U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Now urban Meyer is getting criticized for not apologizing to the coaches wife. So basically has to apologize for not firing her husband and making him unemployed. Sorry for not taking food out of your kids and your mouth! That makes no sense.
It was prompted by an article in the Columbus Dispatch where family violence experts complained that Urban and Gene Smith "apologized to the wrong constituency."

Ohio State's Meyer, Smith 'apologized to wrong constituency,' domestic violence experts say - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 12:46 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,868,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It was prompted by an article in the Columbus Dispatch where family violence experts complained that Urban and Gene Smith "apologized to the wrong constituency."

Ohio State's Meyer, Smith 'apologized to wrong constituency,' domestic violence experts say - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH
The presumption of many in the media is that an employer has an obligation to terminate any employee -- male or female -- merely charged with spousal abuse. In the case of Courtney Smith, to my knowledge, she NEVER sought medical treatment, nor claimed that Zach Smith hit her. Should employers adjudicate every claim of spousal abuse, even when there have been no criminal or civil proceedings?

I agree that Meyer and Ohio State should have said explicitly that they don't condone violence or spousal abuse, but exactly what were they supposed to apologize to Courtney Smith about, when they had little evidence that they she had suffered spousal abuse while Zach Smith was employed at Ohio State. The evidence is overwhelming that Courtney Smith did recognize the financial rewards of Zach Smith's continued employment, and only cried foul after her ex-husband was terminated, and after her financial condition had now been impaired materially.

Meyer did owe an apology to Ohio State and the Ohio State community for continuing to employ Zach Smith, given the totality of Zach Smith's performance and actions, and I guess he somewhat made that apology.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:22 AM

Default Urban Meyer apologizes to Courtney Smith

Sad. It's not clear what Meyer is apologizing for, and none of the media critics are explicitly explaining why Meyer should be apologizing to Courtney Smith. None of them note the millions of dollars that Meyer bestowed on the Smiths and their children by continuing to employ Zach Smith to the detriment of the Ohio State football program.

Urban Meyer of Ohio State Buckeyes issues apology to Courtney Smith

In the future, any smart football coach or other supervisor, will turn over even any suggestions of spousal abuse, other abuse, or any physical violence to an appropriate compliance department and then allow them to deal with the issues.

Times have changed.

Pity the small business owner, however.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:42 AM

8,721 posts, read 7,676,702 times
I don't really get why this is Urban Meyer's problem?

Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 AM

107 posts, read 35,132 times
Default supervisor task

I am happy that I am not a supervisor. I think it's going too far. I don't care about Urban's response, this was a law enforcement issue. I'm a firm believer in separation of home and work life. In today's world those lines are blurred.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,768,700 times
I think it is interesting that people care more about going after Urban Meyer then the person who may have actually committed the crime. It is almost like they think he did it. I am not even defending Meyer if he knew something he should have told someone but it seems a bit of a witch hunt.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:16 PM

Default Mother of Ohio State recruit & domestic abuse survivor reacts to Meyer attacks

<<Kristina Miller, mother of five-star center pledge Harry Miller, has a unique perspective on the matter. A survivor of domestic abuse, she has been paying close attention to the investigation and every article written on the matter. >>

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...or-urban-meyer

Old 08-25-2018, 11:17 PM

Default "Falling on the sword"

Athletic Director Gene Williams' personal attorney chimes in with his take of the Zach Smith story at Ohio State:

<<The biggest problem in this OSU matter is the rush to judgment and the erroneous reporting of details by some irresponsible media and the amateur reporting of false information on social media. So, as a lawyer deeply involved in the investigation on behalf of Gene Smith, I am compelled to simply state the facts.

The investigation was commenced to determine 2 issues: did OSU cover-up domestic violence and did Urban lie to the media in furtherance of a cover-up. After an exhaustive investigation that involved 40 witness interviews and thousands of documents, the investigators who were searching for information to enable them to answer these questions yes, answered them both NO. >>

Here's some exculpatory information about the 2015 incident that I didn't remember from the independent report (it's there, however), and certainly haven't read this in any media report:

<<But to justify the 500k investigation, you have to find something. The facts established that Gene Smith learned fo the 2015 allegations and immediately pulled Urban off the practice field to inform him and ordered the Assistant back to Columbus not to Ohio State but to go directly to the Powell police to answer their questions.

He [Gene Smith] then discussed the matter with the Title XI Compliance Official and Public Safety liaison and Human Resources and he ordered OSU police and OSU officials to monitor the Powell investigation. No OSU official can interfere in a criminal investigation or take steps to make it appear they are influencing an investigation. Powell concluded there was no evidence to support the allegations and we now know this person [Courtney Smith] made false reports on other ocassions. >>

So Smith did report the 2015 abuse allegation to the outside compliance officials (a fact that was contained in the independent report but not reported by the media in their efforts to accuse Meyer of a cover-up)! And the outside attorney did what neither Meyer, Smith or Ohio State was in a position to do -- question the integrity of Courtney Smith.

