Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 04:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,774,597 times

Advertisements

If the following games.....

FLORIDA VS. FLORIDA STATE
GEORGIA VS. GEORGIA TECH
SOUTH CAROLINA VS. CLEMSON
IOWA VS. IOWA STATE
KENTUCKY VS. LOUISVILLE

are played every year...

isn't it absurd the the following...

TEXAS VS. TEXAS A&M

is never played???

Ok. I get it. There is more "bad blood" between the Longhorns and Aggies than in any of those other battles between the two public big boys in any state. And certainly there is way, way more recent bad blood in the Lone Star State

UT, the only university besides Notre Dame that has much control over its landscape, was creating a real negative for TAMU by being in the same conference as the Horns. It was a brilliant, almost machiavellian move to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, far more brilliant than Mizzou doing the same or the similar move that Arkansas made going from the SWC to the SEC. A&M...in one broad stroke....put itself in the strongest of all major conferences, doing so as the only Texas school in the conference, and landed itself in a league where it was relatively parity with all members.....and truthfully, among the SEC elites.

UT obviously was, shall we say, pissed. And I suspect (though don't know) that it was Texas who pulled the plug on its biggest rival because A&M chose to leave the SWC/Big 12 fold. A&M had reasons for dropping the series (although not as big and certainly I have no evidence that this is the case). If going to the SEC meant staying clear from Texas, opting to play in a different universe than Texas, then one could easily expect them to choose to give up UT altogether, end a series where they were second fiddle....and one that gave every indication that such would continue to play out. Still...UT had much more to fear in losing to A&M than A&M had in losing to Texas.

All that said....if, as noted, FL, GA, SC, IA and KY can give their instate fans a battle between the public in-state power guys, wouldn't it make sense for TX to join that club??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,987,924 times
The state's politicians want it to return. The previous governor was an Aggie and he wanted it back. The current governor is a Longhorn and he wants it back. But they haven't wanted it to happen badly enough to threaten UT's funding. That would be a way to make it happen. Otherwise, it's not coming back until some people in power at UT retire or leave for new jobs.

Texas has 4 public university systems. UT still plays Texas Tech, which is the other system school still in the Big XII. Also, UT and A&M still meet in non-revenue sports like softball. That'll have to suffice for a while.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,230,326 times
To me the real absurdity is how they got there in the first place. How many teams abandoned the Big 12? And what was the one common denominator that was the root cause of a lot of instability? Have any other Power 5 conferences had this same issue hemorrhaging teams and constant hints of instability?

I am the furthest thing from an Aggie fan, but for A&M to abandon the conference AND the long historical series means something was amiss with the way things were run in the Big 12. I enjoyed the Aggies sticking it to the Big 12.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:01 AM

12,893 posts, read 13,207,650 times
Rivalries? So what? OU doesn’t play Nebraska in football anymore either. Besides, Texas has offered twice to schedule home & home series with the aggies. A&M turned them down because they are afraid of losing, and that would hurt their “vaunted” SEC standing. There is an obvious reason why the SEC didn’t allow them to play UT in the Texas Bowl two years ago.

The typical Longhorn fan’s viewpoint of why the game should not be renewed: A&M does not deserve the recognition.

The aggies are lying cowards who ran away from Big Brother Bevo. Do not believe their deluded lies why they departed. The Longhorn Network had nothing to do with it either. UT had offered them a partnership in the network and they turned it down because they were afraid Big Brother would dominate the ratings and control. Nothing was stopping A&M from negotiating on their own to sell their 3rd tier sports rights to a TV network. OU did it, but they had some brand to sell.

They were (and are) mostly petulant little brats who rarely showed any class - case in point: the final game halftime in 2011, the UT band showed respect for A&M by playing “Thanks for the Memories”, while the Aggie band did their juvenile “saw ‘em off” formation as usual. Plus Texas fans will never forget the treatment our football team was subjected to in College Station the weekend of the Bonfire tragedy. Nor the serious vandalism of our war memorial football field a few years before. Even their AD couldn’t refer to UT in his newsletters as “The University of Texas”, but instead sarcastically as “our friends from the state capital”. Small stuff, but it is befitting of their official lack of character. Never mind uniformed thugs attacking unarmed visiting SMU cheerleaders on the field with swords or shoveling horse manure at the visiting Texas band.

Texas did not cause the breakup of the Big 12. Mizzou & Colorado had been looking to go elsewhere for years even before the formation of the Big 12. Nebraska thought they were going to run the new conference, but they got outsmarted by an arrogant former track coach from KSU.
All major B12 conference decisions were done by 11-1 votes.

When the sweeping conference realignment fever struck college football 20 years ago, Texas was openly looking to move, while taking A&M and Tech along as a package. In the meantime A&M was secretly negotiating with the SEC to move by themselves. They betrayed their State and gave the SEC easier access to poaching recruits. However, they are a perfect fit for the redneck SEC culture. But it is amusing to see their conference mates waking up to what an odd cult of “traditions” they have fostered for themselves. They are just plain weird.

“Richest school”, my butt - that is an absolute joke. I hope they enjoy another 80 years without a top 4 finish in any of the big three sports, and the usual mid tier 3rd or 4th place status in their conference - just like they were in the Big 12. They should be used to riding Nick Saban’s coattails by now.

