U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 AM

3,192 posts, read 6,354,781 times

Advertisements

I watched Syracuse-Florida State, and observed an entirely unsupportive atmosphere on that FSU Sideline. The only dude who looked like he wanted to play was #99, Burns (alright, Assante Samuel, Jr, too!). But the rest of them Seminoles.......!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 AM

4,035 posts, read 1,131,526 times
But what does that have to do with Willie Taggart? I'm pretty familiar with him because of his time at Oregon. Things didn't go so well for Willie at Oregon, and it sounds like things aren't going so well at FSU either.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 AM

354 posts, read 130,525 times
I'm a big fan of college football and enjoy really good games like Clemson vs Texas A&M or yesterday's LSU vs Auburn. When I watch Florida State a couple of times this year, it seems like the team isn't even trying. For instance, the receivers are not even running full routs or selling their rout, the offensive and defensive lines don't look like they are putting out alot of effort and no one on the team seems to get fired up. It seems more a collection of individuals rather than a team. They recruit really good atletes. I don't know anything about the coach other than he was a Forida State guy.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 AM

5,314 posts, read 3,342,190 times
Supposedly, people have already set up several GoFundMe drives to buy out Willie's contract!

While Willie is a "Florida Guy" who grew up in Bradenton and went to High School there, besides one really good year (2016 when he went 10-2) at South Florida, he hasn't really done that well as a head coach:

Western Kentucky 2010 - 2012: 16-20
South Florida 2013 - 2016: 24-25
Oregon 2017: 7-5

Old 09-16-2018, 10:50 PM

1,144 posts, read 562,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
I'm a big fan of college football and enjoy really good games like Clemson vs Texas A&M or yesterday's LSU vs Auburn. When I watch Florida State a couple of times this year, it seems like the team isn't even trying. For instance, the receivers are not even running full routs or selling their rout, the offensive and defensive lines don't look like they are putting out alot of effort and no one on the team seems to get fired up. It seems more a collection of individuals rather than a team. They recruit really good atletes. I don't know anything about the coach other than he was a Forida State guy.
FSU has been through this before. I moved to Tallahassee in 2002 for a job from Colorado. When I first got there, Miami was the TEAM to beat in Florida. FSU was considered to be in a disappointing "DOWN" phase with Chris Rix. Ironically, FSU had won the championship just a few years earlier (1999). From 2000-2004 the Chris Rix era was considered really awful. I went jogging one night in 03 to play pickup basketball at FSU and saw a sign that said "Chris Rix s--ks". It was hilarious.
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2013/...king-chris-rix

FSU seemed to struggle for almost ten years from 2000 to 2010 by their standards of the 1990s and never really hit momentum until Jimbo Fisher got the team on high performance leading to their championship. Then last year it fell apart. Now Jimbo is gone.

From having lived in Tallahassee, they are either going to let Willie have time to put his system in place (2-3 years) or quickly find someone else. Personally, I think they jumped into the coaching search too quickly. It shows.

But in the long run, the "Noles" will be back. If you had lived in Tallahassee back in 2002-2003 like I did the town was in "panic" and was wondering if FSU would "ever return to glory". It took time but they eventually did. When Chris Rix was there it had seemed very doubtful, but eventually those years passed and the "glory" returned. If it just weren't for Winston's scandals it would have been without controversy.

FSU's weak spot with the football players is the partying atmosphere around campus, the uneven female to male ratio, and related scandals. That West Tennessee St. and Pensacola St. are notorious for college parties and the trouble that ensues - it's like a spring break fest every weekend during football season for some (not all) students - especially many FSU football players. The temptation is too overwhelming - alcohol and the typical "beautiful southern belles" around campus. That's where Jim Morrison got his start in that fast-paced partying lifestyle that eventually led to his early demise. Morrison had been an undergraduate at FSU. He partied, womanized, and got arrested. The 47 sec mark shows him at FSU when he was barely out of HS. He transferred to UCLA and became part of the "Doors". The excessive partying has made national news. Just google "The Onion" and "Sigma Chi" to see the absurd satire about the binge drinking around campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI-M0VZuEQ

Ironically, FSU is actually very difficult academically. The Magnet Lab has world class scientists. The STEM programs are notoriously difficult - about 15-20 hours of studying per week per class for some curricula. So, a STEM student could wind up studying easily more than 45 hours per week. But you wouldn't be able to tell with all the trouble some of the football players get into.

