U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:13 AM
 
2,765 posts, read 3,334,191 times
Reputation: 5480

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have seen bad officiating by blind mice and zebras this season. Bad officiating was present in the Orange Bowl game. Alabama going out of bounds should not count as a touchdown. Alabama displaying unsportsmanlike conduct on an Oklahoma scoring drive should not count as penalties on Oklahoma.

Referees and ESPN are on Alabama's payroll.

That is complete BS or a biased statement. I have watched the game twice now and the officiating was equally bad both ways. Watch it again and you will see all the holds, face masks and pass interference that both sides got away with. I wish they would change the pass interference penalty to something similar to the NFL penalty where it is the spot of the foul plus 15 yards or so. You would quickly see all the grabbing and tripping on long passes stop. It has gotten to the point where it is ridiculous with all the pass interference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Kyler Murray didn't give up 28 points in the first half. OU came within striking distance in the 4th quarter, narrowing the lead to 11, but Bama continued to score. Murray threw for 300+ yards with 2 TDs and ran for 100+. I don't really think you can lay the loss at his feet alone. Bama was simply a better team.

What actually happened is Alabama completely waxed Oklahoma in the first quarter and had the game won. It was clear at that point Oklahoma was not even close to being in the same league. Alabama coaches knew that and turned the scoring offense off and switched to power run and working the clock. This resulted in a couple of things that pretty much always happen when you do that and you see it in SEC games all the time. Going power run and eating clock gives the other team time to collect themselves and clear their minds. It also gives their coaches time to change their strategy and plan out a set of play calls for the next series. The team that goes power run also typically quits scoring because they are completely out of their normal offensive schemes. It also disrupts their defensive scheming because the other team has time to change their offense as I already mentioned. This is the difference between the Big 12 and the SEC. You see the exact same thing happen in basketball quite often.



So basically, Alabama had the game in hand and was just running the clock out after the first quarter. If they had wanted to they could have stayed in their offense and most likely put 42 to 49 points on the board by halftime and if they wanted to play Big 12 style ball they could have probably put over 70 on the board on Oklahoma. They didn't though because that just isn't what they do. People from other conferences sometimes lose sight of the fact that it only takes one point more that the other team to win the game and you get the exact same W in the win column whether you win by 1 point or 50.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Thank God UCF lost.. I did not want to hear that for another year.. Even though, yeah, they barely lost, had a backup QB and somehow put 32 points on the board on 250 yards in 15 minutes Time of Possession.

Yeah I think everybody was tired of hearing UCF and their fake championship. You have to give it to them though, they are pretty good, especially for not being a big program or in a big conference. Their backup quarterback is pretty good, especially considering he all of the sudden found himself in the starting position after Milton's injury. Everyone does need to keep in mind that LSU was also missing about half of their primary defensive players. Even if UCF would have had Milton at quarterback and LSU would have had all their defense, it is pretty obvious the outcome would have been the same. LSU dominated UCF's offensive line and would have been in Milton's face the entire game too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
SF is too expensive of a market for fans to attend, especially on late notice.

You nailed it. It is the cost of attending the game that is causing the drop in ticket prices and difficulty selling them. We could have gotten tickets but after I priced out the Airline tickets, hotel room, game tickets, transportation costs, and meals it would have cost the two of us somewhere in the $4000 to $5000 range. Like most people, I don't want to see the game in person anywhere near that much. They put the game in Santa Clara where hotels are high and they knew that in all likelyhood the two teams that would make it to the championship would be from somewhere in the Eastern half of the country. It doesn't make much sense and they probably are learning a lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2019, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,542 posts, read 4,492,339 times
Reputation: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If I were a coach, I'd begin every season by telling my players what crap they're not allowed to say or tweet.

