U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 PM

28,255 posts, read 26,226,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Gamecock fans around here are somewhat torn, but most are happy that Clemson won.. First, it's in state, so even if it's your rivals, at least it's in state.. And second, they beat Alabama, who is also in the SEC and generally beats Carolina when they play.
I said they are tired of Clemson. I'm sure there's nothing more they'd love than to see your program come crashing down the same way it did for FSU, Miami, USC, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, etc.

Quote:
But, quitting Clemson to go to Alabama to follow Saban? No, don't see that. Why leave a program that you built for a program that you're expected to carry on? There's nothing to gain and everything to lose in that situation.
Alabama will probably go right back to where it was during the Dubose/Franchione/Shula era. Nothing lasts forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 02:56 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,793,602 times
Quote:
Gamecock fans around here are somewhat torn, but most are happy that Clemson won.. First, it's in state, so even if it's your rivals, at least it's in state.. And second, they beat Alabama, who is also in the SEC and generally beats Carolina when they play.
Not one single Gamecock fan I know was cheering for Clemson. If you look at the thread on the South Carolina board, the majority that posted there weren't pulling for Clemson.

I'm not sure how anyone can completely dismiss the idea of Dabo going back to his alma mater?

Old 01-09-2019, 03:12 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Makes no sense. For Dabo to leave Clemson for Alabama.. Now.. I think the "Never say Never" part is that he gets burned out in 5 to 10 years and 'retires' for a while, then Alabama comes calling.

But, quitting Clemson to go to Alabama to follow Saban? No, don't see that. Why leave a program that you built for a program that you're expected to carry on? There's nothing to gain and everything to lose in that situation.
I just think it's human nature to want a "change in scenery", plus having ties to a state/school is important to some people. I don't see too many Joe Paterno's in college football nowadays, that will spend 20, 30, 40+ years as a head coach in one place.

I'm sure people remember Saban when he coached at LSU, but what about his 5 years at Michigan State, being a Penn State/BigTen fan, I do. If Dabo didn't graduate from Alabama, not once but twice and didn't grow up in the state, then we probably wouldn't be having this conversion, because I don't think he would leave Clemson for that opening when it becomes available.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,331,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said they are tired of Clemson. I'm sure there's nothing more they'd love than to see your program come crashing down the same way it did for FSU, Miami, USC, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, etc.

Alabama will probably go right back to where it was during the Dubose/Franchione/Shula era. Nothing lasts forever.

You are right nothing lasts forever, especially something like what they have done the last 10 years. However, at some point there will be a time where they go through a few coaches trying to find the right one and then they will be back yet again. Alabama has historically been one of the elite programs and always finds its way back to the top after coaching changes. It doesn't hurt that they have the money to throw around to pull in the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Not one single Gamecock fan I know was cheering for Clemson. If you look at the thread on the South Carolina board, the majority that posted there weren't pulling for Clemson.

I'm not sure how anyone can completely dismiss the idea of Dabo going back to his alma mater?

Alabama fans aren't sitting around crying. It seems like a lot of posters thinks everyone is all upset. Everyone realizes you can't win it every single year. Winning it so many times in the last 10 years is miraculous and is unprecedented. Most all Alabama fans like Dabo and if Alabama can't win, guess who their second choice is to win it. Like Dabo said in a post game interview, we can share. lol

It sort of surprises me how some people (mostly from outside the SEC), seem to think there is no way Dabo would go to Alabama after Saban retires. It is his home, it is his Alma Mater, he has roots in Alabama, hell he built a home there a few years ago for crying out loud. What coach wouldn't want to come home and be the head coach at their Alma Mater where they themselves won a championship as a player and hopefully win one as the head coach and have a broze statue of themselves at the front entrance of the stadium that will be there as long as there is Alabama football? It is almost comical that people think it wouldn't happen.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
If it does come to pass, then Clemson will return to swimming in a sea of mediocrity but the team that will suffer most will be Auburn since Dabo's teams have shown a propensity for defeating them.
I'm not sure why you think Clemson could not get other good coaches. It is in a good recruiting area, it has good facilities, warm weather, and now is tied for the 3rd most national titles since 1981.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It is almost comical that people think it wouldn't happen.
Because CLemson gave him the opportunity of a lifetime when he had no OC, DC or head coach work experience.

Plus why would he want to move to Tuscaloosa when he lives next to a lake in the Blue Ridge.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 PM

9,425 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:

So, let's say you're the janitor at your dad's company, and then your dad retires and the new management fires you. You go to a new, small company that hires you as the janitor, then they took you into the boardroom one day and said "You're our new CEO".. You, the former janitor, took the company out of bankruptcy and turned it into a billion dollar corporation in your image, with your vision. You've got more money, prestige and all the power you could want.

You're going to quit there to go manage the billion dollar corporation that fired you just because your dad built the company? Where any hiccup will have the board calling for your head on a platter?

Not impossible. Just very, very unlikely.

Now.. Again.. Should Dabo 'retire'.. Alabama moves on from Saban and someone else comes in.. Then they call Dabo.. There's a shot there.

Direct hire after Saban, luring him away? Don't see it. They'll try. No question.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 PM

447 posts, read 471,537 times
Quote:
What is funnier to me is the rabid insistence (“write it down”, “come home to Mama”, etc.) from Bama fans that it’s a done deal. This reached a fever pitch after we beat the Tide two years ago and it’s cranking up again now. Hey - I get it, anything can happen. But there are not many Bama folks who really “get it” when it comes to the culture that Dabo has built at Clemson, something he truly values and would be virtually impossible to recreate at The University of Alabama.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:07 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,793,602 times
Quote:
Not impossible. Just very, very unlikely.

Now.. Again.. Should Dabo 'retire'.. Alabama moves on from Saban and someone else comes in.. Then they call Dabo.. There's a shot there.

Direct hire after Saban, luring him away? Don't see it. They'll try. No question.
I'm not saying it will happen, just telling those who say it won't that it's not impossible. Hell, Dabo said himself to never say never.

Clemson fans really love their school and campus. I understand. It's a good school and a beautiful campus. But to deny that Dabo would not want to ever go home again is just silly.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,331,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Because CLemson gave him the opportunity of a lifetime when he had no OC, DC or head coach work experience.

Plus why would he want to move to Tuscaloosa when he lives next to a lake in the Blue Ridge.
Did you know he owns more than one house next to a lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or