U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,336,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
In my view, the ACC was much better in the Tommy Bowden era.
Agreed. If I had to rank the Power 5 in order of competitiveness and good/great teams today, it would be:

1. SEC
2. Tie with Big 10 and Big 12
4. ACC
5. Pac-12

And I realize these things are somewhat cyclical, although I don't really ever see the SEC not being 1 or 2.

The ACC recently, is basically Clemson and everybody else, now that Florida State and Virginia Tech have become, for the most part, irrelevant. Sure you might have a "hot" dark horse team in the ACC every year or so, like Syracuse in 2018, Miami in 2017, and North Carolina in 2015, but the consistently competitive teams year in and year out in the ACC are few and far between now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
I don't think the SEC is very good right now. That wasn't my point. I think these Dabo Clemson teams with Watson and Lawrence would have won the ACC in the Tommy Bowden era too.

I don't see any reason to say FSU and Va Tech are irrelevant because of a bad season. If FSU can fix the O line issue they probably will be a top 10 team next year.

ACC is one of only two conferences to never miss the playoff. So I don't see how anybody can claim Big 10 and Big 12 are better. FSU and Clemson beat SEC teams to win 3 recent titles.

Which teams in the SEC would have beat Clemson this year.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-12-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
ACC is one of only two conferences to never miss the playoff. So I don't see how anybody can claim Big 10 and Big 12 are better. FSU and Clemson beat SEC teams to win 3 recent titles.
That wasn't my point, I was talking about the conferences overall. There are more competitive teams in the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12, as compared to the ACC. And I'm not talking about bowl records. Who from the SEC could beat Clemson this year, maybe no one, but you just proved my point, the ACC, right now, IS CLEMSON, and nobody else!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Let's say you pick Clemson, Syracuse and pick another ACC team this year, NC State. Those three were more competitive than Alabama, Georgia and Florida or Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State or Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Let's say you pick Clemson, Syracuse and pick another ACC team this year, NC State. Those three were more competitive than Alabama, Georgia and Florida or Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State or Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia?
Florida's QB looked horrible to me. I would take NCSU, SYracuse, Duke, Wake's (especially Newman who started after the other guy got hurt), Francois, and other ACC QBs over him.

Georgia was overrated...got blown out by LSU. Last year they were blown out by Auburn. Great teams don't get blown out. They might lose but they going to stay in the game. Tau's stats against UGA were horrible but Alabama still won. A great team would have beat Alabama easily if their defense held Tau to those stats.

Penn State was overrated this year. Michigan was overrated...blown out twice to end the season. Texas lost to Maryland.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-12-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Florida's QB looked horrible to me. I would take NCSU, SYracuse, Duke, Wake's (especially Newman who started after the other guy got hurt), Francois, and other ACC QBs over him.

Georgia was overrated...got blown out by LSU. Last year they were blown out by Auburn. Great teams don't get blown out. They might lose but they going to stay in the game. Tau's stats against UGA were horrible but Alabama still won. A great team would have beat Alabama easily if their defense held Tau to those stats.

Penn State was overrated this year. Michigan was overrated...blown out twice to end the season. Texas lost to Maryland.
I am not asking to pick who has the best QB's, I'm talking about overall teams and leagues as a whole. I just looked up various conference rankings at the end of the year, and both CBS Sports and ESPN had the ACC behind the Pac-12 in 5th, at least I had the ACC in 4th in my rankings!

Power 5 conference power rankings

1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big 12
4. Pac-12
5. ACC

2018 College Football Conference Power Rankings: SEC back on top, but where does the Big Ten land?

1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big 12
4. Pac-12
5. ACC

At least the Bleacher Report had rankings similar to mine.

Ranking Every FBS Conference After the 2018-19 Season

Regarding the ACC, they wrote:

The league has its poster children in Swinney's Tigers, and there are some nice stories, but there wasn't enough pizzazz to sniff the top three.

1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big 12
4. ACC
5. Pac-12

Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I am not asking to pick who has the best QB's, I'm talking about overall teams and leagues as a whole. I just looked up various conference rankings at the end of the year, and both CBS Sports and ESPN had the ACC behind the Pac-12 in 5th, at least I had the ACC in 4th in my rankings!

