U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of these reasons was the most important cause of lower ratings?
People are tired of Bama and Clemson. 11 47.83%
The game start time is too late for a worknight. 2 8.70%
The game should be played on a Saturday. 8 34.78%
The game wasn't close. 1 4.35%
Other reason (state in post below) 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
447 posts, read 471,733 times
Reputation: 511

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Me, a pretty big sports fan, forgot about the game. I watched TV that night, but didn't catch the game being on when flipping channels. It obviously did not warrant my interest any more than watching a mid-major basketball game on ESPN 2 between teams that I've barely heard of.

Believe me, my indifference wouldn't have been there if different teams were playing.
So you’re saying you would’ve watched if only the game featured two teams that sucked more? You don’t sound like a pretty big sports fan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Reputation: 12192
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
It wasn't the can't miss nail biter that the previous 3 title games offered.
That and the late Monday thing.

Well.. I don't know about everyone else, but until Clemson put together that 10 minute drive in the 4th quarter.. While I got comfortable when they went up 38-16.. I didn't consider it over until that 4th quarter drive.

And.. I had a bit of the flop sweats when I saw Hurts come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Suburban wasteland of NC
313 posts, read 186,862 times
Reputation: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well.. I don't know about everyone else, but until Clemson put together that 10 minute drive in the 4th quarter.. While I got comfortable when they went up 38-16.. I didn't consider it over until that 4th quarter drive.

And.. I had a bit of the flop sweats when I saw Hurts come in.
Yep, GA had a pretty decent lead at the half last year.

If other schools are tired of AL vs Clemson then they should beat them. They both won 15 games to get there.

That's one of the things that prevents me from getting into following the NFL, too many 'throw away' games. In NCAAF they have to win every single week to have a shot. Lose even one game and you might be out, like Ohio State. Pair that with the inability to watch any team anywhere in the country without overpaying for either Direct TV or that NFL website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 07:01 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Reputation: 12192
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
Yep, GA had a pretty decent lead at the half last year.

If other schools are tired of AL vs Clemson then they should beat them. They both won 15 games to get there.

That's one of the things that prevents me from getting into following the NFL, too many 'throw away' games. In NCAAF they have to win every single week to have a shot. Lose even one game and you might be out, like Ohio State. Pair that with the inability to watch any team anywhere in the country without overpaying for either Direct TV or that NFL website

Actually.. Look into YouTubeTV.. A GPS spoofer on your phone will allow you to see any local market's TV stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,174 posts, read 4,637,341 times
Reputation: 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
So you’re saying you would’ve watched if only the game featured two teams that sucked more? You don’t sound like a pretty big sports fan...

zumaboy, you're reading more into my post than what I'm saying.


I would have not forgotten about the game if at least one of the teams playing I cared slightly about. Bama's continued excellence is great for them, but not for fan interest across the country. Clemson does not interest me mostly because of geo-graphics, but also because of media bias. The matchup wasn't important to me.


Had I remembered about the game being that night, I would have watched with my remote flicking periodically to other exciting programs, like Big Bang Theory re-runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
447 posts, read 471,733 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Clemson does not interest me mostly because of geo-graphics, but also because of media bias.
As a Clemson alum and follower of their football program for decades, I am thoroughly gobsmacked by the idea that there is media bias in favor of Clemson...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times
Reputation: 2913
Here is another press release that indicates the ratings were great for the game.

https://www.tigernet.com/update/2019...-ratings-32266

'The 2019 CFP National Championship was already a top 10 most-watched cable telecast based on the initial Nielsen reporting. With the new measured audience, the game ranks as the No. 7 most-watched cable telecast ever.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Suburban wasteland of NC
313 posts, read 186,862 times
Reputation: 291
Honestly, the ratings only bother me if it plays some part in the NCAAF changing the CFP. Personally I was thrilled to see Clemson vs AL for the fourth year in a row in the playoffs. Both senior classes went 55-4, both won 2 national titles in the playoff era, and most of those 4 losses were to each other. Clemson's senior class in particular really had something special; not only were they the only 15-0 team in modern history they beat two undefeated teams to get there.

If would be viewers can't appreciate that, then oh well. I guess the NFL is for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
As a Clemson alum and follower of their football program for decades, I am thoroughly gobsmacked by the idea that there is media bias in favor of Clemson...
+1

I distinctly remember Clemson sucking badly for years before Daboo took over. There was a stretch in there where they lost to their in state rival USC 4 years in a row ... and the best USC ever did was two 11 win seasons back to back. Daboo isn't joking when he talks about "little ol Clemson".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Reputation: 12192
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
I distinctly remember Clemson sucking badly for years before Daboo took over. There was a stretch in there where they lost to their in state rival USC 4 years in a row ... and the best USC ever did was two 11 win seasons back to back. Daboo isn't joking when he talks about "little ol Clemson".

Actually, that was Dabo that lost to Carolina and it was 5 years straight.


2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013


Now.. For much of that.. Neither team sucked. The first year, 2009.. Clemson was 9-5 and Carolina was 7-6.. But past that..


2010 - Clemson 6-7, Carolina 9-5


2011 - Clemson 10-4, Carolina 11-2

2012 - Clemson 11-2, Carolina 11-2

2013 - Clemson 11-2, Carolina 11-2

Now.. After that.. Clemson got better and Carolina regressed and are just now starting to pull themselves out of the dumpster.

They were never REALLY bad under Tommy Bowden. They were really bad under Tommy West. They just never lived up to their potential under Bowden. They were always.. Meh.

Bowdens tenure resulted in seasons of 6-6, 9-3, 7-5, 7-6, 9-4, 6-5, 8-4, 8-5, 9-4 and 3-3 when he was fired. Along with a 3-5 record in the mediocre bowls they made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times
Reputation: 2913
I think Bowden's teams had results that matched up with the recruiting. I don't think Clemson ever had a dominant O line during those years.

In my view the ACC was tougher back in the Bowden era. Maryland, BC, Va Tech, Wake, UVA had some of their best years during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top