Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 04:29 AM

354 posts, read 279,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
They got whooped tonight. What I don’t understand is how fans of anybody but Clemson think they’ve earned the right to talk smack?
+1

Only one other team has won a playoff game in the last 4 years.

These two senior classes both went 55 - 4, won 2 national championships each, played each other in the playoffs all 4 years, and most of those losses were to each other.

By the 3rd quarter you get the feeling that some assistant coaches from Clemson had been studying AL all year. That looked like more than just a week's worth of strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:10 AM

18,167 posts, read 25,707,097 times
There was a butt kicking at Levi Stadium in Santa Clara, California last night. And Alabama provided the butt.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,796,119 times
That was definitely a butt kicking. Clemson was definitely the best team this year. How much do you want to bet Alabama and Clemson will be in the championship game again next year? That is unless it works out where they have to play each other in a playoff game and one gets eliminated by the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
+1

Only one other team has won a playoff game in the last 4 years.

These two senior classes both went 55 - 4, won 2 national championships each, played each other in the playoffs all 4 years, and most of those losses were to each other.

By the 3rd quarter you get the feeling that some assistant coaches from Clemson had been studying AL all year. That looked like more than just a week's worth of strategy.
Those are amazing stats aren't they. When you stop and think about how those two teams with those players have completely dominated college football for the past 4 years. It is an amazing feat and almost statistically impossible for teams to dominate like that in this day and age but yet they keep doing it year after year and it will most likely continue for the foreseeable future. Another interesting tidbit that a lot of people do not realize is Clemson's coach Dabo Swinney is from Alabama. He grew up there, played for Alabama and was on the 1992 Alabama national championship team. He is a big Alabama fan, has a house there and visits often. He said in a post game interview last night he probably won't be welcome home for a little while though. lol

Last edited by dijkstra; 01-08-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 08:06 AM

31,935 posts, read 34,443,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I believe I said after the ND game that Clemson's receivers would give Alabama problems. Justyn Ross dominated the Tide secondary.
Here is what I said last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As great as Bama's air attack is, Clemson's has the potential to be better. They have a taller QB (6'6 vs 6'0) who has a stronger arm than Tua. TBH, he's a much better arm talent even if talent is not what will determine the outcome of next Monday's game. Bama has speedsters in Jeudy, Ruggs and Waddle, but they are small guys. Waddle is listed at 5'10, which means he's really about 5'8.5. Higgins and Ross are 6'5 and 6'4, respectively, and they both have speed. I think it's going to come down to who can protect the QB the best, but on paper, I'd give an edge to the Clemson passing game even if it hasn't been as statistically prolific as Bama's. They are going to be a problem for college defenses over the next couple of years.
We saw that potential materialize last night. Covering fast, 6'4+ receivers is a challenge for a prime Deion Sanders much less a college sophomore.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:55 AM

12,890 posts, read 13,198,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
CFP is still alive with this Clemson win. Any potential changes are now delayed.
And that is a shame.
Eight team playoff is the only way to legitimize the eventual championship game.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM

12,890 posts, read 13,198,723 times
Clemson’s receivers were really something else special, and there are a lot of good ones in college football.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:46 PM

17,408 posts, read 14,983,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And that is a shame.
Eight team playoff is the only way to legitimize the eventual championship game.

Do you think that Clemson playing another game against UCF makes a difference?

The only team that maybe shakes things up a bit is Georgia.

8 team playoff, with pre-bowl rankings.. You'd have had

Alabama vs Michigan
Clemson vs UCF
Notre Dame vs Georgia
Oklahoma vs Ohio State

The only game that's really interesting there is the Notre Dame/Georgia matchup.

Another Alabama/Georgia game.. That could have been interesting.

well.. I'm looking at the Coaches poll.. Obviously with the CFP poll, it would have been

Alabama vs UCF
Clemson vs Michigan
Notre Dame vs Ohio State
Oklahoma vs Georgia

I'd say Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Georgia move on

So, Alabama vs Ohio State and Clemson vs Georgia

And you likely still wind up with Alabama vs Clemson.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And that is a shame.
Labonte already detailed this above, but I don't understand how an Eight team playoff would "legitimize" the eventual championship game???

Is there any doubt that the 2 best teams in college football squared off last night???

Is there any doubt that the best team won??

I would say No and No....

so what would putting 4 more teams into the playoffs accomplish if the ultimate goal is to see the best 2 teams face each other for the National Championship???

Old 01-08-2019, 06:12 PM

354 posts, read 279,431 times
I could see maybe a 6 team playoff where the top two get a bye week, maybe. The issue is that with an 8 team CFP you end up giving them 'throw away' games during the season. GA lost 2 games and would be in, same with Michigan.

I love that in NCAAF every week matters. Lose even one game and you end up needing help to make the CFP, like Ohio State. Teams have to go undefeated to lock in their bid. Except for ND this also means winning their conference. I was glad the so called Big 12 finally instituted a conference game so OU had to play 13 games.

(The "Big 12" has 10 teams while the Big 10 has 14 teams )

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,250,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Another interesting tidbit that a lot of people do not realize is Clemson's coach Dabo Swinney is from Alabama. He grew up there, played for Alabama and was on the 1992 Alabama national championship team. He is a big Alabama fan, has a house there and visits often. He said in a post game interview last night he probably won't be welcome home for a little while though. lol
It would ironic and kind of funny when Saban retires, if Dabo comes back to his alma mater and takes that coaching job, we'll see how many Clemson fans turn on him after all he's brought to their program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football