U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I wonder who would get into playoffs if

Ohio State beats Michigan, then loses to Northwestern.

West Virginia beats Oklahoma.

ND loses to USC.

Washington States loses to Washington or in the PAC 12 title game.

Georgia loses to G Tech.

In that scenario I think ND gets in but not sure about the 4th team. THey'll probably put UGA in again but if Oklahoma beat Texas in BIg 12 title game they would have beat one of the two teams they lost to.
Alabama, Clemson, UCF and the final spot will come down to Michigan, Notre Dame, West Virginia or Texas.

Say what you will about UCF but in this scenario you would have MULTIPLE teams with 2 losses as a potential semifinalist, so I don't see how there is any way you can keep UCF out of the playoff if this were too occur.

Also, could we have another situation of team A beating team B and winning the conference but team B getting the playoff spot?? In 2016 it was Penn State beating Ohio State winning the Big 10, but Ohio State got the playoff spot. In 2017 it was Auburn beating Alabama to win the division, but Alabama made the playoff. In 2018 we have that potential to happen with Michigan and Ohio State. Honestly, I don't see how Ohio State makes the playoff even with a win.....there's currently a 6 difference gap in the poll and you could make the case that even with Maryland's failed 2 point conversion you could actually drop the Buckeyes even further to make that a bigger gap heading into this weekend, and even IF Ohio State were to win, the difference would be too much to jump Michigan right away. And playing a Northwestern team that is 6-4, 7-4 in the Big 10 championship game I also don't think is going to be enough to make the difference. Unless we see the carnage that was posted above, honestly, I think the ONLY thing an Ohio State win does on Saturday is eliminate the conference from playoff discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
At what point do the ACC and SEC move to a 9 game conference schedule and join the Pac 12, Big 12 and Big Ten in doing this?

Unless we see USC pull an upset over Notre Dame, 2 Power 5 conference champions will be left out of the playoff this year.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Clemson won a national title in 1981 and it was a top 10 program in the 80s.

I'm not sure why you think another coach could not be successful at Clemson.

I also don't see any reason for Dabo to leave Clemson for Alabama. Clemson is in a good recruiting area, has good facilities, pays well, etc.

Well, let's look at the list of coaches that couldn't do it..

Danny Ford - Won the '81 title.. Then constantly ran afoul of the NCAA.

Ken Hatfield.. Hatfield gets a good bit of hate that he shouldn't. He had something of a mess when Ford left and did decently well with it.

Tommy West.. WTF.

Tommy Bowden.. This was the hire that they thought was going to bring them another title. He wasn't horrible, but reality was way off from expectations

The program at Clemson is Dabo's.. He's been there 10 years now, and that program is his. Everything is his, from the recruiting to the new facilities. And the reason that Clemson recruits so well is because of Dabo. He's turned it into Wide Receiver U.. He's the reason Tajh Boyd, Deshawn Watson and Trevor Lawrence came to Clemson.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
At what point do the ACC and SEC move to a 9 game conference schedule and join the Pac 12, Big 12 and Big Ten in doing this?

Unless we see USC pull an upset over Notre Dame, 2 Power 5 conference champions will be left out of the playoff this year.
And if Georgia can somehow beat Alabama, we'd likely see 3 power 5 conferences left out.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:32 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
And if Georgia can somehow beat Alabama, we'd likely see 3 power 5 conferences left out.
Unless Alabama were to lose to Auburn this week and then Georgia, there's no way Alabama does not get in as the #4 seed even if they lose to Georgia. We've seen teams not win their conference (Ohio State in 2016) and still make the playoffs.

EDIT: You're suggesting that if Georgia beats Alabama, they get in and also Bama, so the SEC would have two schools? If so, I am all for it and hope it causes a MSSIVE uproar and the NCAA does the right (and smart) thing and expands the playoffs to 8 teams that way all Power 5 conference champions get in at the very least.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan
5. Oklahoma
6. Washington State
7. UCF
8. LSU

That would make for a nice playoff.

Last edited by TAM88; 11-19-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,330,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
No, by that time Dabo will still be at Clemson having collected several more championships and Bama will be struggling with LAS (Life After Saban), lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, this is the pipe dream of Alabama. Not gonna happen. Anyone who takes over Alabama will get endless comparisons to Saban that they likely have no chance of living up to.

Dabo going from a program that he took from a rather generic top-20 program (on good years) to consistent challenger for a National Championship.. To a program that only has one direction to go.. Down.. Makes no sense.
Quote:
Clemson won a national title in 1981 and it was a top 10 program in the 80s.

