U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:41 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,898,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We’ve all seen the pictures of the abused wife and his admission that he choked her, so why are you trying to defend that scumbag?
Zach Smith yesterday:

<<It is very hard to be silent when falsehoods & half-truths are said about you and there is no way to defend yourself. I’ve made mistakes in my life but being a domestic abuser is not one of them!>>

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1593856

Zach Smith emphasizes the harm inflicted on his children by the media storm, but interestingly never directly mentions the loss of financial resources by the family. BTW, there may be several inaccuracies in the following story (e.g., I've never read that Zach Smith made a court appearance on July 18), but I'm tired of researching this issue. The article does present some detailed responses by Smith to the domestic abuse allegations, such as the following interview response, which is why I linked the article.

<<“We had a toxic relationship, we had a volatile relationship,” he said in an interview on “SportsCenter.” “There was aggression in the relationship, but anything I ever did was a defensive action, and was simply to restrain her or to remove myself from the situation, which I did probably eight times in our marriage, where I would try and calm it down, try to get it to not be an aggressive situation, where I would go to my car and drive to work and sleep at work just to get out of the situation.”>>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.778fb0f6a53e

Based on my knowledge of libel laws, Brett McMurphy and The Stadium, may face some liability for its reporting of this story, thereby ironically contributing to the support of the Smiths and their children. E.g., did McMurphy give Zach Smith an opportunity to refute the allegations before publishing them? Were any of McMurphy statements inaccurate (somebody reported incorrectly that Zach Smith had been arrested in May 2015; I don't know if that was McMurphy)?

Let me emphasize that I'm not trying to defend Zach Smith, and I have no idea about the nature of the physical altercations between Smith and his ex-wife. What I've objected to are the falsehoods posted repeatedly in this thread, and, surprisingly to me, in the mainstream media (especially the pervasive and apparently false "beating" allegations), and the complete failure of the media to explain Urban Meyer's motives in continuing to employ Zach Smith despite his problematic character and performance as Ohio State's receive coach -- the desire to provide financial support to the family of Zach Smith, the grandson of his Meyer's great mentor Earle Bruce, including particularly Bruce's two great-grandchildren. And my reading of Meyer's "apology" to and comments regarding Courtney Smith, is that Meyer, without directly saying so, is most sorry about "the situation" that has forced Meyer to fire Zach Smith and sever the financial lifeline.

As well explained in the Ohio State independent investigation report, Meyer, contrary to charges in this thread and in the media, never hid the 2015 alleged abuse incident from Ohio State compliance officials, who actually reported the abuse incident to first athletic director Gene Smith, who then contacted Urban Meyer. Ohio State was never given access to the 2015 Powell police reports, based on my reading, and actually there is no evidence that Meyer was aware of the specific nature of Courtney Smith's allegations, if indeed Meyer's wife didn't share the content of Courtney Smith's email with him. Meyer's big mistake, apart from hiring and continuing to employ Zach Smith, was saying anything detailed about the 2015 incident at Big Ten Media Days, as the incident was fluid at the time, and he really wasn't on top of all of the details, as evidenced not only by his statements, but also by his communications with Ohio State officials on the evening before the Big Ten Media Day presentation, as detailed in the Ohio State independent investigation report. See post 92. If Meyer had followed the advice of athletic director Gene Smith and other Ohio State communication officials as to what to say during his presentation, much of this controversy would have been avoided IMO.

Given my take on this situation, as explained above, I believe that Meyer has been unfairly vilified by the likes of ESPN and USA Today commentators, let alone posters in this thread, who never have focused on, likely never even mentioned, the financial impact on Earle Bruce's great grandchildren, which I suspect was Meyer's primary concern in this "situation," as Meyer referred to this controversy.

I also suspect that Meyer's real motivations in retaining Zach Smith are known or obvious to Ohio State's administrators and Board of Trustees, but they have to offset this motivation with concern over the obvious damage done to Ohio State's overall reputation, athletic department, and even football program, by Meyer's decision to hire and then retain a problematic and likely underqualified (compared to other coaches on the extremely well-paid Ohio State football coaching staff) coach on his staff.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-30-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 AM

Powell, Ohio, police report narrative detailing Courtney Smith allegations against Zach Smith anonymously mailed to the Columbus Dispatch (Buckeye Xtra is a Dispatch Ohio State sports news service):

Report details allegations of longtime abuse by Zach Smith - News - Buckeye Xtra - Columbus, OH

I've read nothing indicating that this Powell police department report was available to Ohio State compliance officials investigating the 2015 incident, let alone athletic director Gene Smith or Meyer, until its unauthorized release to the Dispatch this week. And, once again, Brad Koffel, Zach Smith's attorney, denies the allegations made by Courtney Smith to the Powell police department, according to the above Dispatch article.

