U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 AM
 
Location: OHIO
2,355 posts, read 1,091,598 times
Reputation: 5403

Advertisements

Students are involved though, as the alleged abuser was working with students. Someone who is beating their spouse at home, or assaulting people outside of work, could eventually do it to a student or staff. That's why they are to report any violations or allegations, so they can look into it and decide if it's a liability to employ that person or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2018, 10:47 AM
 
2,845 posts, read 1,788,747 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that's unfair for Urban. I don't understand the motives of this woman.....after 3 years why now other than she is looking to get $$$$ suing the University and throw everybody under the bus.


What set this in motion?

Last month, Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespass stemming from an incident on May 12, when he was dropping off their son at Courtney's apartment complex. Courtney said Zach violated a shared parenting plan by coming to her residence. Zach Smith's lawyer said his client was never arrested and pleaded not guilty to the fourth-degree misdemeanor, contending that he did not violate the parenting plan. In an interview with Stadium, Courtney said Zach's repeated violations of the terms of their divorce prompted her to go public about the years of alleged abuse.




So basically, all this blew up because Zach was dropping of their son to her house and there is obvious a legal dispute about a shared parenting plan that should be settle in court with the lawyers and she went rogue and threw everybody under the bus. All this for a 4th degree misdemeanor.




Urban and his wife are going WTF! what does this has to do with us and the football program.
It would be nice if the media actually balances this story with some of the information they find out in the upcoming hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 AM
 
4,342 posts, read 2,280,321 times
Reputation: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Students are involved though, as the alleged abuser was working with students. Someone who is beating their spouse at home, or assaulting people outside of work, could eventually do it to a student or staff. That's why they are to report any violations or allegations, so they can look into it and decide if it's a liability to employ that person or not

It's guilt by association.



Look at it this way, your friend breaks the law in his private life which you may or may not be aware of. Even if you know something happened then it still only allegations and since the person is your friend/coworker you probably believe whatever explanation they provide. Years later you are excoriated for not doing something about it sooner even if you were only vaguely away what was happening. This is not Jerrry Sandusky molesting kids on school property - it's domestic abuse. Above all the victim and those close to them should be calling the police the minute they found out and then the the police should be charging the perp.



Punishing those who worked with the guilty party years after the fact feels like a blame game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 11:13 AM
 
Location: The Eastern Shore
2,231 posts, read 609,342 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Intimate Violence, which is listed, is another term for Domestic Violence


I'm a Buckeye fan and I like Urban and don't think he's a bad dude. I'm just looking at both sides and he's in a tough spot for sure.
You should look into his background then. He isn't a good dude. He will do anything to win, including sweeping any and all violations he can under the rug. Just look at his time at Florida. You can read this for starters. It's from 2012. One of his former players even says in the article, that if he doesn't change his ways, Ohio State is in trouble...


From champs to chomped: How Urban Meyer broke Florida football | NCAA Football | Sporting News


Beyond that, he is a proven liar, on multiple levels. Dude faked heart problems to get out of a sinking Florida ship. Then he changed it to "I want to spend time with my family". Also, he knew, for sure, about the incident in, I believe, 2009, where he beat up his then pregnant wife. He basically told her to get over it and go to counseling. He brushed it off as nothing more than a typical marital spat. Said they were still a young couple, as if that excuses his behavior. Then, he kept the guy on staff, and then hired him a year later when he went to Ohio State. You guys are defending a coach who hired a known wife beater. Even if he didn't know about the later incidents (let's be honest here... If you believe his wife of 29 years didn't tell him, I have a bridge to sell you), he was still fine hiring a known wife beater.


You guys need to take a long hard look in the mirror if you are going to keep defending this guy. Some things are bigger than your sports fandom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 11:57 AM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,783,509 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You should look into his background then. He isn't a good dude. He will do anything to win, including sweeping any and all violations he can under the rug. Just look at his time at Florida. You can read this for starters. It's from 2012. One of his former players even says in the article, that if he doesn't change his ways, Ohio State is in trouble...


From champs to chomped: How Urban Meyer broke Florida football | NCAA Football | Sporting News


Beyond that, he is a proven liar, on multiple levels. Dude faked heart problems to get out of a sinking Florida ship. Then he changed it to "I want to spend time with my family". Also, he knew, for sure, about the incident in, I believe, 2009, where he beat up his then pregnant wife. He basically told her to get over it and go to counseling. He brushed it off as nothing more than a typical marital spat. Said they were still a young couple, as if that excuses his behavior. Then, he kept the guy on staff, and then hired him a year later when he went to Ohio State. You guys are defending a coach who hired a known wife beater. Even if he didn't know about the later incidents (let's be honest here... If you believe his wife of 29 years didn't tell him, I have a bridge to sell you), he was still fine hiring a known wife beater.