I'm not sure why you think another coach could not be successful at Clemson.

I also don't see any reason for Dabo to leave Clemson for Alabama. Clemson is in a good recruiting area, has good facilities, pays well, etc.

There is a lot more to the story. Write it down, wait for Saban to retire and watch it happen. The only way it does not happen is if there are some messy circumstances.

I'm not saying another coach can't be successful at Clemson. I'm just saying when Dabo leaves, it will take a while to find another coach of that caliber. It happens everywhere. It even happened to Alabama and took a while to get the program straightened out and back on track.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Unless Alabama were to lose to Auburn this week and then Georgia, there's no way Alabama does not get in as the #4 seed even if they lose to Georgia. We've seen teams not win their conference (Ohio State in 2016) and still make the playoffs.

EDIT: You're suggesting that if Georgia beats Alabama, they get in and also Bama, so the SEC would have two schools? If so, I am all for it and hope it causes a MSSIVE uproar and the NCAA does the right (and smart) thing and expands the playoffs to 8 teams that way all Power 5 conference champions get in at the very least.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan
5. Oklahoma
6. Washington State
7. UCF
8. LSU

That would make for a nice playoff.
Yah I'm saying an Alabama win over Auburn and a Georgia win over Alabama gets both Georgia & Alabama into the playoff.

And that's what I wrote back in October; if you wanted to expedite a 6 team or even 8 team playoff all you really needed was for Notre Dame to win out (only thing standing in their way is a bad 5-6 USC team) and for 1 of 2 things to happen in the SEC
1) Alabama lose to LSU, have LSU, Alabama & Georgia win out after that week, and Alabama would've joined the LSU/Georgia SEC title game winner in the playoff or
2) Alabama beats LSU, finishes the regular season 12-0 and than loses to a 1 loss Georgia in the championship game Alabama would join them. So 3 of the 4 spots would come down to 2 teams from 1 conference (SEC) and an independent. The backlash from the rest of the power 5 conference commissioners would be so heavy that they'd have no choice but to add more teams. Add in the fact for a another potential UCF undefeated season with nothing to show for it again, and I think you'd see the expanded field as soon as NEXT year. At this rate I'd settle for the top 6 (5 power 5 champs and 1 Wildcard) but should be 8; five power 5 champions, 3 Wildcard with the exception that one of the 3 Wildcards automatically go to a non power 5 team if they are undefeated. I don't care if you play 3 games against the South Dakota School of mines, 3 games against the Kansas school for the blind, 3 games against the Colorado school for the deaf, and 3 games against the California school of agriculture 0 losses is 0 losses no matter who you are playing and you should be rewarded for it.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:52 PM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
I don't know. The justification for excluding PSU in 2016 was that they were a 2-loss team. The justification for leaving OSU out last year was that they were a 2-loss team. If Michigan wins out, I'm not sure how you justify leaving out a team with an identical record to Alabama that also happens to have a conference title.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
All right, here's the picks for Rivalry Week.

Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss
Houston vs. Memphis
Nebraska vs. Iowa
Virginia vs. Virginia Tech
(5) UCF vs. USF
(7) Oklahoma vs. (12) West Virginia
(16) Washington vs. (8) Washington State
Baylor vs. Texas Tech
(20) Florida vs. Florida State
Georgia Tech vs. (6) Georgia
Marshall vs. FIU
(4) Michigan vs. (9) Ohio State
Purdue vs. Indiana
(21) Syracuse vs. Boston College
Wake Forest vs. Duke
(25) Troy vs. Appalachian State
Stanford vs. UCLA
Arizona State vs. Arizona
Maryland vs. (19) Penn State
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Pittsburgh vs. Miami
Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt
Colorado vs. Cal
Kansas State vs. Iowa State
(11) LSU vs. Texas A&M
(2) Notre Dame vs. USC
BYU vs. (17) Utah
(10) Utah State vs. (13) Boise State
Hawaii vs. San Diego State

