U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:57 PM

3,569 posts, read 854,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Shame. I watched a Las Vegas Law episode that asked a victim why she didn't report it when it happened to her. (The guy was now being prosecuted for doing it to his current girlfriend.) She said she was ashamed to have her family and friends know what was happening.

I was raised in an era that always blamed the woman. She must have done something wrong or he wouldn't have to beat her. So you kept quiet so other people wouldn't know that you were such a bad person that makes men have to rough you up.

That is changing but reading comments here and on yahoo articles, there are still plenty of people who believe that.
Yes, I was a child in the 1950s-60s. Shame & embarrassment also factor in. Women rarely had jobs that could support the family. ("If he's in jail who will feed the family and keep a roof over our heads?")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,868,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The photos of her injuries are pretty clear evidence, plus his admission of abusing her belie any denials of what he is. He is a scumbag, so the domestic violence semantics don’t wash with anyone outside the buckeye world.
Those injuries were never adjudicated. In any respect, her injuries were not consistent with a wife "beating," as you claimed, and Smith's wife never said that he hit her.

The single Zach Smith e-mail that I read would not necessarily be sufficient of convicting Smith of abuse IMO. Post a link to the e-mail that you saw that was so incriminating.

If Smith's attorney is correct, Courtney Smith deliberately set up her ex-husband in order to make the trespass charge that resulted in Smith's firing and which he will address in court. Why didn't she show up at the pre-arranged meeting place to pick up her son? Why was she waiting with a cellphone and a friend when Zach Smith dropped their son off in her driveway? How do you expect a judge to rule on this if the facts are as represented by Zach Smith's attorney? What does this say about the credibility of Courtney Smith's other charges and her mental state. IMO, these were two troubled individuals and a very troubled marriage.

Don't get me wrong, I would have fired Zach Smith, and I'm disappointed he was ever hired. Heck, I think Smith's employment perhaps cost Ohio State at least some Big Ten championships.

I just don't like persons who play loose with the facts and call a person a wife "beater" when that charge isn't on the table, and who vilify Meyer let alone Ohio State for protecting wife beaters when that simply was not the case. There are all sorts of scumbags loose in the world, and especially on social media websites.

It's pretty clear that there is an issue with Courtney Smith when even her estranged mother believes that she was intent on destroying Zach Smith's career.

The independent outside report didn't discuss this reality, but I would be shocked if Meyer wasn't worried what would happen to the Smiths' children (and Earl Bruce's grandchildren) if their father Zach Smith no longer had a cushy job, and perhaps wasn't even employable. Of course, that isn't a concern to libelers intent on defaming Meyer and Ohio State.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
I would encourage everyone to read the 23-page report before you form an opinion about the decision. It's not a dull read. It would be easy to cherry-pick the details and support any possible outcome, and that's exactly what i expect the national sports media to do for the next few days. Don't settle for spoon-fed details, read the whole thing.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:20 PM

3,569 posts, read 854,069 times
Regarding the statement upthread that Courtney was/is intent on destroying Zach's career - if he has no career he can't pay child support (and alimony if that applies), so that doesn't make sense. Just sayin'

Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Regarding the statement upthread that Courtney was/is intent on destroying Zach's career - if he has no career he can't pay child support (and alimony if that applies), so that doesn't make sense. Just sayin'
Good point. Except that her trespass trap, as described by Zach Smith's attorney, did just that.

If she wants sole custody of the children, so that she would be free to leave Zach Smith behind, perhaps to pursue a relationship with another person, then it makes more sense.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,827,564 times
I have no doubt that Urban Meyer failed to act as fast as possible just like Art Briles of Baylor or JoePa at Penn State

Violence of any kind should never be tolerated

The problem with firing Urban is the affect on college football. Alabama already wins and dominates so firing another rival/good coach is just going to help college football be more predictable.

We can’t just fire every single coach in college football

Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I have no doubt that Urban Meyer failed to act as fast as possible just like Art Briles of Baylor or JoePa at Penn State

Violence of any kind should never be tolerated
These are pathetically bad comparisons. Meyer did nothing to cover up rapes (Briles) or to enable the continued predatory behavior of a pedophile (Paterno). To imply otherwise is disgusting IMO. There is NO evidence that Meyer tolerated violence. In fact, Meyer told Smith, according to the internal report, that if he ever hit Courtney Smith that he would be fired. Zach Smith always maintained that he pushed Courtney Smith away in self-defense, although I would agree that bruises on the neck are disturbing, if Zach Smith was responsible for those bruises.

What is clear that Meyer, likely to his own professional detriment, employed the grandson of his mentor and thereby provided the Smiths and their children with a lifestyle far above what may otherwise have been available to them. I haven't seen this obvious consideration discussed in the media. This was great for Earl Bruce and the Smiths, but very problematic for Ohio State, Urban Meyer's employer.

