U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:17 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
After being invited to the white house to have more cheap fast food, the Tigers have now been invited to have a real championship feast by Michael Strahan, Ayesha Curry, Quavo (a wack rapper), and the owner of a Michelin star restaurant in Chicago. Watch Trump take credit for Clemson when they start eating go on their gourmet food tour.
I don't get why people are so up in arms about this. Frankly, I think they should have called up Ben's Chili Bowl in DC and had them cater it. That would still be considered fast food, and probably wouldn't have the 'stigma' of McDonalds and the like. Ben's is a DC institution for those who don't know, it's basically a hot dog stand. I presume they've removed Bill Cosby from their list of people who eat there for free. That's about the only controversy associated with that place.

But, the honor there is the invite to the White House. I haven't heard any of the players say anything bad.. Which.. Perhaps some of them may think it, but.. Smart move keeping your mouth shut. Don't want to be dragged into that controversy. Bask in the glory of your big win.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-19-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 PM

1,223 posts, read 578,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't get why people are so up in arms about this. Frankly, I think they should have called up Ben's Chili Bowl in DC and had them cater it. That would still be considered fast food, and probably wouldn't have the 'stigma' of McDonalds and the like. Ben's is a DC institution for those who don't know, it's basically a hot dog stand. I presume they've removed Bill Cosby from their list of people who eat there for free. That's about the only controversy associated with that place.

But, the honor there is the invite to the White House. I haven't heard any of the players say anything bad.. Which.. Perhaps some of them may think it, but.. Smart move keeping your mouth shut. Don't want to be dragged into that controversy. Bask in the glory of your big win.
Well, it's tacky. These athletes deserved better than that. They eat that stuff back in their campus...probably daily. He has his pick of caterers in the DC area to choose from but he chose McDonalds, Wendy's, and Burger King...lol. Good thing the team will get a real feast.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Well, it's tacky. These athletes deserved better than that. They eat that stuff back in their campus...probably daily. He has his pick of caterers in the DC area to choose from but he chose McDonalds, Wendy's, and Burger King...lol. Good thing the team will get a real feast.

You seen what the players are eating these days? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some of them are heading over to the Huddle House (I think that's still there in Clemson) and McDonalds and the like.

But, that new $55 million football facility with its own cafeteria and chefs preparing healthy options.. I'm willing to bet that McDonalds was something of a treat for them. It's certainly not their standard fare.

Now.. Is it what is expected when invited to the White House? I'm sure it isn't. And I'm sure better choices could have been made.. I mean, when I travel, I specifically avoid chains that I can get at home. Which is why I mentioned something like Ben's Chili Bowl.. Probably a better choice.

But.. Food isn't exactly the reason you go to the White House.

I think the entire program has handled everything. From winning to the celebration to this, with the utmost class.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 AM

1,223 posts, read 578,430 times
Quote:
You seen what the players are eating these days? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some of them are heading over to the Huddle House (I think that's still there in Clemson) and McDonalds and the like.

But, that new $55 million football facility with its own cafeteria and chefs preparing healthy options.. I'm willing to bet that McDonalds was something of a treat for them. It's certainly not their standard fare.

Now.. Is it what is expected when invited to the White House? I'm sure it isn't. And I'm sure better choices could have been made.. I mean, when I travel, I specifically avoid chains that I can get at home. Which is why I mentioned something like Ben's Chili Bowl.. Probably a better choice.

But.. Food isn't exactly the reason you go to the White House.

I think the entire program has handled everything. From winning to the celebration to this, with the utmost class.
True enough any other option would have been better than what they had. I hope they accept the other invites.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
True enough any other option would have been better than what they had. I hope they accept the other invites.
I doubt it. The one in Chicago.. I've seen a few people talking about how the portions at that place, the players would probably wind up going to McDonalds afterwards to fill up.

But, I suspect, if they reply to any of those at all.. It will be something along the lines of a "Thank you, however, our student athletes are currently focusing on their studies. Clemson takes great pride in their student-athlete graduation rates" or something along those lines.

That, and I can't really see the school spending the money to fly the players to Chicago for a meal.

And.. Once again.. That would be the class move to make.Stay the hell out of politics. That's not just smart advise for the Clemson football program.. It's good advice for everyone.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:

It's more so funny that he served a bunch of Big Macs on silver platters and then bragged about paying for it.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM

7,581 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Here is a list of the top 15 most valuable college football programs according to the Wall Street Journal. https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...ams-128030289/

Clemson didn't make the list.

That's why I say Clemson is the closest thing to a Rudy type of story in college football.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:24 PM

149 posts, read 28,551 times
I've been watching CFB since the mid-sixties and have been addicted to it since then as a UCLA fan, and that true freshman QB Trevor Lawrence is extraordinary; watching him over the next two seasons is going to be a joy to watch.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 AM

1,130 posts, read 553,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
That was an impressive win. As a fan of an SEC team I rarely see any Clemson games throughout the season -- but boy they made a believer out of me last night!

The CFP committee got it right. These were the right 2 teams for the finals.

Enjoy the victory!
I agree. I just urge the Clemson football to recognize their championship is in "football" which does not translate automatically to a championship in boxing or mixed martial arts. This former Clemson lineman got knocked out in a bar fight in GA. The opponent was much smaller but with legitimate "hand speed". It reminds me of the great NFL player known as Too Tall Jones. He excelled in football but was unable to find similar success in boxing. He said the speed and strength applicable to football was not as important as hand speed in boxing which he lacked. He was knocked down badly by a much smaller boxer for that reason - hand speed. The former Clemson lineman in this scene was just annihilated by a fast punch.
I remember when the 6'7" Brad Imes, a former Missouri lineman, was beaten by a much smaller collegiate wrestler - Rashad Evans. Some of those Clemson guys would hit a wall against MMA experts.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/16/carol...earn-knockout/

Old 03-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Amari Rodgers out for the season with a torn ACL.. On a normal team, this would be a huge loss.. With Clemson's depth at WR.. Don't think they'll blink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football