Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 12:24 PM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

If Ohio State smashes Northwestern, it ups its odds even more.

Northwestern tends to play up (or down) to their opponent. So, I kinda expect a tight game there.

Just playing devil's advocate.. What happens in a crazy scenario? Georgia, UCF, Oklahoma and Ohio State all lose.

My guess.. That would get Georgia in.. Pending on how bad they lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
I've watched a few Oklahoma games. That defense is historically bad.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:36 PM

939 posts, read 505,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Northwestern tends to play up (or down) to their opponent. So, I kinda expect a tight game there.

Just playing devil's advocate.. What happens in a crazy scenario? Georgia, UCF, Oklahoma and Ohio State all lose.

Georgia could be the only of the four to lose and still get in. The media again assumes to think it knows more than it does and somehow established rhetoric which states that a two loss team can’t make it.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I don't see how UCF gets in, even if they win and the other 3 lose. Assuming Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio State were all to lose, then I also will guess that Georgia gets in. That'd be interesting because they'd then have to play Alabama again.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:46 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,459,162 times
Who ended up ranked higher?? Michigan or UCF??

Currently behind them in the rankings I don't see how there is ANY way Ohio State jumps Oklahoma next week if both win. Both would be outright conference champs, both defenses are horrible, both have good QBs, but Oklahoma would've beaten the far superior team and they were higher ranked.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 PM

455 posts, read 651,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'd say you should go read about all the crap they were pulling back in the day. And Danny Ford was fully complicit.

I
Pay
Two
Athletes
Yearly
No need, I lived through all of it and remember exactly what went down.

Quote:
Danny Ford was a loose cannon. When Clemson went back under NCAA investigation, the death penalty was certainly an option. I have a lot of friends who are Clemson fans and many of them thought it would happen.
The only factual thing you have stated is that Danny Ford was a loose cannon. The investigation in the late 80’s resulted in a handful of minor violations and a slap on the wrist. The NCAA took the unusual step of publicly stating that they had no issues with Ford coaching any team. There was never any consideration of the “Death Penalty”, suggestions to the contrary are the product of envy and tinfoil-hat theories from our little brothers in Columbia...

Old 11-28-2018, 08:46 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,112 times
All right, now here's the picks for conference championship week.

(25) Buffalo vs. Northern Illinois
(15) Utah vs. (10) Washington
Marshall vs. Virginia Tech
(7) Oklahoma vs. (11) Texas
(24) Appalachian State vs. UL Lafayette
Mid Tenn State vs. UAB
Stanford vs. Cal
Memphis vs. (5) UCF
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Georgia
Alcorn State vs. Southern
(8) Boise State vs. (13) Fresno State
(3) Clemson vs. Pittsburgh
Northwestern vs. (4) Ohio State

