U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:13 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,883,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Smith admitted in emails beating his wife, Meyer knew about it and lied publically.

Meyer & some tOSU fans appear to support wife beating because they deny what happened (and UM kept the scumbag on his staff).

Disgraceful, but it remains to be seen if the University has the moral backbone to get rid of those toxic dirtbags.

I guess wife beating doesn't rise to the severity of free tattoos?
Based on everything that I've read, this post is essentially FALSE. Here's why:

Definition of beating:

<<: an act of striking with repeated blows so as to injure or damage; also : the injury or damage thus inflicted >>

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/beating

Here's the New York Times article about the Ohio State report on this incident prepared by outside attorneys.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/22/s...te-report.html

Show me any evidence, including Zach Smith e-mails, that suggest let alone prove that Zach Smith beat his wife, at least in Ohio. Many persons who have followed this story believe that Courtney Smith fabricated charges against Zach Smith, reportedly a possibility confirmed by Courtney Smith's estranged mother.

If Smith's wife actually had been beaten in Ohio, even in Columbus, Smith would have been charged with assault. Zach Smith never was charged with assault to my knowledge. This doesn't mean that Zach Smith should have, for many reasons, employed by the OSU football team.

WHAT IS INACCURATE IS TO STATE THAT URBAN MEYER OR OHIO STATE CONDONED OR COVERED UP WIFE BEATING.

Meyer critics don't understand that Meyer likely has been caught up in a custody battle, which is about to play out in the courts. Remember what led to Smith's termination at Ohio State, according to Zach Smith -- an arrest for criminal trespassing, NOT assault:

<<According to the criminal complaint also obtained by Eleven Warriors, "Mr. Smith took his son to his ex-wife's residence (redacted) to drop him off after being instructed by Ms. Smith not to come to her residence and disregarding a previous criminal trespass warning that had been given to him by Detective Pentz on Dec. 19, 2017 at 2 p.m. The incident was witnessed by Ms. Smith and their son along with photographs of Mr. Smith's vehicle being present in her driveway. Mr. Smith also admitted to Sgt. Roach that he was present on Ms. Smith's property and acknowledged receipt of the trespass warning given to him by Detective Pentz.">>

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...ourt-Wednesday

Zach Smith's attorney explains what happened in May, according to Zach Smith. If this is accurate, it sounds as if Courtney Smith deliberately set up her ex-husband.

<<"Zach was returning his 13-year-old son to his ex-wife, which had previously been agreed upon," Koffel said. "The exact location of the drop-off hadn't been discussed. They were texting each other as to where to meet. She told them to meet at their apartment complex clubhouse. He drove there. She wasn't there, and he dropped the son at her apartment. She was waiting for him with her cell phone out, and took a picture of him in her driveway. He left and she called the Powell police and said it was trespassing.
"She never presented the shared parenting plan to the police department. She never presented the shared parenting plan to the Delaware prosecutor's office. A criminal complaint was filed against Zach. He was never arrested. He went to Powell PD and picked up the criminal trespass complaint. At no point did he ever violate the shared parenting plan. And we entered a not guilty (plea) on June 5."
While an arrest report was filed, Smith's attorney Brad Koffel said Wednesday during an interview on 610 WTVN Radio that his client was not taken into custody.>>

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...hes-119906337/

<<Zach Smith, the Ohio State receivers coach who was fired July 23 after being charged with violating a protective order against his ex-wife, Courtney, told 105.7 The Zone in Columbus and ESPN he had not committed any acts of domestic violence.

Smith told ESPN that he had conversations with both director of athletics Gene Smith and Meyer about a 2015 domestic violence allegation that has been the catalyst for Meyer being put on administrative leave this week.

“I told (Meyer), ‘Courtney is accusing me that I committed domestic violence. I didn’t,’ ” Zach Smith told ESPN’s Dan Murphy. “I don’t know what’s going on, but I’m going to meet with the investigator to find out what the deal is.

“I told the police anything that happened to her body was a defensive action to remove myself from the situation.”

