U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,441 times

Advertisements

All right. On the morning after the midterms, here's the picks for Week 11.

Toledo vs. Northern Illinois
Wake Forest vs. NC State
(13) Fresno State vs. (22) Boise State
Illinois vs. Nebraska
Kansas vs. Kansas State
Maryland vs. Indiana
(10) Ohio State vs. Michigan State
Ole Miss vs. Texas A&M
South Carolina vs. Florida
(20) Wisconsin vs. (24) Penn State
Troy vs. Georgia Southern
Baylor vs. Iowa State
(15) Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Mississippi State vs. (1) Alabama
Northwestern vs. Iowa
Oklahoma State vs. (7) Oklahoma
Purdue vs. Minnesota
Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh
(9) Washington State vs. Colorado
Oregon vs. Utah
Auburn vs. (6) Georgia
Miami vs. Georgia Tech
USF vs. (14) Cincinnati
Temple vs. Houston
Southern Miss vs. (23) UAB
(18) Texas vs. Texas Tech
(4) Clemson vs. (16) Boston College
Cal vs. USC

Pick Overall Record: 155-89
Pick Record Last Week: 20-6

Here are my picks.
Toledo vs. Northern Illinois (Don't really know how this one will go.)
Wake Forest vs. NC State (I know the Demon Deacons got smoked by Syracuse last week, but i'm still not sold on NC State, and i feel like they'll drop this one before the season ends.)
(13) Fresno State vs. (22) Boise State (By far the big game of the weekday matchups. I'm going to roll with Fresno in a wild shootout.)
Illinois vs. Nebraska (I know that Illinois won big last week, and is doing better than Nebraska, along with being on the up, but Illinois is not playing Robb Smith's defense this week. And Nebraska has definitely gotten better, although too late to make a bowl. Give me Nebraska.)
Kansas vs. Kansas State (I know they're coming off of firing their HC, but i can't help but feel that Kansas takes another win before season's end.)
Maryland vs. Indiana (One thing i have learned - regardless of whether you're wrong or not, if Indiana is playing a semi-decent conference opponent, don't pick them, because it's not going to go well. They lose close ones, but never finish, no matter who they play. I assume it will be no different.)
(10) Ohio State vs. Michigan State (I can't see Ohio State getting shocked in East Lansing, even with some of the weaknesses on their team that have been exposed, plus the Spartans' lengthy injury list. Should MSU win though, they will unseat Northwestern as the most WTF team in the B1G.)
Ole Miss vs. Texas A&M (I've given up on picking Ole Miss at this point...holy god, that defense is 2015-16 Tech bad. Other than Vanderbilt, i don't see them winning a game left. I know they're on sanctions and all, but Jesus, that's no excuse for how bad they are on defense. Don't know whether to take A&M on the 12 points or not, but i think they win this one.)
South Carolina vs. Florida (Gamecocks have been a disappointment this year. Maybe you can attribute that to Kentucky and A&M being a bit improved this year (Kentucky especially), but still...then again, i shouldn't have been so ridiculously high on them to begin with. Even with Florida's QB situation, i think they edge it out, but it will be an ugly low-scoring matchup.)
(20) Wisconsin vs. (24) Penn State (Sorry, but i can't take Wisconsin here. Penn State got torched by Michigan last week, but so did Wisconsin when they played them. And i think Penn State's a bit better than Wiscy.)
Troy vs. Georgia Southern (I know how last week went for the Eagles, but i'm not all that impressed with Troy this year. I'll take Georgia Southern at home.)
Baylor vs. Iowa State (Bears' bowl hopes are looking pretty good with the state TCU's in. I think they sneak in, but it won't be this week.)
(15) Kentucky vs. Tennessee (Yes, i am aware the Volunteers looked like trash last week against Charlotte in an ugly win, but i just feel like Kentucky won't get 10 regular season wins with how one-dimensional they've been. Yes, they were somewhat less so much against Georgia, but if Kentucky had a good QB, they'd be in a lot better position. Plus, this has been one of my potential upset picks for a while, and i think it will happen.)
Mississippi State vs. (1) Alabama (State may have the SEC's best or second-best defense, but they're not holding Alabama to 30 or less. Hell, i don't even know if they'll hold them to less than 40 at this rate. Other than Clemson, and maybe Oklahoma or West Virginia, i can't really name teams that could upset Alabama.)
