U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:35 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,402 times

Advertisements

I know it's too early to tell, but anyone else thinking UMass could win 6 games, maybe even more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 04:52 AM

Welp...Either Hawaii's quarterback is that good, or Colorado State's in for a long season this year.

Congrats to A&T on their win over Jacksonville State. They'll likely go unbeaten again this season.

I took a gamble on picking New Mexico State...Oh, well. I was right on the Rice game...even if they needed a field goal to beat Prairie View A&M. Looks like they have more pieces to pick up from the David Bailiff years than i thought.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:07 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,124,122 times
Didn't expect Hawaii to be that good; the Rams just weren't able to get it together!

NM State looking like it always has last night; the Aggies had no answer for Wyoming.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:10 AM

All right...here's the game picks for Week 1.

Northwestern vs. Purdue
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan
Army vs. Duke
San Diego State vs. (16) Stanford
Colorado vs. Colorado State
Florida Atlantic vs. (7) Oklahoma
(24) Texas vs. Maryland
Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech
(6) Washington vs. (12) Auburn
Central Michigan vs. Kentucky
(10) West Virginia vs. Tennessee
Washington State vs. Wyoming
North Carolina vs. Cal
Boise State vs. Troy
Cincinnati vs. UCLA
Louisiana Tech vs. South Alabama
Nicholls State vs. Kansas
(15) Michigan vs. (9) Notre Dame
Mid Tenn State vs. Vanderbilt
Louisville vs. (1) Alabama
BYU vs. Arizona
(8) Miami vs. (23) LSU
(14) Virginia Tech vs. (18) Florida State

Pick Overall Record: 2-3

Here are my picks.
Northwestern vs. Purdue (I'm pretty high on Purdue this year...i expect this game to be close, and might even go to OT, but as of now, i'll take the Boilermakers.)
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan (I know the Orange haven't been that good in the ACC aside from upsetting someone every year, but they should handle Western Michigan, who is taking steps back.)
Army vs. Duke (Tough one to pick, but i'll give a slight edge to Duke here.)
San Diego State vs. Stanford (This'll be a revenge game for Stanford...won't be a blowout, though.)
Colorado vs. Colorado State (Rams are in for a long season if things don't get better.)
Florida Atlantic vs. Oklahoma (I know this game's being hyped up because of Lane, and his Owls will score some points on OU's poor defense...but i don't see the Owls hanging with the Sooners for all four quarters.)
Texas vs. Maryland (We should beat Maryland this year with everything surrounding College Park, but after last year, this one has me nervous, honestly...plus, the fact that Maryland has Matt Canada at OC this year.)
Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech (At first, i had Texas Tech picked to win this game, but as the offseason went on, i began to lean more and more towards the Rebels the more i researched both teams. It'll be a close one, but i think the Rebels out-offense Tech.)
Washington vs. Auburn (Auburn typically gets off to a less than satisfactory start in the first part of their season, and plus, their O-line is questionable, their secondary is not going to be too good, and in some ways, receivers are a question mark. I'll take Washington, because i believe Browning will light up the Tigers' secondary, and while Stidham will play well throughout the season, his O-line is not going to help, and i think it's going to unintentionally force him into making some bad passing decisions.)
Central Michigan vs. Kentucky (I know a few people are saying this could be a surprise game...my question is, why? the Chippewas nearly lost to Rhode Island last year (one of the worst in the FCS, mind you), got whipped by Syracuse, and lost to Miami (OH) on their own turf. Kentucky shouldn't have too much to worry about here, even though none of their QBs have taken a snap in a college football game yet. I have plenty of faith in Mark Stoops here.)
West Virginia vs. Tennessee (Yikes...what a bad first game for Jeremy Pruitt this is going to be. Grier and the Mountaineers' offense are going to absolutely light it up this week, and while WVU's defense is not good, Tennessee will not be able to keep up.)
Washington State vs. Wyoming (This one was hard to pick...but i'm taking the Cougars in a 3 to 5 point game.)
North Carolina vs. Cal (Tar Heels are on a bit of a downslide as of late...and it doesn't help that they're going to have players suspended again.)
Boise State vs. Troy (Just a guess pick here, but this game is one of the under-rated matchups of the week IMO.)
Cincinnati vs. UCLA (UCLA also has players getting in trouble, but they should take care of Cincy week 1.)
Louisiana Tech vs. South Alabama (I'll take LT on the road over the Jaguars.)
Nicholls State vs. Kansas (The fact that this game is even on here shows how bad Kansas has gotten. And i'll take Nicholls...Kansas really could go 0-12 this year. David Beaty will not be back in Lawrence in 2019, mark it down.)
Michigan vs. Notre Dame (Tough one to pick here...i don't know a lot about either team, but in the end, i'm giving the edge to Notre Dame. South Bend is hard as hell to play in...hell, Georgia last year only beat them by 1 point.)
Mid Tenn State vs. Vanderbilt (Tossup here.)
Louisville vs. Alabama (There are many reasons why the Tide will roll, and not just because of Alabama - Louisville is minus Lamar Jackson, and Petrino had the bright idea to hire Brian VanGorder as his DC. Seriously, how that guy keeps getting jobs is beyond me.)
BYU vs. Arizona (Man, how BYU fell last year...it won't be any better for them here.)
Miami vs. LSU (I don't have much faith in LSU, or Ed Orgeron. I think Miami takes this.)
Virginia Tech vs. Florida State (Feel free to call me nuts, but even with Deandre Francois back, i'm going with Virginia Tech in the upset. Yes, the Hokies had a rough offseason, with injuries and attrition on defense, but they do return some offensive talent...plus, this is Taggart's first game as FSU head coach, and i think it'll be tough for him. Again, i could be wrong here.)

Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,859,805 times
I had a rough week 0 going (2-3). Darn Hawaii! LOL

Northwestern vs. Purdue // I expect NW to be solid again, and you just can't trust Purdue
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan // Upset special, but not really
Army vs. Duke // I always pick the US Military!
San Diego State vs. (16) Stanford // Should be a good game
Colorado vs. Colorado State // Darn Hawaii!
Florida Atlantic vs. (7) Oklahoma // Not even close
(24) Texas vs. Maryland // Payback
Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech // I have no clue how Texas Tech will be this year
(6) Washington vs. (12) Auburn // This is a coin toss in my opinion
Central Michigan vs. Kentucky // probably wrong
(10) West Virginia vs. Tennessee // Let's Goooooo!!!!!!!!
Washington State vs. Wyoming // Leach for the win
North Carolina vs. Cal // Interesting match up
Boise State vs. Troy // Smurf Turf
Cincinnati vs. UCLA // I'd like to pick Cincinnati, but I can't until I see something.
Louisiana Tech vs. South Alabama // Who cares
Nicholls State vs. Kansas // Wanted to give Kansas the benefit of the doubt hahaha
(15) Michigan vs. (9) Notre Dame // Tough to call, but hope that the game ends with both teams being disqualified
Mid Tenn State vs. Vanderbilt// Should be close
Louisville vs. (1) Alabama // Not so close
BYU vs. Arizona // Dumping Rich Fraud will propel Zona over the top
(8) Miami vs. (23) LSU // Upset, but not because Miami is better
(14) Virginia Tech vs. (18) Florida State // Only because FSU is home

Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Just glad the season is really getting underway. It seems like so long between seasons. Just hoping USC and SDSU have good seasons, cause I am sure U OF A the Hogs will not this year.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:58 AM

1,134 posts, read 554,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I think the Pac12 is pretty well represented. I'm a Washington fan, and hope they do well. #6 is probably about right. Oregon has a really good quarterback, Justin Herbert, and should have a good running game. Defense? Probably not great, but if they average 40 to 50 points a game, they'll probably go 8 and 4 with scores like 56 to 49. Gonna be an interesting season, as usual.
ESPN Gameday should have gone to Auburn-UW but (as usual) chose ND-Michigan for the ratings.
This is a must-win for UW in my opinion since the East Coast bias is strong when it comes to CFP selection.
Unlike the 70s, 80s, mid 90s and early 2000s, the Pac-12 seems to be treated as a "red-headed stepchild" when it comes to CFP selection or the Heisman. Stanford should have had at least one Heisman winner (Toby or Christian) but got bumped out by East Coast bias. If Auburn loses a close game but goes on to beat an undefeated Alabama or Georgia late in the season, they are pretty much in if they win all other games. I don't think UW will be given the same benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile, ND will probably fall apart late in the season again. I think they will beat Michigan but will get injuries and roll off the rails sometime in Oct/Nov.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
Week 0 1-4
The Cat missed a few but took some risks too.