Zach Smith said Meyer’s response was to look at him and say, “'Zach, if you hit her, you’re fired immediately.’ And I looked at him and I said, ‘Coach, if I hit her, I wouldn’t even be here. I know how you feel about that. If I hit her, I wouldn’t come to work. I would know, it’s over.’”

When the interviewer replied, “And you never hit her?” to which Smith said, “No, I never hit her....”

“All I know is I never hit my wife. I never beat her. Nothing. Now, we had a toxic relationship and I’m at fault as much as she is because I did things I should not have done. I was not a good husband. I wasn’t good, great at it, but I never committed domestic violence.” >>

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...Sn5574z9RcByO/

I'm not saying that Zach Smith isn't abusive or doesn't have problems. I just haven't read anything about Smith "beating" his wife, or that he has been prosecuted for physical abuse.

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/08/f...st-zach-smith/

And reportedly even Courtney Smith's mother accuses her daughter of filing false charges against Zach Smith.

<<In their interview with Snook, Bruce and Carano claim the domestic abuse allegations against Zach Smith are false, and that Courtney Smith vowed years ago to "take down" her ex-husband, and Meyer.

Bruce told Snook that her former daughter-in-law told her back in 2013 that she would "take Zach down and take Urban Meyer down with him."

Carano, the estranged mother of Courtney Smith, reportedly told Snook in text messages that she doesn't believe Zach Smith ever "intentionally swung or punched" or "intentionally abused" her daughter.

Asked by Snook if she ever heard her daughter vow to "take Zach down," Carano replied, "yes.">>

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...r_zach_sm.html

My hunch is that what Meyer is guilty of, in deference to his mentor Earl Bruce, is keeping Zach Smith in a very well-paying job in order to support Bruce's grandchildren and Courtney Smith. Many Ohio State fans didn't believe Zach Smith was a very good receiver coach (check out Michael Thomas' record at Ohio State versus in the NFL, where some consider him the best receiver in the NFL), but a very good recruiter. Courtney Smith likely wanted the financial resources that Ohio State provided her and her children, or she would have filed charges against Zach Smith years ago.

Note that Courtney Smith didn't turn on Meyer until he was finally fired Zach Smith, thereby changing the likely financial lifeline for the Smith family, including Courtney Smith. It's possible that Courtney Smith was trying this year to get their custody agreement modified, but didn't actually expect to get Zach Smith fired. If she had wanted Smith fired, she could have pressed charges over many years.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-23-2018 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:47 AM

Click on the last .pdf file here for the summary of the Ohio State report on the Zach Smith firing. Read this report, prepared by independent counsel, and even Meyer's alleged lies are put in a context much different than reported by the media.

<<After learning, on the morning of July 23, 2018, of the reports about the domestic violence civil protection order issued against Zach Smith on July 20, 2018, and after consulting with AD Gene Smith, Coach Meyer, who was in Chicago for the Big Ten Media Days event the next day, decided to fire Zach Smith. AD Gene Smith, who understood the difficulties of a divorce, was initially considering obtaining counseling for Zach Smith, but did not object to Coach Meyer’s decision to terminate him. Meyer told us that his primary reason for firing Zach Smith was because he failed to bring both the order of protection and the criminal trespass matters to his attention, and instead Meyer heard about them from news and social media reports; Coach Meyer considered these failures to be violations of the core value of honesty. >>

Meyer should have listened more carefully to Athletic Director Gene Smith's advice.