The A&M motto that “Aggies do not lie, cheat or steal” is another joke we could expand on, but they are a very tiresome bunch.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
To me the real absurdity is how they got there in the first place. How many teams abandoned the Big 12? And what was the one common denominator that was the root cause of a lot of instability? Have any other Power 5 conferences had this same issue hemorrhaging teams and constant hints of instability?

I am the furthest thing from an Aggie fan, but for A&M to abandon the conference AND the long historical series means something was amiss with the way things were run in the Big 12. I enjoyed the Aggies sticking it to the Big 12.
I can think of one thing the Big 12 has that no other conference has:

The University of Texas at Austin

I mentioned before there are only two schools that can rule the landscape and get special privilege and power: understandably the first has to be Notre Dame. The second is Texas. UT is responsible for the exodus. nebraska was leary from the get go about breaking up the Big Eight and joining for SWC schools from Texas. First off, it was placed in a different division from OU and lost the Sooners being permanantly scheduled. More importantly, they were flumoxed by the Horns’ control of the conference. The Big Test, then into expansion mode was an obvious choice...particularly for academics, also for being a big market conferene and the ability to find a natural rival with Oklahoma lost. The B1G offered one and the Big 12 did not: the Iowa Hawkeyes.

The state of Colorado sawitself of the mountains and thewest...not of the plains, so CU WENT TO THE Pac 12. Mizzou wanted the Big Ten which didn’t want it: the B1G already had the StL market with the Illini. And, of course, A&M was tired of playing second fiddle in the Lone Star State.

And each of the four had escaping UT as a goal.

There was something else they had in mind. The power conferences were going to be whittled down to four. Three conferences were shoo-in’s: the Pac Ten with its West, the Big Ten with its North and the SEC with its South.

The Big East, heavilly a b’ball conference, looked pretty much like toast.

That left B12 vs. ACC and ACC was holding the cards, particularly due to its ability to earn the conference of the East status by picking off the football/basketball schools from the Big East (which they did with Pitt, Syr amd BC)

Thus along with separatng from Texas, they had leaving a conference whose status looked like it was tanking

The Big 12 has always been a marriage of convnience wih schools that didn’t belong toge her.

Money and markets b came the motive for realigment and MHO, boththe Big Eight and SEC were better in concept than the Big 12. The Big Eight was that folksy, down to earth world of the plains. The SWC was inbreed and lik marrying your sister....but all in a good way. The Texas schools (whether at six, seven or eight) made up the entirecconference xcept for Arkansas. Its all in thecfamily routine woked....all hose schools and each had its own hand signals....how col that. Sure scandalvhelped nail the conference where, it seemed, only arice had virtue. But is was its restriction only to the State of Texas’s markets was what really done it in

Old 05-06-2019, 11:47 AM

5,690 posts, read 4,611,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
When the sweeping conference realignment fever struck college football 20 years ago, Texas was openly looking to move, while taking A&M and Tech along as a package. In the meantime A&M was secretly negotiating with the SEC to move by themselves. They betrayed their State and gave the SEC easier access to poaching recruits. However, they are a perfect fit for the redneck SEC culture. But it is amusing to see their conference mates waking up to what an odd cult of “traditions” they have fostered for themselves. They are just plain weird.
Wow, very wide brush there ScoPro. I got it that you have no love for A&M, but you just called out an entire conference.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Well, Vandy, Georgia, & Florida seem to be the outliers. The rest speak for themselves.

I have no problem with most Aggies (two in the family & several friends). It is the redass bunch including some of the corps, plus many of their recent administrators who are really stupid people in the way they have conducted themselves. Not to mention their generational delusions of grandeur as far as their football program’s history.

It is shameful how the present leadership of the university has been turning it into a diploma mill.... because “size matters”. My nieces and nephews don’t appreciate the devaluation of their hard earned degrees from A&M. Inflating their enrollment numbers by admitting almost everyone who applies, then going to the lege to beg $50,000,000+ because they diluted the $$ spent per student? And that’s just after they bought a useless 3rd rate law school in DFW for $73,000,000 to brag about to their SEC brethren? More lawyers?

And then they have the gall lobbying to prevent Texas Tech from establishing a modest veterinary school out west? Amazing idiocy to anyone with a clue, IMO. How can anyone take them seriously after such jackassery?

Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM

Edsg25, Nebraska took their ball and went home when big changes were made at the insistence of Texas. Apparently 10 other schools preferred UT leadership instead of Nebraska’s (Deloss Dodds, the former KSU track coach turned UT AD, who was not well liked on the 40 Acres). But don’t forget who successfully sponsored the Huskers admission to the AAU. Now I see Nebraska has been booted out of that academic organization. What happened there?

Agreed about the TV market driving the realignment frenzy, but that ain’t over yet. I think the Big12 is doomed and we’ll eventually see it split. No tears there on my part.
Just need to keep the Texas/OU rivalry going in the Cotton Bowl Stadium in Dallas regardless where the schools wind up.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,611,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, Vandy, Georgia, & Florida seem to be the outliers. The rest speak for themselves.
I went to South Carolina.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I went to South Carolina.
And this poor guy has to live with the fact USC is in Los Angeles and Carolina is in Chapel Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football