Northwestern vs. Iowa (Took a blind guess here. With how the B1G West is, though, that's likely going to be how i feel the rest of the season with them.)
Oklahoma State vs. (7) Oklahoma (Hate to break it, Pokes, but y'all ain't winning Bedlam this year either. West Virginia is probably and likely the only team left that can stop Oklahoma at this rate. At least, until the playoffs if they make it in.)
Purdue vs. Minnesota (Firing Robb Smith was a much needed adjustment that Fleck needed to make in order to help his chances at not being on a warm or maybe even hot seat next season. But i think Minnesota's bowl chances may have already moved on to another team.)
Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh (Who even knows with the Coastal anymore with how much of a five-way comedic s***show it is. Pittsburgh in a close one.)
(9) Washington State vs. Colorado (Even with how they fared last week, i don't really see Pac-12 chaos happening here this week either. Wazzu on the road over a Colorado team on a quick spiral downward that might see MacIntyre fired depending on what happens...or next season.)
Oregon vs. Utah (And the Utes choke it up in November again. I don't know why i'm surprised at this point. And i don't see things getting better this week.)
Auburn vs. (6) Georgia (If there's any week where Auburn gets knocked back into reality, it's going to be this one. Couldn't run the ball for crap on A&M, and not only that, but Georgia has an excellent pass defense. I expect Georgia will win by at least 20, and at max, 35-37.)
Miami vs. Georgia Tech (Could the Hurricanes still make a bowl if they lose this week? I don't know, considering VT and Pitt are afterwards. But again, with the Coastal being the way it is, you don't know what will happen.)
USF vs. (14) Cincinnati (I think Houston broke the Bulls.)
Temple vs. Houston (Kind of a tough one to pick, but i'll give the edge to Houston.)
Southern Miss vs. (23) UAB (UAB is hot as a firecracker this year and will likely win their division, while Southern Miss...below-average or mediocre. Don't know how they feel about Hopson, but...)
(18) Texas vs. Texas Tech (I'll give the Longhorns the edge, but this game is one that concerns me. Tech again has a pretty good offense with a questionable defense, and i highly doubt this will be a blow out. Expect a shootout in Lubbock, though.)
(4) Clemson vs. (16) Boston College (Clemson's best shot at a loss until playoffs. Boston College has scared Clemson in some recent years and not so much in a few others. I think they'll put a bit of a scare into Clemson, but the Tigers win by around 10 points, the punctuation mark coming late.)
Cal vs. USC (I get the state the Trojans are in, but it's been about 15 years since Cal has beaten USC at this rate. So like Kentucky with Florida, until Cal beats USC, i'm not picking them in this matchup. That happening this year, however, would really amp up the Fire Clay Helton crowd.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You hear and see the "Alabama hasn't played anybody" all the time. Pretty much every year all year long. Then what happens, they win the national championship against what is supposed to be the best teams in the nation in the playoff. I really hope Notre Dame loses a game in the next few weeks because I really hate to see a playoff spot wasted on them. Who wants to see Alabama or Clemson romp all over Notre Dame by 40 points in a playoff game? I seriously doubt Notre Dame could even beat LSU. I believe the people like BahanYankee that say LSU wasn't or isn't a good team don't really understand football. Sure their offense leaves a lot to be desired but playing against Alabama, they were playing one of the very best at stopping the run game. Their defense was very very good but when you play a team that can both sling the ball all over the field and run it down your throats, there is only so much you can do to slow down their scoring. Anyone that knows and understands football defense knows that you sacrifice pass defense to stop the run and you sacrifice run defense to stop the passing game. When you are being attacked effectively by both, you are going to have a long day.
I believe some people on this forum cannot detect sarcasm.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:02 PM

