U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM

3,785 posts, read 6,515,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Alabama still hasn't played anybody. Any other team in the Top 5 would have gone into Death Valley and won 29-0, including Notre Dame and Ohio State.
Respectively they are the Bama of their conference except for ND so I can see that. LSU would be a strong contender in any conference not just the SEC. LSU has always been a coach away from being a Bama,Ohio state,Geoargia, or Clemson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 02:28 PM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
Quote:
Alabama still hasn't played anybody. Any other team in the Top 5 would have gone into Death Valley and won 29-0, including Notre Dame and Ohio State.

You must be from Louisiana or something.

LSU is hardly the second best team in the country. They couldn't even score at home in a game they've been obsessing over for a year. Clemson would lose to Alabama too, but Trevor Lawrence and their offense at least give them a puncher's chance.
{mod cut}Who do you want Alabama to play? It is slim pickings this year in college football and the chances of two upper echelon programs facing off before the playoff are very, very slim (pretty much any year). This year, there is Alabama in a world by itself. Not sure if I would qualify anybody even as being on just a tier below.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-05-2018 at 06:50 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Week: 15-11
Overall: 160-84

Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
Quote:
That might actually matter in a game against Clemson.

IMHO Clemson is the only hope we have against Bama this year. Lawrence is a better arm talent than Tua. He still has a lot of growing up to do, but he's one of the few guys who can really stretch the Bama defense out and take its tops off. They've also got a stable of good running backs and a stout defense. They'll still likely lose, but at least it might be a game.

I agree Clemson is the only shot.. How good a shot remains to be seen. I'm still concerned about Lawrence as by the time they get into the playoffs, he really won't have played in a game that was tight.

Unless BC, Duke or SC gives them a game.. Which, I don't really see. I mean, Gamecocks are building, but I don't think they're there yet.

Looks like an 8-4 Pitt will likely win the coastal.. Either that or a 7-4 VT.

Then a Clemson-ND semi-final game..

Clemson has an incredible running game. They do have a deep threat in the passing game this year. My theory last year was that with enough time, the Clemson running attack would wear down the Alabama defense. And, to be honest.. I'm thinking the same thing this year. That's their shot. Last year they had too many 3 and outs. But. This year, Alabama's starters haven't played a whole game. So, it's something of a keep it close until the 4th quarter and they could be gassed.

But I think I'd feel a whole lot better if Clemson had another year of experience from Lawrence under their belt.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree Clemson is the only shot.. How good a shot remains to be seen. I'm still concerned about Lawrence as by the time they get into the playoffs, he really won't have played in a game that was tight.

Unless BC, Duke or SC gives them a game.. Which, I don't really see. I mean, Gamecocks are building, but I don't think they're there yet.

Looks like an 8-4 Pitt will likely win the coastal.. Either that or a 7-4 VT.

Then a Clemson-ND semi-final game..

Clemson has an incredible running game. They do have a deep threat in the passing game this year. My theory last year was that with enough time, the Clemson running attack would wear down the Alabama defense. And, to be honest.. I'm thinking the same thing this year. That's their shot. Last year they had too many 3 and outs. But. This year, Alabama's starters haven't played a whole game. So, it's something of a keep it close until the 4th quarter and they could be gassed.

But I think I'd feel a whole lot better if Clemson had another year of experience from Lawrence under their belt.
I don't know if their run game is "incredible." I think it looks incredible against JV teams like Wake and Louisville and fairly average against more talented defensive fronts like FSU and Texas A&M. If Clemson has any success running the ball against Alabama, it will be because their passing game is clicking and Bama's LBs and safeties have to ease up.

That's not to say you guys don't have talented backs. You do. But I think the pass needs to open the running game rather than the other way around. Clemson's playoff fortunes rise and fall with Trevor Lawrence, and since Tua will be slinging it around and putting up points, Clemson can only stay in the game if Lawrence is doing the same.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM

The most disappointing story this season has been Justin Fields and his lack of playing time. I thought Kirby Smart would have called more passing plays for him, but it's clear he only sees him as a wildcat option. He sees the No. 1 player overall and MVP of the Elite 11 as a running QB. I wish Fields would have stuck with Penn State where Franklin would put his talents to better use.