You guys need to take a long hard look in the mirror if you are going to keep defending this guy. Some things are bigger than your sports fandom.







you are repeating allegations by the ex-wife that never were proven in COURT! he was never arrested, charged or convicted but here you are repeating as "fact" what you read.





He will do anything to win?????? yeah I heard that line by a few morons at ESPN.....like Meyer needed 1 assistant coach to win. Like without 1 assistant coach Meyer couldn't win...give me a break.


This is what's wrong with our msm....you have lots of sport writers on the internet that are not real news reporters that mix allegations with sensationalism with opinions and sell it as fact.


here are the facts so far:


What set this in motion?

Last month, Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespass stemming from an incident on May 12, when he was dropping off their son at Courtney's apartment complex. Courtney said Zach violated a shared parenting plan by coming to her residence. Zach Smith's lawyer said his client was never arrested and pleaded not guilty to the fourth-degree misdemeanor, contending that he did not violate the parenting plan. In an interview with Stadium, Courtney said Zach's repeated violations of the terms of their divorce prompted her to go public about the years of alleged abuse.
What is the 2009 incident?

In June 2009, Zach Smith was arrested for aggravated battery on a pregnant victim after ALLEGEDLY throwing Courtney Smith into a wall after an argument at their home in Gainesville, Florida, where Zach was working for Meyer with the University of Florida football program. Courtney Smith dropped the charges, saying Meyer's close friend Hiram deFries and mentor Earle Bruce, the former Ohio State coach and Zach's grandfather, encouraged her not to pursue legal action. Meyer said last month at Big Ten media days that he knew about the 2009 incident and that he and his wife, Shelley, had reached out to Zach and Courtney and encouraged them to seek counseling. Zach Smith remained on staff at Florida. When Meyer landed the Ohio State job in November 2011, he hired Smith as wide receivers coach.


What is the 2015 incident?

In October 2015, Powell (Ohio) police investigated Zach Smith for domestic violence against Courtney, from whom he was separated. Zach was not charged in the incident, but Courtney told reporter Brett McMurphy this week that she informed the wives of several Ohio State coaches, including Shelley Meyer, about what happened. McMurphy on Monday reported a text-message exchange between Courtney Smith and Lindsey Voltolini, wife of Ohio State football operations director Brian Voltolini, in which Lindsey wrote that Urban Meyer said Zach Smith denied the allegations. This is critically important because Urban Meyer, responding to McMurphy's initial report about the 2015 incident at Big Ten media day on July 23, denied any knowledge of the incident, saying, "I was never told about anything. Never anything came to light, never had a conversation about it." Courtney Smith told McMurphy this week that she believes Urban Meyer knew about the 2015 abuse, although she never received direct confirmation that he did. Ohio State fired Zach Smith the same day McMurphy first reported about the 2015 incident.



Why now? 3 years have passed and why this woman is coming out now? because her ex-husband violated a shared parenting plan according to her by coming to her residence to drop their son off? a 4th class misdemeanor that should be handle in court not on national tv or dragging the whole OHIO football team and the head coach and his wife in their personal mess and now she is going rogue on Meyer, his wife and the University and throwing them under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 12:11 PM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,783,509 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Students are involved though, as the alleged abuser was working with students. Someone who is beating their spouse at home, or assaulting people outside of work, could eventually do it to a student or staff. That's why they are to report any violations or allegations, so they can look into it and decide if it's a liability to employ that person or not





an alleged abuser have rights.....he is an American citizen with rights....if the allegations were never proven in court and charges were never filed with his ex-wife and if there is no incidents or complains how he does his job with players and staff at his job then it's kinda hard to fire him based on allegations by an ex-wife.





the school has NO authority to take him out of his home and away from his children without a court order and a court order takes probable cause and an investigation by the police and a judge has to sign it and there is a due process.


So I don't understand why the EX-WIFE who wasn't a student or staff at the University told people at the university and expected what????? firing him or putting him on suspension wasn't going to stop the alleged abuse at home or order a restraining order or separate him legally from his kids or stay away from the home until the school investigates. That's the court system and the police not the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM
 
Location: The Eastern Shore
2,231 posts, read 609,342 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you are repeating allegations by the ex-wife that never were proven in COURT! he was never arrested, charged or convicted but here you are repeating as "fact" what you read.





He will do anything to win?????? yeah I heard that line by a few morons at ESPN.....like Meyer needed 1 assistant coach to win. Like without 1 assistant coach Meyer couldn't win...give me a break.


This is what's wrong with our msm....you have lots of sport writers on the internet that are not real news reporters that mix allegations with sensationalism with opinions and sell it as fact.


here are the facts so far:


What set this in motion?

