Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 10:48 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times

Advertisements

15-10 for the week brings me to 44-31 on the year. Rutgers & UCLA woof both stink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:43 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
All right. Here's the picks for Week 4. Hopefully i improve on my record from last week. Games below.

Tulsa vs. Temple
Florida Atlantic vs. (16) UCF
(13) Penn State vs. Illinois
Washington State vs. USC
Boston College vs. Purdue
Buffalo vs. Rutgers
(3) Georgia vs. (23) Missouri
Minnesota vs. Maryland
Nevada vs. Toledo
(9) Notre Dame vs. Wake Forest
Ohio vs. Cincinnati
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina
Louisville vs. Virginia
Kansas vs. Baylor
Kansas State vs. (6) West Virginia
Texas A&M vs. (1) Alabama
South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt
(21) TCU vs. Texas
Florida vs. Tennessee
(14) Mississippi State vs. Kentucky
Texas Tech vs. (17) Oklahoma State
UNLV vs. Arkansas State
(24) Michigan State vs. Indiana
East Carolina vs. USF
(10) Stanford vs. (25) Oregon
(15) Wisconsin vs. Iowa
Air Force vs. Utah State
Arizona State vs. (12) Washington

Pick Overall Record: 42-33
Pick Record Last Week: 12-13

Here are my picks.
Tulsa vs. Temple (Didn't know here...i mean, yes, Geoff Collins isn't a good coach, but Temple's coming off a win over Maryland, and Tulsa doesn't look too well, so i'm going with the hometown team.)
Florida Atlantic vs. UCF (This should be a good game, but Florida Atlantic's defense...i am not impressed.)
Penn State vs. Illinois (I expect a Nittany Lion win, but this could be a trap game, as it's the week before home against Ohio State.)
Washington State vs. USC (Man, USC...y'all ain't good. I'm really tempted to go Washington State here, but i also know that USC plays better at home, so i feel like picking the Cougars here would just be asking to fool myself.)
Boston College vs. Purdue (I'll take the Eagles on the road, but i will say, do not overlook this. Despite Purdue's 0-3 record, they're not entirely garbage. This could be the game where they get a win if Boston College isn't careful.)
Buffalo vs. Rutgers (Rutgers is pretty bad...but surely, they should have enough to at least beat Buffalo at home, even if it's an ugly win.)
Georgia vs. Missouri (I think Georgia runs away with this...Mizzou's defense got exposed last week.)
Minnesota vs. Maryland (This was just a guess.)
Nevada vs. Toledo (I'll take the Wolf Pack.)
Notre Dame vs. Wake Forest (As ugly as the Irish have looked, this is another game they should win. Would be funny if Wake won, though.)
Ohio vs. Cincinnati (This is definitely a better Cincinnati team than the past two seasons were. Bearcats could potentially be 8-0 when they hit somewhat of the meat of their schedule.)
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina (I think this will be the year that the Panthers finally beat UNC. Fedora will be getting fired regardless of this game's result IMO.)
Louisville vs. Virginia (Originally, this was a tossup. But after seeing both teams the first few weeks...all i can say is, this will be a long year for Louisville.)
Kansas vs. Baylor (I do think Baylor wins this...was wrong on Kansas. Other than Nicholls, they've played some bad teams...their in-conference competition will not be easy, though.)
Kansas State vs. West Virginia (I'll take the Mountaineers at home...nothing from K-State has shown me that they can compete with West Virginia.)
Texas A&M vs. Alabama (And not only am i taking Alabama, i'm taking the points. I do not think A&M will be quite ready for what Alabama's gonna throw at them...and this is by far Saban's most explosive offense since he's been in Tuscaloosa.)
South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt (Not quite buying Vandy. I think the Gamecocks bounce back from the disaster they had two weeks ago, and win a close one.)
TCU vs. Texas (I mean, we looked a crap-ton better last week than we looked the first two...but have we really improved, or is USC that bad on the road? I don't know...i do know, however, that the Purple Hypnotoads are 5-1 against us since joining the conference. Not saying that's a factor here, because it's not. But as of right now...)
Florida vs. Tennessee (This will likely be the biggest win of the season for whoever takes this. Right now, i'll take Florida.)
Mississippi State vs. Kentucky (Underrated matchup...State will win, but i think it's by 7 or 14 points. Kentucky won't really be able to handle State's defense exactly enough, but i think they do enough to at least stay in.)
Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State (Red Raiders are back to being all-offense, no-defense...and at Oklahoma State, i can't favor them in this matchup.)
UNLV vs. Arkansas State (Here's one game that's flying under the radar. I'll give the edge to UNLV.)
Michigan State vs. Indiana (Coming off of an early bye week (Which i think is stupid), I think the Spartans win this game. Don't think it'll be a blowout, but they'll win.)
East Carolina vs. USF (I have no faith in Scottie Montgomery at ECU. USF runs away with this one easily.)
Stanford vs. Oregon (I was not impressed with Oregon last week...of course, Stanford wasn't all that perfect either, but they beat the team that beat San Jose State by more than Oregon beat the actual San Jose State. And Bryce Love is expected to play in this...don't really see this going Oregon's way.)
Wisconsin vs. Iowa (I'll take Wisconsin bouncing back from last week's embarrassment. Iowa hasn't got much on offense.)
Air Force vs. Utah State (Aggies have got a damn good offense...could Matt Wells be safe another year? So far, i think yes.)
Arizona State vs. Washington (I'll take the Huskies at home.)

Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
The Big Cat is up to 42-33 for the season after going 15-10 last week

Tulsa vs. TEMPLE is a slightly better team and they are at home
Florida Atlantic vs. (16) UCF Land Kiffin wants to play with the Big Boys. Doubt sneaking Mark Ingram into a game will even be enough against the Golden Knights
(13) PENN STATE vs. Illinois
Washington State vs. USC Hard one to pick. Washington state has not played anyone good and USC has not beated anyone good.
BAHSTON CAHLLEGE vs. Purdue
BUFFALO vs. Rutgers Rutgers lost to Kansas? Oh the shame.
(3) GEORGIA vs. (23) Missouri Jawja lookin good so far.....
MEENUH-SODA vs. Maryland
Nevada vs. TOLEDO I am thinking the ROCKETS will fly at home
(9) NOTRE DAME vs. Wake Forest
Ohio vs. CINCINNATI
PITTSBURGH vs. North Carolina
Louisville vs. VIRGINIA
KANSAS vs. Baylor CRUMMY GAME OF THE WEEK (or the weak)
Kansas State vs. (6) WEST VIRGINIA

Texas A&M vs. (1) ALABAMA Aside from the A&M Marching Band, this is the best Aggie Joke around: Aggie Scientists are going to travel to the sun for research. To keep from burning up, they are going to travel at night.

South Carolina vs. VANDERBILT Ya know, I thnk Vandy may be a little better than we thought. We will see
(21) TCU vs. Texas I had wished that the Horny Toads would have beat Ohio State last week.
Florida vs.TENNESSEE Something tells me to pick the Alligators on the road, but If I followed my own advice, my record would be better.
(14) MISSISSIPPI STATE vs. Kentucky
Texas Tech vs. (17) OKLAHOMA STATE
UNLV vs. ARKANSAS STATE Hard one to pick, probably the team with the most points will win.
(24) MICHIGAN STATE vs. Indiana
East Carolina vs. USF
(10) STANFORD vs. (25) Oregon Stan & Ford say win
(15) WISCONSIN vs. Iowa
Air Force vs. UTAH STATE
Arizona State vs. (12) WASHINTON

Old 09-19-2018, 08:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
(21) TCU vs. Texas I had wished that the Horny Toads would have beat Ohio State last week.
We had it... but you have to play mistake-free football against Ohio State, and we all saw what happened.

