U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these reasons was the most important cause of lower ratings?
People are tired of Bama and Clemson. 11 47.83%
The game start time is too late for a worknight. 2 8.70%
The game should be played on a Saturday. 8 34.78%
The game wasn't close. 1 4.35%
Other reason (state in post below) 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 AM

1,185 posts, read 873,374 times

Advertisements

Why do you think was the biggest reason that ratings were down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:47 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,571,176 times
Not staying up until midnight on a weeknight to watch football and be groggy the whole next day. This is the reason I don't watch Sunday, Monday or Thursday night NFL games either. In the Eastern time zone these night weekday games are not ideal for those of us who go to work at 7 or 8am. I get that 8pm on the East coast is 5pm in the West. It is terrible compromise. In the East, you stay up too late, in the West you would have to leave work early. Play the game on Sat night.

I am tired of Bama Clemson as well but would've watched if it had been earlier.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
I would have voted for 3 of those reasons.

Worth noting that the stadium wasn't filled to capacity, either. College football is not as popular in the west as it is in the east.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,067,523 times
People are tired of Bama VS Clemson, I think. And more tired of Bama.

Had this been a Oklahoma vs Clemson.. That might have done better. Clemson vs Georgia, perhaps.

Clemson still has a bit of the 'little school that could' view on them. Though they keep this up, that will evaporate fairly soon. Alabama is still looked at as the Empire, similar to the Patriots in the NFL. (Cue Star Wars music)

Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,329,836 times
I think it is a mix of a few reasons. The main reason is people are sick of Alabama and they are tired of seeing Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs.

The main problem I had is it was on Monday night and started and ended late. College football games are played on Saturdays so why in the hell do they have the championship game on Monday night? That is almost as stupid as when they first started the playoffs they were trying to have the semi-final games on New Years Eve night. I swear idiots make the decisions on scheduling these things.

It has nothing to do with the TV rating but the attendance at the stadium for the game was bad because they had the game all the way over on the West coast about as far away from the teams to most likely make it to the championship as they could get, in a pricey area for hotels and in a stadium that people hate. That was pretty stupid as well.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 AM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I would have voted for 3 of those reasons.

Worth noting that the stadium wasn't filled to capacity, either. College football is not as popular in the west as it is in the east.
The game was sold out. What happened were ticket brokers who magically are able to buy large numbers of tickets, could not re-sell them for the massive profit they were hoping for. As a result, you probably had 3,000 or so tickets not be used. But the game itself absolutely sold out.

I'd also add that it's asking a lot for fans to travel across the country, especially after they had to make trips the week before too. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament. Apart from the Final Four and the Elite 8, you see thousands of empty seats at every game. I'd still venture a guess that both Alabama and Clemson each had at least 15,000 fans inside the stadium.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The game was sold out. What happened were ticket brokers who magically are able to buy large numbers of tickets, could not re-sell them for the massive profit they were hoping for. As a result, you probably had 3,000 or so tickets not be used. But the game itself absolutely sold out.

I'd also add that it's asking a lot for fans to travel across the country, especially after they had to make trips the week before too. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament. Apart from the Final Four and the Elite 8, you see thousands of empty seats at every game. I'd still venture a guess that both Alabama and Clemson each had at least 15,000 fans inside the stadium.
Yes, technically it was sold out but there is a bit to that story. I don't know if you have ever tried to get tickets to the championship game or not but there is a process. I got them from the CFB Playoff sales a couple of years ago. You have to put in a ticket request a year in advance when you of course have absolutely no idea who will make it. The ticket request is now open for next years championship game. They then have a drawing in October and if your name is selected you can buy up to 4 tickets. Otherwise, you can buy a "right to buy" tickets if your team makes it to the championship game. Yes that is right, you have to buy a right to buy tickets only if your team makes it with that option and you do not get a refund if your team does not make it (you bought the chance to buy tickets if your team happens to make it). lol Outside of those options, you have to go to one of the ticket resellers and buy tickets from somebody that got them and decided not to go. So while the game did and always will sell out far in advance, a significant portion of them always end up on the resell market. Normally they resell for much more than face value but this year they were way below face value and still did not sell. They ended up giving them to big companies in the area just to try to fill the seats and if you watched the game, you probably noticed there were a lot of empty seats.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM

578 posts, read 372,865 times
It wasn't the can't miss nail biter that the previous 3 title games offered.
That and the late Monday thing.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,790,604 times
They play on Monday because they don't want to compete with the NFL. Now, if you could convince the NFL to play the same times on Saturday as they do on Sunday, it might work.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
They play on Monday because they don't want to compete with the NFL. Now, if you could convince the NFL to play the same times on Saturday as they do on Sunday, it might work.

I had no idea the NFL had games on Saturday and didn't have Monday night football games this time of year. I don't watch NFL and I can't stand it. It is sort of funny because I watch around 9 to 12 college games a week during the season but don't watch a single NFL game. I probably watch more Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame and Wisconsin games than a lot of their own fans do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or