U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:08 AM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,762,488 times
Reputation: 5197

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
In this case, the duty of reporting seems pretty clearly defined as sending it up the chain in a business sense. If you think you have a coach on your staff abusing someone, you tell your boss. Your boss then does with the info what they feel is appropriate. Urban, if he knew in 2015, should have told his boss. At that point, the employer can decide what course of action to take from there. It is easy to conclude that Urban might have a vested interest in not doing that, which is where some of the controversy is coming from now. We don't know what he knew or when he knew it, but clearly if he knew he should have reported. If it is found he knew and did not report, he should lose his job per his contract and NCAA rules.





not if the police is already involved....the police have the legal power, jurisdiction and subpoena powers to investigate abuse allegations and get to the bottom....the school administration don't.


so if the police and DA were involved and no charges were filed then what the hell they want the head coach to do? to fire coaches and players on just allegations that were reported to the police several times and no charges were filed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:10 AM
 
2,839 posts, read 1,778,457 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Meyer is the head coach of a college football team....he is the coach, recruiter, teacher, baby sitter, father/mother , counselor, friend to all the players and football staff.


if you have allegations of a marriage dispute and alleged abuse of an assistant coach that was already been reported and investigated by the police and no charges were filed what are you supposed to do as a head coach? report it to the police again based on her allegations? or fired him?




if we fired players and coaching staff on just allegations by an ex in a marriage dispute with NO charges filed and no conviction in court then there would be a lot of people fired in college and the NFL.
I think you are arguing with me.

Iím not attempting to Minimize his role on all those titles that you mention above. I was simply saying when Is it time to let others do what they do. I think the whole point behind the reporting requirement is to create an environment where bad things are brought to light and placing a legal duty on someone to inform those capable of handling the situation. The police were notified without knowing all the facts I kind of think the police did a bad job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:13 AM
 
2,839 posts, read 1,778,457 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not saying OSU can't recover. I'm saying that it's going to be open season on any commits Meyer has had so far. How often do you see a scandal erupt without decommitments?
Sure some will decommit probably at higher rate than what others will decommit from scandal free schools.

OSU has become a three year stopping ground for elite talent. Urban Meyer has had something to do with that as have some of his assistants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:16 AM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,762,488 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Your not supposed to report it to the police, but you are required to report it to the University so they can do a legally required Title IX investigation. This is a contractual requirement at pretty much every university, not just for the football coach, but for anyone who supervises either students or other employees.





so you are saying the university is above the police? his defense should be that the police were aware of the allegations and they investigated several times and no charges were filed and no arrests.





so why didn't the ex wife reported to the university if it was that important to her to get her ex husband fired? ........I think what was important for her was to get restraining order to put herself and her children in safety and get a divorce if her allegations are true......where her husband works or not is not a priority.




and the only way she can do that is by the police and court system.....the university or firing her ex are not going to give her protection or a divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:18 AM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,762,488 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I think you are arguing with me.

Iím not attempting to Minimize his role on all those titles that you mention above. I was simply saying when Is it time to let others do what they do. I think the whole point behind the reporting requirement is to create an environment where bad things are brought to light and placing a legal duty on someone to inform those capable of handling the situation. The police were notified without knowing all the facts I kind of think the police did a bad job



not arguing...LOL,,,,,making a point.




I don't know if the police did a bad job....I haven't seen the police report and what basis the DA had not to file charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
not if the police is already involved....the police have the legal power, jurisdiction and subpoena powers to investigate abuse allegations and get to the bottom....the school administration don't.


so if the police and DA were involved and no charges were filed then what the hell they want the head coach to do? to fire coaches and players on just allegations that were reported to the police several times and no charges were filed?
If you steal office supplies from work, you are probably not going to be arrested and prosecuted in a court of law. You do, however, open yourself up to your employer terminating you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 11:51 AM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,762,488 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you steal office supplies from work, you are probably not going to be arrested and prosecuted in a court of law. You do, however, open yourself up to your employer terminating you.



But the allegations didn't happen at work....it happened in a private home and the ex-wife doesn't work at the university. The proper jurisdiction to report this is the police and use the court system which includes social services if children are involved.



by the way, if you steal at work your management can contact the police and press charges. It has been done at my workplace....it depends on the amount.....if it's petty stuff well termination is the norm or suspension (depends how valuable you are and if your boss likes you a lot)....anything with a high amount (felony) and the police will get involved, usually the company wants to recover the money/merchandise back or part of it.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 08-02-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
But the allegations didn't happen at work....it happened in a private home and the ex-wife doesn't work at the university. The proper jurisdiction to report this is the police and use the court system which includes social services if children are involved.
If you want to run around in circles about this, pop back into the politics forum. The regulations on this situation are clearly defined. Urban Meyer coaches at Ohio State. Ohio State is a member of the NCAA. The rules state that Urban has an obligation to report these situations to his boss/bosses. If he knew about the 2015 allegations and did not report them, that is a fire-able offence. That is not debatable, and I don't think it requires further explanation to you. If you want to argue about what you think of the rule, that is a different discussion you'll need a different partner for.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
by the way, if you steal at work your management can contact the police and press charges. It has been done at my workplace....it depends on the amount.....if it's petty stuff well termination is the norm or suspension (depends how valuable you are and if your boss likes you a lot)....anything with a high amount (felony) and the police will get involved, usually the company wants to recover the money/merchandise back or part of it.
Use of the term "probably" in my post implies all the things you have outlined could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 PM
 
Location: USA
3,569 posts, read 855,745 times
Reputation: 4167
I'm in Columbus and grew up in smaller cities in the area - OSU football is a big deal here; always has been.

Telling the wife of abusive husband's boss and expecting her/him to....do what? hmmmm, I just don't know However, I realize the relationships in sports among coaches and their spouses is different than the corporate world. It's definitely a police matter.

If Urban Meyer lied when he said he only recently found out, they should fire him. They can't pay $6M+ to someone they can't trust.

Excellent coach, but......still...

Last edited by applej3; 08-02-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 PM
 
1,195 posts, read 877,810 times
Reputation: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so you are saying the university is above the police? his defense should be that the police were aware of the allegations and they investigated several times and no charges were filed and no arrests.





so why didn't the ex wife reported to the university if it was that important to her to get her ex husband fired? ........I think what was important for her was to get restraining order to put herself and her children in safety and get a divorce if her allegations are true......where her husband works or not is not a priority.




and the only way she can do that is by the police and court system.....the university or firing her ex are not going to give her protection or a divorce.
It doesn't matter that it is reported to police, Title IX of Federal Law requires the University's Title IX office to do its own investigation. The reasoning behind this is the University has an obligation to protect student from sexual and physical abuse from supervisors. Now, as of right now, all that has been clearly established is that he beat his wife, even when she was pregnant and had small kids around. As far as we know, he never abused any student interns or trainors or anybody else.

The issue with Meyer is he almost certainly heard the allegations, and even if they are just allegations, every university employee (at any university), who supervises students or other faculty/staff are required to report allegations of sexual harrassment, sexual violence,
or intimate partner violence either directly to the Title IX office or to their supervisor who then reports to the Title IX office. The issue here is that didn't happen, and Meyer seems to have a motive not to report.

You may not agree with federal Title IX, or OSU's (and pretty much every other university's) policies and procedures for implementing Title IX, but that's not going to hold up as a defense for violations. That being said, don't worry too much. This is OSU. Outside of several SEC programs and maybe a couple in the BigXII, there aren't many schools that are less likely to do the right thing and can the coach like they would any professor that had the same violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top