Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 PM

459 posts, read 475,105 times

Advertisements

https://wgntv.com/2019/07/20/pat-fit...dance-decline/

The experience at a lot of College Football games isn't as good, as it once was, and the same teams year in and year out are typically in the hunt. The rest of the country cannot compete with these 4 to 6 teams. I use to go to a lot of College Football games every year and now and it seems every year it gets less and less enjoyable as far as you know this year your team, or teams aren't going anywhere why bother going?
At the end of 2020 the teams in the hunt are

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma

The order of this is probably wrong, but close.

Good job NCAA, keep up the great work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
https://wgntv.com/2019/07/20/pat-fit...dance-decline/

The experience at a lot of College Football games isn't as good, as it once was, and the same teams year in and year out are typically in the hunt. The rest of the country cannot compete with these 4 to 6 teams. I use to go to a lot of College Football games every year and now and it seems every year it gets less and less enjoyable as far as you know this year your team, or teams aren't going anywhere why bother going?
At the end of 2020 the teams in the hunt are

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma

The order of this is probably wrong, but close.

Good job NCAA, keep up the great work!
I've got to agree with this coaches analysis. When I go to college football games, the mix of students vs older fans and alumni seems to be changing rapidly. The percent of students there are steadily dropping. They must find it much more fun to stay in the dorms and play video games. One other observation is the students that are at the games (not just football, but other sports as well) are not nearly as boisterous and involved. I'm sure this isn't at many schools, ESPECIALLY the overwhelmingly powerful programs. Yet, I'd wager that what I'm seeing is at the majority of colleges.
Not very good trends.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:40 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
It's become a lot like the NBA. You may not know who is going to win it all but you know it's going to be either Clemson or Alabama. College Football does have rivalry week though which will always draw eyeballs and get alumni excited. And depending on the bowl and the school(s) involved, bowl season will be a hit too.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:35 PM

22 posts, read 10,958 times
Yes he has a good point. The smart phone has changed our society, there is no denying that. Part of the decline is the ticket prices keep going up. Also, you have to factor in parking, concessions, souvenirs, etc.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
It's become a lot like the NBA. You may not know who is going to win it all but you know it's going to be either Clemson or Alabama. College Football does have rivalry week though which will always draw eyeballs and get alumni excited. And depending on the bowl and the school(s) involved, bowl season will be a hit too.
There has never been a wide variety of teams winning football titles.

Clemson is an example of program breaking through and should give hope to other programs that have not won a title.

It wasn't long ago when Miami and Nebraska were winning a lot of titles. Things change.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:48 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
There has never been a wide variety of teams winning football titles.

Clemson is an example of program breaking through and should give hope to other programs that have not won a title.

It wasn't long ago when Miami and Nebraska were winning a lot of titles. Things change.
I get that, but Alabama and Clemson are expected to meet again for the championship, they will both very likely go into the championship game undefeated again too like last year. It's been like this for 3 years now. College Football has little parity but it wasn't like you knew which two teams would be playing for the title before the season started.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 PM

Clemson wasn't in the title game two years ago. Lost to Alabama in 1st round.

I didn't know Clemson was going to be in the playoffs the past two years.

Even Deshaun Watson's last year, they had to beat Auburn on the road and FSU on the road.

The last two years, Clemson had a first time starter at QB.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:33 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Gotta say it. It's all about the ticket prices.

I did some quick research. In 1978, Bear Bryant's heyday, a ticket to an Alabama game was $10. In today's dollars, that's around $39.

For 2019, a ticket to an Alabama game starts at $75.

Ticket prices have almost doubled.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:44 PM

that's because people are willing to pay higher prices.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
that's because people are willing to pay higher prices.
Simple supply and demand for sure, but it will be interesting to see when Saban retires and IF Bama returns to an average or slightly above average program, if the prices stay the same or maybe even go down, because the demand has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football