U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 04:45 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I don't think Ohio State will be by season's end one of the four best teams in the country, but I thought they clearly weren't either last year, yet some disagreed and thought they deserved to be in ahead of Alabama. And of course last year they had that blowout loss to Iowa. I guess we can't count them out, but in fact I think they are a legitimately worse football team in many areas this season versus 2017.

31-0.

Anyone mentioned Ohio State in the playoffs, just use that number. that'll be good 10 years from now.

The argument last year.. If OSU had only the single loss, be it to EITHER Oklahoma or to Iowa.. I would have put them in. Simply based on Strength of Schedule.. And that would have been more to teach a lesson to Alabama. At that point, OSU would have beaten a #4, #12 and #2 and possibly #5 teams while Alabama would have wins over a pretend #3, #19 and #16 with a loss to #6.

Road wins over strong non-conference opponents are golden. And losses to the same teams hurt you less. Clemson's road win over A&M is no doubt why they are ranked higher than ND and possibly LSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 PM

578 posts, read 373,920 times
[quote=Labonte18;53435602]31-0.

Anyone mentioned Ohio State in the playoffs, just use that number. that'll be good 10 years from now.

The argument last year.. If OSU had only the single loss, be it to EITHER Oklahoma or to Iowa.. I would have put them in. Simply based on Strength of Schedule.. And that would have been more to teach a lesson to Alabama. At that point, OSU would have beaten a #4, #12 and #2 and possibly #5 teams while Alabama would have wins over a pretend #3, #19 and #16 with a loss to #6.

Road wins over strong non-conference opponents are golden. And losses to the same teams hurt you less. Clemson's road win over A&M is no doubt why they are ranked higher than ND and possibly LSU.[
QUOTE]

What lesson?
A team plays who's on the schedule.
Who knew FSU would implode last year?
That appeared to be a marquee matchup going into the season.
Who knew Louisville would be a dog this year?
I can see the OSU argument if the only loss was to Oklahoma.
Not Iowa. That was too much of a black eye.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:42 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
The non conf schedules are set about 5-8 years in advance maybe even longer, but once Jackson declared for the draft and got drafted, everyone knew Lville was going to be a dog. No shocker there.

And yes, IF Ohio State had beaten Oklahoma last year and still got boat raced by Iowa the way they did, I would have put them in. I forgot what my exact quote was in last year's thread, but it was basically the same as Labonte's even if you got drilled by 60, that was your only loss and you would've had wins over Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State who were all ranked, all top 10 if not top 15, so the game you crapped the bed in was negated by the win over Oklahoma, and you played a top 5 schedule in the country, and you beat all those teams. Likewise, had they still lost to Oklahoma but beaten Iowa, and everything else remained the same they'd have been in the playoff anyways just because of where they were ranked going into that game. Which is where I think they'll be this year; assuming they don't lose another game the rest of the way, they should be, and probably will be one of the 4 teams in the playoffs. Conference champ (not that it matters anymore)?? Check. Impressive schedule?? Check. Good wins?? I know TCU has fallen and they can't get up, but that was basically a true road game for the Buckeyes. Penn State, Michigan both top 10 teams, Michigan State maybe ranked when they play, Wisco probably ranked mid teen's by the time they play again in the big 10 championship.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM

So what is the criteria for team selection?
I thought the goal was to pick the 4 best teams regardless.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 AM

[quote=lluvia;53436921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What lesson?
A team plays who's on the schedule.
Who knew FSU would implode last year?
That appeared to be a marquee matchup going into the season.
Who knew Louisville would be a dog this year?
I can see the OSU argument if the only loss was to Oklahoma.
Not Iowa. That was too much of a black eye.

You want scheduling? Schedule a home and home against Clemson. After all, you're going to wind up playing them anyway (so it seems)

Alabama doesn't schedule non-conference road games. Know what the last one was? 2011 vs Penn State. Want to know when the next one is? 2022.

