U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:49 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats not what he said...he said the playoff teams should be selected prior to the playing of the conference championships. And he's absolutely correct. Georgia has to play Bama while Clemson gets a 4 loss Pitt and Notre Dame doesn't have to play a game at all. Thats ridiculous. Until everyone plays a conference championship game againts a quality opponent the games shouldn't be part of the equation.

And no sane, unbiased, knowledgeable observer can deny that Georgia isn't one of the 4 best teams in the country. Fact.

The point of the playoffs is to decide best team and a team can't truly be best team in country if it doesn't win its 14 team conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,330,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing. Tired of these guys just saying anything stupid just to try and remain relevant. Colin Cowherd is getting worse and worse with that.
Colin Cowturd is an idiot. I can't stand to listen to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
The point of the playoffs is to decide best team and a team can't truly be best team in country if it doesn't win its 14 team conference.
They may not can be the best team in the country without winning their conference but they can be one of the 4 best teams and make the playoff without winning their conference. Regardless of conference it is not unusual for the best 2 or 3 teams within that conference to be in the same division and therefore do not all get the opportunity to play in the conference championship. Look at the ACC this year for example. Clemson without a doubt is one of the best teams in the country and they had to play Pitt in the conference championship because Pitt was the top team from the other division.

I am in the camp that believes you should not have to win your conference championship to get in the playoffs. Last year is a perfect example of this with Alabama not getting to play in their conference championship game but then going on to win the national championship. What really needs to happen is we need to quit having conference championships and use that game slot as another playoff game slot and expand to 8 teams in the playoff. Another idea is to just copy what Division II football has been doing forever and just have a real playoff.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:

That's like saying wildcards should be eliminated from the NFL playoffs.

It's happened 6 times where a wildcard team has won the Super Bowl.

The playoffs are a little less about determining the best team. And this goes for any sport. It's about determining a champion. It's always, even through the regular season, about who is the best team on a particular day.

Let's say, just for argument.. That Alabama lost to Georgia in the SEC championship this year. Hurts didn't pull out the win. So, Tua gets knocked out, they lose by a TD. Tua would be back in time for the CFB playoffs. Do they deserve to not be in the playoffs? Are they not still one of the best teams?

Personally, I actually DO think Georgia should have been in the playoffs. The main reason I think they didn't get in is because it would have wound up being Alabama vs Georgia again 6 weeks or whatever after we just saw that game.

But.. That being said.. You kinda know that is an issue going in. Take Clemson. I've said all along, they pretty much had to go undefeated this year to make the playoffs. They hiccuped and lost a game each of the past 2 years, but they had a strong enough schedule to still get in despite those very close losses. They did not have that this year. Georgia knew that if they didn't win, it was going to be a question.. They didn't win.

The only team that couldn't really control their destiny was UCF. They did all they could do, short of perhaps scheduling better opponents or moving conferences.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:33 PM

I don't think UGA which lost by 20 to LSU has proven it is one of the best 4 teams.

In my view, Alabama should have been out if they lost to UGA. That would never happen given the SEC bias and hype though. Alabama played a very weak out of conference schedule and the SEC wasn't good this year.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 PM

I'm good with eliminating the wild card in the NFL. Most of the time the wild card teams have a mediocre record. It seems like a mulligan to give them another shot in the playoffs.

I think the regular season should count more in sports. I would reduce the college basketball tournament to 8 teams and have them play a best of 3 series.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:

In my view, Alabama should have been out if they lost to UGA. That would never happen given the SEC bias and hype though. Alabama played a very weak out of conference schedule and the SEC wasn't good this year.
The "SEC bias" BS has gotten pretty old. It is sort of like hearing drunks blame all of their problems on everybody else. A SEC team has won the national championship 9 of the last 12 years. It isn't being handed to them. They won their games and beat the team from another conference to win the championship. Quit crying about it and do something to improve and compete with them. Learning to play defense would be a good start for a couple of conferences in particular.

