U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,805,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Those athletes never played at Clemson and it was boosters that paid them.
It's always the boosters that pay. SMU is a perfect example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I don't see how UCF gets in, even if they win and the other 3 lose. Assuming Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio State were all to lose, then I also will guess that Georgia gets in. That'd be interesting because they'd then have to play Alabama again.
I can't imagine a stranger scenario. But I guess it could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:29 PM

6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Week: 20-9
Overall: 215-111

Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 PM

6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Last week: 20-9
Overall: 215-111

(25) Buffalo vs. Northern Illinois. Great time to be a student at UB. Sure, the Bills stink, but football team AND basketball teams at the University of Buffalo are nationally ranked. I'd have to believe that's the first time that's happened in a while maybe ever?? Let the good times roll.
(15) Utah vs. (10) Washington. Rose bowl birth still in play for the Huskies who will salvage what has otherwise been a bad year.
Marshall vs. Virginia Tech. Since I have some losses to play with here at the end of the season let's pick the Herd to knock Virginia Tech out of a bowl game (who really shouldn't be celebrating a bowl bid at 6-6 when they started preseason top 20 but I digress). How funny would that be?? Marshall is not a bad team, and definitely won't roll over and play dead.
(7) Oklahoma vs. (11) Texas. Difficult to beat a team twice in 1 season, especially in a rivalry game as great as the Red River Showdown is, and even moreso when the team that lost the first game has for the most part dominated in recent meetings. Another thing swaying me towards Oklahoma is the Sooners being the last Big 12 playoff hopefully, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I will admit West Virginia was on the short end of some questionable calls last weekend, especially the blocking the player out of bounds. Yes, by the letter of the law that is a penalty, but how many times is that called, once a year at most?? And your going to call that in the 4th quarter of what is essentially a conference elimination game?? That's like pulling over someone on the highway going 66 in a 65 MPH zone. By the rules of the law, yes that is a fine, but how many times are you going to get pulled over for driving 1 MPH over the speed limit?? About the same way I feel about that blocking the player out of bounds play. And I have a feeling Texas could be on the short end of the sticks or flags as well. But with how bad the Sooners defense is, if Texas doesn't turn the ball over they could very well win the game. Even with those terrible calls, if Grier only has 1 turnover that game goes to overtime and who knows the outcome, and if Grier has 0 turnovers West Virginia wins the game anyways.
(24) Appalachian State vs. UL Lafayette. Mountaineers defense wins this.
Mid Tenn State vs. UAB. Will be quite a story for the Blazers. I think their defense wins this as well.
Stanford vs. Cal. Last weekend, there were really only 2 long streaks that ended: Florida ended a 5 or 6 year Seminoles run with a convincing win in Tallahassee, and the Gophers managed to sneak into a bowl game after destroying the awful Wisconsin Badgers in Madison, ending a 15 year I think losing streak?? What the hell happened to Wisconsin this year?? I think Stanford has won 9 or 10 straight in this series I'll get the exact number (8 straight only 2 by a single possession), and while Cal is definitely improved this year I'll still take the Tree's. Though who knows if a 5-6 team that gave up like 60 points to Nebraska in their first win of the year can break a 15 year losing streak with a road win, a 7-4 team can easily beat another 7-4 team at home so...we'll see. I'll take past history over recent performance it worked out pretty well for me last week
Memphis vs. (5) UCF. My upset of the week. The UCF backup probably isn't terrible, and UCF will play with a chip on their shoulders, but Milton was instrumental in their comeback from 14 down at the half at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis earlier in the season.
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Georgia. Maybe not 20 points, but Alabama wins.
Alcorn State vs. Southern. Pure guess here in the SWAC championship game?? Southern probably wins the battle of the bands though!
(8) Boise State vs. (13) Fresno State. I don't think it's on the smurf turf, but I'll take Boise again, but Fresno looking for revenge after losing that 4th quarter lead up there a couple Friday's ago.
(3) Clemson vs. Pittsburgh. Clemson is probably in the playoff regardless so I could see them potentially taking their foot off the gas in the 2nd half.
Northwestern vs. (4) Ohio State. After losing by 29 to Purdue and a potential 2 point conversion away from losing to Maryland, here the Buckeyes are right on the edge of the playoff. They need a lot of things to break right in front of them, and if my predictions above do come out to fruition, I think it will be all for naught.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:54 PM

7,234 posts, read 8,242,680 times
I would love it so much if Georgia could do us all a favor and beat Alabama tomorrow.

Unfortunately even if they did, the committee will still put Alabama in the playoffs, so we will all be stuck with having to hear "Roaaalll Tyy-ed Rooaaallll!".

Still though, go Georgia.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:13 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I would love it so much if Georgia could do us all a favor and beat Alabama tomorrow.

Unfortunately even if they did, the committee will still put Alabama in the playoffs, so we will all be stuck with having to hear "Roaaalll Tyy-ed Rooaaallll!".

Still though, go Georgia.
I'd like Georgia to win simply for the chaos it would cause. We'd be looking at the very real possibility of Alabama still getting in as the #4 seed and pushing out another Power 5 conference - so the Pac 12, Big Ten and Big 12 would all be shut out this year.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:22 AM

929 posts, read 297,399 times
Northwestern over Ohio State was a temptation as the upset of the weekend. May be closer than people think. My one hesitation is the difference in speed however given where the game is being played. Texas beating Oklahoma a second time is feasibly possible, and Georgia I think will give Bama a tight game, but not win. Clemson rolling over Pitt is the only one of the big games today I expect to be one-sided.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 12-01-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Over 83,000 came out for the Big 12 title game. Largest crowd for an FBS conference title game ever.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:55 PM

929 posts, read 297,399 times
Wow did Georgia ever let one get away! Much talk of the fake punt, but that short missed fg that would have put Georgia up three scores was a killer! "Unequivocally better" than Oklahoma or Ohio State? I think so, despite if you want to label it a "choke". But we'll see what the committee does, and of course Ohio State still has a game to play. Also, Central Florida might still stand the smallest of chances- rallying and then decisively winning with a back-up QB. Central Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio State: which has the least unwatchable defense?? And I guess Alabama isn't what many of us thought in terms of an all-time great team. Thought the defense was just lazy perhaps in games vs teams like Citadel; but it wasn't all that good again today.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 12-01-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 06:48 PM

At least for Ohio State they'll get to play in Pasadena. They're not making the playoffs.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:20 PM

579 posts, read 375,935 times
Jalen Hurts.
Exhibit A of why you stick it out because you never know when it's your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or