U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,333,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't see that unless teams from one of the conferences won the ROY title almost every year.
The same ones would be complaining in a couple of years. The ACC and Big 10 would be dominate for the most part and the same Big 12 and Pac 12 people would start the bitching again. It would be the ACC only has a couple of teams that are good and the rest of their games are easy and the Big 10 is cheating or some other nonsense. The reason you don't hear much of that right now is because Alabama has been so dominate the last 10 years and you keep seeing other SEC teams in the playoffs and championship game so everyone's attention is on them. When you are at the top, everyone wants to see you fall. Just wait, they will turn on Clemson soon if they keep making it to the playoffs and winning a championship every other year or so. Somehow they will find a way to complain that both Alabama and Clemson have it stacked so they can make it in every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
Only 1 other SEC team has made the playoffs, UGA. That was 1 year. UGA was playing in Belk bowls a few years ago.

Clemson plays two SEC teams or a SEC team and ND almost every year. I don't think most programs can claim to play an OOC schedule as tough as that. This year, Alabama played Louisville, a 2 win team on a neutral field, and Colorado state, a losing record team.

Clemson was the only team to win at Texas AM this year and that was early in the season when there was no film on Texas AM under Jimbo. How many SEC teams are on the road the second week in the season playing a P5 team with a crazy big stadium. In my view, Texas AM was the 2nd best team in the SEC this year.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Overall, this year.. Take all the teams and add them up.. SEC is superior. And, I say that as a Clemson fan. Not by a massive amount, but.. Their teams were stronger overall.

Over the past decade.. It's actually pretty close. SEC probably still up.. But.. Whole lot closer than it used to be.

ACC just didn't have a good "Second Place" team this year. Syracuse is as close as it gets.. Unless you want to count ND.
If SEC is superior, which SEC teams are a lock to go undefeated against Clemson's schedule this year. I would say only Alabama. UGA was solid but they reminded me of the Charlie Whitehurst teams at Clemson, good but not great.

Both UGA and Alabama got thumped in bowl season. UGA was also blown out by LSU.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Only 1 other SEC team has made the playoffs, UGA. That was 1 year. UGA was playing in Belk bowls a few years ago.

Clemson plays two SEC teams or a SEC team and ND almost every year. I don't think most programs can claim to play an OOC schedule as tough as that. This year, Alabama played Louisville, a 2 win team on a neutral field, and Colorado state, a losing record team.

Clemson was the only team to win at Texas AM this year and that was early in the season when there was no film on Texas AM under Jimbo. How many SEC teams are on the road the second week in the season playing a P5 team with a crazy big stadium. In my view, Texas AM was the 2nd best team in the SEC this year.

See this is what I am saying. It is a perfect example. We are talking about what would happen if the SEC was in it's own division and the rest had their own playoff and we are right back to the complaining about who the SEC plays. lol

Alabama schedules those games years in advance and Louisville was kicking it pretty good when that game was scheduled. It looked like Petrino was going to have Louisville in the mix every year. How can Alabama predict the wheels were going to come off the bus? You can't watch to see who makes the playoffs each year and then try to schedule them for a game 8 months out. Just wait, you may have not looked at Alabama's schedule for this upcoming season yet. It is a pretty soft schedule. It isn't their fault because the SEC sets the rotation for cross division games and you just end up with who is your turn each year.

Be careful about touting how great your team is at the end of the season. Alabama fans get worn slap out after losing the national championship game when they lose it even though unlike 120 something other teams, they actually made it to the championship game. They have been in the championship game the past 4 years in a row but people are acting like they have crashed and are falling apart because Clemson beat them this year. Clemson is the next closest having made it 3 of the last 4 years so their day is coming when everyone will pile on them with all the bashing. People love to hate. You cannot expect to win the championship every year. It is almost impossible to repeat and it is almost unbelievable that both Clemson and Alabama keep making it happen.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:19 PM

I'm not complaining about anything. I'm responding to the argument that the ACC is 'easy'. It is composed of 14 major universities on the east coast that all recruit good players out of high schools.

I'm not beating up on Alabama for scheduling Lville. The point is they didn't play a tougher schedule than any other P5 team this year.

People have been hating on Clemson forever. That's nothing new. I don't care about that. People used to mock Clemson when it lost before it won titles the past two years....that is what the word Clemsoning is all about.

I watch Clemson sports for entertainment and because I went to Clemson. I have no problem with non Clemson fans hating Clemson.

I don't expect Clemson or any team to win the title every year and I expect there to be more variety of teams in the playoffs in the future.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-14-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 07:24 AM

Sorry, I guess I just misunderstood your post. We read so much Bama and SEC hating, it is hard not to have a hair trigger and go off. lol Clemson fans will understand soon. It used to be USC that everybody hated on but the Reggie Bush thing pretty much ruined their program and they have struggled to recover since. I can remember everyone going on and on about USC didn't play anybody, their schedule is easy, they schedule weak opponents, etc....basically the exact same thing they say about Alabama now. You could go back and copy and paste articles, and public comments from back then and edit out USC and put Alabama in it's place and you would never know it was actually written years ago about a different team.

I had forgotten about he "Clemsoning" thing. Man that ticked Dabo off didn't it? I happened to be watching the new conference when he went off on a reporter for saying it. That very moment, that one tirade by Dabo, is when Clemson went to the next level. At that moment, everyone believed and bought in to his program and they have been stellar ever since. It is one of those moments that you know will show up in documentaries about the program years from now.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 AM

447 posts, read 471,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Let's just say, wait and watch it happen. Barring any unforeseen craziness that would prevent it from happening, Dabo will be going home when momma calls.
You were saying?

Swinney gets biggest deal in college football

Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Bryan Bresee committed to Clemson. I was hoping Penn State would nab him. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or