The team that truly is in a ridiculously long downturn by "their standards" would be Notre Dame. Their last championship was in 1988, and that was tainted by steroid abuse (google "Steve Huffman" & "Notre Dame" & "steroids"). But even longer would be Texas A&M - Jimbo's new school.

Last edited by grad_student200; 09-16-2018 at 11:01 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 AM

"FSU's weak spot with the football players is the partying atmosphere around campus, the uneven female to male ratio, and related scandals."

I went to Syracuse from 86-90. A party atmosphere if there ever was one! But a Keith Smart shot away from winning the NCAA in hoops and a Pat Dye/Auburn Sugar bowl decision to tie away from winning a National Football Championship! All within our "partying atmosphere around campus!" Oh, we had our scandals, too, when hoop star Derrick Coleman and a bunch of football players got into a beef against a fraternity at a party.....!

I hear Taggart called out "80 different players with 80 different agendas!" I saw that on the field.....!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 AM

3,335 posts, read 1,674,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
FSU has been through this before. I moved to Tallahassee in 2002 for a job from Colorado. When I first got there, Miami was the TEAM to beat in Florida. FSU was considered to be in a disappointing "DOWN" phase with Chris Rix. Ironically, FSU had won the championship just a few years earlier (1999). From 2000-2004 the Chris Rix era was considered really awful. I went jogging one night in 03 to play pickup basketball at FSU and saw a sign that said "Chris Rix s--ks". It was hilarious.
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2013/...king-chris-rix

FSU seemed to struggle for almost ten years from 2000 to 2010 by their standards of the 1990s and never really hit momentum until Jimbo Fisher got the team on high performance leading to their championship. Then last year it fell apart. Now Jimbo is gone.

From having lived in Tallahassee, they are either going to let Willie have time to put his system in place (2-3 years) or quickly find someone else. Personally, I think they jumped into the coaching search too quickly. It shows.

But in the long run, the "Noles" will be back. If you had lived in Tallahassee back in 2002-2003 like I did the town was in "panic" and was wondering if FSU would "ever return to glory". It took time but they eventually did. When Chris Rix was there it had seemed very doubtful, but eventually those years passed and the "glory" returned. If it just weren't for Winston's scandals it would have been without controversy.

FSU's weak spot with the football players is the partying atmosphere around campus, the uneven female to male ratio, and related scandals. That West Tennessee St. and Pensacola St. are notorious for college parties and the trouble that ensues - it's like a spring break fest every weekend during football season for some (not all) students - especially many FSU football players. The temptation is too overwhelming - alcohol and the typical "beautiful southern belles" around campus. That's where Jim Morrison got his start in that fast-paced partying lifestyle that eventually led to his early demise. Morrison had been an undergraduate at FSU. He partied, womanized, and got arrested. The 47 sec mark shows him at FSU when he was barely out of HS. He transferred to UCLA and became part of the "Doors". The excessive partying has made national news. Just google "The Onion" and "Sigma Chi" to see the absurd satire about the binge drinking around campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI-M0VZuEQ

Ironically, FSU is actually very difficult academically. The Magnet Lab has world class scientists. The STEM programs are notoriously difficult - about 15-20 hours of studying per week per class for some curricula. So, a STEM student could wind up studying easily more than 45 hours per week. But you wouldn't be able to tell with all the trouble some of the football players get into.

The team that truly is in a ridiculously long downturn by "their standards" would be Notre Dame. Their last championship was in 1988, and that was tainted by steroid abuse (google "Steve Huffman" & "Notre Dame" & "steroids"). But even longer would be Texas A&M - Jimbo's new school.
Chris Rix was such a highly recruited player, and when he was on, he was great. Even those were considered "down years" for FSU, they were still a consistent top 10 team, which wouldn't be considered "down years" for 99% of college football programs. In fact, I remember them because they were ranked #5 when my Maryland Terps upset them. Vernon Davis had one of the most amazing individual highlight plays in that game.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 1,674,266 times
Willie Tagart just doesn't have the fire or presence of a Jimbo Fisher. That's not to say anything bad against him, because Jimbo is at the elite level of college coaches. But the coaching move for FSU was certainly a downgrade. The fact that FSU brought in Walt Bell as their OC when he was OC of a pathetic Maryland team, tells you that something is going on at FSU. Maybe rebuilding for financial reasons, and they aren't trying to pay top tier coaches?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 AM

I could understand if FSU had issues with Fisher, due to three different QB incidents (Jameis Winston, DeAndre Johnson, Malik Henry). But did the school think things through regarding Taggart? And did Taggart get a proper vibe before taking that job? And the fact that the players let it be known they don't want him.....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football