U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Please... It may be fun to dream about, but UCF’s chances of making the CFP are infinitesimal. But we’ll see where they are come Tuesday.

I agree.. I did some figuring on it last week.. Again, my reasoning is that I want them to get in so they get stomped and they can all just shut the hell up.

This was my idea on how they could make it..

Quote:
Michigan loses to PSU, beats Ohio State.. LSU loses to Alabama.. Georgia even if they win out, they will likely lose to Alabama. WV loses to Texas, beats Oklahoma.. Then, assuming UCF wins out..

That would basically mean that they'd have to be placed below 2-loss teams. At that point, I think a strong case could be made for Alabama, Clemson, ND and UCF.

And.. UCF vs Alabama.. That will not be pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Vegas has LSU as a 2 TD underdog at home.

I expect Bama's margin of victory to be much wider than this. LSU can't score on Bama but Tua will most certainly hit on 3 or 4 bombs.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I expect Bama's margin of victory to be much wider than this. LSU can't score on Bama but Tua will most certainly hit on 3 or 4 bombs.

I'm interested to see this game. This is the first test of any sort for Alabama. A&M was the previous one and.. They were well in control of that game, but it wasn't their 'normal' 50 point victory.

Here's to hoping Clemson isn't ranked #3.. Just saw where no team ranked #3 in the initial poll has ever made the playoffs.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:16 AM

1,139 posts, read 556,273 times
Quote:

I worked in the FL Panhandle for years with local graduates from FSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and Florida. From my recollections that game will be fierce - a classic "SEC" surge not to be underestimated.
LSU lost in Gainesville (my Alma Mater), so they are not perfect. But they did pummel Georgia. They should be able to give Alabama their best matchup of the year albeit the Tide still has the "edge". But a UF graduate who had worked for many years as a marital therapist once said - "The concept of the perfect marriage is like trying to go undefeated in the SEC conference in football. For most people, it's unrealistic." Alabama usually loses at least one game a year in the SEC even when winning the championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWjJH9GbxI

With that said, I'll bet Notre Dame would have lost three games by now if they had to play in the SEC. I hope they lose and get shut out of the CFP. There is no need to see another gross mismatch with an elite SEC team like back in January of 2013. They barely beat Vanderbilt at home and Ball State - which would be like Alabama barely beating Lousiana Tech or Duke.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:48 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,335,087 times
Quote:

I expect it to be wider too. I just don't see LSU scoring much nor slowing Bama's offense down. Bama can throw it or run it equally well so there isn't anything LSU's defense can focus on other than maybe trying to prevent the big plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm interested to see this game. This is the first test of any sort for Alabama. A&M was the previous one and.. They were well in control of that game, but it wasn't their 'normal' 50 point victory.

Here's to hoping Clemson isn't ranked #3.. Just saw where no team ranked #3 in the initial poll has ever made the playoffs.
LSU is ranked #3 in this years initial poll. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

With that said, I'll bet Notre Dame would have lost three games by now if they had to play in the SEC. I hope they lose and get shut out of the CFP. There is no need to see another gross mismatch with an elite SEC team like back in January of 2013. They barely beat Vanderbilt at home and Ball State - which would be like Alabama barely beating Lousiana Tech or Duke.
No doubt Notre Dame would most likely have lost three games in the SEC. I really hope they lose a game and get excluded from the CFP. I really would not look forward to seeing another complete blowout in a semifinal playoff game. It would be a waste of a perfectly good spot for a better team. I would rather see UCF make even though they would get blown out just so they will shut up after being shown why they shouldn't be there. A two loss SEC team would make a better game than either one of those.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:18 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,902 times
First off, Happy Halloween to everyone on this forum. Now with that said, here's the picks for Week 10.