NORTHWESTERN vs. Purdue You cannot trust Purdue, even as 1 point faves at home. I think NW eeks it out

SYRACUSE vs. Western Michigan The ORANGEMEN start off with a hard fought win

San Diego State vs. (16) STANFORD Both Stan and Ford seem to think this will be a blowout.
COLORADO vs. Colorado State After the way CS played Hawai'i, no wonder they are a 7 point underdog.
Florida Atlantic vs. (7) OKLAHOMA Even against the best the Conference USA has to offer, Oklahoma should be OK.
(24) TEXAS vs. Maryland I hate to pick Texas on the road against a real team the first game of the season. This one could be an upset for Maryland, if there is such a thing as an upset in the first week of play.
Ole Miss vs. TEXAS TECH First game at home, Red Raiders should get a win
(6) Washington vs. (12) AUBURN Best game of the week. taking the SEC at home over the PAC 18
Central Michigan vs. KENTUCKY Taking SEX at home over the Northwestern/Middle American small school college
(10) WEST VIRGINIA vs. Tennessee Knoxville won't seem like almost heaven after this one
Washington State vs. WYOMING The Cougars crawl into Laramie or Cheyenne to play the undefeated powerhouse Cowboys of the mid mountain western division. Yee Haw The Cats have teeth but the Cowboys have guns and this is their ranch.
North Carolina vs. CAL The Golden Bears are heavily favored at home
BOISE STATE vs. Troy Troy seems to be hit or miss and the Boise State Horses are ranked
Cincinnati vs. UCLA This is a big game for the Bruins.
LOUISIANA TECH vs. South Alabama Crummy Game of the week
Nicholls State vs. KANSAS second worse game of the week. Kansas is bottom ten worthy but Nichols is a division 3 school, so go figure.
(15) Michigan vs. (9) NOTRE DAME
Mid Tenn State vs. VANDERBILT Thanks again to the guys at MTSU for the free Tshirt at the Airshow.
Louisville vs. (1) ALABAMA Blowout of the week
BYU vs. ARIZONA
(8) MIAMI vs. (23) LSU Lots of talk about the U being in the final 4 A win here will help those odds.
(14) VIRGINIA TECH vs. (18) Florida State The Criminoles new coach is untested, they are uncertain at QB so lets let the HOKIE_POKIES win on the road.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
Default Lundquist is gone to sportscaster hell

One prediction, games on the SEC channel will continue to be better now that Verne Lundquist is gone. I can actually watch the games with the sound ON for a change.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:12 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Last week: 4-1
Overall: 4-1

Northwestern vs. Purdue. Good game to opening the year, but why are we playing conference games before September?? I'll take the Wildcats on the road. That defense was legit last year and defense travels.
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan. No idea why.
Army vs. Duke. Was this the game Army won last year without completing a single pass??
San Diego State vs. (16) Stanford. Stamford should roll here.
Colorado vs. Colorado State. Both teams will be horrible, but the Rocky Mountain Showdown always a fun event to tune into.
Florida Atlantic vs. (7) Oklahoma. As an Oakland A's fan, added interest to see their first round draft pick from this past year's MLB draft Kyler Murray and how he performs this year for the Sooners before beginning his pro baseball career in 2019.
(24) Texas vs. Maryland. No idea how Maryland won this game last year, but Texas should get this one this year
Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech. First team to punt loses??
(6) Washington vs. (12) Auburn. Great opening week showdown. I agree with a previous poster this is as close to "must win" you can have in week 1 for Washington if the Huskies want to get into the playoff at the end of the year. I think Auburn can survive this and still get in (despite in my opinion the SEC being way down) because of the reputation it has, I have a hard time seeing Washington lose this one but yet still being one of the 4 teams standing at the end.
Central Michigan vs. Kentucky. I'll take UK, but I think it will be close.
(10) West Virginia vs. Tennessee. This isn't going to be much fun for Jeremy Pruitt.
Washington State vs. Wyoming. Close game. Wyoming has the benefit of already playing so getting the rust out AND are at home, but I'll take the Cougs by a late field goal.
North Carolina vs. Cal. Cal at home against an East Coast team.
Boise State vs. Troy. Very underrated game of the week. This could potentially be Boise's lone trap to an unbeaten season.
Cincinnati vs. UCLA. Who hasn't been suspended for UCLA, but they should win pretty convincingly in Chip Kelly's Pasadena debut.
Louisiana Tech vs. South Alabama. Guess pick, don't really know a whole lot about either team.
Nicholls State vs. Kansas. Yes Kansas stinks but I could never pick an FCS team to beat an FBS team.
(15) Michigan vs. (9) Notre Dame. The overrated bowl!! By the way, has anyone seen Michigan's schedule this year?? Woof! Harbaugh can't possibly get fired if they finish 7-5 this year, can he??
Mid Tenn State vs. Vanderbilt. Vandy in a close game.
Louisville vs. (1) Alabama. This would have been a much better game last season!
BYU vs. Arizona. BYU is the team that always ruins me. Without fail, whenever I pick them they lose, and when I pick against them they win, so watch BYU win.
(8) Miami vs. (23) LSU. Remember how I said in the Auburn/Washington matchup I thought the SEC was down this year?? LSU is a prime example of that, I don't like this team at all.
(14) Virginia Tech vs. (18) Florida State. Tech's defense wins the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or