<<Thereafter, still during the evening of July 23, 2018, Meyer received additional media reports discussing Zach Smith’s 2009 arrest and a “felony arrest” involving Zach Smith in 2015; at 10:25 p.m., Coach Meyer sent a message to Gene Smith, Jerry Emig, the Assistant Director, Athletic Communications, Brian Voltolini, Director of Football Operations, and Ryan Stamper, Director, Player Development, stating “I know nothing about this”; he asked “Is there a way to find out exactly what his issues were. I know about 2009 [it was dropped] and last week. That’s it. Need some guidance here so when I speak to media I’m not wrong.” Later that evening, Stamper reported to Meyer that there was no record of Zach Smith being arrested in 2015, only records of a divorce. Meyer acknowledged this, stating “Stamp just confirmed there was no arrest in 2015.” As the same text chain continued into the morning of July 24, 2018, AD Smith cautioned “I would be careful. Do not get too detailed.” He went on to advise that whatever Coach Meyer says on this subject at Big Ten Media Days should be said in his opening statement “and take no more questions on it.” Gene Smith also suggested the following remarks for Meyer for Big Ten Media Days: “As you are aware through our release, we have made a change in our wide receivers coaching position. As Zach dealt with his personal challenge I was aware of two legal instances in 2009 and 2015. This most recent issue is inconsistent with our values. . . . Needs to be cleaned up in your words…..just a thought.” Meyer responds “Thx.” Emig, the Athletic Communications Director, followed up at 7:26 a.m. on July 24th saying “[t]hose are good points” and recommending that Meyer, with respect to the events of 2015, state “[t]here were no charges in 2015 and I really don’t even recall any details.” Meyer does not respond. >>

https://news.osu.edu/public-records-...g-urban-meyer/

Old 08-23-2018, 02:02 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,082,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
No surprise. It's OSU.
They have fired multiple coaches, so imo he was good as gone from day 1. So to me it actually was a surprise

Old 08-23-2018, 04:50 AM

352 posts, read 127,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Yeah, that's retarded. He recruited a murderer to play for him at Florida. How would THIS ruin his legacy?
So, you're a flat earther. Okay....

Last edited by Tractor Face; 08-23-2018 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Reinstated with 3 game suspension

gene smith also suspended
My significant other doesn't follow football at all and this came up in conversation just the other day.

I told her that with Ohio states "atmosphere aimed at doing whatever it takes to win" that there is no way they'd get rid of Urban for this and that he'd get a few games suspension.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:09 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My significant other doesn't follow football at all and this came up in conversation just the other day.

I told her that with Ohio states "atmosphere aimed at doing whatever it takes to win" that there is no way they'd get rid of Urban for this and that he'd get a few games suspension.
Unfortunately, there are way too many other institutions of "higher learning" which think along the same lines. Winning at all costs seems to be their method of operation, and they will defend their bottom line as vigorously as they can.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Unfortunately, there are way too many other institutions of "higher learning" which think along the same lines. Winning at all costs seems to be their method of operation, and they will defend their bottom line as vigorously as they can.
Well, the masses want their college sports and they're passionate about it. As long as they keep the fake classes, prostitutes, cash payoffs and other stuff mostly concealed the fans are willing to turn a blind eye as long as they're winning.

We all know what would have happened to him instead if the team was coming off a pair of 8-6 seasons.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Quote:
Well, the masses want their college sports and they're passionate about it. As long as they keep the fake classes, prostitutes, cash payoffs and other stuff mostly concealed the fans are willing to turn a blind eye as long as they're winning.

We all know what would have happened to him instead if the team was coming off a pair of 8-6 seasons.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 AM

3,569 posts, read 856,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
They have fired multiple coaches, so imo he was good as gone from day 1. So to me it actually was a surprise
But those coaches (Earl Bruce and John Cooper) were fired because they didn't win enough. Except for Woody Hayes, who punched a player from opposing team on national TV...he HAD to be fired.

Jim Tressel wasn't fired, he resigned... he was in hot water for not handling the situation of players selling things.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Crap.

Ohio State canned Jim Tressel, who won a national championship, after he lied to the Ohio State administration and to the NCAA about a player getting free tattoos.

<<Tressel resigned as Ohio State's head football coach on May 30, 2011.[45] Three days earlier, Sports Illustrated reported that it had found evidence that the memorabilia-for-tattoos scandal dated back to at least the 2002 national championship season, and as many as 28 players were involved. Early on the morning of Memorial Day, Gee and Smith called Tressel back from his vacation in Florida and asked for his resignation.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tr...nd_resignation

Compare this with the massive academic scandal at North Carolina, where Roy Williams still is the head basketball coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...hletic_scandal

Most importantly, I've never seen any accusations that Ohio State doesn't educate its athletes. In fact, Meyer reportedly places a rigorous attention on academics and life outside of football.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...cademic_1.html

Last edited by WRnative; 08-23-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football