U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,233,397 times

Advertisements

NC State under Dave Doren lack a signature win, last season at Florida State doesn't count anymore since the Noles flamed out and barely became bowl eligible. Two years ago at then #3 Clemson they had the same opportunity but the kicker shanked the last second kick wide right and the Tigers won in OT. Last year Clemson etched out a 7 point win in Raleigh. Now with a chance to stay undefeated and take control of the division, this is the Wolfpacks chance to break through.

I would love to see Michigan State take down Michigan again, the meltdown the national media would have will be priceless.

College Gameday is in Pullman for the very first time. Good luck Coogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Will throw out my "Upset of the Year" pick. I'll wait and sit on it, until I'm feeling it. And this is the week. Purdue beats Ohio State. You heard it here first.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:16 PM

447 posts, read 471,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
NC State under Dave Doren lack a signature win, last season at Florida State doesn't count anymore since the Noles flamed out and barely became bowl eligible. Two years ago at then #3 Clemson they had the same opportunity but the kicker shanked the last second kick wide right and the Tigers won in OT. Last year Clemson etched out a 7 point win in Raleigh. Now with a chance to stay undefeated and take control of the division, this is the Wolfpacks chance to break through.
Doeren and his crew are great at talking sh#t, not so much at backing it up, lol! Go Tigers!

Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Will throw out my "Upset of the Year" pick. I'll wait and sit on it, until I'm feeling it. And this is the week. Purdue beats Ohio State. You heard it here first.
Go and buy a Power Ball ticket my friend.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:09 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Doeren and his crew are great at talking sh#t, not so much at backing it up, lol! Go Tigers!

I lost $20 on this game in Vegas. I expected Clemson to win, but with it being in Raleigh, and how close NC State always plays Clemson.. I thought taking them and 16.5 points was a good bet. Here's hoping my $20 on the Washington Capitals to repeat for the Stanley Cup pays off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Go and buy a Power Ball ticket my friend.

I'd go for the Mega Millions. Ohio State just pulled within 15, but with 5 minutes to go? Here's the problem I see.. Ohio State has thrown the ball, so far, 62 times.

Any way you look at this.. Hell of a call Sonny. I wouldn't have bet money on Purdue. And as you can see above, I will make some crazy bets.

And.. There it is.. Purdue just scored again. It's over. So.. LSU moves into the top 4 joining ND, Clemson and Alabama. LSU and Georgia I consider out because I don't see either beating Alabama (LSU or Georgia in the SEC Championship). I'm wanting to find a way to get UCF into the playoffs just to shut them the hell up. Assuming that Alabama, Clemson and ND are pretty much locks now, because I can't see any of them losing.. Other than ND being ND and they lose to USC to end the year or something..

Michigan loses to PSU, beats Ohio State.. LSU loses to Alabama.. Georgia even if they win out, they will likely lose to Alabama. WV loses to Texas, beats Oklahoma.. Then, assuming UCF wins out.. They're in.

And.. Ohio State.. This is a thumping. They're going to drop like a rock. This isn't a Clemson 3 point loss to Pitt or Syracuse.. This is, as of this moment, a 29 point trouncing.

Last edited by Labonte18; 10-20-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 09:28 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Good call Sonny!

This wasn't just an upset. The Buckeyes got steamrolled 49-20! And the fans on the field now? Whew!

Old 10-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good call Sonny!

This wasn't just an upset. The Buckeyes got steamrolled 49-20! And the fans on the field now? Whew!
Thanks Double H. I wish I had made it to Jersey this weekend to throw some green down on the money line Would have been a great payoff as a 13 point underdog. Purdue has got players- they are a far cry from the team a month ago that lost to Northwestern and Eastern Michigan. Ohio State looked dismal I thought in most of their games to this point and only was a second ranked team based on being well, Ohio State. Beating TCU and Penn St wasn't pretty either and as we've learned by now, Penn St and TCU are both at least a little down this season.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,965 times
12-7 on picks this week. Also, holy hell, Purdue. How did this team lose their first three? and USC, man...one step closer to Clay and Tee being fired. Anyway, here's my Top 25.