Fromm is a good player, but Fields has the potential to give Bama headaches the same way Manziel and Watson did. That potential won't be realized this season because Smart, for whatever reason, is not bringing him along the way Dabo Swinney has Trevor Lawrence. I can't see him playing much next year either unless Smart pulls Fromm during the SECG and Fields shows out Tua-style.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I don't know if their run game is "incredible." I think it looks incredible against JV teams like Wake and Louisville and fairly average against more talented defensive fronts like FSU and Texas A&M. If Clemson has any success running the ball against Alabama, it will be because their passing game is clicking and Bama's LBs and safeties have to ease up.

That's not to say you guys don't have talented backs. You do. But I think the pass needs to open the running game rather than the other way around. Clemson's playoff fortunes rise and fall with Trevor Lawrence, and since Tua will be slinging it around and putting up points, Clemson can only stay in the game if Lawrence is doing the same.

Well, I will say that I expect Clemson's defensive line to harass Tua far more than he has been in the past. I can't think of a team that's put alot of consistent pressure on him.. You give Cam Newton all day to throw, he'll burn you.. But you put pressure on him and he cracks like bad pavement.

Of course.. anything can happen. Clemson will likely have a toughish game against ND and neither team has made it to the playoffs just yet, must less in the championship game.

I do agree that was part of the weakness last year. There was zero downfield threat with Bryant. the Clemson receivers are on par, at least, with Alabama's this year.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Well, I will say that I expect Clemson's defensive line to harass Tua far more than he has been in the past. I can't think of a team that's put alot of consistent pressure on him.. You give Cam Newton all day to throw, he'll burn you.. But you put pressure on him and he cracks like bad pavement.
That's true. Tua did look mortal on Saturday. All I'm saying is that Clemson will need to be ready for a shootout unlike years past against Bama. This means that their hopes begin and end with Lawrence.

Quote:
Of course.. anything can happen. Clemson will likely have a toughish game against ND and neither team has made it to the playoffs just yet, must less in the championship game.
I've been impressed with Ian Book, but far less impressed with the Irish as a team. I don't put much stock into the "they struggled against this unranked team" or "they barely beat so and so" arguments, but my issue with ND is that they never resoundingly beat anyone. I care about trends more than I do any one data point and so far we've seen ND battle it out in tight games that have no business being tight. I'll always grant teams the off-day or the surprise game where The Little Engine That Could gives them more than they bargained for, but if you play Ball State, Navy, Vandy, Pitt and Northwestern, at least 2 of those games should be 30+ point blowouts. They have too great a tendency to allow garbage offenses to put up multiple TDs on them.

Let's see if ND can beat down FSU. They should since it's a night game at home with temps below freezing. If it looks like they can't handle FSU's pass rush, then they might as well not even show up for the CFP.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-05-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That's true. Tua did look mortal on Saturday. All I'm saying is that Clemson will need to be ready for a shootout unlike years past against Bama. This means that their hopes begin and end with Lawrence.

I've been impressed with Ian Book, but far less impressed with the Irish as a team. I don't put much stock into the "they struggled against this unranked team" or "they barely beat so and so" arguments, but my issue with ND is that they never resoundingly beat anyone. I care about trends more than I do any one data point and so far we've seen ND battle it out in tight games that have no business being tight. I'll always grant teams the off-day or the surprise game where The Little Engine That Could gives them more than they bargained for, but if you play Ball State, Navy, Vandy, Pitt and Northwestern, at least 2 of those games should be 30+ point blowouts. They have too great a tendency to allow garbage offenses to put up multiple TDs on them.

Let's see if ND can beat down FSU. They should since it's a night game at home with temps below freezing. If it looks like they can't handle FSU's pass rush, then they might as well not even show up for the CFP.