<<“At some point in time, the exculpatory evidence outweighed the incriminating allegations,” Koffel said.>>

Last edited by WRnative; 08-30-2018 at 04:19 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 PM

231 posts, read 261,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Zach Smith yesterday:

<<It is very hard to be silent when falsehoods & half-truths are said about you and there is no way to defend yourself. I’ve made mistakes in my life but being a domestic abuser is not one of them!>>

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1593856

Zach Smith emphasizes the harm inflicted on his children by the media storm, but interestingly never directly mentions the loss of financial resources by the family. BTW, there may be several inaccuracies in the following story (e.g., I've never read that Zach Smith made a court appearance on July 18), but I'm tired of researching this issue. The article does present some detailed responses by Smith to the domestic abuse allegations, such as the following interview response, which is why I linked the article.

<<“We had a toxic relationship, we had a volatile relationship,” he said in an interview on “SportsCenter.” “There was aggression in the relationship, but anything I ever did was a defensive action, and was simply to restrain her or to remove myself from the situation, which I did probably eight times in our marriage, where I would try and calm it down, try to get it to not be an aggressive situation, where I would go to my car and drive to work and sleep at work just to get out of the situation.”>>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.778fb0f6a53e

Based on my knowledge of libel laws, Brett McMurphy and The Stadium, may face some liability for its reporting of this story, thereby ironically contributing to the support of the Smiths and their children. E.g., did McMurphy give Zach Smith an opportunity to refute the allegations before publishing them? Were any of McMurphy statements inaccurate (somebody reported incorrectly that Zach Smith had been arrested in May 2015; I don't know if that was McMurphy)?

Let me emphasize that I'm not trying to defend Zach Smith, and I have no idea about the nature of the physical altercations between Smith and his ex-wife. What I've objected to are the falsehoods posted repeatedly in this thread, and, surprisingly to me, in the mainstream media (especially the pervasive and apparently false "beating" allegations), and the complete failure of the media to explain Urban Meyer's motives in continuing to employ Zach Smith despite his problematic character and performance as Ohio State's receive coach -- the desire to provide financial support to the family of Zach Smith, the grandson of his Meyer's great mentor Earle Bruce, including particularly Bruce's two great-grandchildren. And my reading of Meyer's "apology" to and comments regarding Courtney Smith, is that Meyer, without directly saying so, is most sorry about "the situation" that has forced Meyer to fire Zach Smith and sever the financial lifeline.

As well explained in the Ohio State independent investigation report, Meyer, contrary to charges in this thread and in the media, never hid the 2015 alleged abuse incident from Ohio State compliance officials, who actually reported the abuse incident to first athletic director Gene Smith, who then contacted Urban Meyer. Ohio State was never given access to the 2015 Powell police reports, based on my reading, and actually there is no evidence that Meyer was aware of the specific nature of Courtney Smith's allegations, if indeed Meyer's wife didn't share the content of Courtney Smith's email with him. Meyer's big mistake, apart from hiring and continuing to employ Zach Smith, was saying anything detailed about the 2015 incident at Big Ten Media Days, as the incident was fluid at the time, and he really wasn't on top of all of the details, as evidenced not only by his statements, but also by his communications with Ohio State officials on the evening before the Big Ten Media Day presentation, as detailed in the Ohio State independent investigation report. See post 92. If Meyer had followed the advice of athletic director Gene Smith and other Ohio State communication officials as to what to say during his presentation, much of this controversy would have been avoided IMO.

Given my take on this situation, as explained above, I believe that Meyer has been unfairly vilified by the likes of ESPN and USA Today commentators, let alone posters in this thread, who never have focused on, likely never even mentioned, the financial impact on Earle Bruce's great grandchildren, which I suspect was Meyer's primary concern in this "situation," as Meyer referred to this controversy.

I also suspect that Meyer's real motivations in retaining Zach Smith are known or obvious to Ohio State's administrators and Board of Trustees, but they have to offset this motivation with concern over the obvious damage done to Ohio State's overall reputation, athletic department, and even football program, by Meyer's decision to hire and then retain a problematic and likely underqualified (compared to other coaches on the extremely well-paid Ohio State football coaching staff) coach on his staff.
Urban has definitely been vilified, crucified and hung out to dry. He doesn’t deserve this.
Reasonable minds will disagree forever on the Zach/Courtney he said, she said. But her credibility sunk when we learned her own mother contradicted her allegations.
The financial ramifications probably haven’t hit yet but the children’s father is probably unemployable as a coach. Courtney will have regrets when the financial support orders are amended and her income is drastically reduced. Her children will suffer in many ways.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 PM

