U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 09:41 PM

5,460 posts, read 2,298,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I called that one. Closer than I expected.. I was expecting a 6 to 7 point Clemson win, but.. I didn't believe the 12 1/2 point spread.

Now.. A&M will be a better team after this most likely.. But.. I'm not proclaiming them as a great team just yet.. That golden horseshoe will come clanging out of Mond's butt sooner or later. He made a number of throws that should never have been made, much less completed. That isn't going to happen every game.

Yep. But Jimbo sure left the cupboard bare at FSU. Samford University is leading them in the third quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:47 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yep. But Jimbo sure left the cupboard bare at FSU. Samford University is leading them in the third quarter.

I think he saw how bare it was, which is part of the reason he left.

and Louisville.. What the hell.. I was giving them some props for, in a small way at least, giving Alabama some fits on the passing game. They're struggling against Indiana State, though looking like they're about to take the lead late in the 3rd.. And they just did.

What about North Carolina? destroyed by EC-Effing-U

Old 09-09-2018, 05:34 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,054,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Once again, Notre Dame shows how overrated they are, getting pushed by BALL STATE in the fourth quarter.
Agreed, they are always overrated, and people think they're a great football program. Had to keep their starters in the entire game against Ball State! They're going to get some awful losses later this year.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:09 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,402 times
11-11 on picks this week. Not my best performance, and blew it on Georgia-SCar. Anyway, here's my Top 25 for next week.

#1: Alabama (2-0)
#2: Georgia (2-0) +1
#3: Ohio State (2-0) -1
#4: Clemson (2-0)
#5: Wisconsin (2-0)
#6: Auburn (2-0)
#7: Oklahoma (2-0)
#8: West Virginia (2-0) +1
#9: Virginia Tech (2-0) +1
#10: Notre Dame (2-0) -2
#11: Stanford (2-0) +2
#12: Washington (1-1) -1
#13: LSU (2-0) -1
#14: Penn State (2-0) +3
#15: Mississippi State (2-0) +1
#16: UCF (2-0) -2
#17: TCU (2-0) +1
#18: Miami (1-1) +3
#19: Michigan (1-1) +3
#20: Oklahoma State (2-0) +3
#21: NC State (2-0) +3
#22: Boise State (2-0) +3
#23: Oregon (2-0) NEW
#24: Michigan State (1-1) -9
#25: Missouri (2-0) NEW

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out

North Texas (2-0)
USC (1-1)
USF (2-0)
Boston College (2-0)
Maryland (2-0)
Utah (2-0)
Iowa (2-0)
South Carolina (1-1)
Toledo (1-0)
Arizona State (2-0)

Last edited by SouthernTiger; 09-09-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 AM

348 posts, read 126,827 times
I think your top 25 is good. The only thing I would change is Okalhoma would switch with Ohio State and I would include Texas A&M somewhere around 20.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Also forgot...congrats to Kentucky on finally snapping the streak against Florida.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:45 AM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Arkansas vs. Colorado State. Easy winner for the Razorbacks.
Not so fast, my friend. 34-27 CSU. Jerry Jones was in Fort Collins to watch his beloved Hogs lose. Woo Pig Sooie for breakfast at my house today.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
What are this week's Games? I went 11-11 last week, for a total of 27-23 for the season so far.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:11 AM

All right. Here's the Week 3 picks. These will usually be done on Wednesdays, however, i will do them on Tuesday for interesting MACtion games. I had some different games in this list, but due to postponements, had to change them out. Anyways, here they are.

Boston College vs. Wake Forest
Florida State vs. Syracuse
Hawaii vs. Army
Rutgers vs. Kansas
Troy vs. Nebraska
Georgia Tech vs. Pittsburgh
Tulane vs. UAB
Vanderbilt vs. (10) Notre Dame
(22) Boise State vs. (20) Oklahoma State
Duke vs. Baylor
(13) LSU vs. (6) Auburn
USF vs. Illinois
Colorado State vs. Florida
Houston vs. Texas Tech
North Texas vs. Arkansas
Ohio vs. Virginia
(1) Alabama vs. Ole Miss
Oregon State vs. Nevada
(25) Missouri vs. Purdue
New Mexico vs. New Mexico State
(3) Ohio State vs. (17) TCU
USC vs. Texas
(12) Washington vs. Utah
Arizona State vs. San Diego State
Fresno State vs. UCLA