Georgia is likely a better team on paper, but they were way too arrogant for their own good and rightfully were pantsed by Texas. I hate Alabama almost as much as I hate ISIS and Nazis, but you have to give Saban his props. He doesn't put up with that nonsense out of his players.
UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriema used to have a "no social media during the season rule." Meaning, players were allowed to use social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc) up until the day of the first practice of the year, and weren't allowed to touch it again until their season ended. I'm not sure if that's still in place, and that maybe going a little too far, but that's the direction schools should be going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 AM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
What actually happened is Alabama completely waxed Oklahoma in the first quarter and had the game won. It was clear at that point Oklahoma was not even close to being in the same league. Alabama coaches knew that and turned the scoring offense off and switched to power run and working the clock. This resulted in a couple of things that pretty much always happen when you do that and you see it in SEC games all the time. Going power run and eating clock gives the other team time to collect themselves and clear their minds. It also gives their coaches time to change their strategy and plan out a set of play calls for the next series. The team that goes power run also typically quits scoring because they are completely out of their normal offensive schemes. It also disrupts their defensive scheming because the other team has time to change their offense as I already mentioned. This is the difference between the Big 12 and the SEC. You see the exact same thing happen in basketball quite often.



So basically, Alabama had the game in hand and was just running the clock out after the first quarter. If they had wanted to they could have stayed in their offense and most likely put 42 to 49 points on the board by halftime and if they wanted to play Big 12 style ball they could have probably put over 70 on the board on Oklahoma. They didn't though because that just isn't what they do. People from other conferences sometimes lose sight of the fact that it only takes one point more that the other team to win the game and you get the exact same W in the win column whether you win by 1 point or 50.


I disagree with you on pieces of this.. The notion that bama could score at will.. You know, in the second half, that didn't seem true. OU's defense, such as it is.. Actually played halfway decent. I think the offense went through playoff jitters.

9 times out of 10, yes Alabama will win that game. They do have more talent, certainly on defense. But the way you're saying that Alabama was miles ahead of them.. I take a bit of issue with that. I don't think OU is that far off. A year of experience.. A better defense, certainly.. And they'd have a shot.

There's certainly a gap there. But it's not an insurmountable gap. Not that you were saying it was.. OU actually impressed me.. I thought the game would wind up being something like 77-21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,382 posts, read 8,373,886 times
Reputation: 6983
I think you are correct.
OU is not on the same level with Bama. We’ll see if Clemson is Monday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 AM
 
2,765 posts, read 3,334,191 times
Reputation: 5480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I disagree with you on pieces of this.. The notion that bama could score at will.. You know, in the second half, that didn't seem true. OU's defense, such as it is.. Actually played halfway decent. I think the offense went through playoff jitters.

9 times out of 10, yes Alabama will win that game. They do have more talent, certainly on defense. But the way you're saying that Alabama was miles ahead of them.. I take a bit of issue with that. I don't think OU is that far off. A year of experience.. A better defense, certainly.. And they'd have a shot.

There's certainly a gap there. But it's not an insurmountable gap. Not that you were saying it was.. OU actually impressed me.. I thought the game would wind up being something like 77-21.

What I saw and most all sports analysts that I have read and watched seem to have the same view I have is Alabama went to pure SEC run heavy to work the clock once they had a big lead after completely dominating Oklahoma in the first quarter. The game was essentially over and all that was left to do was run the clock out. Alabama closing the playbook for a while gave the illusion that Oklahoma's defense was shutting them down. However, once Oklahoma scored a few times, Alabama would turn their regular offense back on and start calling more passing plays and score every singe time they needed a score. If Alabama played Big 12 style football and just ran a wide open offense entire games, the score very most likely would have been something like 77 to 35 give or take. I think pretty much everyone agrees Alabama could have beaten Oklahoma at their own game had they wanted to play that style but that just isn't how SEC teams play or at least the good ones. As they say, Defense wins championships and most of the time it is by slowing the other teams scoring down and eating the clock up.

Last edited by dijkstra; 01-04-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
What actually happened is Alabama completely waxed Oklahoma in the first quarter and had the game won. It was clear at that point Oklahoma was not even close to being in the same league. Alabama coaches knew that and turned the scoring offense off and switched to power run and working the clock. This resulted in a couple of things that pretty much always happen when you do that and you see it in SEC games all the time. Going power run and eating clock gives the other team time to collect themselves and clear their minds. It also gives their coaches time to change their strategy and plan out a set of play calls for the next series. The team that goes power run also typically quits scoring because they are completely out of their normal offensive schemes. It also disrupts their defensive scheming because the other team has time to change their offense as I already mentioned. This is the difference between the Big 12 and the SEC. You see the exact same thing happen in basketball quite often.
What does this have to do with Murray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Murray did not score 28 points in the first half either. He waited too long to get with the program.
If I recall correctly, Clemson went down 0-14 to the Tide a couple of years ago when they had Deshaun Watson. The difference was Watson had a defense that could get stops and get the ball back into his hands.