6,535 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Last week: 15-11
Overall: 160-84

Toledo vs. Northern Illinois. Huskies undefeated so far in the MAC and would likely wrap up a trip to the MAC title game with a win at home. Western Michigan, who they play on the road the final game of the season is currently in a tie for 2nd with Toledo, but Toledo won the head-to-head with the Broncos, so this race is likely over with a Huskies home win, and I think they get it. I'll get the rest in later tonight, but wanted to make sure I got that in to start.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Last week: 15-11
Overall: 160-84

Toledo vs. Northern Illinois. Huskies undefeated so far in the MAC and would likely wrap up a trip to the MAC title game with a win at home. Western Michigan, who they play on the road the final game of the season is currently in a tie for 2nd with Toledo, but Toledo won the head-to-head with the Broncos, so this race is likely over with a Huskies home win, and I think they get it. I'll get the rest in later tonight, but wanted to make sure I got that in to start.
Toledo vs. Northern Illinois. Picked above earlier.
Wake Forest vs. NC State. I'll take the Wolfpack, especially at home.
(13) Fresno State vs. (22) Boise State. This will be a fun game to watch! I've got Boise by a touchdown.
Illinois vs. Nebraska. Nebraska has certainly been playing better of late. Won't amount to a bowl bid, but could end up with 4 wins, which isn't saying much, but the way they started the season they'd probably sign up for 4 wins.
Kansas vs. Kansas State. Kansas basketball just tipped off which means Kansas football is irrelevant.
Maryland vs. Indiana. I'll take Indiana at home.
(10) Ohio State vs. Michigan State. This will be a close game, and even though I don't think this OSU team is very good, and they won't be able to run the ball at all on Saturday I'll take them in East Lansing over the banged up Spartans.
Ole Miss vs. Texas A&M. Aggies should win this pretty easily.
South Carolina vs. Florida. If the Gators lose this, I'll wonder if they'll even beat FSU??
(20) Wisconsin vs. (24) Penn State. Way more important for Wisconsin then for Penn State. It's very unlikely to happen as they'll still need Northwestern to lose twice, but the Badgers are still mathematically alive for the Big 10 west while Penn State is eliminated from East discussion.
Troy vs. Georgia Southern. I'll take the Eagles at home.
Baylor vs. Iowa State. Nice comeback for the Bears last week, but Iowa State is still alive to play in the Big 12 title game, and they won't blow it at home.
(15) Kentucky vs. Tennessee. This Tennessee team is garbage. I don't care if Kentucky is one-dimensional offensively, or this game is in Knoxville, Tennessee could only manage 14 points against Charlotte last weekend.
Mississippi State vs. (1) Alabama. Yah, so apparently, MSU has some pretty good defensive numbers so far this year?? Those will be taking a hit come 7 PM Saturday night or so.
Northwestern vs. Iowa. Nobody was a bigger beneficiary from Purdue's win over Iowa last weekend then Northwestern was. The Wildcats would still be in OK shape even had Iowa won, as at worst they'd be in a 3 way tie with Wisconsin & Iowa (no clue how the tiebreaker would work though since each would be 1-1 against each other). Now, they have the tiebreaker over BOTH the 4-2 teams (Wisconsin & Purdue) since they beat both head-to-head, and even losing the tiebreaker to Iowa, Iowa would still be a game back, so in any case they would still need to lose again (@ Minnesota, home vs. Illinois) to not win the division. If I were Pat Fitzgerald, I'd treat this as a virtual bye week: you are still playing to win, but if the game gets away from you early, get the starters out of there to get them some extra rest and to avoid any injury.
Oklahoma State vs. (7) Oklahoma. Never take anything for granted in Bedlam, but Oklahoma is still Oklahoma, but the 'Pokes seem to be a bit down than in recent years. if those 'Pokes teams with Mason Rudolph and Dez Bryant couldn't beat them, I have a hard time seeing this years version of the 'Pokes beating them.
Purdue vs. Minnesota. Much like how Northwestern was the biggest beneficiary of Purdue's win last weekend, Purdue could be the biggest beneficiary of an Iowa win this week. Beat Minnesota and have Iowa win, you are in a 3 way tie with Northwestern & Wisconsin, and you play Wisconsin at home next weekend. Win that game, and all of a sudden you are another Northwestern loss away from being the West representative in the Big 10 title game.
Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh. I've given up on projecting the Coastal. The only thing I've concluded is that its so wacky, pick the opposite of what you expect to happen. Pittsburgh SHOULD win, so that's why I'm picking Virginia Tech
(9) Washington State vs. Colorado. There's still the possibility of craziness in the Pac-12 South, but don't think Colorado is going to be apart of that....
Oregon vs. Utah.....And neither do I think Utah will either.
Auburn vs. (6) Georgia. This will be a blowout from the start.
Miami vs. Georgia Tech. I don't think either team is better than the other, but Miami probably has more talent, so they should win, but since this is the ACC Coastal pick the opposite, so Georgia Tech it is.
USF vs. (14) Cincinnati. Cincinnati continues one of the biggest stories of 2018.
Temple vs. Houston. Good game. I'll give Houston the edge at home, but really wouldn't be surprised if Temple won.
Southern Miss vs. (23) UAB. Amazing how this school didn't even have a team 2 years ago and is now the top rated defense in all of football.
(18) Texas vs. Texas Tech. High scoring affair, and I'll pick the over, even if the over/under is 130.5 points, but I have absolutely no trust in the Tech defense, they couldn't stop a nose bleed. Texas isn't much better defensively, but at least I have a semi level of trust in the 'Horns defense getting a stop when it matters.
(4) Clemson vs. (16) Boston College. What have we seen in the last few weeks?? Florida had the chance to wrestle the East away from Georgia, couldn't do it. Then last week Kentucky had the chance to win the East over Georgia....couldn't do it. This week BC has the chance to wrestle the Atlantic away from Clemson.....think they are a year or 2 away from doing that. But they usually play Clemson close, and at home, I see this being close for 2.5 or 3 quarters before Clemson pulls away late.
Cal vs. USC. They certainly aren't a good team overall, but they are at least a semi-decent at home in the coliseum. If this was in Berkeley I would probably pick the Bears even with that dreadful head-to-head record since Pete Carroll arrived.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,329,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I believe some people on this forum cannot detect sarcasm.
Sorry, my bad. Sarcasm is hard to detect sometimes when reading posts. I missed it. I have a sarcastic humor as well and it happens quite often when I make sarcastic posts.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
ND QB Book is out this week.. They say he'll be back for the Syracuse game.. I think it's not that big a deal with him being out against FSU especially since it's at Notre Dame, but.. If he winds up out for Syracuse.. That could get interesting.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Good pick on Wake over NC State SouthernTiger.....paper tiger those Wolfpack!

Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 PM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
Penn State doing its best NC State impression to try and keep Wisconsin in the game. Difference is that Wisconsin won’t comply and is a mess offensively. 1:44 left and up 12, Penn St can take a knee in its own territory, but instead fumbles it away on an inexplicable play call. Penn State still going to win. I know Franklin has turned this program around, but he has done several bizarre things in this game which made me realize this guy is a total idiot when it comes to game management/play decisions.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:43 PM

28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times
Absolutely no defense in the OU, OSU game. Both teams should be in the mid-50s when this is done.

UPDATE: 20 minutes later, no one has scored - figures after I made note of it...

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-10-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
What the hell kind of a crap offense does Mississippi State run? No wonder so many kids coming into the NFL aren't ready when you have some of these college teams running gimmick offenses that essentially depend on hitting 3-4 huge plays every game to actually score points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or