U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I singled out the Big 12 because I was replying to someone from Oklahoma that was doing the whining. lol Regardless, the Big 12 has basically 2, possibly 3 decent to good teams. The rest is weak and for the most part no better than the easy schools the SEC schedules. If they scheduled games with Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State and beat them by 30 and the third string played nearly the entire second half would everybody still complain? I really don't see what the difference is what team it is if everybody is playing crap teams whether they are in conference or not.

Some of the SEC teams schedule opening week kickoff games against notable teams from other conferences on neutral fields for their first game of the season and pretty much always win them. The first game of the season is a game that matters. Why does that always seem to be forgotten? For example, this year Auburn (who you state is a weak team) beat Washington in their first game. Washington is the best team in the PAC 12 and won their conference championship. The only other two games they lost were to PAC 12 teams and the games were extremely close. Auburn had a bad conference year and got waxed a few times by SEC conference opponents. So what does that tell us?
Washington traveled across the country to play essentially a road game. Atlanta is less than 2 hours from Auburn's campus and Washington could have (really they should have) won that game. It happens all the time in sports - teams will start out slow and then get hot, or the opposite. Auburn lost to a 5-7 Tennessee team at home no less. No one is discounting the first game of the season, of course it matters. Just that in college sports, the pre-season rankings can be way out of whack.

I still think the SEC and ACC need to move to a 9 game conference schedule. Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12 all do it. It means that every other year, a team in one of those 3 conferences is playing at least 5 true road games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,330,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Washington traveled across the country to play essentially a road game. Atlanta is less than 2 hours from Auburn's campus and Washington could have (really they should have) won that game. It happens all the time in sports - teams will start out slow and then get hot, or the opposite. Auburn lost to a 5-7 Tennessee team at home no less. No one is discounting the first game of the season, of course it matters. Just that in college sports, the pre-season rankings can be way out of whack.

I still think the SEC and ACC need to move to a 9 game conference schedule. Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12 all do it. It means that every other year, a team in one of those 3 conferences is playing at least 5 true road games.
Washington traveling across the country is just an excuse. Had they played in Dallas or Arizona the outcome would most likely still have been the same. They could have played at the end of the season and it still would have been a close game. Washington was just outmatched in talent but they have better coaching. That 5-7 Tennessee team came a long way and just so happens to have one of the best defensive coaches as a head coach now. Auburn is sort of a funny team. They tout themselves as an elite top tier team but their historical record says they are just above average to good. They are masters of pulling off a big upset and then laying an egg on what should be easier games the next two weeks. They have always been like that.

I agree with you on moving to a 9 game conference schedule. It won't make much difference though with the top teams. It would still make for a better season and one more game that would at least be somewhat interesting to watch rather than having the Louisiana Monroe, Citadel, etc type games that nobody watches. They can't even sell all the tickets to those games and a majority of the people that actually go are there because someone gave them the tickets.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,792,147 times
The Big 12* (10) touts the 9 game schedule because of their unique situation. When they actually had 12 teams, they didn't do it.

I lived in Big 12* (10) country for 10 years. They have this huge complex about being overlooked, but get more respect than the PAC-12.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The Big 12* (10) touts the 9 game schedule because of their unique situation. When they actually had 12 teams, they didn't do it.

I lived in Big 12* (10) country for 10 years. They have this huge complex about being overlooked, but get more respect than the PAC-12.
I don't believe that either the Big 12 or Pac-12 are being overlooked or get less respect.

If we're talking about the 2018 College Football Season (title of thread), they both received about as much airplay and attention as any of the other Power 5 Conferences. Oversight or respect usually come from outside sources... normally fans.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
Apologies for my lateness. Time for the Week 15 picks. Games this week.

