U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 PM

3,213 posts, read 1,638,903 times

Advertisements

I had my first opportunity to watch a SEC college game live and in person. I was shocked how quickly it went compared to commercial laden NFL games. They ran a play and in few seconds they were ready to go again. I am used to pro game dragging things out to squeeze as many commercials in as possible. The 2 things I detest about the pros are showboating and interminable delays. I saw none of either and it was a refreshing change. Growing up a game was 2 hours and now its 3.5. That's 1.5 hours of something. I stopped watching the pros years ago and now I have something much better. Go Gators and SEC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 04:41 PM

348 posts, read 126,648 times
It was very close, college vs NFL but this year college has clearly surpassed the NFL. The main reason is the NFL officiating. The game stops 30 times for penalties. Players get thrown out because they put too much weight on the quarterbacks. Players hold out and jump from team to team.

College is still real football. There are hard hits and seemingly less penalties. There is also alot more enthusiasm amongst the players. Yeah, college is definitely superior.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:56 PM

929 posts, read 296,546 times
Liking college better than pros in recent years, yes. Basketball for sure. Football? More and more. Couple issues though I have: the NCAA games are not quicker; some are very long- and my next problem correlates to the first: the games take too long often because half these games at least, the defense is non-existent. Also could live without the silly overtime rule in college.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 PM

8,778 posts, read 7,698,666 times
I've pretty much had it with any sport where the referees have such a huge impact on the game. I've seen too many obviously bad calls to make me think that referees, in some cases are on tbe take or horribly prejudiced. Saw it yesterday in the OU vs OSU game. Both to OSU' favor. One was a blatant facemask call and the next a holding call. Even the announcers reran the tape and showed how bad the calls were.

I prefer something like golf or bike racing where there's little refereeing, and the competitors still have some personal honor.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:51 AM

8,375 posts, read 8,369,074 times
Big 12 refereeing sucks big time and is worse than any other conference. Have seen it go against Texas too many times to think some of the zebras have it in for the Horns. Several games have stood out ever since Grant Teaff’s farewell party.
Have seen them blow obvious calls that screwed our opponents too.
There seems to be no accountability in the B12 ref office.

Virtually all the UT games are 3.5+ hours, with incessant 3 minute commercial timeouts. It is especially annoying after turnovers, before & after kickoffs, etc.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:57 AM

43,549 posts, read 52,647,623 times
College football more fun and wacky with more heart and risk taking.

Just more entertaining.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
I've never known of a college team threatening to leave town unless its city built it a new stadium. An NFL team in my state left town when its city didn't build it a new stadium. That, combined with season after season of losing seasons, while I was growing up is why I haven't followed the NFL in 30 years. I like having Sundays free in the fall.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM

1,190 posts, read 875,253 times
Probably my favorite aspect of college sports is that the teams don't demand taxpayers build them a new stadium every 10-20 years and threaten to/actually move to another University if they don't get one.

In Pro sports, outside of Green Bay, loyalty is only one way: Fans->Team. While some of the players might care about the fans, none of the owners do. The only thing owners care about is how they can extract the most money from fans/taxpayers that live in a metro with a team. In college sports, while money is important, there are a lot of intangibles from sports building bonds between alumni and their schools. Extracting the maximum amount of money from fans isn't the primary goal, at least at well run University Athletic Departments. Traditions, strengthening ties with alumni, and building ties to residents of their state are also important to athletic departments.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 PM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,896 times
Last several years I've been watching less and less pro ball. College ball has been a real fun time for a couple of my favorite teams this year. UCF is undefeated and a real hoot to watch on offense; turn your attention away for a couple of minutes and you may miss an 80 yard drive for a TD. And Colgate with a suffocating defense is still unbeaten with only a tough game with Army before the FCS playoffs.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I had my first opportunity to watch a SEC college game live and in person. I was shocked how quickly it went compared to commercial laden NFL games. They ran a play and in few seconds they were ready to go again. I am used to pro game dragging things out to squeeze as many commercials in as possible. The 2 things I detest about the pros are showboating and interminable delays. I saw none of either and it was a refreshing change. Growing up a game was 2 hours and now its 3.5. That's 1.5 hours of something. I stopped watching the pros years ago and now I have something much better. Go Gators and SEC
Hate to break it to you, but college football games are longer than NFL games.

Quote:
College football games are long and getting longer, outlasting any other professional or top-level college team sports experience.

Even college baseball, the sport pilloried the most by critics for its languid pace of play, doesn’t take as long, on the average, as a Football Bowl Subdivision game. According to NCAA statistics, the average FBS game last season was 3 hours and 24 minutes, the longest in the sport’s history and several minutes longer than the average college baseball game.
https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/...tball-steadily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or