(Also, TCU is #17)

Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We had it... but you have to play mistake-free football against Ohio State, and we all saw what happened.

(Also, TCU is #17)

That was a cool play on the kick off with the other returner laying down on the turf then receiving the ball from the other one across the field.

Too bad it was a penalty for a forward pass.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Last week: 15-10
Overall: 44-31

Tulsa vs. Temple. Temple's seemed to have better results and they are at home. Plus, it's the weekday primetime home game which means when in doubt ALWAYS pick the home team.
Florida Atlantic vs. (16) UCF. Knights at home
(13) Penn State vs. Illinois. I think this will actually be a closer game then the experts think, with the Lions winning late.
Washington State vs. USC. I don't want to do this with the short week and coming off that brutal showing at Texas last weekend, but think USC pulls it out.
Boston College vs. Purdue. 3 close losses for Purdue, think they break through.
Buffalo vs. Rutgers. This is my throwaway pick of the week. Anyone that gives up 55 points to Kansas I just cannot pick the next week, no matter how bad that team may be.
(3) Georgia vs. (23) Missouri. Close for 3 quarters with UGA pulling away in the 4th.
Minnesota vs. Maryland. They are at home, so I'll take the Terps.
Nevada vs. Toledo. Fun game, but a long way to travel for Nevada, so I'll take Toledo.
(9) Notre Dame vs. Wake Forest. ND starts slow and wins late.
Ohio vs. Cincinnati. Not sure they can keep it up, but so far Cincinnati is playing pretty well.
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina. WOW, UNC is awful.
Louisville vs. Virginia. I'll take UVA at home.
Kansas vs. Baylor. Back to reality for Kansas.
Kansas State vs. (6) West Virginia. Wildcats just don't have the weapons to keep up.
Texas A&M vs. (1) Alabama. Bama blowout.
South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt. Just a guess here.
(21) TCU vs. Texas. I'll take the Longhorns at home coming off the nice win vs. USC last week, while TCU could be in for a letdown after the loss to Ohio State.
Florida vs. Tennessee. Remember when this used to be the marquee game in the SEC East, and in the early to mid 90's maybe the entire SEC?? Where has time gone??
(14) Mississippi State vs. Kentucky. I really like this Kentucky team, think they can finish 2nd in the East behind Georgia, and I think they beat Miss State.
Texas Tech vs. (17) Oklahoma State. Pokes at home.
UNLV vs. Arkansas State. Ark State at home I guess.
(24) Michigan State vs. Indiana. Sparty with a field goal win in Bloomington.
East Carolina vs. USF. Will ECU be respectable this year or is UNC just that bad??
(10) Stanford vs. (25) Oregon. Stanford at Autzen, don't see how the Ducks are going to be able to stop Bryce Love.
(15) Wisconsin vs. Iowa. Rivalry game, night game at Iowa, ranked team coming in. I've seen how this has played out before in recent years, and it's usually not good for the road team (Penn State notwithstanding, but they won that game on literally the last play of the game)
Air Force vs. Utah State. I'll take the Falcons and the option.
Arizona State vs. (12) Washington. Honeymoon in Tempe for Herm Edwards is officially over.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
If 2018 is proving anything it's that the Bill Callahan era wasn't rock bottom for Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are a raging dumpster fire, the likes of which haven't been seen in Lincoln in 60+ years. They're likely to start 0-3 for the first time in 73 years.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,326 times
Well, look at you, Old Dominion! Congrats on getting your biggest win in program history, a 49-35 victory over Virginia Tech.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Well, look at you, Old Dominion! Congrats on getting your biggest win in program history, a 49-35 victory over Virginia Tech.
ODU's QB (Blake LaRussa) went off against VT's defense. It was reminiscent of Taylor Heinicke when he was slinging for ODU.

I thought VT had an outside shot at going undefeated. They have a seemingly easy schedule.. But..

Old 09-22-2018, 09:29 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
That should pull Old Dominion out of the so-called Bottom 10, and it might put Virginia Tech in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football