At some point, it's going to happen, you're going to have Alabama and someone else who is pretty equal to them.. And one of them is going to get in. And they're going to look at Alabama scheduling 3 cream puffs a year and not playing a non-conference road game.. And the spot will go to the other team.

I do give them credit for ATTEMPTING to schedule a solid opponent with FSU and Louisville. Though, Louisville has never really been a consistently great program.

In 2022/2023 they are doing a home and home against Texas. Then in 2028/2029 a home and home against ND. But the next few years.. 2019 neutral site against Duke. 2020 neutral site against USC and 2021 neutral site against Miami. Now, we don't know how Texas will be in 4 years, but they're generally a solid program, so I give them kudos for that.. Notre Dame.. Well, who knows in 10 years.

I'm not totally against them scheduling cream puffs.. I mean, having two on your schedule is pretty common. But you take a program like Clemson.. They've just gotten done with a home and home against Auburn, and did one a few years back as well. They're doing a home and home with A&M now.. They get Notre Dame about every third year.. They alternate with South Carolina every year, which.. Roll of the dice on how that program will do. They still schedule cream puffs. Next year is Charlotte and Wofford. Even with all that, their schedule this year is pretty light to the point that if they were to lose a game, I think they don't make the playoffs. But that road win against A&M is their biggest win and could be the difference maker should they lose a game. A one-loss Clemson vs a one-loss Ohio State.. That A&M game could possibly be the tipping point to get Clemson into the playoffs.

I'd even be happy with Alabama scheduling a rivalry non-conference game to replace one of their 3 cream puffs a year. I mean, Georgia Tech.. Not a strong team currently, but a classic rivalry that could be cool to revisit and would raise my respect for Alabama's schedule.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 PM

[quote=Labonte18;53441438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post

You want scheduling? Schedule a home and home against Clemson. After all, you're going to wind up playing them anyway (so it seems)

Alabama doesn't schedule non-conference road games. Know what the last one was? 2011 vs Penn State. Want to know when the next one is? 2022.

At some point, it's going to happen, you're going to have Alabama and someone else who is pretty equal to them.. And one of them is going to get in. And they're going to look at Alabama scheduling 3 cream puffs a year and not playing a non-conference road game.. And the spot will go to the other team.

I do give them credit for ATTEMPTING to schedule a solid opponent with FSU and Louisville. Though, Louisville has never really been a consistently great program.

In 2022/2023 they are doing a home and home against Texas. Then in 2028/2029 a home and home against ND. But the next few years.. 2019 neutral site against Duke. 2020 neutral site against USC and 2021 neutral site against Miami. Now, we don't know how Texas will be in 4 years, but they're generally a solid program, so I give them kudos for that.. Notre Dame.. Well, who knows in 10 years.

I'm not totally against them scheduling cream puffs.. I mean, having two on your schedule is pretty common. But you take a program like Clemson.. They've just gotten done with a home and home against Auburn, and did one a few years back as well. They're doing a home and home with A&M now.. They get Notre Dame about every third year.. They alternate with South Carolina every year, which.. Roll of the dice on how that program will do. They still schedule cream puffs. Next year is Charlotte and Wofford. Even with all that, their schedule this year is pretty light to the point that if they were to lose a game, I think they don't make the playoffs. But that road win against A&M is their biggest win and could be the difference maker should they lose a game. A one-loss Clemson vs a one-loss Ohio State.. That A&M game could possibly be the tipping point to get Clemson into the playoffs.

I'd even be happy with Alabama scheduling a rivalry non-conference game to replace one of their 3 cream puffs a year. I mean, Georgia Tech.. Not a strong team currently, but a classic rivalry that could be cool to revisit and would raise my respect for Alabama's schedule.

