U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,349,486 times

Advertisements

After the Clemson-Bama game, I think ND needs more credit. They lost by one less point than Bama and allowed 14 fewer points. Truth be told Clemson scored most while their best defensive player was out of the game. And I say that as a Clemson grad.

And I do not think Ohio State deserved to jump Oklahoma or Notre Dame. The lost to Purdue and would have been absolutely crushed by either Bama or Clemson.

I understand strength of schedule comes into play but I think UGA is a bit high given its three losses. With Kentucky on the rise and Florida mounting a comeback I think they will have their hands full in the east next year. I'm thinking they have Bama as their cross division game but cannot remember with certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 PM

354 posts, read 130,088 times
I agree with the ND assessment.

I disagree regarding Ohio State. O U did play down to their competition. However, unlike many, not all, of the stiff, run first Big 10 teams, Ohio State can throw the ball and they have exceptional skill players. These are the kinds of teams that give Alabama trouble, teams that can throw. Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia(with Fromm) and Ohio State. I think Ohio State could have give Alabama a decent game. Alabama can't cover. Playing in the SEC, aside from Georgia, they never have to.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:38 PM

8,406 posts, read 8,398,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
I completely disagree that Georgia was fired up. They were actually down as they were so close to making it into the playoffs. They were up on Alabama by 14 points in the third quarter and they let it get away. No, they definitely were not psyched up for the game. It was a big let down for them.

As far as UCF, even if they would have beaten LSU, a team with half it's players missing, it takes more than playing one good team per year. If you want to be considered for the playoffs then you have to play some big boys.
They sure looked fired up to me and talked a big game prior, so that weak excuse “they didn’t want to be there” is just for losers.
Texas played an SEC “big boy” and kicked their butts for everyone to see.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM

8,406 posts, read 8,398,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I wouldn't put Texas in the top 10. They got a huge win over Georgia, but as we say in the state of Texas - they 'squirreled' out of a lot of games by a single score or less. A lot. Heck even the Georgia win was by less than a single score. At first I was scratching my head at how they sneaked into a New Years bowl game with 4 losses, but then again I remembered that this is UT, and we all know how these things work wink wink! They were easily the best team in the state, but other than that come on.

It's hard to judge UCF because the system is rigged against all G5. It's kind of a circular-dependency type of thing - on the one hand the talking heads say UCF needs to prove themselves by strength of schedule. But realistically that is not possible. It's just hard to tell unless we have a legitimate playoff instead of popularity contests.
Texas played three top 5 teams and beat two of them and beat two more top 25 squads. They also could’ve easily been 12-1 going into the bowls/playoffs.
The Georgia game was over when it was 28-7 in the mid 4th then UT slacked off and let them score twice in garbage time. That game wasn’t as close as the score indicated, and anyone who watched it knows that.

Face it, The Dawgs were overrated.
But maybe we can say Bama was just bored to be in the Big Game again and let an inferior team whip them?
(Wink, wink)
Otherwise, I don’t think a 4 loss team belongs in the top ten.

Never heard of the “squirreled out” term, but squeaked by is apropos.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 PM

3,181 posts, read 1,814,186 times
Quote:
I completely disagree that Georgia was fired up. They were actually down as they were so close to making it into the playoffs. They were up on Alabama by 14 points in the third quarter and they let it get away. No, they definitely were not psyched up for the game. It was a big let down for them.

As far as UCF, even if they would have beaten LSU, a team with half it's players missing, it takes more than playing one good team per year. If you want to be considered for the playoffs then you have to play some big boys.
Funny, because the Georgia players were all over social media talking smack.

UCF is more than willing to play good teams. No one will schedule them.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 AM

3,181 posts, read 1,814,186 times
For what it's worth, conference ranking opinion piece:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...season#slide10

Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 AM

28,304 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Quote:
I think Ohio State could have give Alabama a decent game. Alabama can't cover. Playing in the SEC, aside from Georgia, they never have to.
Ohio State's defense would have done them in.

It's not that Alabama can't cover. It's that it's difficult to cover elite QBs and elite receivers. This is also a struggle for NFL defenses, even the good ones. There are busts in coverages every single Sunday. Good QBs are able to recognize these mistakes and penalize defenses. Not every QB can penalize defenses for busted coverages because the QB may lack the arm strength, vision, or pocket elusiveness. And not all receivers are gifted enough to stretch defenses out to their breaking point.

Clemson has a great offense. We don't see offenses THAT good very often in college football. Their QB is the highest rated HS prospect of all time, they have two 6'4+ receivers with elite speed and athleticism who are very well-coached, and their RB will likely be a Heisman candidate next year. Justyn Ross, as a freshman, is probably the best WR in college football right now, and I'm sure Saban feared this day would come the moment he left the state of Alabama. There's not much a defensive back can do with a receiver cut from that mold, especially when forced into 1-on-1 matchups.