<<And try as they might investigators could not find any evidence that Urban lied to anyone. They concede that Urban was confused by the question and thought he was being asked the same thing he was asked the day before when someone suggested Zach Smith had been “arrested” for domestic violence which to this day has never occurred.>>

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...y-dearly-loved

And nobody from Ohio State, let alone Urban Meyer, ever will discuss why I and others believe that Zach Smith was hired by Ohio State and why Meyer retained him -- in respect of, or as a favor to his mentor Earle Bruce, Meyer decided to provide Zach Smith, Bruce's grandson, with the financial resources to support Smith's family, including now ex-wife Courtney Smith and their two children.

Urban Meyer must be dismayed that Courtney Smith, who surely understood the gesture, decided to turn on him and create this controversy by releasing e-mails and pictures to an online reporter.

If Urban Meyer were to discuss the actual reason for Meyer's hiring and continued employment of Zach Smith, it would have become more obvious what many already knew -- Meyer at any time could have employed a less difficult and more accomplished wide receiver coach than Zach Smith.

<<Bruce was Meyer's mentor in coaching, and nearly a second father in his professional and personal life. Bruce was Smith's grandfather. To know how Meyer felt about Bruce is to understand that Meyer viewed Bruce as family. That made Smith family.

Smith would not have been Ohio State's receivers coach, would not have followed Meyer his entire career, if he hadn't been Bruce's grandson....

Everything about Smith's career is tied to Meyer, by way of his grandfather. Through odd Twitter rants, through starting social media fights with Michigan, through a lack of production from the receivers at time, Smith remained tied to Meyer....

A core principle that Meyer espouses in his program is no tolerance for violence toward women. Everything that goes for players, who are unpaid teenagers, goes double for highly-paid adults.

Still, you wondered if there was an explanation among the allegations that could lead to Ohio State keeping Smith. Again, he's never been charged with a domestic assault crime....

I thought Smith at times poorly represented Ohio State over the years and at times performed less than adequately in his coaching duties, though he seemed to recruit well. I thought based on that Smith could have been fired before. When the offense struggled in 2016, I lumped Smith in with Ed Warinner and Tim Beck as offensive coaches not getting the job done.

Warinner and Beck weren't back the next year. Smith was.>>

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0..._grandson.html

This column was written immediately after Smith's firing, and before the ensuing firestorm that engulfed Meyer, athletic director Gene Smith and Ohio State.

I even wonder if Earle Bruce were still alive, if Meyer would have fired Smith in July, as Meyer perhaps believes that he owes his career to Earle Bruce.

<<Earle Bruce likes to tell the story of when Urban Meyer was mulling over Bowling Green's offer to be the program's next head coach. Meyer's inclination was to turn down the job.

Then he called Bruce, the former Ohio State coach who's been a mentor for Meyer ever since Bruce gave Meyer his first college coaching job with the Buckeyes in 1986.

"When he said he was gonna turn down the Bowling Green job, I said, 'You can't turn down the Bowling Green job, that's a stepping stone to something great.' And it was. You have to take a little chance," Bruce told Northeast Ohio Media Group last week.

Meyer taking the Bowling Green job [Meyer's first head coaching gig] in 2001 was a leap of faith, one that's paid off handsomely.>>

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2015/0...d_earle_b.html

As you can see, many astute Ohio State football fans may actually believe that this controversy was worth the price in order to finally be rid of Zach Smith as Ohio State's wide receiver coach, especially as he has been replaced by Brian Hartline, a very accomplished wide receiver at both Ohio State and in the NFL, who may prospectively have the chomps to some day become Ohio State's head football coach.

I can only wonder what Courtney Smith was thinking when she forced Meyer to cut the Zach Smith financial pipeline, especially as she was divorced and apparently rid of Zach Smith in her life apart from the custody relationship. Unless she soon will be married to another breadwinner, life could change drastically for her and her children. Courtney Smith's decision process is perhaps the greatest untold part of this saga.

Remember that Zach Smith's firing resulted not from any new charges of abuse, but from Smith not telling Meyer about a trespassing charge from this past spring, an incident that Zach Smith's attorney says was orchestrated by Courtney Smith when Zach Smith dropped a child off in her driveway when she did show up at an agreed meeting place. This trespassing charge apparently actually will be adjudicated in court and the outcome will be very interesting; after this controversy, if Zach Smith's representation of the events is accurate, I would be surprised if Zach Smith will waive his day in court. Except that a key witness in this case will be his son, and it's very difficult to put a child in the middle of a "he said, she said" parental dispute, especially in court in a highly charged case.

Also, not considered by the media, this incident likely will have considerable impact in the future on the treatment of employees charged with physical abuse, whether the accused employee is charged or not, and whether the charges are adjudicated in the courts or not. I wonder if women will be less reluctant in the future to seek intervention by authorities even if abuse is present if the likelihood exists that their husband's career will be terminated and with it the financial support for the family, especially if children are involved. Or some women, especially if financial support or children are not an issue, may use false charges to gain revenge against a partner or spouse.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-26-2018 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Zach Smith's brother emphasizes that Smith didn't "beat" wife

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...yes-121048037/

Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I don't think Zach's brother did him any favors there. I'm sure most of them are fine, upstanding citizens. Their predicament needs time to simmer down, not another member of it stirring the pot and trying to convince us that Zach is a good guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football