U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 AM

28,409 posts, read 26,450,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I've already said that Coker was playing with on a team with a good rush offense which opens up the passing game. You seem to want to debate a strawman argument.
You do realize that your previous posts didn't vanish, right?

Quote:
Coker was a great college quarterback.
Then you tried to tone it down from "great" to "good."

Quote:
He was a good college QB on a team with a dominant run game.
Then you tried to Make Coker Great Again (trademarked), but got your facts wrong, which made this attempt an epic fail.

Quote:
A college qb who wins a Natty , only has one loss, and is drafted by NFL is a great college QB.
I'm pretty sure I'm not debating a strawman argument (look up the definition of a "strawman," btw). These are clearly your words. You said he was at the very least a "good" QB, and I don't think there's any objective basis for saying this when looking at advanced stats, his statistical rankings relative to his peers, his lack of conference honors, his recruiting ranking coming out of HS, and finally the fact he went undrafted and failed to make a NFL practice squad. Yes, he won a title on a stacked team, but so did Javale McGee. So what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM

8,115 posts, read 4,152,902 times
Coker is only person on Alabama,s team that made accurate passes down the field in a national game against a defense that held Olklahoma to 17 points

Do you think Mayfield is a mediocre qb too

It is easy for you to criticize. He wasn't playing against big 12 type soft defenses as well.

I don,t understand why you think a Clemson grad is trying to puff up Coker. I think he was a solid college QB, I did not mean he is as good as deshaun Watson or Peyton Manning.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-19-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 11:14 AM

8,456 posts, read 2,508,087 times
Clemson's 2018 team is easily the best, but the Tigers had better defenses in 1989 and 1990.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 AM

8,115 posts, read 4,152,902 times
Why do you think the Clemson defense was better in those years?

Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,460,818 times
For Ohio State, I actually believe the 2002 NC team is their best (now i wasn't alive to witness some of the great Woody Hayes teams in the 60s and 70s). Nationally, everyone was shocked that we upset Cryami in that Fiesta Bowl, heck many were shocked it was even a game but I knew we'd have a great chance to win. When you get down to it, that talent we had on both sides of the ball was practically equal. And Jim Tressel was a far better coach than Larry Coker, just wasn't flashy. A few years ago, I read an article that stated there were more future NFL players on the field in that game than any other college football game before hand or since. Both teams had bench warmers that eventually became studs in the NFL (AJ Hawk for OSU comes to mind as 1 for sure).

Also, OSU's 1996 & 1998 teams were the 2 best teams that I've seen that failed to get the job done in winning a NC.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 PM

379 posts, read 175,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
For Ohio State, I actually believe the 2002 NC team is their best (now i wasn't alive to witness some of the great Woody Hayes teams in the 60s and 70s). Nationally, everyone was shocked that we upset Cryami in that Fiesta Bowl, heck many were shocked it was even a game but I knew we'd have a great chance to win. When you get down to it, that talent we had on both sides of the ball was practically equal. And Jim Tressel was a far better coach than Larry Coker, just wasn't flashy. A few years ago, I read an article that stated there were more future NFL players on the field in that game than any other college football game before hand or since. Both teams had bench warmers that eventually became studs in the NFL (AJ Hawk for OSU comes to mind as 1 for sure).

Also, OSU's 1996 & 1998 teams were the 2 best teams that I've seen that failed to get the job done in winning a NC.
AJ Hawk is a stud in the NFL? Lol. He's never made the Pro Bowl and only has 20 career sacks.... not a stud at all.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 PM

6,975 posts, read 6,281,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post

I know Ohio State's 1954 team was really good but I wasn't alive. But I was alive when the 1968 team played. They would be a candidate. They clobbered Michigan who was ranked #4 50-14 and then went on to beat USC and OJ Simpson in the Rose Bowl. Trojans were #2.

Woody had a number of teams (probably six or more) that finished just off the pace for the NC.

And those were the golden years for those of us who watched Ohio State and Michigan from afar. Woody was always talking crazy about wars and stuff (sort of a precursor to Mike Leach) or he was throwing a tantrum. Meanwhile Bo was always grousing about this or that and he always looked like his head was about to explode. Bo's teams always managed to screw things up and get beat. Bo's nickname was "Bo Schembungler".

As great a game as Ohio State and Michigan is, it's just not quite the same as it was with Woody and Bo.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM

9,532 posts, read 7,222,885 times
Quote:
Why do you think the Clemson defense was better in those years?

He's got.. I won't necessarily agree with his point, but he has a point. That '89 team was a pretty stout defense, holding 6 of 12 opponents to 7 points or less.

In 1990, it was 7 of 12, including shutting out #16 Illinois in the HoF Bowl.

But.. Honestly, they didn't really play strong teams those years.. And I can't remember more than 1 defensive player that went on to the NFL from those teams.

The 2018 team.. I mean, you just can't hold a candle to that line.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM

5,608 posts, read 2,388,018 times
Auburn Tigers -- 2010

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

8,456 posts, read 2,508,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's got.. I won't necessarily agree with his point, but he has a point. That '89 team was a pretty stout defense, holding 6 of 12 opponents to 7 points or less.

In 1990, it was 7 of 12, including shutting out #16 Illinois in the HoF Bowl.

But.. Honestly, they didn't really play strong teams those years. And I can't remember more than 1 defensive player that went on to the NFL from those teams.

The 2018 team.. I mean, you just can't hold a candle to that line.
You're wrong about the schedules in 1989 and 1990. The ACC was the country's best conference in 1990 and featured the country's best offense in UVA (before QB Moore got hurt) as well as national champs Goeogia Tech. In 1989 the ACC was strong as well, featuring an excellent UVA team as well as a top-25 good Spurrier-coached Duke team, and Clemson beat the hell out of a top-4 FSU team in Tallahassee.

Those Clemson defenses featured at least four future pro-bowlers: LB Ed McDaniel, DT Chester McGlockton, CB Dexter Davis, and LB Levon Kirkland. LB John Johnson played five years for the Niners, Bengals, and Saints. LB Wayne Simmons played six seasons for the Packers, Chiefs, and Bills. LB Ashley Sheppard played 3 years for the Vikings and Jags.

That linebacker corps holds up well in comparison to our DL from last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or