pullman on finally getting GameDay! With that said, this has the potential for some #Pac12AfterDark weirdness. I won't be going with it, though. I'm going with the Ducks, but this is a potential letdown game for them. Considering the fact that they've lost 3 straight to the Cougars.)
USC vs. Utah (Trojans are good at home, but bad on the road. I think Utah beats them again in Salt Lake City, and the fanbase will go back to wanting both Helton and Tee Martin fired.)
Arizona vs. UCLA (So, UCLA can actually beat teams...congrats to them on last week. I've changed my mind on them, and i expect this is where they pick up win number 2. Sumlin and Mazzone should both be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to Khalil Tate. Basically the black version of Manziel, and you decide this guy would be a good pocket passer? I mean, what the hell were y'all thinking?)

Old 10-17-2018, 01:06 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Arizona vs. UCLA (So, UCLA can actually beat teams...congrats to them on last week. I've changed my mind on them, and i expect this is where they pick up win number 2. Sumlin and Mazzone should both be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to Khalil Tate. Basically the black version of Manziel, and you decide this guy would be a good pocket passer? I mean, what the hell were y'all thinking?)
Originally, I believed that Sumlin and his coaches were doing the right thing. I mean, wanting Khalil to settle into more of a pocket passer, which means learning to read defenses better, and making good decisions was their intent. I get that.

However, as the season progresses, it stands to reason that even though the thought was to teach him more about pocket presence, and about learning to be more patient, that approach has not been successful. It doesn't seem to be in his DNA to be that guy. Tate reads things differently, so Sumlin's approach, while understandable, has not been successful, and has not taken a turn for the better.

At least, not in the way they expect him to be. If anything, it seems that he has been stifled to the point of becoming less dynamic. Tate was incredibly dynamic last season, and was explosive to the point that defenses needed to prepare differently for the Arizona Wildcat offense.

Unfortunately, the opposite has resulted in a rather pedestrian and less opportunistic attack. They've become easier to predict. I don't know if the season can be salvaged at this point, because now it even seems that Tate has been injured!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Stanford over Arizona State on Thursday. I'll get the rest in later tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 PM

Week: 12-8
Overall: 116-55

Old 10-18-2018, 06:46 AM

4,890 posts, read 3,978,050 times
The CAT picked a losing record last week going 9-10 (missing the first game altogether)
The season record is 100-69

Stanford vs. ARIZONA STATE Both Stan and Ford assure me that they are back on track but I am not so sure. The State Zonies are at home and hold a bit of an edge, plus Stan and Ford's team just has not looked that good lately.

Auburn vs. OLE MISS The Auburn Tigers continue their slide against the Rebels of Ole Miss

(20) CINCINNATI vs. Temple Bearcats Growl.

Maryland vs. IOWA Hawkeyes win at home

(8) MICHIGAN vs. Michigan State

(9) OKLAHOMA vs. TCU I would hope Oklahoma would be OK against a team of Horny Toads who faltered against Texas Tech last week

Tulsa vs. ARKANSAS The Piglets get a win at home ?

Virginia vs. DUKE

Colorado vs. (15) WASHINGTON

HOUSTON vs. Navy Cougars, Not Oilers, win this one

MEEN-uh-SOW-dah vs. Nebraska

(14) NC State vs. (6) CLEMSON needs a win here to move up towards the final 4

Wake Forest vs. FLORIDA STATE

Memphis vs. MISSOURI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6FcGTiJww

Mississippi State vs. (5) LSU

(2)OHIO STATE vs. Purdue

(11) ORGAN vs. Washington State The COugars have yet to prove themselves

USC vs. UTAH

ARIZONA vs. UCLA

Old 10-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Stanford over Arizona State on Thursday. I'll get the rest in later tomorrow.
Last week: 12-8
Overall: 116-55

Stanford vs. Arizona State. Picked last night, see above
Auburn vs. Ole Miss. Oh boy, the Malazahan chair is smoking hot, and will be engulfed in flames if the Tigers lose this.
(20) Cincinnati vs. Temple. Close game, but Bearcats win late.
Maryland vs. Iowa. Maryland's playing well, but Iowa at home. If this was at Maryland I may bite on the Terps.
(8) Michigan vs. Michigan State. Big 10 classic Wolverine Sparty battle. Will be an ugly, I think low scoring game, probably in the 20's, and I agree with SouthernTiger, put the house on the Sparty +7 as I see this being won late in the game. I'll take the Wolverines on the road. They are the healthier team, plus Harbough is due to win one of these rivalry games at some point.
(9) Oklahoma vs. TCU. What the hell has happened to TCU??
Tulsa vs. Arkansas. If the Razorbacks lose this, can they replace Rutgers who replaced Kansas at the top of the "worst power 5 team in the country" power rankings??
Virginia vs. Duke. The wild, weird & wacky ACC Coastal division.
Colorado vs. (15) Washington. I see the Buffs like fellow conference members Arizona State & California. Nice stories, yes, to begin the year, but that was mostly against cupcake teams, though AZ State did beat Michigan State, and once conference play rolled around and they start to play teams their size they won't do nearly as well. We've already seen it with Cal falling off the pace, AZ State has fallen too but at least they are keeping their games close, and apart from a good last half of the 4th quarter last weekend, Colorado didn't look to well. U Dub's playoff hopes are officially dead, but the Rose bowl is still very much in play.
Houston vs. Navy. Good teams they seem to get up for and knock off, it's the bad teams they've had trouble with, so I'll take a gamble and hope they get up for this game.
Minnesota vs. Nebraska. Speaking of gamble's, Nebraska played pretty well at Northwestern last week, but just couldn't close the deal. They improve on that effort from last week, close the deal here, and get win #1 of the Scott Frost era.
(14) NC State vs. (6) Clemson. Toughest remaining game on eithers schedule?? I think at home the Tigers blow them out by 14+.
Wake Forest vs. Florida State. Toss up for me, Seminoles at home I guess??
Memphis vs. Missouri. I'll take the team in the better conference with the better QB, that also happens to be playing at home for an added bonus.
Mississippi State vs. (5) LSU. Tigers at home, but due for a letdown. If this were a road game, this would be a great upset pick
(2) Ohio State vs. Purdue. Not so much here, as I think Purdue can keep them close for a half, but not the full game.
(11) Oregon vs. Washington State. Welcome to the biggest game in Pullman since....the 16 Apple Cup?? Gameday should have gone to Pullman that weekend, but I'll take the Coogs at home on the Paloose, I'm sure even 48+ hours before the game there's probably already students camped out, that place is going to be an absolute zoo come game time.
USC vs. Utah. Utah's not bad at home and USC is bad on the road. Easy one for me.
Arizona vs. UCLA. UCLA gets Chip back-to-back wins over a completely disappointing team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or