Ohio vs. Western Michigan
Temple vs. (5) UCF
Pittsburgh vs. Virginia
Western Kentucky vs. Mid Tenn State
Colorado vs. Arizona
Air Force vs. Army
Michigan State vs. Maryland
Oklahoma State vs. Baylor
South Carolina vs. Ole Miss
Syracuse vs. Wake Forest
Texas A&M vs. Auburn
Florida State vs. NC State
(7) Georgia vs. (12) Kentucky
Iowa vs. Purdue
Kansas State vs. TCU
Minnesota vs. Illinois
(10) West Virginia vs. (13) Texas
Boston College vs. Virginia Tech
(14) Penn State vs. (6) Michigan
(19) Utah vs. Arizona State
Duke vs. Miami
(2) Notre Dame vs. Northwestern
(1) Alabama vs. (3) LSU
Stanford vs. (21) Washington
BYU vs. Boise State
Cal vs. (11) Washington State

Pick Overall Record: 135-83
Pick Record Last Week: 19-9

Here are my picks.
Ohio vs. Western Michigan (I knew the Broncos weren't that impressive, and it showed last week. I expect it will be no different tomorrow.)
Temple vs. (5) UCF (I'll take UCF, but this a possible trap game in my mind, because as i've said before, Temple's figuring things out now.)
Pittsburgh vs. Virginia (I don't even know what the ACC Coastal is anymore.)
Western Kentucky vs. Mid Tenn State (If the Blue Raiders don't beat WKU this year, when?)
Colorado vs. Arizona (Tossup. Decided this on a coin flip.)
Air Force vs. Army (Falcons aren't that good this year. Yeah, they gave Boise State fits last week, but they have a habit of doing that. I'll give this to Army at home.)
Michigan State vs. Maryland (I just don't see this favoring Maryland with the drama that's started back up in College Park. Either way, even if the Spartans lose this, they're still going bowling...they end the season with Rutgers. That's all you need to know right there about MSU's bowl chances.)
Oklahoma State vs. Baylor (Hate to say it, but other than TCU, Baylor may be done winning this year.)
South Carolina vs. Ole Miss (Even with their terrible defense, i think Ole Miss is going to notch another conference win before the season's over other than Vanderbilt. I feel like it's going to be this one.)
Syracuse vs. Wake Forest (Potential trap for the Orangemen, and i'll take them in a close game.)
Texas A&M vs. Auburn (Fun fact: since A&M joined the SEC, the home team has never won in this series. With how Auburn's looked, it's likely not going to be different this year.)
Florida State vs. NC State (Ugh...felt real bad for Seminole fans last week with that drubbing. bowl hopes for them are looking pretty damn bad now.)
(7) Georgia vs. (12) Kentucky (I know this is a pretty damn big game for Kentucky, and it's at Lexington...but the problem with Kentucky is they are too much one dimensional. And i really don't see Georgia dropping their second game to a one-dimensional team. Kentucky has a pretty good defense...but offensively, all Georgia has to do is render Snell useless, and it's game over for Kentucky from there, because Terry Wilson is not good, and Hoak...has he played that much?)
Iowa vs. Purdue (I took a guess on this one.)
Kansas State vs. TCU (I know it's stupid to pick TCU right after they lost to Kansas, but things aren't too good in Manhattan either.)
Minnesota vs. Illinois (Another game i took a guess on.)
(10) West Virginia vs. (13) Texas (As a Texas fan, i want us to win. Now, in picks, i have to be realistic. And i can't help but feel but Grier is going to pick apart our hapless secondary too much for us to get the win IMO. I think it's going to be close, but Mountaineers outscore us.)
Boston College vs. Virginia Tech (Man, Hokies...the rough ride will continue this week. Give me the Eagles, but not by 21 points like Georgia Tech just did.)
(14) Penn State vs. (6) Michigan (James Franklin is starting to become the Mark Richt of the Big Ten. Michigan has all the pieces together now, much needed after last year, and they'll be looking for revenge from last year. Lay me down the Wolverines.)
(19) Utah vs. Arizona State (Could end up being wrong here, but this looks like an opportunity for some Pac-12 weirdness. And Utah typically doesn't do too well in November.)
Duke vs. Miami (Under-rated matchup, and i'll take the Hurricanes at home in a close game.)
(2) Notre Dame vs. Northwestern (If you're going to bet on a huge upset this week, put all of your chips here. Northwestern is the Jekyll & Hyde of the Big Ten - Lose to the likes of say, Ball State or Florida A&M one week, and then give Alabama the fight of their life the next. In some ways, you could also say that about Iowa, but this is more of Northwestern's thing. Notre Dame, however...definitely a lot better than last year's team. And it's difficult to find a game left that they'll lose. Other than this, Syracuse is about it. USC is not so good anymore. I expect this will be close, but Notre Dame will edge out Northwestern in the last few minutes.)
(1) Alabama vs. (3) LSU (Definitely the marquee game of the week. And i'm not picking Alabama just because they're Alabama. It has to do with two things. 1 - This is about Alabama's best offense ever, and i do think they'll be held to their lowest points all year, but still win. 2 - LSU has the defense, but offense is questionable. It's at night, yes...but Tua's going to have one or two breakout passes. I just don't really see LSU being the ones to take down the beast that is Alabama.)
Stanford vs. (21) Washington (I expect Washington will rebound here from the disgrace that was last week. If not, i'm going to start having a few questions about Chris Petersen.)
BYU vs. Boise State (BYU...are they the most inconsistent G5 team? Who knows. But i'll take Boise State here.)
Cal vs. (11) Washington State (Do i feel like Wazzu will still lose a game before the Pac-12 title? Yes. Here? Likely not. Although none of their games left are gimmes at this point. The conference's playoff hopes aren't dead...yet.)

Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I expect it to be wider too. I just don't see LSU scoring much nor slowing Bama's offense down. Bama can throw it or run it equally well so there isn't anything LSU's defense can focus on other than maybe trying to prevent the big plays.
Yeah. LSU will probably spend the better part of the afternoon trapped on the wrong side of the field with Burrow getting annihilated by Bama's pass rush and their run game getting completely shut down. Even if Tua has a suboptimal day, they will have more success moving the ball than any Alabama team vs LSU ever, which means LSU will rarely have good field position to work with. The LSU secondary will be under duress all day long.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 AM

578 posts, read 374,682 times
Quote:
Yeah. LSU will probably spend the better part of the afternoon trapped on the wrong side of the field with Burrow getting annihilated by Bama's pass rush and their run game getting completely shut down. Even if Tua has a suboptimal day, they will have more success moving the ball than any Alabama team vs LSU ever, which means LSU will rarely have good field position to work with. The LSU secondary will be under duress all day long.

If it's a close game that comes down to kicking, then LSU has the advantage.
Alabama's kicking game (particularly punting and place kicking) leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
If it's a close game that comes down to kicking, then LSU has the advantage.
Alabama's kicking game (particularly punting and place kicking) leaves a lot to be desired.
LSU's passing game leaves a lot to be desired.

Joe Burrow

6 TDs
3 INTs
53.8% completion rate
1,544 yards
6.9 yards per attempt
118.2 QBR

Tua Tagovailoa

25 TDs
0 INTs
70.4% completion rate
2,066 yards
13.6 yards per attempt
238.8 QBR

LSU will be the best defense Bama has faced this year. Bama will be the best defense LSU has faced this year and the best offense. LSU's offense will be one of the weakest Bama has faced this season.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 PM

578 posts, read 374,682 times
Quote:
LSU's passing game leaves a lot to be desired.

Joe Burrow

6 TDs
3 INTs
53.8% completion rate
1,544 yards
6.9 yards per attempt
118.2 QBR

Tua Tagovailoa

25 TDs
0 INTs
70.4% completion rate
2,066 yards
13.6 yards per attempt
238.8 QBR

LSU will be the best defense Bama has faced this year. Bama will be the best defense LSU has faced this year and the best offense. LSU's offense will be one of the weakest Bama has faced this season.
Not disputing that at all. Just making an observation on a phase of the game (kicking) that many overlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or