Pick Overall Record: 30-20
Pick Record Last Week: 11-11

Here are my picks.
Boston College vs. Wake Forest (I am not too impressed with Wake Forest...so far, however, Boston College looks to have their best offense in some time.)
Florida State vs. Syracuse (Unless i see improvement from the Seminoles, i really don't have faith in them here. I'll take the Orange in somewhat of an upset.)
Hawaii vs. Army (Tough one to pick. Yes, Hawaii is traveling damn near 5,000 miles to play this game. Yes, i know Army typically isn't the easiest team to beat these days, and Hawaii hasn't exactly been perfect, either...but Hawaii's offense has been lighting it up, and Cole McDonald looks somewhat like the next Colt Brennan. I'll take the Rainbow Warriors on the road, and i doubt they have a challenge after this until either Wyoming or BYU.)
Rutgers vs. Kansas (I know Kansas won on the road for the first time in 9 years, and i know they're a narrow favorite...but i don't have faith in the Jayhawks yet. It's not going to change the fact that Beaty is getting fired...i think Kansas goes back to its usual ways this week.)
Troy vs. Nebraska (I expect Troy to be impressive in the Sun Belt, but i don't think they can beat Nebraska. It might be close, but i think Nebraska will have enough in the tank to outlast them.)
Georgia Tech vs. Pittsburgh (Both did not look too good last week...don't know who to pick, but based off of scores, i'll take the Yellow Jackets on the road.)
Tulane vs. UAB (One matchup that i think is somewhat going un-noticed by many. Green Wave win a close one...)
Vanderbilt vs. Notre Dame (I was not impressed with Notre Dame last week...and Vanderbilt will keep this game close. But i think Notre Dame finds a way to win it in the end like they've done a lot of times. The Irish have usually been real good at tricking weaker competition in the past into thinking they a chance...and then breaking their hearts at the last second.)
Boise State vs. Oklahoma State (I know it's early, but i'm riding the Boise train. They're about the only G5 team in my mind that's just as good or better than UCF. I think the train rolls on after this week.)
Duke vs. Baylor (Going to take Baylor here...i don't think Duke's offense will be able to keep up.)
LSU vs. Auburn (I don't know about y'all, but i think LSU's in for a rude awakening when they come to Jordan-Hare.)
USF vs. Illinois (I thought the Bulls would take a step back this year when Flowers left...nope. I was wrong. And Illinois isn't exactly all that better this year either. For all the hype about Lovie, what all has he done?)
Colorado State vs. Florida (A 20-point favorite's a bit too much after last week...but i think Florida has enough to get the job done. Could be a letdown, though.)
Houston vs. Texas Tech (Taking a guess here...hoping it works out in my favor. Both of them look good, but i'll give the edge to Tech.)
North Texas vs. Arkansas (I knew Chad Morris would be terrible in the short-term...he'll work out better long-term for Arkansas, though. Hog fans, don't bail just yet. He's installing a much different system compared to what Bert had in place. It'll be a rough first season, though, and i doubt it gets better this week.)
Ohio vs. Virginia (I'll take Virginia here. I think they win by more than 3 points.)
Alabama vs. Ole Miss (Ole Miss will expose Bama's secondary in my opinion...trust me, i think they will. Problem? Alabama can match them point for point, and will shoot it out with them if they want to. I think Alabama wins by around 15-25 points, but it'll be high-scoring in my mind.)
Oregon State vs. Nevada (Well, look at that...i mean, they're still not good, but the Beavers are showing signs of improvement, and not the POS teams under Gary Andersen. I'll take them to beat the spread and win this week. Won't be surprised if i'm wrong here, though, as i still wouldn't sleep on Nevada's offense.)
Missouri vs. Purdue (I'll take Mizzou...but i feel weird about this game. Sure, Purdue's 0-2, but they're not all that bad. Both of their games were blown on defensive stupidity, and Eastern Michigan is not a cupcake anymore. Plus, Missouri's defense really hasn't faced much of a test...could Purdue do it? Let's find out.)
New Mexico vs. New Mexico State (Sad to see that the Aggies are going back to what they were before.)
Ohio State vs. TCU (Upset pick. Dwayne Haskins is pretty damn talented, there is no denying that. So far, however, he's only played Oregon State and Rutgers...he's yet to face a team with much of a defense, or one that can stop teams like Ohio State enough. Gary Patterson can squeeze what he can out of what he has on his roster...and it's at JerryWorld. Could be wrong here, but i'm going with the Horned Hypnotoads.)
USC vs. Texas (Tee Martin vs. Tim Beck...which offensive coordinator is worse? We'll see...but i do not feel good about our odds in this one regardless.)
Washington vs. Utah (I was going to pick Utah...until i saw how they performed against Northern Illinois. Washington didn't do all that well against North Dakota either, but they blew them out...so i'm picking them based on that.)
Arizona State vs. San Diego State (Herm Edwards is 2-0. Kevin Sumlin is 0-2. To think how the expectations for both coaches were before the season began...i'll take the Sun Devils to move on to 3-0.)
Fresno State vs. UCLA (Tossup...but i feel like this is where UCLA will pick up their first win.)