I would think that if it came down to Alabama vs another program, the committee would focus on conference strength instead of non conference opponents.
While commendable, every non conference opponent you mentioned that Clemson has played, Alabama plays them regularly year in year out.
The exception being
South Carolina which is Clemson's natural geographical rival which Alabama plays every few years on a rotating basis.
Clemson's ND set up is courtesy of the ACC's contractual agreement with the Irish nothing Clemson scheduled on its own.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,191 times
All right. Here's the picks for Week 9. 28 games this week...i believe that ties the record this season, i don't know.

Baylor vs. (12) West Virginia
Toledo vs. Western Michigan
(22) Appalachian State vs. Georgia Southern
Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech
Louisiana Tech vs. Florida Atlantic
(19) Miami vs. Boston College
Indiana vs. Minnesota
Utah vs. UCLA
(4) Clemson vs. Florida State
Purdue vs. Michigan State
Texas Tech vs. Iowa State
Vanderbilt vs. Arkansas
(16) Wisconsin vs. Northwestern
North Carolina vs. Virginia
Arizona State vs. USC
Duke vs. Pittsburgh
(11) Florida vs. (9) Georgia
Illinois vs. Maryland
Iowa vs. (17) Penn State
(14) USF vs. Houston
(15) Kentucky vs. Missouri
NC State vs. Syracuse
(24) Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State
(18) Washington State vs. Stanford
Tennessee vs. South Carolina
(7) Texas vs. Oklahoma State
Hawaii vs. Fresno State
(21) San Diego State vs. Nevada

Pick Overall Record: 116-74
Pick Record Last Week: 12-7

Here are my picks.
Baylor vs. (12) West Virginia (As good as it would be for Baylor's bowl hopes, i just can't see them getting it done in Morgantown.)
Toledo vs. Western Michigan (Honestly, the Broncos aren't that good. They struggled to beat Miami (OH) and Bowling Green, neither of which are of any worth this season. Toledo should take this one.)
(22) Appalachian State vs. Georgia Southern (Pretty under-rated matchup...this definitely ain't last year's Georgia Southern team, but i think App State will be able to edge the Eagles out in a dogfight.)
Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech (I have more faith in the Hokies than i do Georgia Tech here.)
Louisiana Tech vs. Florida Atlantic (Tossup...i think, however, that the Kiffin ship finally rights itself.)
(19) Miami vs. Boston College (Miami's starting Rosier...man, Richt is still as stubborn as ever. Never change...i'm taking Boston College here.)
Indiana vs. Minnesota (This is a guess.)
Utah vs. UCLA (Utes have been hot as of late, having finally found an identity on offense. I'll take them here, but it's closer than expected.)
(4) Clemson vs. Florida State (Another game i feel will be closer than expected, but i still think Clemson takes this one.)
Purdue vs. Michigan State (2.5 point underdogs after last week? Man, Vegas must have something against Purdue. Either way, it would be one of the most Purdue things ever to blow out Ohio State by 29, and then turn out and look like crap the next week against a not real good Spartans team. I'm going to ignore what i feel will happen, though, and i will take Purdue.)
Texas Tech vs. Iowa State (This will be an interesting matchup to watch, and i'll give it to Iowa State.)