#1: Alabama (8-0)
#2: Notre Dame (7-0) +1
#3: LSU (7-1) +2
#4: Clemson (7-0) +2
#5: UCF (7-0) -1
#6: Michigan (7-1) +2
#7: Texas (6-1)
#8: Oklahoma (6-1) +1
#9: Georgia (6-1) +1
#10: Ohio State (7-1) -8
#11: Florida (6-1) +1
#12: West Virginia (5-1) +1
#13: Washington (6-2) +2
#14: USF (7-0) +2
#15: Kentucky (6-1) +2
#16: Wisconsin (5-2) +2
#17: Penn State (5-2) +2
#18: Washington State (6-1) NEW
#19: Miami (5-2) +2
#20: Oregon (5-2) -9
#21: San Diego State (6-1) +1
#22: Appalachian State (5-1) +2
#23: Utah State (6-1) NEW
#24: Texas A&M (5-2) +1
#25: Fresno State (6-1) NEW

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out

Cincinnati (6-1)
Iowa (6-1)
Houston (6-1)
Utah (5-2)
NC State (5-1)
Buffalo (7-1)
UAB (6-1)
North Texas (6-2)
Georgia Southern (6-1)

Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Any way you look at this.. Hell of a call Sonny. I wouldn't have bet money on Purdue. And as you can see above, I will make some crazy bets.
I just saw something with Purdue at their skill set positions that told me, what ever happened against Northwestern and Eastern Michigan, this was a much different team now. Very solid in a lot of areas when I watched tidbits of their games vs BC and Nebraska. Who knows, I might pull the trigger again this season, but its rare I see a double digit underdog I'm that overwhelmingly confident in.

[/quote]And.. Ohio State.. This is a thumping. They're going to drop like a rock. This isn't a Clemson 3 point loss to Pitt or Syracuse.. This is, as of this moment, a 29 point trouncing.[/quote]

I don't think Ohio State will be by season's end one of the four best teams in the country, but I thought they clearly weren't either last year, yet some disagreed and thought they deserved to be in ahead of Alabama. And of course last year they had that blowout loss to Iowa. I guess we can't count them out, but in fact I think they are a legitimately worse football team in many areas this season versus 2017.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
#1: Alabama (8-0)
#2: Notre Dame (7-0) +1
#3: LSU (7-1) +2
#4: Clemson (7-0) +2
#5: UCF (7-0) -1
#6: Michigan (7-1) +2
I don't think LSU is a playoff contender and they likely won't be after this week. Their ranking is off the strength of their beatdown of Georgia, whose ranking was based largely off the team they were last year rather than the team they are this year.

LSU's offense is anemic. Sure, they put up 38 against a Georgia defense that's shown signs of cracking all year, but their passing game simply can't get the job done. Here are Joe Burrow's passing numbers for the year.

6 TDs, 3 INTs, 53.8% completion rate, 6.9 Y/A, 1,544 yards

That's not going to get it done against any team with a tenacious defense front (i.e., Bama, Clemson). Bama will load the box and force him to throw and so far he hasn't been very good at throwing. I could see Tua having a short field to work with most of the day since LSU will probably be pinned down in their own territory. Tua won't even have to be spectacular. They could easily get the job done with Jalen Hurts too.

Although you have them ranked lower, Clemson is also a better team with a more balanced offensive attack and one of the best defenses in CFB.

Going back to the win over Georgia, I wonder if things go any differently with Fields in the game. Or at least a game plan that incorporates Fields into more than simply wildcat plays. Fromm may have a better grasp of the system than Fields at this point in time, but the reality is that he's a very good game manager who lacks the ability to win games throwing or running the ball. I think he succeeded last season because his team was loaded with talent. Now that that talent has moved on to the NFL, I think Georgia should focus on grooming Fields since this season is a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or