U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,018,191 times

Advertisements

Jordan McNair of Maryland Terrapins died of heatstroke after team workout

Maryland Terrapins football culture toxic coach DJ Durkin

Maryland Terrapins place trainers on leave amid investigation into Jordan McNair's death

This entire ordeal has sickened me since i first read about this...hopefully these trainers get locked up in prison for a long, long time. Don't know if Durkin's getting canned, but he probably should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 07:26 AM

10,460 posts, read 5,924,770 times
I am a lifelong MD fan and a grad. This story sickens me to the core. If, and this is still a giant if, this story is accurate it is inexcusable. There is no way to defend the lack of treatment from the training staff. Head should role and criminal charges should follow if applicable.

Of course there will be innocent victims. The basketball program, which had nothing to do with this, will probably feel the fallout from this and that's not fair. But I'm not taking the path of so many Penn State fans who defended Joe Pa despite the obvious. No if my school was culpable they should pay the price and I won't defend them or make excuses for their poor behavior as many Penn State fans did with Paterno.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:46 PM

664 posts, read 582,061 times
This happens too often. So many times players are hot and need water. By the time you know you are thirsty, you should have drank water. They keep running them. They make them wait 5 or 10 more minutes. They use cardio as a punishment because they did not block correctly, or they were holding on a play. Coaching staffs need to find ways of punishing players without putting their lives in jeopardy.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:37 AM

348 posts, read 126,648 times
Unfortunately, this could happen in any Division 1 football program, no matter what you think of the head coach. It doesn't make it acceptable but firing the head coach won't change anything.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Unfortunately, this could happen in any Division 1 football program, no matter what you think of the head coach. It doesn't make it acceptable but firing the head coach won't change anything.
You need to understand the complete story. The player was showing obvious signs of a medical problem. The reports are very very troubling and apparently accurate. Not only did they deny the player immediate medical attention at the first very clear signs of a problem there are reports that coaches tried to get him to complete his drill. They most certainly did not call 911 until nearly an hour later, when he arrived at the hospital his temp was 105. Had they responded immediately he would probably be alive, now he is dead and many believe the culture of driving players hard, even it is dangerous, instilled by the head coach is the problem. It's a gots to go situation for the head coach.

When the President of a University that is no doubt facing litigation admits they were responsible for the players death it should be very obvious where the problem is. And I'm a grad of the school.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You need to understand the complete story. The player was showing obvious signs of a medical problem. The reports are very very troubling and apparently accurate. Not only did they deny the player immediate medical attention at the first very clear signs of a problem there are reports that coaches tried to get him to complete his drill. They most certainly did not call 911 until nearly an hour later, when he arrived at the hospital his temp was 105. Had they responded immediately he would probably be alive, now he is dead and many believe the culture of driving players hard, even it is dangerous, instilled by the head coach is the problem. It's a gots to go situation for the head coach.

When the President of a University that is no doubt facing litigation admits they were responsible for the players death it should be very obvious where the problem is. And I'm a grad of the school.
There apparently needs to be a requirement, if not an absolute LAW (!) that when an athlete shows signs of needing medical attention, that the athlete immediately receive that medical attention.

If there already isn't such a requirement, I'd be very surprised.

Also, the idea of ANYONE needing to demand "driving players hard" needs to be ended, if it hasn't already been.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM

This story is a week old and only a handful of posts, thus confirming that nobody cares about Maryland football. LOL

Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 PM

8,379 posts, read 8,371,514 times
Tragic for the young man & his family. RIP

But I donít think the Terps are gonna score 51 on the Longhorns again.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:54 AM

664 posts, read 582,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This story is a week old and only a handful of posts, thus confirming that nobody cares about Maryland football. LOL
I thought the same thing. Just knew more people would have commented on a subject that needs immediate change.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:35 PM

633 posts, read 154,926 times
Don't they have a medical staff monitoring these workout conditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or