Vanderbilt vs. Arkansas (I figured Arkansas would lose this one...from what i've seen of both teams, however...i think Arkansas is just a little bit better.)
(16) Wisconsin vs. Northwestern (Hmm...i know this is a strange pick, but Wisconsin has had a history of trouble in Evanston. I have a feeling this will be one of the upsets of the day.)
North Carolina vs. Virginia (I mean, i guess you have a point by saying the Tar Heels aren't getting blown out, but they're still losing. I'll take Virginia to beat them twice in a row.)
Arizona State vs. USC (Trojans are terrible on the road, and good at home. They have a habit of screwing other teams' seasons up, especially when that road has to go to the Coliseum. And i don't think Arizona State will be able to do it.)
Duke vs. Pittsburgh (Always an interesting game to pick...Duke's okay, but absolutely nothing special. With a flip of the coin, Pittsburgh will be who i take.)
(11) Florida vs. (9) Georgia (This is a big rivalry game, so these can be tough to pick. However, i really don't think Florida's ready to beat Georgia yet. Give them another year or two.)
Illinois vs. Maryland (Even with last week's embarrassment, i'll give this one to Maryland.)
Iowa vs. (17) Penn State (Sorry, Hawkeyes. Y'all are decent, and i will acknowledge it, but your schedule has not been good, and you don't get the homefield advantage this time. Penn State beats you again.)
(14) USF vs. Houston (My second upset pick of the week. Bulls have played poorly, even though i will acknowledge they're unbeaten, but they're going to lose at some point. This game will be it, and it really won't be that close.)
(15) Kentucky vs. Missouri (Honestly, with how Kentucky looked against Vanderbilt, would this really be an upset, even if they are the higher ranked team? I expect the Tigers will beat Kentucky by at least 14-17 points, and i doubt at any point in this game that it'll be close.)
NC State vs. Syracuse (I'm still riding high on Syracuse right now. Plus, i think NC State got fat on cupcakes and average teams, and along with that, losing their one big OOC game. So now with the blowout loss they took last week, i don't think they should be ranked, and i think their troubles continue this week.)
(24) Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State (I was much, much higher on the Bulldogs than i should have been. Every time they're real hyped up, they fall a lot short of expectations. Their struggles continue in a painful close loss.)
(18) Washington State vs. Stanford (I'll take Wazzu, and they should win, but this is a bizarre conference. Even more bizarre is that Wazzu is their last hope at getting in the playoffs, and trust me - they are not winning out. They're going to lose at some point.)
Tennessee vs. South Carolina (Even with the QB change, i'm giving the edge to South Carolina. I'm still a little optimistic on Pruitt, but honestly, not here.)
(7) Texas vs. Oklahoma State (I predict that even with Ehlinger back, this will be another game where i almost have a heart attack.)
Hawaii vs. Fresno State (Well, Hawaii had a fun ride, and now it's finally settling down.)
(21) San Diego State vs. Nevada (I really can't see the Aztecs taking this after how they played against winless SJSU.)

