U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM

1,914 posts, read 813,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
The addition to the clause in his contract was added in April of this year. This took place in 2015. I don't know if that could help him or not. From how I understand it, itt does state he has to report it.

Specific language that applies to Title IX, and potentially to this situation, was added to Meyer's contract extension in April.

New paragraph 4.1 (e) of Meyer's extension reads:

Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State's Title IX Athletics any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. ... For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

I do think there is more to this story, but if he knew he violated his contract. I think he's toast
This wasn’t sexual misconduct, or at least the intent of the rule. Beating your wife doesn’t qualify. Can they fire him? Yes. He can be fired for any reason. They shouldn’t though. You would think urban was beating his wife from the outrage, but it was an assistant coach doing it in his private life. Would his assistant coach stop beating his wife if he was fired? The logic makes no sense. So if he loses his job is he allowed to coach again? Is he banned for Life? Of course not. He will get another job, so then what’s the point of It All?

Last edited by Berteau; 08-02-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,763,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Your understanding is incorrect. If your understanding of his obligations was correct, he wouldn't have possibly violated any rules and wouldn't currently be placed on leave so OSU can investigate. He is required to report ALLEGATIONS of Title IX violations that he is aware of, regardless of whether they occured on or off campus, in regards to students and and employees that he supervises. It doesn't matter what the outcome of a police investigation was or if there even was a police investigation.

I've worked part time at a university in the past, and like every other employee, every 2 years I had to sit through a couple of hours of mandatory Title IX compliance training. Your expertise in this area is???

you don't know the reasons why he was placed on leave until the school investigates the allegations made by this woman. Under today's political climate and the me too movement the school is just covering all their basis from the public onslaught that want blood before all the facts are in.

What's my expertise? I read the law and the statue.

Title IX applies to all educational programs and all aspects of a school's educational system. In the 1990s, the U.S. Supreme Court issued three decisions clarifying that Title IX requires schools to respond appropriately to reports of sexual harassment and sexual violence against students. A college or university that receives federal funds may be held legally responsible when it knows about and ignores sexual harassment or assault in its programs or activities.

This woman wasn't or isn't a student or staff at the time of the allegations and the allegations didn't happen on school campus so I don't know how you can apply Title IX to her but go ahead I'm sure they explained the law and the US Supreme Court rulings on Title IX when you were working part-time.

Title IX doesn't apply to the ex-wife. The school didn't deny her rights or due process under Title IX, she is not a student or employee of the university and no crime was committed on school activity or grounds.

try again......

Last edited by Hellion1999; 08-02-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
This wasn’t sexual misconduct, or at least the intent of the rule. Beating your wife doesn’t qualify. Can they fire him? Yes. He can be fired for any reason. They shouldn’t though. You would think urban was beating his wife from the outrage, but it was an assistant coach doing it in his private life. Would his assistant coach stop beating his wife if he was fired? The logic makes no sense. So if he loses his job is he allowed to coach again? Is he banned for Life? Of course not. He will get another job, so then what’s the point of It All?

I agree,,,,,I don't know how firing him will make the beatings stop at home, that's why she should have gone to the police and DA with her evidence and press charges and get a restraining order if she has a case....I don't know how firing the offender will solve the issue at home or with their marriage.

the legal "experts" here want to bring Title IX to go after the head coach but that doesn't apply to the ex-wife, she isn't a student, she isn't a staff and according to the allegations in never happened during school activities or school grounds.

The school didn't deny her due process under the law or deny her rights. If she wanted to get the husband out of the home which he has rights also she needed to go to the police and the courts and go through the legal process...not tell the wife of the coach.

what can you expect we are in the "me movement" hysteria era. Guilty on just allegations.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 08-02-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:06 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,081,379 times
My mom works for the state in public education and she has to report all known or alleged abuse, physical or sexual. BUT she doesn't have to report if she hears a co-worker is beating their spouse at home...at least she said she didn't think that was the case. Guess after all this she should check her contract. I did read they lived in on-campus housing when the abuse took place...which would mean it happened on campus. I don't know how true that is though.

Anyway, I think this is interesting as it's fairly similar. I had never even heard of this story:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/1...als-dismissed/

Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Anyway, I think this is interesting as it's fairly similar. I had never even heard of this story:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/1...als-dismissed/

the judge knows the law.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:50 AM

107 posts, read 35,326 times
Default Not right

i am huge buckeye fan so maybe my views are slighted. I do think he is done. I don't think this is logical to have head coaches responsible for this. Going forward, there has to be IX expert with coaches at all times because I am sure this mistake occurs more often. Yes Urban looks very shady by giving second chances and it appears that approach bit him this time. Wins are not more important, at the same time, this task should be with the experts.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
This wasn’t sexual misconduct, or at least the intent of the rule. Beating your wife doesn’t qualify

Intimate Violence, which is listed, is another term for Domestic Violence

I'm a Buckeye fan and I like Urban and don't think he's a bad dude. I'm just looking at both sides and he's in a tough spot for sure.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Intimate Violence, which is listed, is another term for Domestic Violence

I'm a Buckeye fan and I like Urban and don't think he's a bad dude. I'm just looking at both sides and he's in a tough spot for sure.

that's unfair for Urban. I don't understand the motives of this woman.....after 3 years why now other than she is looking to get $$$$ suing the University and throw everybody under the bus.

What set this in motion?

Last month, Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespass stemming from an incident on May 12, when he was dropping off their son at Courtney's apartment complex. Courtney said Zach violated a shared parenting plan by coming to her residence. Zach Smith's lawyer said his client was never arrested and pleaded not guilty to the fourth-degree misdemeanor, contending that he did not violate the parenting plan. In an interview with Stadium, Courtney said Zach's repeated violations of the terms of their divorce prompted her to go public about the years of alleged abuse.

So basically, all this blew up because Zach was dropping of their son to her house and there is obvious a legal dispute about a shared parenting plan that should be settle in court with the lawyers and she went rogue and threw everybody under the bus. All this for a 4th degree misdemeanor.

Urban and his wife are going WTF! what does this has to do with us and the football program.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that's unfair for Urban. I don't understand the motives of this woman.....after 3 years why now other than she is looking to get $$$$ suing the University and throw everybody under the bus.
Oh I agree. I feel bad saying it, but I do think $ has been a huge factor and part of why it's coming out now.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:31 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
It doesn't matter that it is reported to police, Title IX of Federal Law requires the University's Title IX office to do its own investigation. The reasoning behind this is the University has an obligation to protect student from sexual and physical abuse from supervisors. Now, as of right now, all that has been clearly established is that he beat his wife, even when she was pregnant and had small kids around. As far as we know, he never abused any student interns or trainors or anybody else.

The issue with Meyer is he almost certainly heard the allegations, and even if they are just allegations, every university employee (at any university), who supervises students or other faculty/staff are required to report allegations of sexual harrassment, sexual violence,
or intimate partner violence either directly to the Title IX office or to their supervisor who then reports to the Title IX office. The issue here is that didn't happen, and Meyer seems to have a motive not to report.

You may not agree with federal Title IX, or OSU's (and pretty much every other university's) policies and procedures for implementing Title IX, but that's not going to hold up as a defense for violations. That being said, don't worry too much. This is OSU. Outside of several SEC programs and maybe a couple in the BigXII, there aren't many schools that are less likely to do the right thing and can the coach like they would any professor that had the same violations.
But a student's not involved here.

That likely won't matter though. This is not a good look for Urban. You can't try to sweep allegations of abuse by one of your subordinates under the rug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football