Last month, Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespass stemming from an incident on May 12, when he was dropping off their son at Courtney's apartment complex. Courtney said Zach violated a shared parenting plan by coming to her residence. Zach Smith's lawyer said his client was never arrested and pleaded not guilty to the fourth-degree misdemeanor, contending that he did not violate the parenting plan. In an interview with Stadium, Courtney said Zach's repeated violations of the terms of their divorce prompted her to go public about the years of alleged abuse.
What is the 2009 incident?

In June 2009, Zach Smith was arrested for aggravated battery on a pregnant victim after ALLEGEDLY throwing Courtney Smith into a wall after an argument at their home in Gainesville, Florida, where Zach was working for Meyer with the University of Florida football program. Courtney Smith dropped the charges, saying Meyer's close friend Hiram deFries and mentor Earle Bruce, the former Ohio State coach and Zach's grandfather, encouraged her not to pursue legal action. Meyer said last month at Big Ten media days that he knew about the 2009 incident and that he and his wife, Shelley, had reached out to Zach and Courtney and encouraged them to seek counseling. Zach Smith remained on staff at Florida. When Meyer landed the Ohio State job in November 2011, he hired Smith as wide receivers coach.


What is the 2015 incident?

In October 2015, Powell (Ohio) police investigated Zach Smith for domestic violence against Courtney, from whom he was separated. Zach was not charged in the incident, but Courtney told reporter Brett McMurphy this week that she informed the wives of several Ohio State coaches, including Shelley Meyer, about what happened. McMurphy on Monday reported a text-message exchange between Courtney Smith and Lindsey Voltolini, wife of Ohio State football operations director Brian Voltolini, in which Lindsey wrote that Urban Meyer said Zach Smith denied the allegations. This is critically important because Urban Meyer, responding to McMurphy's initial report about the 2015 incident at Big Ten media day on July 23, denied any knowledge of the incident, saying, "I was never told about anything. Never anything came to light, never had a conversation about it." Courtney Smith told McMurphy this week that she believes Urban Meyer knew about the 2015 abuse, although she never received direct confirmation that he did. Ohio State fired Zach Smith the same day McMurphy first reported about the 2015 incident.



Why now? 3 years have passed and why this woman is coming out now? because her ex-husband violated a shared parenting plan according to her by coming to her residence to drop their son off? a 4th class misdemeanor that should be handle in court not on national tv or dragging the whole OHIO football team and the head coach and his wife in their personal mess and now she is going rogue on Meyer, his wife and the University and throwing them under the bus.


So something Urban Meyer said is not to be used against him because the ex-wife said it, and it was on the "msm"? You need to trot on back to the politics forum if you are going to start spouting off about "fake news".


Did you even read the article? My point in posting that was to show that Urban Meyer is not some pillar of the community like you Buckeye nuts keeps screaming from the rooftops. He is a known liar and manipulator. He swept many things under the rug to keep his best players eligible, and screwed injured kids to be able to get extra scholarships. Among many other things. Those are just the ones we know about. Guaranteed, there is more than what was in that article. Although, I guess it's just "fake news" to you.


You keep saying that we don't know for sure he knew. Well guess what? If you believe his wife didn't tell him, especially after media days, where he talked about how close they are, then you are the one who isn't thinking straight. Just because it hasn't come directly from his mouth, doesn't make it false.


Also, you keep saying, "HE WaSn'T ArReStEd!!" like that truly matters. There have been players kicked off of college teams without ever being arrested or charged with anything. And it has been explained to you by another person how difficult it actually is to get someone arrested for something like this as well. There have been coaches fired for not being loyal to their wives and lying about it (Bobby Petrino), or lying about something period (Jim McElwain), or not doing enough after finding out about a crime (Paterno), etc etc. The fact that you somehow think this is different speaks volumes of your inability to separate your fandom from reality. The fact that you think having a known wife beater on your coaching staff is fine and dandy speaks volumes of you as a person.


But by all means, keep falling on the sword for this guy, and ranting and raving like a lunatic on a message board to a bunch of people who have no bearing on his job. All because you have bought the "fake news" mantra, hook line and sinker.