DB and safety are two of the hardest positions in football and your failures are far more obvious than they are at other positions. If a DT gets moved, or an ILB bites up a little too hard on a play action, the consequence is rarely disaster. The secondary is the last line of defense, so if a corner is a little out of position or stumbles only a bit, it could cost his team 6 points even if the unit as a whole played sound. Secondaries tend to be the "weak link" of defenses because their jobs are much harder (especially with PI rules that greatly favor the offense). It's much easier to find big athletic guys to shut down the run than it is to find guys who process information quickly enough to really master the DB and safety position.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 PM

354 posts, read 130,088 times
O State's defense might have done them in but it was marginally better than Oklahoma's and Oklahoma sure put up alot of points on Alabama. No, Ohio State definitely would have given Alabama a close game. Their offense is very dynamic and fast with skill players. They don't just line up and run, run and then pass on 3rd and long like most SEC teams.

Clemson does have a great offense, obviously, but it wasn't necessarily their 6'4 receivers and QB. NONE of that would have happened had Clemson's offensive line dominated Alabama's D line, which is almost unheard of. Clemson's O line played out of their minds. That's what surprised me the most. Again, in the SEC, Alabama's D line is designed stop what? You guessed it, the run. When Clemson passed on 1st down, the D linemen were too busy guarding the run rather than trying to rush the passer. And by the 3rd quarter, the D line was gassed and Clemson poured it on. Clemson's O line impressed me the most.

Alabama would do itself a big favor if it played a real team or two outside the SEC and experience what it's like to play different styles like teams that pass. They don't face that in the SEC, aside from Georgia.

In the NFL, teams don't pay D backs like they used to. It's not worth it. No matter how good they are, most DB's will get burned if the QB is given enough time. That's why teams are now putting money into players on the D line, like Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack because they can get to the passer and make the play breaks down. You don't even hear the term shut down corner in the NFL anymore.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM

28,304 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Quote:
O State's defense might have done them in but it was marginally better than Oklahoma's and Oklahoma sure put up alot of points on Alabama. No, Ohio State definitely would have given Alabama a close game. Their offense is very dynamic and fast with skill players. They don't just line up and run, run and then pass on 3rd and long like most SEC teams.
People need to stop bringing up the Oklahoma game because Bama put that one away in the 1st quarter. OU was playing catch up all night.

Oklahoma was able to find some success against Bama in part because Murray rushed for 109 yards and a TD. He's also able to keep the Sooner offense on schedule by moving the chains with his feet. Ohio State didn't have that dimension to their offense this year and obvious passing downs would have been a struggle for them the same way they were against Washington.

Also, OSU doesn't have STUDS at WR the way Clemson does. There's a difference between being a good 5-star HS talent and being ready for the NFL right now. The best NFL corners would have matchup problems with Ross.

Quote:
Clemson does have a great offense, obviously, but it wasn't necessarily their 6'4 receivers and QB. NONE of that would have happened had Clemson's offensive line dominated Alabama's D line, which is almost unheard of.
It's obviously all of the above. Not even Brady could do what he does without a great line giving him time to read the field and complete throws. But the QB and WR are obviously the difference here for Clemson. They made clutch plays all night, including 2 big throws to Ross on 3rd and long, and their passing game was too much for the Bama secondary to handle. Much credit goes to the Clemson offensive line, but not any arm talent can make the throws Lawrence was making, and not any receiver can make the catches Ross and Higgins were making.

Quote:
Clemson's O line played out of their minds. That's what surprised me the most. Again, in the SEC, Alabama's D line is designed stop what? You guessed it, the run. When Clemson passed on 1st down, the D linemen were too busy guarding the run rather than trying to rush the passer. And by the 3rd quarter, the D line was gassed and Clemson poured it on. Clemson's O line impressed me the most.
This is totally ridiculous. Do you actually think Alabama was playing the run on 3rd and 9? They brought a 5-man rush here, but the ball came out on time (ball gets snapped at 1 second mark and leaves his hand by the 4 second mark). Lawrence takes a big hit and the ball is slightly inaccurate, but it didn't matter because Ross went Megatron and reeled it in. There's no defense against that. It's simply better offense. Just like there's no real defense against some of the throws Tua was making earlier in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd6KFtFtN2w

Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM

9,444 posts, read 7,123,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's obviously all of the above. Not even Brady could do what he does without a great line giving him time to read the field and complete throws. But the QB and WR are obviously the difference here for Clemson. They made clutch plays all night, including 2 big throws to Ross on 3rd and long, and their passing game was too much for the Bama secondary to handle. Much credit goes to the Clemson offensive line, but not any arm talent can make the throws Lawrence was making, and not any receiver can make the catches Ross and Higgins were making.
Watching it back.. Lawrence had several pretty bad misfires. I mean, he was far from perfect throughout that game. But he was perfect some of it.

Some of Justyn Ross' catches were just otherworldly.

There was also some bad no-calls early on when he targeted Hunter Renfrow. There was one throw, the defender had tackled him before the camera even turned to follow the throw to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or