Power 5 conference power rankings

1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big 12
4. Pac-12
5. ACC

2018 College Football Conference Power Rankings: SEC back on top, but where does the Big Ten land?

1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big 12
4. Pac-12
5. ACC

At least the Bleacher Report had rankings similar to mine.

Ranking Every FBS Conference After the 2018-19 Season

Regarding the ACC, they wrote:

The league has its poster children in Swinney's Tigers, and there are some nice stories, but there wasn't enough pizzazz to sniff the top three.

1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big 12
4. ACC
5. Pac-12
I have watched a lot of football the past 22 years. I don't think the SEC teams were that good this year.

I think all of the conferences were down this year.

You can't prove your assertions because the teams don't play teams in other conferences enough.

In my view if SEC was so mcuh better as you believe, Clemson would lose more to SEC teams. It has won 5 in a row against SC, 4 in a row against Auburn, 2-2 against Alabama, and a win each over Tenn, LSU, Kentucky and UGA the past 15 years or so.

You made Florida out as an incredibliy good team but they lost at home to Kentucky this year. A good Florida team is never going to lose to Kentucky.

Tenn lost to Vanderbilt again. Did you know that Tenn has lost 5 out of 7 to Vanderbilt and 4 of those losses, Tenn gave up 38 or more points.

The SEC is a shell of what it used to be so it is weird to see people get on here and make it out as incredible. It gets hyped up every season because it has several colleges that won natties in the past but that doesn't have anything to do with the current season.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-12-2019 at 04:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The SEC is a shell of what it used to be so it is weird to see people get on here and make it out as incredible. It gets hyped up every season because it has several colleges that won natties in the past but that doesn't have anything to do with the current season.
Funny thing is, I'm a Big Ten fan, grew up going to Penn State games since I was 5-years-old (Mom's an alumni), which was over 37 years ago, back when they were an independent, but I live in SEC and ACC country now. I've probably been to 40-45 Penn State home games throughout my life and bleed blue and white, at least in football.

You keep bringing up Clemson, and I agree Clemson is truly amazing and a "Juggernaut" over pretty much everybody over the last 4+ years, regardless of conference. But that's the thing, the ACC is them and nobody else. I would love to see other ACC teams make it to the playoff, besides or in addition to Clemson and/or go to other New Year's Day 6 bowl games and compete at a high level.

People I follow that cover the ACC for a living, even said this year, it was Clemson and that's it.

OK, replace Florida with LSU or Kentucky or Texas A&M, I still think, as a whole, the SEC is probably the best conference out there and IT PAINS ME TO SAY THAT!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM

That makes no sense given Miami would have been in the playoffs last year if it had beat Clemson in the playoffs, and UNC had a shot at playoffs 3 years ago if it had beat Clemson in the playoffs.

If the SEC was as good as you claim, Alabama would lose more often in it. ALabama 8 wins in a row over LSU, 15 wins in a row over Tenn, etc. That indicates it isn't a very competitive conference.

IT was only a few years ago when people like you were saying ACC was a one team conference with FSU. You really believe FSU won't have a good team again? Miami, Virgnia Tech? Louisville?

FSU is 7-2 against Florida the past 9 years.

Just two years ago, the season that Clemson won the title with Watson, FSU finished ranked. no. 8 in the country. They beat Michigan in a bowl game, and beat Ole Miss and Florida during the season. Clemson won at FSU that year in one of the best games ever in football.

These Clemson teams have played Lville teams with Lamar Jackson at QB who won the Heisman but that is a cupcake in your view.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-12-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
If the SEC was as good as you claim, Alabama would lose more often in it. ALabama 8 wins in a row over LSU, 15 wins in a row over Tenn, etc. That indicates it isn't a very competitive conference.
Not necessarily, you can have a competitive conference with a team like Alabama that keeps winning year in and year out, the 1b, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best team in the conference helps make the conference better as a whole. This year, Syracuse reminded me a lot like this year's Kentucky, both not picked to do great, and both exceeded their expectations. Now that's see both of them do the same or similar next year.

Who do you think is the 2nd best team in the SEC this year Georgia, LSU, who do you think is the 2nd best team in the ACC this year Syracuse, NC State? Let's see them play each other in a regular season game and not a meaningless bowl game and I would think the SEC team will probably win 8 out of 10 times over the ACC team.

Is Clemson the best team in college football this year, yes, does that mean the ACC is the best conference or at least better than the SEC, no.

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or