U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:01 AM

1,181 posts, read 587,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I've got to agree with this coaches analysis. When I go to college football games, the mix of students vs older fans and alumni seems to be changing rapidly. The percent of students there are steadily dropping. They must find it much more fun to stay in the dorms and play video games. One other observation is the students that are at the games (not just football, but other sports as well) are not nearly as boisterous and involved. I'm sure this isn't at many schools, ESPECIALLY the overwhelmingly powerful programs. Yet, I'd wager that what I'm seeing is at the majority of colleges.
Not very good trends.
I've seen the contrasts. Attendance is very sparse here in New Mexico. By contrast, I lived in Florida for over ten years and graduated from UF. The UF-Miami game was ultra-crowded with a national focus and Gameday at Disneyworld. In Arizona, the ASU games are fairly attended but tend to peak for some games. Notre Dame games are usually sold out (despite their New Year's pattern of flops going back 25 years). Nebraska has great attendance. So do some of the SEC schools. FSU varies. It was strong about 10-5 years ago but dropped off the past three years. USF has gone up dramatically since the 90s but still not as high as UF or FSU. Miami has a bizarre fanbase. Some games are very sparsely attended. Other times, they sell out in high profile games. Ohio State appears to be consistent. So does Michigan. But Purdue and Illinois are not as strong for attendance. There is a lot of variation. CU Boulder was strong in the early to mid 90s but faded since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 05:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,049,324 times
Too many commercial breaks. A game including halftime and timeouts used to last a couple of hours. Now it's at least four.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 AM

228 posts, read 90,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
This has a lot to do with why I no longer go. Ticket prices are ridiculous. Another thing is the advent of affordable high definition televisions, which have made the home experience much more enjoyable and realistic. Let's see - I can drive for an hour and a half to the stadium, pay $30 to park in an area that is in another time zone from the stadium, pay $20-25 for a drink and a burger/hot dog, have people constantly standing up in front of me or wanting me to move so that they can go to the concession stand or rest room, get stuck in traffic on the way home once I find my car, which won't be quick, or -

I can sit on my couch at no cost, five feet from the bathroom, 15 feet from the kitchen, and not have to deal with any of it - with a much better view of the action than I would ever have from any seat in the stadium.

I know all about the game day atmosphere aspect of sporting events, but as I get older that means less and less to me.
What he said ^^^

I'll be going to our rivalry game , Saturday after Thanksgiving, and maybe a road game in San Diego.

I use to be a season ticket holder.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 PM

3,453 posts, read 5,851,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Too many commercial breaks. A game including halftime and timeouts used to last a couple of hours. Now it's at least four.
That, too! With dunk and dunk spread offense, tons of clog stoppages with incomplete passes. Besides, I can bum feeds and watch more games at home. If Iím housesitting for a friend, I can watch four hours of Auburn-Oregon at his place!

Old 09-01-2019, 08:54 PM

358 posts, read 136,656 times
Not sure who wathed the Georgia at Vanderbilt game. It was a home game for Georgia. 90% of stands was red. Crazy. How does Geoegia do this? I've seen it before. Last year, they went to Notre Dame and had more Georgia fans than ND.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:59 PM

43,739 posts, read 53,241,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
A lot of it, in my opinion, is the way we watch sports. The product on my 75" UHD TV is good, you don't deal with traffic, and the crazy prices for college games now.
This. I mean, huge screen tv, your own snacks, not taking a bazillion years to fight traffic and pee in a port-o-box...with the way they have the cameras set up, you're so in the game, too.

And the prices of the tickets are stupid.

AND, at least at my alma mater, they screwed the students out of their seats and sold them to whoever. The students used to get a whole side of the stadium. Now they're stuffed into one endzone.

AND we're all tired of scandals, asshat behavior, and stupid stuff.

As for the same teams winning...that changes all the time. Like every 10-15 years, there's another bunch of high-performing top teams.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 PM

7,060 posts, read 6,335,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Not sure who wathed the Georgia at Vanderbilt game. It was a home game for Georgia. 90% of stands was red. Crazy. How does Geoegia do this? I've seen it before. Last year, they went to Notre Dame and had more Georgia fans than ND.
Vandy has a 40,000 seat stadium. To their typical non-SEC games they draw about 25K. In SEC play the visiting fans fill the place up. Georgia and Bama fans in particular will go the extra mile to get tickets and there you are. A grandstand full of red licking their chops for a blowout of poor Vandy.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,869 posts, read 33,419,301 times
He's right that phones are a factor, but he comes across as a crotchety "get off of my lawn" type. Phones aren't preventing us from enjoying life, they're enabling us to enjoy multiple experiences at one time.

Last weekend, I chose to be out having fun on a lovely, late summer weekend, rather than sitting at home in front of the TV to watch my favorite team. An app on my phone gave me details of every score, as it happened. I watched the highlights at home later.

Old Today, 06:37 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,324,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
What he said ^^^

I'll be going to our rivalry game , Saturday after Thanksgiving, and maybe a road game in San Diego.

I use to be a season ticket holder.
My city is getting an NFL team next year. The stadium is well on the way to completion, and it will be a major deal for the city. As far as going to any games, between the PSL, the ticket cost, sparse parking and the general high cost of anything inside a stadium, I might - might - go to one game per year.

Old Today, 06:41 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,324,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
This isn't a new phenomenon. In the mid-1970s, when I was a student at Oklahoma, some of my buddies and I packed up and drove to Nashville for a road game with Vanderbilt. Even though it was nearly 700 miles for us and our fellow fans to travel, there was a ton of crimson in the stands. We went to a restaurant near the stadium before the game, and a Vandy fan asked me if we traveled that well to every road game.

I heard on ESPN Radio that LSU fans have bought something like 30,000 tickets for their game at Texas tomorrow. They won't be a majority, but they will have a significant presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or