U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:38 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,447,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...ball-ryan-day/

Honestly did not see this coming, to tell you the truth. Can't help but wonder if Purdue broke him...i guess there's more to his health than originally thought.

I don't like him but he is undeniably a great coach. Hard to know how much is due to his health or recruiting or behavioral issues or what. I know I would be happy if he became my university's Head Coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,236,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This has all the makings of him going to
I get that Florida fans have long memories and felt jilted when he left that school for different health reasons. Nonetheless, I find it annoying that some people assume it's a behavior pattern and this is just a ploy he's making to get out of a job and get to another one.

Urban looked absolutely miserable on the sidelines most of this season and he has described some serious health issues and debilitating issues that he's experiencing. He said at the presser that he's "done with coaching" and I believe him. It's not like he needs the money.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,781,508 times
He'll retire as a Buckeye. I know some of you can't understand the OSU brand but Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State. Retire on the summit.

What would be great would be for him to take over for Gene Smith- when OSU hopefully finds a way to relieve Smith of his duties.

But You don't run off to USC. Correction he will not run off to USC. Mark this post.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,781,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...ball-ryan-day/

Honestly did not see this coming, to tell you the truth. Can't help but wonder if Purdue broke him...i guess there's more to his health than originally thought.
Purdue!!!

Nah. A bad loss happens. Look at his record against AP Top 5 teams. 3 National Titles. His Win %.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,887,916 times
Ohio State's athletic director discusses the severity of Meyer's headaches.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...o-take-you-out

Meyer had surgery in 2014 in an attempt to drain his brain cyst, and apparently it was unsuccessful.

Barring some new medical solution, don't expect Meyer to ever coach again.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,887,916 times
Default Ohio State QB not surprised by Meyer's retirement

<< “Coach has had a lot of health history the last couple years … so I knew that he would eventually stop coaching. When, I didn’t know, but I knew that with the headaches he’s been having … I would tell him personally if it was affecting his life, he should stop coaching.” >>

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-of-his-health

Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Purdue!!!

Nah. A bad loss happens. Look at his record against AP Top 5 teams. 3 National Titles. His Win %.

Only one number comes to mind... 31-0

As in, thirty one to nothing.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,374,987 times
Great coach and nice family, but your health and your family come first. Don’t be like Vince Lombardi. Lombardi died young due to unhealthy lifestyle and the stress of being a head coach took its toll on him.

Relax, Urban, you got nothing to prove. Life is too short.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:39 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,991,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Great coach and nice family, but your health and your family come first. Don’t be like Vince Lombardi. Lombardi died young due to unhealthy lifestyle and the stress of being a head coach took its toll on him.

Relax, Urban, you got nothing to prove. Life is too short.
Sithlord72 is right. When Lombardi resigned as Green Bay's coach and simply did his general manager duties at Green Bay the lack of anything to do ate him up. He left and became head coach for the Washington Redskins. That lasted one season and in 1970 he passed away of colon cancer at the age of 57.

Meyer's situation regarding an inoperable cyst on his brain reminds me of Gary Kubiak, who was head coach of the Baltimore Ravens in 2013 when a TIA stroke floored him in front of a national tv audience on a Sunday evening game on NBC. He had another episode in 2016 while being the Broncos head coach.

There are other situations like Mike Ditka and Dan Reeves.

I'd travel around the country with the family. Life is short. Enjoy it.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,236,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Only one number comes to mind... 31-0

As in, thirty one to nothing.
When I think of Urban-era scores that end in 0, I prefer this one. Hint: It has a much larger margin of victory than your score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football