Pick Overall Record: 187-109
Pick Record Last Week: 16-9

Here are my picks.
Mississippi State vs. Ole Miss (I expect a win by the Bulldogs, but that'd be some MSU-type crap were they to lose this one. Shouldn't happen, though.)
Houston vs. Memphis (This was a guess.)
Nebraska vs. Iowa (Nebraska has gotten their act together some, albeit too late, and Iowa is weird...but i'll take the home team.)
Virginia vs. Virginia Tech (Not too confident, but this is the best shot UVA has at winning the Commonwealth Cup in some time. If they don't do it this year, then when?)
(5) UCF vs. USF (And to end the regular season, UCF will finish off USF's bad downslide.)
(7) Oklahoma vs. (12) West Virginia (I took a blind stab. I really have no idea who the hell will win this one. First to 70 wins? I don't know...)
(16) Washington vs. (8) Washington State (This is another pick i'm not too confident in, considering this rivalry's history, but i have a feeling this is the year Wazzu finally beats the Huskies.)
Baylor vs. Texas Tech (Both offenses looked horrible last week, and Kliff isn't so safe after all...i think Baylor just has the edge, though.)
(20) Florida vs. Florida State (I was a bit shaky with this one, but i'll pick the road team. Will say that the Gators are not catching Florida State at a good time though, considering the 36-year bowl streak is on the line. I do not expect a blowout in any way, shape or form.)
Georgia Tech vs. (6) Georgia (Yellow Jackets have been on a roll after a bad start to the year, but Georgia will dominate. Not like a 28 or 31 point type blowout, more like a 14-17 point win where Georgia is able to capitalize on their opportunities more and force a couple of turnovers. Tech will have their good moments this week, though.)
Marshall vs. FIU (I'll give it to the home team.)
(4) Michigan vs. (9) Ohio State (Whoever wins this game is most likely making the playoffs. Ohio State has only 1 loss, and has some unimpressive wins, but those wins will end up mattering in the end. Northwestern is a Jekyll and Hyde, yes, so...oh, well. I think Michigan has enough to finally get over the Ohio State hump, even in Columbus.)
Purdue vs. Indiana (Bowl eligibility spot on the line for both teams...i'll give the edge to Purdue.)
(21) Syracuse vs. Boston College (This was a guess.)
Wake Forest vs. Duke (Again, also a guess. ACC is bizarre to figure out for teams not named Clemson.)
(25) Troy vs. Appalachian State (Pretty under-rated matchup that sadly few people will see...i'll give it to Appalachian State by a touchdown.)
Stanford vs. UCLA (I'm sorry, i know UCLA's a bit better, but i can't take Stanford to lose to UCLA until it actually happens.)
Arizona State vs. Arizona (Kind of a difficult game to predict...i think the Wildcats accomplish bowl eligibility here, though. Won't be a blowout either.)
Maryland vs. (19) Penn State (My upset pick of the week. Penn State has looked really unimpressive the last few weeks, and Maryland was one good throw away from a big upset over Ohio State. Terrapins haven't let the ordeal with McNair and Durkin get to them too much, either. Matt Canada gets his first big win as head coach here.)
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin (I'll take the home team...another scenario in which i won't pick the team on a losing streak to an opponent until it's broken.)
Pittsburgh vs. Miami (Conference and division really doesn't make any sense, but with my guess - Pittsburgh gets their 8th win this week. Miami has been such a disappointing trainwreck on wheels, it's not even funny.)
Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt (Another bowl eligibility battle. I think the Volunteers get some revenge this year...Vanderbilt usually finds the most creative ways to lose you can think of.)
Colorado vs. Cal (Colorado is going to pull a 2009 Kansas...Golden Bears, even with some more questionable game results this year, are better. I doubt they're in Pac-12 contention next season, but i'd give them one win here.)
Kansas State vs. Iowa State (This is one exception i'll have with losing streaks...K-State isn't real good, and Iowa State's bound to beat them at some point. I believe this is the year.)
(11) LSU vs. Texas A&M (Potential upset that will come down to how effective LSU's defense will be, and how much offensive output the Tigers can put out. I think they'll do just enough, but expect this to be close. Also, no way in hell you can convince me LSU is better than Wazzu. Defense, maybe. But offense? No way in hell.)
(2) Notre Dame vs. USC (Trojans are in the toilet, Helton may be coming back next year after all, and Fighting Irish are riding high right now...yeah, this does not bode well for USC. Probably would be better if the home win streak hadn't died, but right now, no.)
BYU vs. (17) Utah (Another close matchup between these two, but once again, Utah will edge the Cougars out.)
(10) Utah State vs. (13) Boise State (Sounds crazy to take the road team on the Smurf Turf, but i'm doing it again. I feel like Colorado State was a wakeup call for the Aggies. Don't expect them to play around this week. Those of you who will be up late night are in for a shootout.)
Hawaii vs. San Diego State (What a rough season-long progression Hawaii has gone through. San Diego State is not that good, but i feel like they get a win here.)

Old 11-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Last week: 17-8
Overall: 195-102
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or