"Unlike years past"? Quite frankly, I think that 2 of the 3 games basically WERE shootouts. Both the first two games hinged on one or two plays. People in 2015 were saying Clemson was going to get destroyed by Alabama.. I kept saying.. No. They might not win, but it would be a very close game. And, save for an onside kick.. Clemson very well could have won that game.

The second game.. Again, totally evenly matched. One play here or there and Alabama could have easily won that game.

The third game was a defensive game. The ONLY one. That game, IMO, came down to Clemson having no downfield threat from Bryant. The two defenses were pretty equal. Alabama's defense got them two scores.. Without those, remember, that's a 10-6 game. This one, all over.. Was won by Alabama. It might have been closer with a different QB, but.. I still think Alabama wins that game.

I think Clemson has a better Defensive line than Alabama this year. I'd take Clemson's linemen and put them against NFL Pro Bowlers and Clemson's would be better. Thing is.. Alabama isn't far behind. I think it balances.. Clemson's OL vs Alabama's DL.. That'll be a war. Perhaps Alabama's DL SLIGHTLY better. Each side will have some wins. Alabama's OL vs Clemson's DL.. Exact same thing. Alabama's got a quality OL, but Clemson has an exceptional defense. Each side is going to win some, lose some there.

Two areas.. Secondary.. Alabama has the advantage, clearly, in my eyes.. But.. Special teams advantage goes to Clemson because.. You know.. Clemson can actually kick the ball through the uprights. QB play.. RIGHT NOW.. I'd say advantage Tide. Will I still be saying that in January? Not sure. Since we know that Alabama will be facing Georgia for the SEC championship.. I will be anxiously awaiting that to see how Tua reacts against a team that has prepared for him.. And I'm assuming Georgia will be able to pressure him.

now.. You want a CFB case of higgledy-piggledy.. Tell me the outcome of this scenario..

Clemson wins out
Notre Dame wins out
Michigan wins out

Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship

There is No way an undefeated Clemson or ND gets left out. Clemson doesn't have a great resume this year, but they have a great margin of defeat. And.. If you look.. They beat the now #13 Orangemen.. the now #23 NC State, and we can assume the now #17 BC Eagles. None were ranked at the time..

ND, I agree, I don't think they're all that, but you know they get looked at with the googly eyes. So there's no chance they get left out.

Now.. You have 1-loss Alabama(to Georgia), Michigan(to ND), and Georgia(to LSU) all vying for 2 slots. Someone is going to be piiiiiiised. Rightly so. This could be, perhaps, the catalyst to a 6 team playoff. Though, we say that all the time and it doesn't happen. I doubt it happens here, but it's interesting to think about.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,329,836 times
Quote:

You must be from Louisiana or something.

LSU is hardly the second best team in the country. They couldn't even score at home in a game they've been obsessing over for a year. Clemson would lose to Alabama too, but Trevor Lawrence and their offense at least give them a puncher's chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
{mod cut}Who do you want Alabama to play? It is slim pickings this year in college football and the chances of two upper echelon programs facing off before the playoff are very, very slim (pretty much any year). This year, there is Alabama in a world by itself. Not sure if I would qualify anybody even as being on just a tier below.

You hear and see the "Alabama hasn't played anybody" all the time. Pretty much every year all year long. Then what happens, they win the national championship against what is supposed to be the best teams in the nation in the playoff. I really hope Notre Dame loses a game in the next few weeks because I really hate to see a playoff spot wasted on them. Who wants to see Alabama or Clemson romp all over Notre Dame by 40 points in a playoff game? I seriously doubt Notre Dame could even beat LSU. I believe the people like BahanYankee that say LSU wasn't or isn't a good team don't really understand football. Sure their offense leaves a lot to be desired but playing against Alabama, they were playing one of the very best at stopping the run game. Their defense was very very good but when you play a team that can both sling the ball all over the field and run it down your throats, there is only so much you can do to slow down their scoring. Anyone that knows and understands football defense knows that you sacrifice pass defense to stop the run and you sacrifice run defense to stop the passing game. When you are being attacked effectively by both, you are going to have a long day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or