Maine vs. Weber State
Colgate vs. North Dakota State
South Dakota State vs. Kennesaw State
Army vs. Navy
UC Davis vs. Eastern Washington

Pick Overall Record: 210-128
Pick Record Last Week: 7-6

My picks.
Maine vs. Weber State
Colgate vs. North Dakota State
South Dakota State vs. Kennesaw State
Army vs. Navy
UC Davis vs. Eastern Washington

Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Army vs Navy - Them Grunt-Dogies have been so much better on all sides of the ball over the last couple of years, and I believe this year will be no exception! Those Water Lilies and the leaky lifeboat they usually sail in on will sink quicker than the Titanic!

Old 12-09-2018, 03:21 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
There all FCS scores, haven’t seen any scores so if you don’t mind I’ll pick.
Weber. Tough to go cross country and win and that’s what Maine is facing.
North Dakota State. Yes, that Colgate team is very good, but the Bisons have the championship pedigree.
South Dakota State. No clue
Eastern Washington. Red turf game
Army. Picked earlier in the thread and that’s good because that’s the only score that I actually saw.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 PM

4-1 with the FCS quarterfinals and Army games.
228-116 on the season

I'll take North Dakota State & Mount Union on Friday. Both with championship pedigrees I think advance. NDSU being in the Thunderdome will help them, while MUU will have a tussle with Mary Hardin Baylor but I think they advance.
I'll take NC A&T & Eastern Washington on Saturday in the FCS games, no clue about either team. I wonder if Maine went back East to finish finals, or whether they stayed out West. Could have a big barring on whether they have a chance in this one. I'll get the other bowl games in later.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,683 times
All right, i decided to do these a day later than normal, as there's a bunch of games spread out through these next few weeks. Here's Part 1 of the bowls, and after i did dismal last week, even with the low amount of games, i hope to do better here.

Tulane vs. UL Lafayette
North Texas vs. (13) Utah State
(9) Fresno State vs. Arizona State
Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia Southern
(24) Appalachian State vs. Mid Tenn State
Northern Illinois vs. UAB
Ohio vs. San Diego State
USF vs. Marshall
FIU vs. Toledo
Western Michigan vs. BYU
Memphis vs. Wake Forest
Houston vs. (22) Army
Buffalo vs. Troy
Hawaii vs. Louisiana Tech

Pick Overall Record: 211-132
Pick Record Last Week: 1-4

Here are my picks.
Tulane vs. UL Lafayette
North Texas vs. (13) Utah State
(9) Fresno State vs. Arizona State
Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia Southern
(24) Appalachian State vs. Mid Tenn State
Northern Illinois vs. UAB
Ohio vs. San Diego State
USF vs. Marshall
FIU vs. Toledo
Western Michigan vs. BYU
Memphis vs. Wake Forest
Houston vs. (22) Army
Buffalo vs. Troy
Hawaii vs. Louisiana Tech

Old 12-15-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
4-1 with the FCS quarterfinals and Army games.
228-116 on the season

I'll take North Dakota State & Mount Union on Friday. Both with championship pedigrees I think advance. NDSU being in the Thunderdome will help them, while MUU will have a tussle with Mary Hardin Baylor but I think they advance.
I'll take NC A&T & Eastern Washington on Saturday in the FCS games, no clue about either team. I wonder if Maine went back East to finish finals, or whether they stayed out West. Could have a big barring on whether they have a chance in this one. I'll get the other bowl games in later.

Tulane vs. UL Lafayette. 2 Louisiana teams NOT playing in New Orleans.
North Texas vs. (13) Utah State. North Texas started like a house a fire, but then came crashing back to the pack, sad to see.
(9) Fresno State vs. Arizona State. Good first season for Herm in the desert, but I see the Bulldogs rolling in this one.
Eastern Michigan vs. Georgia Southern. Nice to see EMU in a bowl.
(24) Appalachian State vs. Mid Tenn State. I'll take the Mountaineers over the Raiders.
And for a bonus pick I will pick Valdosta State over Ferris State in the D2 Championship game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or