354 posts, read 130,325 times
God, so many self righteous, perfect people in this thread. Everyone wants to blame the coach. How about blaming the guy that supposedly hit his wife.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
God, so many self righteous, perfect people in this thread. Everyone wants to blame the coach. How about blaming the guy that supposedly hit his wife.
Again, there is no evidence that Zach Smith ever hit his wife. I've seen no claim by Courtney Smith, his ex-wife, that Zach Smith ever hit her. And I've seen no evidence that Courtney Smith ever required medical attention as a result of spousal abuse.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 PM

Default OSU trustee resigns over Meyer; Meyer attorney said he did not delete messages from his cellphone or change the settings

Thursday developments include the resignation of a trustee who said he was the only trustee desiring a harsher punishment for Meyer.

<<He told the New York Times on Thursday that he was the ″lone voice″ of dissent in advocating for a harsher punishment of Meyer.>>

And Meyer's attorney denied that Meyer had deleted any messages or changed his cellphone settings (perhaps his cellphone had already been set to delete messages over a year old.

<<In other developments Thursday, Urban Meyer’s lead attorney in the investigation that led to his suspension said Meyer did not delete text messages or alter the settings on his cellphone after learning of reports of abuse allegations against Zach Smith.

“He did not delete any text messages, he did not delete at all,” attorney Karen A. Popp said.>>

Ohio State trustee resigns over Urban Meyer decision - News - Buckeye Xtra - Columbus, OH

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/s...ban-meyer.html

Inside the Ohio State Board of Trustees decision to retain Meyer, but suspend him:

<<While the board was in near agreement that Meyer and Gene Smith did not condone domestic violence nor deliberately ignore protocol in 2015, it felt that their handling of Zach Smith's other transgressions over his six years of employment -- shirking his job responsibilities, failure to report a DUI arrest, an affair with a football secretary among the missteps -- warranted some kind of discipline short of termination. >>

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...signs_say.html

Last edited by WRnative; 08-30-2018 at 11:27 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 PM

Default Hartline reportedly excels after taking over from Zach Smith

<<Hartline, 31, is a Canton native who helped Ohio State reach consecutive national championship games in 2006 and ’07. He then played seven years in the NFL, six with Miami and his final season with the Browns.

“He’s a really hands-on coach, really fiery,” senior receiver Terry McLaurin said. “He won’t accept anything less than our best — that goes from me down to our freshmen. He’s played the game and been in our shoes, and that’s encouraging to us as players because he has seen the game from our perspective. That’s new for us....”

Not surprisingly, the three receivers captains were more eager to talk about their excitement of the new year and new coach than about the ugly departure of Smith.

“I don’t want to go backward,” Campbell said. “The loss, we’re kind of moving on from it. Our focus is on being 1-0. We’re loving our coach and loving what we’re doing now.”>>

Ohio State receivers have smooth transition with Brian Hartline - Sports - Buckeye Xtra - Columbus, OH

The Buckeye passing attack could be very exciting in 2018 compared to years past.

<<“Everyone loves Coach Hartline,” Parris Campbell said. “He’s a very great coach. He’s very knowledgeable of the game.”

In the brief glimpses of practice that were open to the media during fall camp, Hartline’s energy and his hands-on approach to coaching were evident, and that has resonated with the Buckeyes’ wide receivers....

“Since he’s been at OSU, since he’s done what I’ve done, if he wants me to do something, if he tells me something that I need to do, he can go on the field and actually show me and I can see what it looks like,” Campbell said. “So it’s great. And for him to have skills, and for him to dominate at the next level, obviously, it’s easy to listen to a guy like that.”
>>

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...signs_say.html

Last edited by WRnative; 08-30-2018 at 11:57 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM

8,406 posts, read 8,400,887 times
Desperate times, desperate bs from the defenders.
Sad.

Just win at any cost!

But,but... Tom Herman went to a strip club with some coaches !

Lol @ the 3rd grade deflectors.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Desperate times, desperate bs from the defenders.
Sad.

Just win at any cost!

But,but... Tom Herman went to a strip club with some coaches !

Lol @ the 3rd grade deflectors.
Just pathetic. At least you've abandoned your repeated false charge that Zach Smith "beat" his wife and that Ohio State and Urban Meyer were defending a "wife beater."

Old 08-31-2018, 11:10 PM

Meyers issued a Friday statement clarifying why he was suspended:

<<Meyer said he wanted to clarify that he "was not suspended because I knew about or condoned (former wide receivers coach) Zach Smith's alleged domestic abuse," and also that he "did not lie at Big Ten Media Days." His fault, he said in his statement, "was in not taking action sooner against a troubled employee about his work-related issues." >>

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...s-in-statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football