U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,765,099 times

Advertisements

i know from peronal expierence it is very difficult to get police involved in domestic problems . they always passed it of in my instantces as " awh !! ya`ll are just having a spat .. we wont write it up this time .. well two spats wound up with me in the emergency room .. first time with 8 stitches from an ashtray thrown at my head from across the room .. the second time from a frying pan blindsiding me and giving me a concussion ..multiple other times of me calling them to remove a screaming lunatic from my home .. her identification card shows my address so the law considers her living here .. she does not live here .. i went to a judge and pleaded with him to give me a protection order against her but the first thing out of his mouth was " do you have proof that this woman has done any harm to you ?" . you will have to prove it in court ... of course i dont because the law i called never charged her with anything or wrote any reports of such calls ...this woman is probably telling the truth otherwise why would she want want to leave her " cash cow ",
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 2,238,540 times
It seems to come down to "Did he know?". He has claimed that he did not know about the allegations in 2015 which would leave him in the clear. If nobody comes forward to say that they told him, I think he'll be OK. We don't know if his wife told him or not. However, as an OSU employee, she is definitely in trouble I think. As a side point, this really sucks.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:31 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,765,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
It doesn't matter that it is reported to police, Title IX of Federal Law requires the University's Title IX office to do its own investigation. The reasoning behind this is the University has an obligation to protect student from sexual and physical abuse from supervisors. Now, as of right now, all that has been clearly established is that he beat his wife, even when she was pregnant and had small kids around. As far as we know, he never abused any student interns or trainors or anybody else.

if the allegations happened in the privacy of a home then what does this has to do with the workplace and college? the school has no subpoena powers to talk to witnesses, gather evidence or get records (medical, telephone or any records).....what are they going to do take each side's story and what?

shouldn't the police and the D/A investigate, file charges and get a conviction then get him fired at work if that is the school rules that anybody convicted of spouse abuse is an automatic termination?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM

1,200 posts, read 879,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
if the allegations happened in the privacy of a home then what does this has to do with the workplace and college? the school has no subpoena powers to talk to witnesses, gather evidence or get records (medical, telephone or any records).....what are they going to do take each side's story and what?

shouldn't the police and the D/A investigate, file charges and get a conviction then get him fired at work if that is the school rules that anybody convicted of spouse abuse is an automatic termination?
Again, it doesn't matter what you think is the right way to do things. What matters is federal law that governs universities rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. I can't dumb it down any more than that .

If your want to try to change federal law (Title IX), be my guest.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you want to run around in circles about this, pop back into the politics forum. The regulations on this situation are clearly defined. Urban Meyer coaches at Ohio State. Ohio State is a member of the NCAA. The rules state that Urban has an obligation to report these situations to his boss/bosses. If he knew about the 2015 allegations and did not report them, that is a fire-able offence. That is not debatable, and I don't think it requires further explanation to you. If you want to argue about what you think of the rule, that is a different discussion you'll need a different partner for.

Use of the term "probably" in my post implies all the things you have outlined could happen.

cut the b.s. dude, this has nothing to do with politics because you already made up your mind way before this investigation ended and you take the side of the ex-wife over Urban nd his wife and everybody involved with no evidence just her story.

You would think that in nine contacts with the police if there were anything wrong, he would have been arrested. Meyer's contract language says"...violates the law.... Since no charges were ever filed and no arrests made, where does that leave the situation? And why has it taken over three years to hit the news? There could be a very clever attorney for Mrs. Smith involved who sees a big payday coming if they can somehow show negligence by OSU or OSU staff. We'll have to watch and see.

if the 2015 incident was reported to the police and no arrest and no charges were file, explain to me why would Meyer report it to the administration?....tell me what powers that the school administration has that the police and District Attorney doesn't have to get to the bottom of this and get justice under the law?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,108,709 times
Quote:
cut the b.s. dude, this has nothing to do with politics because you already made up your mind way before this investigation ended and you take the side of the ex-wife over Urban nd his wife and everybody involved with no evidence just her story.
Please direct me to where I took a side.

Quote:
explain to me why would Meyer report it to the administration?
This has been explained to you several times by more than one person. I'm not sure how else this can be explained to you.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Again, it doesn't matter what you think is the right way to do things. What matters is federal law that governs universities rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. I can't dumb it down any more than that .

If your want to try to change federal law (Title IX), be my guest.

Meyer is responsible for reporting to the Athletic Director and compliance office if any person, including assistant coaches, under his supervision has violated state, local or federal laws, as well as university rules.......if the police and DA investigated this 9 times and no arrests and charges were filed explain to me what laws were violated for him to report?

Can't I dumb it down any more for you? lol

Old 08-02-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

This has been explained to you several times by more than one person. I'm not sure how else this can be explained to you.

Meyer is responsible for reporting to the Athletic Director and compliance office if any person, including assistant coaches, under his supervision has violated state, local or federal laws, as well as university rules.

if he didn't think that any laws were violated due to the police investigating 9 incidents and no arrests and no charges were file what is it to report.

you play a lawyer here and act like you know federal law....you explain it.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:03 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,082,361 times
His contract states, "a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or an allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of"

So there didn't need to be official charges, just allegations.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 PM

1,200 posts, read 879,417 times
Quote:
Meyer is responsible for reporting to the Athletic Director and compliance office if any person, including assistant coaches, under his supervision has violated state, local or federal laws, as well as university rules.......if the police and DA investigated this 9 times and no arrests and charges were filed explain to me what laws were violated for him to report?

Can't I dumb it down any more for you? lol
Your understanding is incorrect. If your understanding of his obligations was correct, he wouldn't have possibly violated any rules and wouldn't currently be placed on leave so OSU can investigate. He is required to report ALLEGATIONS of Title IX violations that he is aware of, regardless of whether they occured on or off campus, in regards to students and and employees that he supervises. It doesn't matter what the outcome of a police investigation was or if there even was a police investigation.

I've worked part time at a university in the past, and like every other employee, every 2 years I had to sit through a couple of hours of mandatory Title IX compliance training. Your expertise in this area is???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football