Clemson vs. Alabama - Play-By-Play - January 9, 2017 - ESPN

Do you seriously think that Clemson would have not been 3 scores in the hole if they had OU's defense that game? And we're talking about a Tua-less Bama team here. I guess the only conclusion to draw is that Watson wasn't that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Around and about
578 posts, read 374,407 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does this have to do with Murray?



The idea was park the bus once a lead was built, run the ball, burn the clock and turn Murray into a spectator on the bench.


Army did quite the same thing earlier in the season with a ground oriented offense.
I believe the Army game was Oklahoma's lowest point total this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 AM
 
2,765 posts, read 3,334,191 times
Reputation: 5480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does this have to do with Murray?
I don't know that I understand what you are asking. I assume you are asking how Alabama switching to power run to work the clock has anything to do with Murray. If that is the question then the answer is quite simple and it is standard game play in the SEC. The team gets a big league by dominating early, they then switch the offense from being scoring focused to being eat time off the clock focused. You stop throwing the ball much unless you need to to get a first down. You run the ball, keep it in bounds and keep the clock running continuously and use almost every second of the play clock between plays. This keeps their offense and in this case Murray, watching from the sidelines and makes it close to mathematically impossible for the other team to score enough to beat you. That is exactly what Alabama did to Oklahoma. Sure Murray made some plays when he was on the field but once they got within two scores, Alabama would just open their offense back up and answer each of their scores to keep the two score lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
The idea was park the bus once a lead was built, run the ball, burn the clock and turn Murray into a spectator on the bench.


Army did quite the same thing earlier in the season with a ground oriented offense.
I believe the Army game was Oklahoma's lowest point total this season.
Exactly. It is really just simple math at play. Get a lead, calculate how much time you need to burn with each possession to make it impossible for them to come back and beat you unless you defeat yourself with turnovers or stupid penalties. If the math looks good, you go to the running game and burn clock. You could see the look on Murray's face at the end of the first quarter. He had done the math and knew it was going to be almost impossible to outscore Alabama at that point. That is what happens to these teams that have the so called "air raid" high scoring offenses but don't have the defense to stop another team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I think you are correct.
OU is not on the same level with Bama. We’ll see if Clemson is Monday night.
I expect the Alabama/Clemson game to be a battle to the end. Both have very good defenses and both can throw and run the ball. It may come down to turnovers and penalties. The team that makes the least mistakes will probably win this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't know that I understand what you are asking.
Follow the thread history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kyler Murray failed. He held onto the football too long, ran into brick walls, and failed to produce points to win a game. Oklahoma needs a better quarterback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Kyler Murray didn't give up 28 points in the first half. OU came within striking distance in the 4th quarter, narrowing the lead to 11, but Bama continued to score. Murray threw for 300+ yards with 2 TDs and ran for 100+. I don't really think you can lay the loss at his feet alone. Bama was simply a better team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
What actually happened is Alabama completely waxed Oklahoma in the first quarter and had the game won. It was clear at that point Oklahoma was not even close to being in the same league. Alabama coaches knew that and turned the scoring offense off and switched to power run and working the clock. This resulted in a couple of things that pretty much always happen when you do that and you see it in SEC games all the time. Going power run and eating clock gives the other team time to collect themselves and clear their minds. It also gives their coaches time to change their strategy and plan out a set of play calls for the next series. The team that goes power run also typically quits scoring because they are completely out of their normal offensive schemes. It also disrupts their defensive scheming because the other team has time to change their offense as I already mentioned. This is the difference between the Big 12 and the SEC. You see the exact same thing happen in basketball quite often.
Your post was in response to my post above. What did that have to do with the earlier discussion about Kyler Murray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top