Pick Overall Record: 203-122
Pick Record Last Week: 16-13

Here are my picks.
(25) Buffalo vs. Northern Illinois (Rod Carey's teams seem to have good enough to make it to the MAC title some years, but never really enough to win it with 2014 being the exception. I don't see another exception occurring here.)
(15) Utah vs. (10) Washington (Could be wrong, but i can't help but feel like the Utes get some revenge on Washington now that they actually have an offense.)
Marshall vs. Virginia Tech (Hokies will sneak their way into bowl eligibility again.)
(7) Oklahoma vs. (11) Texas (Call me insane, and i may be, even though this game very much scares me, but although we play down to weaker competition, we've shown up for good teams as well. I thought OU firing Mike Stoops would get their defense somewhat better over the season...instead, it's actually gotten worse. Lincoln's DC hire will likely decide how his future at OU plays out. But i do have faith we can knock the Sooners out of playoff competition, despite the fact that beating the same team twice in one year is usually a difficult task. Oh, and if you bet on this game, do not under any circumstances take the under. It's a guaranteed death wish.)
(24) Appalachian State vs. UL Lafayette (Might be a better matchup than expected, but i'll go with Appalachian State on the road.)
Mid Tenn State vs. UAB (I really don't feel like UAB will get revenge, unfortunately.)
Stanford vs. Cal (All right, for real this time. No more cancellations. I'm still going with Cal here, even though the odds aren't in their favor.)
Memphis vs. (5) UCF (Even minus Milton, i'm going UCF. Darriel Mack is not a bad backup, and it showed against ECU, where he got some reps. Obviously not on McKenzie's level, but you know...plus, Memphis has been rather inconsistent. Which Tiger team will show up? Plus, i think the fact that Michigan is above UCF in the playoff rankings will fire them up a bit.)
(1) Alabama vs. (6) Georgia (The odds really don't favor Georgia here, honestly. I think this will be a very good game, i don't think Alabama wins by 20+, and i could be wrong, but this Crimson Tide team has been insane to watch this year, even if the SEC is weaker. Georgia's running game will do plenty of things here, but Jake Fromm is not the best quarterback there is. He doesn't suck, but he's not all that good, either. And to beat Alabama, you're going to need excellent QB play.)
Alcorn State vs. Southern (I took a guess here...Jaguars got hot after the first time they lost to Alcorn.)
(8) Boise State vs. (13) Fresno State (No smurf turf edge for the Broncos...won't be a blowout, but i'll take Fresno State to get revenge on Boise for what happened a couple of weeks ago.)
(3) Clemson vs. Pittsburgh (Although this would be the most hilarious loss of the week, Pittsburgh isn't going to strike gold twice in a row against Clemson. Could it be closer than what i think? Yeah...but i still don't see Pittsburgh winning.)
Northwestern vs. (4) Ohio State (I'm going with the Buckeyes, but don't count Northwestern out. Like i have said, the Wildcats are Jekyll & Hyde. Whatever the line on this will be, give me Northwestern to cover, but not quite win. Buckeyes may be going to the playoffs after all.)

Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
I've watched a few Oklahoma games. That defense is historically bad.
This is a key for me. Ohio State's defensive coaches have been historically bad this year (see link below). Meyer apparently read the riot act after the Maryland game, and linebacker and secondary play improved greatly against Michigan (the special teams muffed a kick-off, resulting in a TD one play later from deep in the red zone).

Iowa in 2017; Purdue 2018; does Urban Meyer's buddy coaching system doom Ohio State?

If Ohio State's defense stifles Northwestern's now healthy offense, while the offense rolls up Northwestern's defense massively, it will send a message to the play-off committee that Ohio State finally has corralled its superb talent into a great team. Given Northwestern's lower ranking, it might not compare to the 2014 beat-down of Wisconsin that gave Ohio State a ticket to the play-offs in its national championship season, but it may be sufficient to leap-frog Oklahoma if Texas lights up that leaky Sooner defense even in a losing effort.

Local commentators believe both Ohio State and Oklahoma if victorious Saturday deserve a play-off slot over Notre Dame, which wasn't impressive in its victory over a weak USC team. Notre Dame's featured victories over Michigan (in South Bend; Michigan's offense still lagging under new QB) and against Northwestern may not seem so good if Ohio State also smashes Northwestern.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...otball-playoff

Old 11-28-2018, 04:02 PM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
This video doesn't really do the story justice.. But.. If you've ever come across a $2 bill stamped with an orange tiger paw..

https://www.facebook.com/clemsonuniv...1363129237989/

The part they didn't cover.. The 'protest' was to show how much money Clemson brought to the economy in Atlanta.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ion/711655001/

That covers it a little more. But, figured with bowl season approaching.. Neat little story for those who aren't familiar with the Clemson Tiger Paw $2 bill tradition.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Quote:
I'd say you should go read about all the crap they were pulling back in the day. And Danny Ford was fully complicit.

I
Pay
Two
Athletes
Yearly
Those athletes never played at Clemson and it was boosters that paid them.

Danny Ford seems like the most laid back person in the world. Loose cannon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football