Urban Meyer had no certainty that there had been any abuse, although it was clear that there was a physical altercation of some sort in 2009. Courtney Smith NEVER pursued charges against Zach Smith. She apparently was content with whatever share of Zach Smith's salary ended up supporting her and their children. Should employers fire any person, whether man or woman, accused of abuse by a spouse with no substantial evidence of what had transpired??? Should employers investigate every charge and essentially adjudicate such charges, even when the complaining spouse has NOT pursued available legal recourse, perhaps because there is not sufficient evidence of abuse? I've read NOTHING to indicate that Courtney Smith ever required medical attention as a result of her physical altercations with Zach Smith, who claims he merely was defending himself. I will say that Zach Smith's actions towards his wife were disgusting (bringing a drunken girl friend home while she was pregnant) and I can understand her disdain for him.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith had all of the facts that Meyer possessed about the 2015 incident, and he had no certainty that there had been any abuse. The independent report clearly states this fact. Yet Meyer/Ohio State critics are certain that abuse took place in 2015 based solely on claims by Courtney Smith that she declined to pursue in court where evidentiary rules would have been applied? Why is the media ignoring the suspect circumstances that reflect very poorly on Courtney Smith, if Zach Smith's account is accurate, regarding the 2018 trespass charge (but not conviction) that ultimately led to Zach Smith's firing???

Courtney Smith did not accuse the Meyers (Urban and wife Shelley) of wrong-doing until AFTER Zach Smith was fired. She has foolishly burned some valuable relationships that she may well need in coming years.

What bothers many in Ohio is that Meyer brought Zach Smith to Ohio State knowing of Smith's problems at Florida, and especially when Zach Smith may not have had superb credentials as a receiver coach. It's not clear to me that Zach Smith even played football at the collegiate level. BTW, Urban Meyer's son-in-law is on the Ohio State staff, but he apparently was a wide receiver at Georgia Tech.

It's interesting that the sports media is totally ignoring Zach Smith's professional qualifications to be the Ohio State receivers coach and earn $340,000 annually, likely more than some well-qualified Division I head coaches. Ohio State should be concerned not only about Zach Smith's actions while an employee, but also whether he was a employee qualified to receive that large compensation package bestowed upon him (not only his salary, but certainly many tens of thousands of benefits annually including employer contributions to Ohio's public employee pension plan).

This is a somewhat fair article by Sports Illustrated, but I'm not certain what was objectionable about Zach Smith having sexual relations with an Ohio State football secretary if the affair occurred after he was divorced (this isn't clear based on my readings). Sexual relationships among single employees of the same employer are not at all uncommon in the U.S., and only are deemed problematic (if then) when one employee is subordinate to another one, which reportedly was not the case with Zach Smith and the other football program employee.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...-investigation

Again, contrary to some media reports, and certainly posts in this thread, there is NO evidence or even a claim that Zach Smith beat his wife.

Media critics of Meyer and Ohio State NEVER discuss Courtney Smith's actions, especially those of this past May. If Zach Smith's attorney is correct, and Courtney Smith deliberately set him up in order to have a trespass charge filed when he simply dropped off their child when she failed to show up at a pre-arranged meeting place, why did she do this???

We're in a different era where any woman's charges against a man are deemed reliable and honest, even when there is substantial reason to believe that this is not the case. Employers have no clear guidance as to how to proceed in the absence of legal adjudication. It's a new world, and in many respects, a much better one, but in this case there is no evidence of significant physical abuse that I've seen, and it's unclear about the circumstances of the physical altercations.

Again, if you had followed coverage of Ohio State for the past few years, many persons wondered why Zach Smith was retained given the underperformance of Ohio State's receivers. Everybody assumed, apparently correctly, that it was the fact that Smith was Earl Bruce's grandson, and likely, in the mind of Meyer, the sole means of support of Bruce's great-grandchildren (the Smith children).

Competitively, Ohio State has replaced Zach Smith with Brian Hartline, likely a massive upgrade in the Ohio State coaching staff. If I'm correct in this regard, the Zach Smith firing may put Ohio State in a much better position to compete for a national title this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hartline

Last edited by WRnative; 08-23-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 AM

8,374 posts, read 8,366,401 times
Snook, is that you?

Defending Urban's coverup with the laughable denials of the facts is the same as it is for Briles, JoPa, & the rest of the win at any cost lying dirtbags.

Those coaches & schools have no shame apparently.

And yes, coaches like them should be fired. Urban won't be, because he coaches at a championship level. What an embarrassment he is.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Defending Urban's coverup with the laughable denials of the facts is the same as it is for Briles, JoPa, & the rest of the win at any cost lying dirtbags.
What "facts did I get wrong?" Unlike your claim that Zach Smith beat his wife, a total inaccuracy, I've documented all of my statements.

Your libelous comments about Meyer and Ohio State are shameful, but anybody who has spent anytime on C-D or other social media well recognizes the mentality of those who gain some personal gratification by maligning others with no justification.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM

1,900 posts, read 803,890 times
Now urban Meyer is getting criticized for not apologizing to the coaches wife. So basically has to apologize for not firing her husband and making him unemployed. Sorry for not taking food out of your kids and your mouth! That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football