U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:53 PM

6,500 posts, read 4,242,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Well the Pac-12 may not be that great either. Oregon won, but what an ugly game! I really hope Washington plays well against Ohio State, but I'm not holding my breath. It also appears that Utah is going down to Northwestern. Who is worse, Big-10, or Pac-12?
I wouldn't want to be going up against Ohio State in this game. OSU feels they should have been in the play offs for the title. I tend to agree. Ohio State is going to press all the way to the end of the game to run up the score, just to prove it to the naysayers. The [players may want to give Urban Meyer a going away present, as well.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 01-01-2019 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 05:27 PM

356 posts, read 134,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How is that better? The whole idea is that certain teams are only in the Top 25 because they play in weak conferences.

Take the South Carolina vs Virginia bowl game, for example. The logic is that SC plays in a much more competitive conference than Virginia and would likely be competing for conference titles year in year out if it played the likes of Duke, BC, Syracuse, etc. Yet they couldn't muster a single point against the Cavaliers. A basketball school. How tough can the SEC really be?
The SEC is, by far, the best conference. There are very few easy games in the SEC, if any at all. While the top 25 is, to some extent, a popularity contest, it's the best we have. The only thing better is betting odds, where people put their money where their mouths are. That would be the most accurate in my opinion short of having a 36 team playoff. Georgia should have actuallt beaten Alabama or very close last year and this. THEY should have been in the playoffs rather than Notre Dame or Oklahoma but people didn't want two from the SEC.

The Pac 12 is laughable. And who in this thread was ripping on the Big 10 and watching Ohio State demolish Washington.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:38 PM

3,285 posts, read 1,865,747 times
Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tenn, and Vandy didn’t scare anyone this year. There is no “best” conference year over year. Sure, Alabama is rolling, but no other team from the conference has been dominant the last 10 years.

As for polls, Washington is the 9th best team?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:14 PM

3,737 posts, read 1,820,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
The SEC is, by far, the best conference. There are very few easy games in the SEC, if any at all. While the top 25 is, to some extent, a popularity contest, it's the best we have. The only thing better is betting odds, where people put their money where their mouths are. That would be the most accurate in my opinion short of having a 36 team playoff. Georgia should have actuallt beaten Alabama or very close last year and this. THEY should have been in the playoffs rather than Notre Dame or Oklahoma but people didn't want two from the SEC.

The Pac 12 is laughable. And who in this thread was ripping on the Big 10 and watching Ohio State demolish Washington.
Well, they were demolishing them. It's a bit closer now, but the winner really isn't in doubt.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:20 PM

3,737 posts, read 1,820,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tenn, and Vandy didn’t scare anyone this year. There is no “best” conference year over year. Sure, Alabama is rolling, but no other team from the conference has been dominant the last 10 years.

As for polls, Washington is the 9th best team?
Georgia, Florida, and LSU are pretty good and almost always are, but nobody is up to Alabama's level, other than possibly Clemson. Alabama pretty much can get any player they want. I have to wonder if most are really student-athletes though.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 PM

356 posts, read 134,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Georgia, Florida, and LSU are pretty good and almost always are, but nobody is up to Alabama's level, other than possibly Clemson. Alabama pretty much can get any player they want. I have to wonder if most are really student-athletes though.
In BOTH games, this year and last againts Alabama, Georgia should have beaten Alabama. In fact, in both games combined, Alabama only lead the games by a total of 9 plays....9 plays. Georgia should be number 2 0r 3. Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn.....cmon, how can anyone say SEC isn't the best by far. Try playing in that conference.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:02 PM

4,014 posts, read 1,572,345 times
Big 10 is too cold.
anything north of Maryland
ain't getting the speed they need.
build some home domes. they will come.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,856 posts, read 33,361,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
build some home domes. they will come.
There are 3 stadiums in the Big Ten that seat 90,000+. It would cost $1 billion to build a dome that seats that many people. No university is going to build a billion-dollar dome in the foreseeable future. There's not that much TV money in the game yet.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:06 PM

28,426 posts, read 26,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
SEC teams need to prove their superiority on the field. So far, they have been failing in that regard.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:30 PM

3,285 posts, read 1,865,747 times
I’m sure one of the diehards will be along in a minute to tell us how Georgia didn’t really care about this game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or