Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:05 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Advertisements

Big 12 has three middling teams (OU, UT & WV)

Old 01-03-2019, 05:17 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Big 12 has three middling teams (OU, UT & WV)

I think we found something we can agree on finally.

After the Alabama/Oklahoma playoff game, I believe it is pretty obvious Oklahoma is a middling team. They definitely were not close to the caliber of Alabama.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
People keep saying Georgia was deserving because they put up a better fight against Bama than OU, but we need to remember that the Dawgs have played the Tide now twice on their own turf.

Quote:
ATLANTA — When the Georgia players first rushed out of the tunnel to take the field inside Mercedes-Benz stadium prior to the start of Monday’s national championship game against Alabama, they were met with raucous cheers and yells from the crowd. When the Alabama players stormed out moments later, boos drowned out much of the noise created by Crimson Tide supporters.

And thus the tone was set for what ultimately amounted to a home-game experience for Georgia, the team that hasn’t had a shot for a national title in over 30 years.
https://www.redandblack.com/cfp/geor...1fb7dd465.html

This is why Georgia was even less deserving of that final playoff spot. They couldn't even seal the deal in what was effectively a home game for them.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:52 PM

255 posts, read 69,198 times
The SEC only plays 8 conference games which allows them to stuff their OOC schedules with schools such as Mercer, Charleston Southern and other schools that nobody outside the Deep South had ever heard of and plays the overwhelming majority of their OOC games at home, on top rarely plays home & home contests against OOC top-flight competition

That also explains why they've flooded the NFL with more busts than any other conference from Tebow to Manziel to Richardson to Clowney and lots of others with nonstop proclamations of greatness from ESPN.

It also explains why OL and DL from the SEC just aren't that good when compared with the NFL's best DLs such as Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, NONE of whom went to SEC schools, since SEC schools are NOT noted for producing standout OLs and DLs unlike what ESPN would lead you to believe.

The SEC had a chance to move to a 9 game conference schedule at a conference meeting in 2013, but the resolution was voted down 13-1, with only Saban voting yes.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:55 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Yep Marv, that’s obvious to everyone outside the SEC.
Plus I think it is an abomination that the NCAA allows OOC FCS games to count towards bowl eligibility.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv201 View Post
That also explains why they've flooded the NFL with more busts than any other conference from Tebow to Manziel to Richardson to Clowney and lots of others with nonstop proclamations of greatness from ESPN.
Clowney has made 3 Pro Bowls in 5 seasons. How does that qualify as a bust?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv201 View Post
The SEC only plays 8 conference games which allows them to stuff their OOC schedules with schools such as Mercer, Charleston Southern and other schools that nobody outside the Deep South had ever heard of and plays the overwhelming majority of their OOC games at home, on top rarely plays home & home contests against OOC top-flight competition

It also explains why OL and DL from the SEC just aren't that good when compared with the NFL's best DLs such as Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, NONE of whom went to SEC schools, since SEC schools are NOT noted for producing standout OLs and DLs unlike what ESPN would lead you to believe.

The SEC had a chance to move to a 9 game conference schedule at a conference meeting in 2013, but the resolution was voted down 13-1, with only Saban voting yes.
You cherry picked some players that didn't translate to the NFL very well.

The problem with your argument is that the teams with the most active NFL players are in fact SEC teams. For 2018 it was Florida, LSU and Alabama in the top 3. I believe for this year Georgia is now sneaking up near the top if I remember an article I read a few weeks ago correctly.

So while everyone just keeps whining and moaning about the SEC's schedule and saying they are overrated and all that nonsense, the SEC keeps consistently making the playoffs and playing for championships and then sending more players than anyone to the NFL that make it on and stay on active rosters.

As for Tebow and Manziel, I believe everyone in the country except for their own teams, knew they would never translate to NFL play very well. Tebow could have made it and had a career in another position such as tight end but he wouldn't move to another position even though the coaching staff tried. Richardson was apparently too lazy to put in the work it takes to stay in the NFL even though he had the talent. I thought Clowney has done fairly or am I missing something?

Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
How did a thread with such a subjective statement based on no data whatsoever receive for pages worth of replies? haha. Teach me your ways sir.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Nine of the last 12 national championships have been won by an SEC team. That seems like pretty convincing proof.

In the 21 years of the BCS and CFP eras, SEC teams have won the Natty 11 times with five different teams: Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama. Add Georgia playing for the national in 2017, and that speaks to some pretty remarkable depth. I'm not an SEC homeboy, but the people who claim that the SEC is basically one good team and 13 mediocre ones is smoking crack.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In the 21 years of the BCS and CFP eras, SEC teams have won the Natty 11 times with five different teams: Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama. Add Georgia playing for the national in 2017, and that speaks to some pretty remarkable depth. I'm not an SEC homeboy, but the people who claim that the SEC is basically one good team and 13 mediocre ones is smoking crack.
The last non-Bama SEC team to win a championship was Auburn 9 years ago. What does Auburn's title nearly a decade ago have to do with the relative strength of each conference at the time this thread was created?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football