U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,441 times

Advertisements

19-9 on picks this week. Did pretty well...anyway, here's my Top 25 going into next week.

#1: Alabama (8-0)
#2: Notre Dame (8-0)
#3: LSU (7-1)
#4: Clemson (8-0)
#5: UCF (7-0)
#6: Michigan (7-1)
#7: Georgia (7-1) +2
#8: Oklahoma (7-1)
#9: Ohio State (7-1) +1
#10: West Virginia (6-1) +2
#11: Washington State (7-1) +7
#12: Kentucky (7-1) +3
#13: Texas (6-2) -6
#14: Penn State (6-2) +3
#15: Florida (6-2) -4
#16: Utah State (7-1) +7
#17: Houston (7-1) NEW
#18: Fresno State (7-1) +7
#19: Utah (6-2) NEW
#20: Cincinnati (7-1) NEW
#21: Washington (6-3) -8
#22: USF (7-1) -8
#23: Georgia Southern (7-1) NEW
#24: Wisconsin (5-3) -8
#25: Buffalo (7-1) NEW

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out

Syracuse (6-2)
UAB (7-1)
Virginia (6-2)
Boston College (6-2)
North Texas (7-2)
Boise State (6-2)
San Diego State (6-2)
Louisiana Tech (6-2)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:15 PM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
If there is ever a year a non-power conference team could sneak into the playoff, this would be the one. UCF probably isn't as strong as last year's version. But Clemson and Notre Dame are vulnerable; yes the schedules aren't difficult down the stretch, but I still have a gut feeling one or both of them sputter. Not a believer that Michigan is at that level- but they may well run the tables? I don't know. The OSU game is at home this year. And even a one loss Ohio St or Oklahoma team might not be as liable to pass UCF this season. Not more than two of those three SEC challengers will get into the playoff. If UCF goes undefeated again, I think there is plenty enough vulnerability among all the top ten (except Alabama), for the stars to align correctly to get UCF into the Dance. Bottom line: UCF may not look as strong as last season, but the other playoff challengers outside Alabama and perhaps LSU seem comprise a very weak field compared to other seasons, at least so it seems. And LSU will have a hard time avoiding at least one more loss, if not two.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
I'm going to try to figure out a way to get Notre Dame, a second SEC team, and UCF all into the playoffs. It might not even be that difficult now after what's gone down in the Pac 12 & Big 12. For all the anti 4 team playoff people, having 2 non power 5 conference teams in the playoff along with a second team out of a conference and I could see the 6 team, or hell even 8 team which is where it should be, expediated to be in play for 2019.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:33 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
How I could see that happen:

Clemson loses to whatever team survives out of the Coastal division.
Whoever wins the Oklahoma/West Virginia game loses somewhere before the Big 12 title game.
LSU beats Alabama.
Neither Georgia or LSU lose again before the SEC title game (if LSU beats Bama).
Michigan beats Ohio State, but loses to the West champ.
Notre Dame & UCF both finish undefeated.

Alabama would be in, whoever won the Georgia/LSU SEC championship game would be in, and Notre Dame would be in for 3 spots, than who do you pick for the 4th spot?? A 1 loss Clemson that lost it's last game and really didn't play that tough of a schedule?? A 2 loss Big 12 champ?? A 2 loss Michigan, a 2 loss Ohio State, or a likely 3 or maybe even 4 loss Big 10 champ?? The Pac 12 champ?? I think UCF would have as good a chance as any for that 4th spot, especially if they finished another unbeaten season.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 PM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
How I could see that happen:

Clemson loses to whatever team survives out of the Coastal division.
Whoever wins the Oklahoma/West Virginia game loses somewhere before the Big 12 title game.
LSU beats Alabama.
Neither Georgia or LSU lose again before the SEC title game (if LSU beats Bama).
Michigan beats Ohio State, but loses to the West champ.
Notre Dame & UCF both finish undefeated.

Alabama would be in, whoever won the Georgia/LSU SEC championship game would be in, and Notre Dame would be in for 3 spots, than who do you pick for the 4th spot?? A 1 loss Clemson that lost it's last game and really didn't play that tough of a schedule?? A 2 loss Big 12 champ?? A 2 loss Michigan, a 2 loss Ohio State, or a likely 3 or maybe even 4 loss Big 10 champ?? The Pac 12 champ?? I think UCF would have as good a chance as any for that 4th spot, especially if they finished another unbeaten season.
Yup- good synopsis. I think UCF's chances are very good so long as they don't lose a game. One correction from what I posted earlier: the Michigan-OSU game is at Columbus this year. My bad. But I don't believe Ohio St can possibly be a two loss team and have any chance (or at least shouldn't) of being in the playoff. They probably don't make the Big 10 championship without beating Michigan. Then who else can they sustain a second loss to? There is no "quality loss" they could sustain. Best test they face wouldn't even be in the Big 10 title game, but rather at Michigan State. Unlike last year when apparently they were getting strong consideration for the playoff as a two loss team, they had some quality wins. This year they've been blown out by Purdue, and beating TCU and Penn State as the season has maturated, has shown not to be a big deal. Only one potential two loss team I think exists that would conceivably be ahead of an undefeated Central Florida team at season's end and that would be the loser of next week's LSU-Alabama showdown.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:05 PM

447 posts, read 471,368 times
Please... It may be fun to dream about, but UCF’s chances of making the CFP are infinitesimal. But we’ll see where they are come Tuesday.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
I really only care about the team that has the best chance to beat Bama from season to season. This year that team is Clemson (again).

Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM

8,365 posts, read 8,363,445 times
Why should the SEC deserve to get a 2nd team in the playoffs?
With an 8 team playoff, then yeah. But expanding it makes too much good sense.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:01 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Why should the SEC deserve to get a 2nd team in the playoffs?
With an 8 team playoff, then yeah. But expanding it makes too much good sense.
Maybe so, Sco.

However, the reasons for expanding need to make sense, don't they? If the main reason for expanding the CFP system is to be sure that more than one team from any one conference gets in, or to be sure that somebody's personal team finally gets in because they rarely if ever, get in, then why is that good?

I'm not sure that a good reason for expanding any system -- and that includes basketball -- is where everybody (and his brother's) personal team gets in, only to be soundly thrashed by the old guard ASAP!

I believe that a good system will only continue to bring in those which truly belong there, and that should be those with the best records (WINS vs losses), and basically WHO did they actually beat that season (?)!

For college football, four is not bad; perhaps six may be a bit better (?), but to continue any further expansion may delve into questionable areas, in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:35 PM

8,365 posts, read 8,363,445 times
The FCS (formerly Division II, I believe) hasn’t had any problems with a proper playoff system for decades.
There’s no excuse for the FBS not to have a similar setup.

Just my .02..... keep the change.

But the 4 team playoff certainly is an improvement over the BCS system, et al in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or