Edited to add: And your above about the 2009 incident? You don't see an issue with her being approached by men with ties to the football program and Urban Meyer, and being persuaded not to press charges? You see no problem there? Really???? As a woman, I can say that you, and people like you, are why charges are so hard to press in these instances. You find it acceptable for her to be coerced by men who know her husband into not pressing charges, so the husband, and football program, won't be hurt by it. It's disgusting and pathetic, quite frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 02:52 PM
 
Location: OHIO
2,355 posts, read 1,091,598 times
Reputation: 5403
Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer released a statement Friday saying he took the appropriate steps when he was informed of allegations of domestic violence against former assistant Zach Smith in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: The Eastern Shore
2,231 posts, read 609,342 times
Reputation: 1150
Now admitting that he lied when asked about it, and that he kept a wife beater on staff. Not sure how he thought this makes him look any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 03:13 PM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,783,509 times
Reputation: 5197
no, I have no sides in this...this should be in a court of law where both sides present their evidence and a judge or jury decides. That's how our justice system works in this country. If we go by just allegations of he said she said then a lot of people would be fired from their jobs and be in jail. We have a due process in this country and you obviously for whatever personal reason want to ignore that.



You want to jump on the me too movement mob mentality and transform this nation into a banana republic that a person can lose his job, his liberties and rights to make a living on just allegations that were NEVER proven in court or any legal proceeding where a person can defend himself and confront his accusers and evidence then you are the problem and this country is going to $hits!



Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Did you even read the article? My point in posting that was to show that Urban Meyer is not some pillar of the community like you Buckeye nuts keeps screaming from the rooftops. He is a known liar and manipulator. He swept many things under the rug to keep his best players eligible, and screwed injured kids to be able to get extra scholarships. Among many other things. Those are just the ones we know about. Guaranteed, there is more than what was in that article. Although, I guess it's just "fake news" to you.


what are you a lie detector now and accusing the head coach as a known liar????? what are you a judge and jury now? you just repeat allegations that were never proven.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You keep saying that we don't know for sure he knew. Well guess what? If you believe his wife didn't tell him, especially after media days, where he talked about how close they are, then you are the one who isn't thinking straight. Just because it hasn't come directly from his mouth, doesn't make it false.

and you know this first hand how?



Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Also, you keep saying, "HE WaSn'T ArReStEd!!" like that truly matters. There have been players kicked off of college teams without ever being arrested or charged with anything. And it has been explained to you by another person how difficult it actually is to get someone arrested for something like this as well. There have been coaches fired for not being loyal to their wives and lying about it (Bobby Petrino), or lying about something period (Jim McElwain), or not doing enough after finding out about a crime (Paterno), etc etc. The fact that you somehow think this is different speaks volumes of your inability to separate your fandom from reality. The fact that you think having a known wife beater on your coaching staff is fine and dandy speaks volumes of you as a person.



and that makes it right? players and coaches fired for having an affair on their wives? what are we a Puritan nation? if we fire coaches and players for having affairs on their wives or girlfriends we wouldn't have a sporting teams. This economy would go bankrupt since 50% of all marriages in this country end up in divorce and spouses lie to each other especially when the marriage is at its end and getting a divorce. Nobody should lose their job because of that. Cheating on your wife or lying to her is not a crime and it should be a private matter.



Your last comment was ignorant...you don't know me it shouldn't get personal with me. If you want to be ignorant about this debate then you got issues. Typical me too movement extremist, if men don't agree with your point of view about something the We must be evil and wife beater's defenders.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
But by all means, keep falling on the sword for this guy, and ranting and raving like a lunatic on a message board to a bunch of people who have no bearing on his job. All because you have bought the "fake news" mantra, hook line and sinker.

what sword? lay off the crack lady....I'm not raving or I'm not a lunatic. I'm just expressing my opinions just like you. The difference is I don't get personal here and attack people in this forum for having a different point of view. I can't say the same for you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Edited to add: And your above about the 2009 incident? You don't see an issue with her being approached by men with ties to the football program and Urban Meyer, and being persuaded not to press charges? You see no problem there? Really???? As a woman, I can say that you, and people like you, are why charges are so hard to press in these instances. You find it acceptable for her to be coerced by men who know her husband into not pressing charges, so the husband, and football program, won't be hurt by it. It's disgusting and pathetic, quite frankly.



once again, you are taking the side of the story of the ex-wife and not putting things into context and perspective once they do the whole investigation. You are going by the interview of the ex-wife.


Did they make threats to her not to go to press charges in 2009? how about in 2015?.....since I wasn't there and you weren't either and neither of us have all the facts it's safe for me to say you don't know what the f@ck you are talking about.




people like me? LMAO!!! Jesus! you don't know me, lady. If by all my posts you haven't understood where I'm coming from then that's on you. I want for any abuse allegations to be investigated and for any accused of horrible acts that will have consequences about making a living, on their his/her rights to see their children, get kicked out of the home and other rights that we as Americans have as birthrights that there should be a proper legal hearing where both sides can present their case and a judge and jury decide according to the evidence and law.




if you can't understand where I'm coming from then that's not my problem and you shouldn't take your personal feelings on the rest of us that have a different opinion than you.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 08-03-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top