U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 PM

348 posts, read 126,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
They played Louisville this year, a team that when they scheduled them looked good. They pass?

They played FSU. They pass?

They played USC. They pass?
Ha ha ha, this is funny. They played FSU last year, and FSU was completely awful that year. They played USC in 2016. Gee, why didn't you just include teams they played from the 1970's too. And yes, they played Louisville this year and guess what Louisville record was???? 2 wins 10 losses.

If Alabama had to face decent teams from other conferences that throw the ball, they would be better off for it. That's why Georgia does well against them as Fromm can throw the ball. And Oklahoma throws the ball and they put up big numbers againts them. And that's why Clemson mopped the floor with them. The SEC teams, while overall being the best, primarily play smash mouth football and run first. Alabama would know how to stop the pass if they played teams that actually passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 8,369,074 times
I agree with that.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,928,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
The SEC teams, while overall being the best, primarily play smash mouth football and run first. Alabama would know how to stop the pass if they played teams that actually passed.
Quarterbacks in the Southeastern Conference that have played a running game have struggled in the National Football League. Cam Newton is an example.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,795,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Ha ha ha, this is funny. They played FSU last year, and FSU was completely awful that year. They played USC in 2016. Gee, why didn't you just include teams they played from the 1970's too. And yes, they played Louisville this year and guess what Louisville record was???? 2 wins 10 losses.
I guess you missed the point. They scheduled those games years in advance. It isn't like the NFL that pits the best against the best.

The SEC isn't really smash mouth football anymore. Most SEC are about 4-2.5 run to pass now.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:25 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the point. They scheduled those games years in advance. It isn't like the NFL that pits the best against the best.

The SEC isn't really smash mouth football anymore. Most SEC are about 4-2.5 run to pass now.

Yeah, but Clemson is scheduling years in advance.. It seems to be working out for them.

2010 - Auburn @ Auburn, ranked #15 - Finished #1 at 14-0
2011 - Auburn @ Death Valley, ranked #21 - Finished unranked at 8-5
2012 - Auburn @ Neutral Site, ranked #25 - Finished unranked at 3-9
2013 - Georgia @ Death Valley, ranked #5 - Finished unranked at 8-5
2014 - Georgia @ Georgia, ranked #12 - Finished #9 at 10-3
2015 - Notre Dame @ Death Valley, ranked #6, Finished #11 at 10-3
2016 - Auburn @ Auburn, not ranked, finished #24 at 8-5
2017 - Auburn @ Clemson, ranked #13, finished #10 at 10-4
2018 - Texas A&M @ Clemson, unranked, finished Ranked #16 at 9-4

Future..

2019 - Texas A&M @ Clemson
2020, 2022, 2023, 2027, 2028, 2031 - Notre Dame
2024 - Georgia @ Atlanta
2025, 2026 - LSU (1 and 1)
2029, 2030 - Georgia (1 and 1)

Now.. We have no clue what LSU and Georgia will be like that far out, but.. I'd imagine these contracts have out clauses, like A&M did with Oregon. Once Oregon went to crap, A&M backed out and subbed in Clemson. 1 game out of 9 a team finished with a sub-.500 record.

Notre Dame is.. We can argue that one as they're independent, but play as part of the ACC, are they truly out of conference?

And, you can bring up a valid point that these teams they are playing are all SEC teams.. But there are other consistently good programs out there. Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Ohio State, Penn State.. Generally you can bet on them being a top 25 team year after year.

Alabama does seem to be taking steps towards this. I looked at their future schedule a while back, they have a 1 and 1 against texas in 2022 and 2023.. And a 1 and 1 against Notre Dame in 2028 and 2029

But.. Neutral site games against USC and Miami in 2020 and 2021.. And I think a while back I saw they had a neutral site game against Duke scheduled. Duke. A fine schedule for basketball, but.. Football.. that'd be a bit like Clemson scheduling Vandy. Yeah, sometimes they jump up and have themselves a nice little year, but.. Not too often. I don't see that Duke game on the schedule anymore, so.. I may be misremembering or they may have taken it off the schedule.. Oh.. No, that's next year. the kickoff game. Who scheduled THAT? I give them a pass.. I don't think that was necessarily of Alabama's making there.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Excellent post. I don't disagree that Clemson is doing a good job putting at least one really tough game on their schedule yearly. And I talk smack about Clemson mostly tongue in cheek. Of the kids who went to college from Spartanburg, it was a pretty even split from Clemson to SC.

All that said, I think Bama plays a much harder conference schedule than Clemson. And do so year after year. The bottom of the SEC is better than the bottom of the ACC.

And finally, there is a lot of truth to the fact that Bama could play a tougher out of conference schedule, but until the folks at the networks writing those big damn checks make them, they won't.

Last edited by m1a1mg; 01-09-2019 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times
The SEC went 6-6 in bowl games this year. SC got beat 28-0 by UVA.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
All that said, I think Bama plays a much harder conference schedule than Clemson. And do so year after year. The bottom of the SEC is better than the bottom of the ACC.
No, I'd say the meat of the SEC is better than the meat of the ACC. The bottom is the bottom and the top is the top in both

Tennessee, Vandy and Arkansas.. They'll occasionally jump up.. But.. They're about like Duke, Wake Forest and Virginia.. Normally, they're the cellar dwellers.

ACC Coastal was just awful this year. And, some surprising down years.. Louisville was expected to be fairly bad, but not epically bad like they were. FSU is normally a very good program that's going through a rebuild.. NC State didn't have a bad year until the bowl game. Syracuse is up and coming. VT is coming back around it looks like. Georgia Tech and Miami could be on the upswing. Boston College, assuming their coach doesn't keel over from a heart attack.. They're making progress.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No, I'd say the meat of the SEC is better than the meat of the ACC. The bottom is the bottom and the top is the top in both
The top of the SEC, and not just #1, is much better. If we go with the obvious that Clemson and Bama are the top of their respective conferences, who is #2, 3, and 4 in each? This year.

SEC: Georgia, LSU, Florida. (I'd switch for A&M equally)
ACC: Syracuse, Pitt, NC State

The bottom of both is pretty bad this year. UNC and Arkansas wash each other out. But I think Tennessee would whip Louisville. Mississippi versus Duke would be fun to watch, but I'd give a slight edge to Ole Miss. And I think Vandy could take Wake.

I agree with a lot of what you said, with a couple of caveats. Georgia Tech will probably go down before they come back. The new coach is going to have to totally rebuild his team. And I'm not sure about VT. I was really surprised they took a step back this year.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,414,730 times
UGA fan here- congratulations on doing what we did not do. You kept your foot on the gas, which Kirby Smart refused to do these past 2 years after we got the lead. After listening to Dabo after the game, I'm almost ready to switch from UGA to Clemson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football