U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM

2,555 posts, read 1,865,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
That's right. The Selmons would have slaughtered anyone.

Such great athletes. I miss them.

....I miss our defense.
Be patient brother. I believe much brighter days are in store for the 'D' in Norman.
And I miss the selmons too. I think of them every time I drive by Eufala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 AM

28,409 posts, read 26,442,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That first game, they(Alabama) hung 355 passing yards on the defense. The other two games.. 155 and 120.. And I maintain that the Sugar Bowl in 2017 was far closer than the final score. Two pick-6's were the real difference in that game. Clemson had no downfield threat and could only muster 188 yards. Bama wasn't much better. They only had about 220.
I wasn't trying to re-litigate old games. My point was that a Jake Coker-led offense put up 45 points on Clemson. Let's take a look at Coker's NFL stats.

Jake Coker: Career Stats at NFL.com

They are identical to Lavar Ball's NBA stats.

If the 2015 Clemson team couldn't hold Alabama down with Jake Coker leading the charge, how could you say they were better than the 2018 team that held Bama to only 16 points?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:06 PM

8,115 posts, read 4,149,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wasn't trying to re-litigate old games. My point was that a Jake Coker-led offense put up 45 points on Clemson. Let's take a look at Coker's NFL stats.

If the 2015 Clemson team couldn't hold Alabama down with Jake Coker leading the charge, how could you say they were better than the 2018 team that held Bama to only 16 points?
One of Alabama's TDs in that game was on a kick return in the 4th quarter.

Alabama also had two touchdowns on a short field after an interception and that weird onside kick recovery.

Clemson got beat with unusual formations featuring the tight end in that game. Alabama had not used the TE much that season despite his pro talent.

Coker was a great college quarterback. College talent doesn't always translate to NFL. Most of the time, it doesn't.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:21 PM

I think the Clemson teams with Tajh Boyd that beat LSU and Ohio State in bowl games would be capable of beating the Watson and Lawrence teams, if they played their best game.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:05 AM

5,608 posts, read 2,384,794 times
Auburn, 2010.

National champs. Cam Newton winning the Heisman.

However, my second favorite team is the 2013 team that came within a whisker of winning the natty on a cobbled-together team. Kick Six and all.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Coker was a great college quarterback.
Coker was not a "great college quarterback." He threw 25 TDs to 8 INTs over the course of his entire college career. No conference honors. Never a finalist for the Davy O'Brien Award. He was a 3-star coming out of HS. Nobody would ever say he was a "great college quarterback." That type of language is reserved for the Tebows, Troy Smiths, J.T. Barretts and Danny Wuerrfels of the world who had great success in college but couldn't sustain it at the next level.

Even if you dismiss all of the "fluky" TDs you say Bama scored in that game, that's still 24 points Coker and Co. put up on the Tiger defense, which is more than the 16 points Tua and Co. put up on the Tiger defense in 2019.

Clemson's 2018-19 defensive line will probably go down as one of the best ever. Certainly a Top 5 in the last 30 years or so. Three D-linemen are projected to go in the 1st Round. I have a hard time believing that Coker or Hurts would find more success against that defense than Tua did.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM

9,532 posts, read 7,218,585 times
Quote:

What does NFL stats have to do with anything?

I mean, should we pull out Tim Tebow's NFL stats? Vince Young? Jameis Winston? AJ McCarron?

NFL stats have no bearing on anything.

However.. To your point. It's not unusual for an average passing team with a heavy run game, which is certainly what I'd call Alabama that year, to explode with a big game in the passing department because the other team overcompensates.

If you want to look at it another way, even this past year.. AL still put up 443 yards. Think about that.. How often does a team put up 400+ yards and score only 16 points? Hardest thing for me to believe is that Harris was their leading rusher with 59 yards.

Clemson didn't really shut down Tua.. they made him look average. Personally, I think that's what he is when under pressure. Average at best. He is, however, exceptional when he has time.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
What does NFL stats have to do with anything?
The point was that Coker was not a good QB. If you noticed, Coker has NO pro stats because he went undrafted and never played a single snap of football in the NFL. That's not even remotely the same as guys like Tebow or Vince Young who were drafted but did not pan out.

Quote:
Clemson didn't really shut down Tua.. they made him look average. Personally, I think that's what he is when under pressure. Average at best. He is, however, exceptional when he has time.
I didn't say anything about them shutting down Tua. I said that they held his offense to 16 points and I highly doubt that the 2015 squad would have been able to do that. This year's Clemson defense was definitely the deepest under Brent Venables.

Just Google "Best Clemson defense ever."

Quote:
This is the best unit in Clemson history. Leave it to a millennial who came of age in the back half of the Bowden regime to make such a claim, but I dare you to refute it when you consider the nature of modern offenses (quarterbacks exist now) and the superior competition today relative to the Danny Ford years. This is the most athletic, smartest, well-coached, and mature defensive roster we have ever seen at Clemson, and you should vocally appreciate every single snap remaining this season; particularly these last two home games.
https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...lemson-history

Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think the Clemson teams with Tajh Boyd that beat LSU and Ohio State in bowl games would be capable of beating the Watson and Lawrence teams, if they played their best game.
Isn't that the same team that lost to your rivals 4-5 years in a row?

I can't believe we haven't heard from any Noles or Canes fans yet. Were the '13 Noles better than the '93 Noles?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the same team that lost to your rivals 4-5 years in a row?

I can't believe we haven't heard from any Noles or Canes fans yet. Were the '13 Noles better than the '93 Noles?
SC had a title team type of defense those years plus Clemson turned it over a lot in those games. If a team plays other good teams, they are bound to lose some of them.

The bowl wins against Ohio State and LSU were two of the best bowl wins in Clemson history.

Those Clemson teams lost to the Jamies Winston FSU teams too. Those teams were stacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or