Old 10-24-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
(4) Clemson vs. Florida State (Another game i feel will be closer than expected, but i still think Clemson takes this one.)

think this may be the first good chance to see Lawrence under pressure in a hostile environment. He's done well so far, at Georgia Tech and at Wake. Not wonderful at A&M, but he didn't play alot then.

BUT.. FSU's pass defense suuuuucks. With Clemson's receivers.. This could be very, very ugly. I'm talking Wake Forest ugly.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:09 PM

Week: 15-4
Overall: 131-59

Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 AM

Last week: 15-4
Overall: 131-59

Baylor vs. (12) West Virginia. West Va at home in Morgantown/
Toledo vs. Western Michigan. Rockets I guess Who knows??
(22) Appalachian State vs. Georgia Southern. Close game with App State winning late.
Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech. The Virginia Tech school is at home, and I have a lot more confidence in them than the Atlanta tech school, but can I cover my bases and say Tech wins
Louisiana Tech vs. Florida Atlantic. The Lane Kiffin's will get this win.
(19) Miami vs. Boston College. I'm really not sold on the Canes. That's a long trip up to Mass, it's going to be rainy & cold, outdoor stadium, and the Eagles are playing relatively well.
Indiana vs. Minnesota. I'll take the Gophers at home.
Utah vs. UCLA. I'm not sure if UCLA is really playing "any better" or if it was the product of playing 2 bad teams, but at the Rose Bowl, I think they win a close one over Utah that doesn't do very well on the road.
(4) Clemson vs. Florida State. This will be another semi close game for a while before Clemson pulls away late.
Purdue vs. Michigan State. Let down game for Purdue.....and Mich State, since 2006 has only lost 3 times at home back-to-back weeks, twice in 2006 when they finished 4-8 and once in 2016 when they finished 3-9. Last time they lost back-to-back home games back-to-back weeks when they finished above .500 was 1997. Relatively small sample sizes but I'll take the numbers. And really they don't have many losing streaks period home or away under Dantonio. Since 2010, they've only had 4 "losing" streaks: they lost 2 straight twice in 2012, had a 7 game losing streak in 2016 and after following with a win, ended '16 by losing 2 in a row.
Texas Tech vs. Iowa State. Air raid in Ames, I'll take the points
Vanderbilt vs. Arkansas. Bad vs. bad I'll take the bad team that's at home
(16) Wisconsin vs. Northwestern. Wisconsin always struggles in Evanston with that 11 AM central time kickoff, but I think they'll edge out the Wildcats. And this is important for the Badgers too with the Hawkeyes only at 1 conference loss, but the head-to-head loss to the Badgers: Northwestern despite losing back-to-back weeks at home to Duke & Akron actually control their destiny in the Big 10 West. They still have to go to Iowa, yes, but win this game and they'll be in the drivers seat to Indianapolis. Badgers will come ready to play from the get go.
North Carolina vs. Virginia. Virginia is the better team, but this is a Coastal division game, so watch for weird things to happen.
Arizona State vs. USC. They are at home in the friendly confines of the LA Memorial coliseum, so they'll win.
Duke vs. Pittsburgh. Throw logic out the window here. This is another Coastal game for starters and whenever I pick to win they lose, and when I pick them to lose they win. And really same with Pitt for that matter; pick them to lose they win, pick them to win and they lose, so we are going straight to the coinflip for this one, and the coin says....Duke!
Illinois vs. Maryland. I'd take Maryland on the road too, don't let me down Terps!
Iowa vs. (17) Penn State. I think Penn State is overrated, don't think Franklin is that good of a coach, but I can't take Iowa's creampuff schedule seriously, the 1 decent team they've played this year (Wisconsin) they lost and that was at home.
(14) USF vs. Houston. USF is due to lose at some point, and this looks like as good of a game as any for that to happen.
(15) Kentucky vs. Missouri. (11) Florida vs. (9) Georgia. I grouped the 4 SEC East teams together for a reason. I'm still on the "Kentucky can win the East" bandwagon, and luckily for me Kentucky got bailed out by LSU beating Georgia 2 weeks ago, so now Kentucky can afford a 2nd conference loss and still win the division.....of course that's assuming Georgia also suffers a second conference loss before Kentucky and that would have to come in Jacksonville. I don't think Kentucky can keep up with Mizzou points wise, so that should be conference loss number 2 for the Wildcats, Georgia/Florida is a little more difficult for me. Florida has been pretty good to me on here this year. I started 0-1 with them losing that Kentucky game (wouldn't they LOVE to have that game back right now) but since then I've been undefeated rolling with them @ Tennessee, @ Mississippi State and home vs. LSU, winning all 3. I should get out of this while I still can.
NC State vs. Syracuse. Tough road game for the Pack, but I think they pull it out.
(24) Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State. I'll gamble with A&M on the road and hope they can keep up their good play.
(18) Washington State vs. Stanford. How will Wazzu handle prosperity?? Seems like every week someone else is controlling the North, and every weekend there is a new "game of the year" in the North. Started off with U Dub, then went to Oregon, now it went to Wazzu. Since Stanford/Washington is next weekend, let's make Stanford the IT team for this week, and we'll reevaluate next Wednesday night where the Pac North is.
Tennessee vs. South Carolina. Yikes! 2 struggling teams, I'll take the gamecocks at home.
(7) Texas vs. Oklahoma State. Like Wisconsin in Evanston, the Longhorns in Stillwater usually struggle. Just like the Badgers, I think the Horns get the close win, and keep pace at the top of the conference.
Hawaii vs. Fresno State. Fresno at home, Hawaii not very good away from the Islands.
(21) San Diego State vs. Nevada. No idea here, I'll go with the home team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or