Old 09-12-2018, 03:14 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,872,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Here are my picks.

Ohio State vs. TCU (Upset pick. Dwayne Haskins is pretty damn talented, there is no denying that. So far, however, he's only played Oregon State and Rutgers...he's yet to face a team with much of a defense, or one that can stop teams like Ohio State enough. Gary Patterson can squeeze what he can out of what he has on his roster...and it's at JerryWorld. Could be wrong here, but i'm going with the Horned Hypnotoads.)
Haskins arguably won last year's Michigan game, dominating the Wolverines' vaunted defense (offense is the problem at Michigan).

<<Haskins helped lead the Buckeyes to 17 points in the game’s final 20 minutes as OSU pulled out the 31-20 win. And he did it in front of a largely hostile Michigan Stadium crowd of 112,028 and against a Michigan defense that was ranked in the top five nationally going into the game.>>

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...018-120351745/

TCU is NOT in Michigan's class as a defensive team.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2018/team/22

<< He compiled the most passing yards and most touchdown passes by an Ohio State quarterback making his first start.>>

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...5tqY4b5N4DQUM/

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...dwayne-haskins

Not only is Haskins more experienced this year, he's benefiting from a massive upgrade in Ohio State's receiver coach position with Brian Hartline replacing the infamous Zach Smith. Hartline was a star at Ohio State and played 7 years in the NFL. I've heard cable commentators rave about the improvement in Ohio State's receiver play, noting that they always now catch the ball with their hands, not allowing the body to serve as a backstop. Buckeye receivers seem open on almost every passing play, making easy target practice for the big-armed (reportedly his passes whistle according to those standing on the sideline) Haskins, who has a very quick release reminiscent of Dan Marino. He already has set several Ohio State game records, even though playing less than three quarters in Ohio State's first two games.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20...brian-hartline

Ohio State loves playing in Arlington's AT&T Stadium, and several key Ohio State players have Texas roots and will be eager to perform in front of family and friends. Shawn Robinson is a familiar entity.

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...4SBK4EFP0mJ2L/

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...cruited-by-tcu

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...tate-faces-tcu

Most importantly, Ohio State fields much more raw talent than TCU and it's supported by one of the best coaching staffs in NCAAF. Ohio State's roster features 11 five-star recruits versus none at TCU. Ohio State's roster tops TCU in top 100 recruits 36-2.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum...en-osu-and-tcu

TCU may UPSET Ohio State, but that's what it would be -- a massive upset. Think Iowa last year, when J.T. Barrett was playing with a bum knee that required surgery after the game.

Due to the importance for the play-off selection committee of comparable opponents, and the reality that Oklahoma as a result also will have a target on TCU's back, Ohio State will unleash everything it has on TCU. Key defensive players such as Nick Bosa didn't play a entire half against Rutgers, not likely to be repeated against TCU.

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-S...osa-121776343/

An impressive victory against TCU is needed by the Buckeyes because Michigan and Penn State have not done well in non-conference play. Maryland's win over Texas should help, however, especially if Texas could upset Oklahoma.

So Ohio State knowingly may be playing for one of the four play-off slots this Saturday.

Rather than celebrating an upset, TCU fans Sunday may be complaining about Ohio State running up the score.... Conveniently, Urban Meyer won't be around on Saturday to be the villain if the Buckeyes do put a massive rout on TCU.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-12-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or