On the Alabama out of conference schedule topic, these games are scheduled years in advance. The played Louisville who have actually been pretty good the past 5 or more years. Just like Florida State last year. Alabama slaughters them in the first game of the year and it is like it breaks their spirit and their entire seasons go down the toilet. I know Alabama and the rest of the SEC teams schedule some crap games and it sucks but the current rules allow them to do it so they do. However, as I have pointed out in previous posts, the teams that most of the complainers are fans of have weak conference schedules so it isn't like they are playing a more difficult schedule than the SEC teams.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:00 PM

8,369 posts, read 8,363,445 times
What’s the excuse for the SEC scheduling FCS teams and FBS schools that have long histories of being scrimmage marshmallows? So many of those “matchups” are a joke, and everyone knows it.
The poor SEC bowl record last season speaks for itself, not to mention how the conference selects which teams go to which bowls.
Why wasn’t Texas A&M allowed to play Texas in the Texas bowl in Houston last year instead of Mizzou?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
What’s the excuse for the SEC scheduling FCS teams and FBS schools that have long histories of being scrimmage marshmallows? So many of those “matchups” are a joke, and everyone knows it.
The poor SEC bowl record last season speaks for itself, not to mention how the conference selects which teams go to which bowls.
Why wasn’t Texas A&M allowed to play Texas in the Texas bowl in Houston last year instead of Mizzou?

I don't have an excuse other than the rules allow it. I hate it as much as anybody but as long as they can schedule a marshmallow to get a break from the SEC schedule, they will. They typically schedule an easy team the week before the rivalry games. On the flip side, what is the other conferences excuse for only have maybe two legitimate teams and pretty much all the rest being "marshmallows?" Everybody likes to gripe about the couple of marshmallow games the SEC teams schedule but they don't want to talk about themselves having an almost entire schedule full of weak teams. Almost everybodies schedules sucked this year. Pick a team and look at their schedule. Look at Clemson or Oklahoma's schedules and explain to me how they were any better than Alabama or Georgia's. Both Clemson and Oklahoma had 3 maybe 4 legitimate games this year.

As for the SEC bowl record last year, pretty much all of them had key players that were entering the NFL draft that sat out. On top of that, the bowl games outside of the playoff games are a joke. What about the SEC's playoff games record since the playoff was established? Those games matter and all the key players play. Like most fans, I rarely watch much of any of the bowl games outside of the playoff games because they are a joke. What was the SEC record in useless bowls last year? I don't keep up with such pointless statistics.

I have no idea why the committee's pick the teams they do for some of those stupid bowls. I had no idea who played in the "Texas bowl," who won it or what city that waste of time bowl is played in and I won't watch it again this year. I have no idea who is in it or what day it is on. What does it matter anyway, that bowl is completely irrelevant.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM

3,138 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I have no idea why the committee's pick the teams they do for some of those stupid bowls. I had no idea who played in the "Texas bowl," who won it or what city that waste of time bowl is played in and I won't watch it again this year. I have no idea who is in it or what day it is on. What does it matter anyway, that bowl is completely irrelevant.
Many of those bowls are automatically slotted by conference record.

Southeastern Conference 2018:

#1 College Football Playoff. Automatic berth to one of the New Year's Six bowl games
#2 The Citrus Bowl versus Big Ten
Tier #1: Conference, in consultation with bowls and schools, assign teams to the following six bowls:

The Outback Bowl versus Big Ten
The Gator Bowl versus ACC or Big Ten
The Music City Bowl versus ACC or Big Ten
The Texas Bowl versus Big 12
The Belk Bowl versus ACC
The Liberty Bowl versus Big 12
Tier #2

#9 The Birmingham Bowl versus American
#10 The Independence Bowl versus ACC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_t...ege_bowl_games

Old 12-14-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The "SEC bias" BS has gotten pretty old. It is sort of like hearing drunks blame all of their problems on everybody else. A SEC team has won the national championship 9 of the last 12 years. It isn't being handed to them. They won their games and beat the team from another conference to win the championship. Quit crying about it and do something to improve and compete with them. Learning to play defense would be a good start for a couple of conferences in particular.

On the Alabama out of conference schedule topic, these games are scheduled years in advance. The played Louisville who have actually been pretty good the past 5 or more years. Just like Florida State last year. Alabama slaughters them in the first game of the year and it is like it breaks their spirit and their entire seasons go down the toilet. I know Alabama and the rest of the SEC teams schedule some crap games and it sucks but the current rules allow them to do it so they do. However, as I have pointed out in previous posts, the teams that most of the complainers are fans of have weak conference schedules so it isn't like they are playing a more difficult schedule than the SEC teams.
I wasn't blaming Alabama for scheduling Louisville.

My point is they didn't play a tough schedule this year but they would have still got in to the playoffs again without winning their conference over 1 loss conference champs.

Clemson has beat Alabama...for a national title.

Most of the SEC titles have been Saban coached teams. And the SEC didn't win the title collectively. That tells you nothing about how competitve the conferences were as a whole.

I could say SEC needs to learn how to play offense and defense given Alabama rarely loses in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or